Canonical releases Ubuntu Phone OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

slayr76

Mar 26, 2012
perth
Re: Canonical releases Ubuntu Mobile

Well you can't jailbreak iPhone 5 or 4S on iOS6 or higher to my knowledge, so you either own a really old iPhone like the 4 or 3GS, the dev community for iPhone has never been so stagnant an still going nowhere, how long has iOS6 been out ? Lol exactly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Last edited:

times_infinity

Well you can't jailbreak iPhone 5 or 4S on iOS6 or higher to my knowledge, so you either own a really old iPhone like the 4 or 3GS, the dev community for iPhone has never been so stagnant an going nowhere.

He could be on iOS 5.1.1.
iOS6 jailbreak for A5 devices and higher is coming soon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

slayr76

Mar 26, 2012
perth

He could be on iOS 5.1.1.
iOS6 jailbreak for A5 devices and higher is coming soon.

Yea by the time iOS 7 comes out, I'm so glad I don't live in that world anymore waiting months later to be able to update just to be able to jailbreak an all the bs that goes along with it.

Last edited:

orangekid

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Apr 10, 2009
Well you can't jailbreak iPhone 5 or 4S on iOS6 or higher to my knowledge, so you either own a really old iPhone like the 4 or 3GS, the dev community for iPhone has never been so stagnant an going nowhere.

Well not to steer away from the topic, but It's actually a 4S on 5.1.1, which I wouldn't call "really old." The iOS 6 untethered jailbreak is coming pretty soon, at which point I will update.

5.1.1 It is still very relevant and very nice jailbroken with some fun tweaks, especially if you know how to theme. iOS 6 didn't really add a whole lot.

Mobile ubuntu will provide us with yet another option with a new sleek UI and great platform from what I can tell, and it will be like having 2 phones in 1 again, like my HD2.

slayr76

Mar 26, 2012
perth

Well not to steer away from the topic, but It's actually a 4S on 5.1.1, which I wouldn't call "really old." The iOS 6 untethered jailbreak is coming pretty soon, at which point I will update.

5.1.1 It is still very relevant and very nice jailbroken with some fun tweaks, especially if you know how to theme. iOS 6 didn't really add a whole lot.

Mobile ubuntu will provide us with yet another option with a new sleek UI and great platform from what I can tell, and it will be like having 2 phones in 1 again, like my HD2.

Is Ubuntu mobile os coming out for iPhone ?
That would be the only thing that would persuade me to use that phone ever again.

Last edited:

orangekid

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Apr 10, 2009
Is Ubuntu mobile os coming out for iPhone ?
That would be the only thing that would persuade me to use that phone ever again.

What I mean is that my Galaxy Nexus will have two operating systems to choose from, and the iPhone gives me a third option. Just like when I had my HD2 and my 3GS, I could go Winmo, Android, Winpho 7, or iOS.

The whole point is that more choices is better, and iOS jailbroken, as an option, is not that bad at all. The only reason I am saying that is because it was brought up condescendingly earlier.

I am very excited about Ubuntu mobile on my Galaxy Nexus.

beekay201

Nov 8, 2010

What I mean is that my Galaxy Nexus will have two operating systems to choose from, and the iPhone gives me a third option. Just like when I had my HD2 and my 3GS, I could go Winmo, Android, Winpho 7, or iOS.

The whole point is that more choices is better, and iOS jailbroken, as an option, is not that bad at all. The only reason I am saying that is because it was brought up condescendingly earlier.

I am very excited about Ubuntu mobile on my Galaxy Nexus.

You're missing B2G and openWebOS.

sent from my Google Galaxy Nexus

jscurtu

Nov 20, 2010
Saarbrücken
launchpad.net

IMO they (Canonical) will end up creating that.

The community might, canonical won't ... But then again, that could of happened long ago already, the question is why it did not?
There would need not only a runtime for android apps but also a layer between notifications and indicators..

Juno-First

Apr 21, 2010
Stoke on Trent
I really miss my HD2, there was so much choice regards which OS & even flavours of OS such as Android Sense too.
The only thing pretty much on Gnex is basic Android & MIUI. Granted the developers & themers do a great job with just the basic Android but this Ubuntu mobile will be great addition & hopefully there will be another OS section for the Gnex.

Oh, the bugs this hour on Ubuntu 12.10...
*when resuming from suspend the wifi sometimes does not connect to the internet & a reset is required
*if changing static ip settings over wifi to a different router & going from eg 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.254 as the default gateway then a reset is required

I hope Ubuntu mobile dont have as many issues

Last edited:

jimmyhook

Dec 14, 2010

I brought up the Library Of Congress's legal opinion, which has the force of law in the US, to illustrate a point. NOBODY IS SUING CANONICAL case closed.

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010

Anyone here tried developing for Ubuntu Mobile yet? Just going through the sample currency app makes it seem that even beginners could make simple apps.

Being able to utilize both native applications and HTML5 applications is a major upside for UM, in my opinion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mfsr98

Nov 26, 2011
Porto

MAYBE people will develop when the actual OS is out??

dbnaruto

Feb 23, 2010
it might receive a custom build but the gnex gets the original

Speaking of official builds, has there been any word on the fate of the Verizon and Sprint models? I assume that a port would be very easy, but I have not heard a peep. I would think that the builds would be for the International (GSM) phones, at least at first.

tallnerd1985

Dec 8, 2008
Vancouver, WA

Speaking of official builds, has there been any word on the fate of the Verizon and Sprint models? I assume that a port would be very easy, but I have not heard a peep. I would think that the builds would be for the International (GSM) phones, at least at first.

Supposedly all the source code for everything on the VZW and Sprint variants are there so some think it should be a straight forward build but I am skeptical if it comes out at the same time as the GSM build but who knows until it happens.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

insane08

Oct 22, 2010
NYC
Thread has slowed down quick.
Seems like some people have died waiting for this release.

Hasn't even been a month yet lol.

almos there

Supposedly all the source code for everything on the VZW and Sprint variants are there so some think it should be a straight forward build but I am skeptical if it comes out at the same time as the GSM build but who knows until it happens.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

And yea they won't release all of them at once I believe. Maybe a few weeks apart after they see how the gsm holds up.
Won't be much of a wait hopefully..

Last edited:

withbloodskies

Jul 26, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga

Thread has slowed down quick.
Seems like some people have died waiting for this release.

Hasn't even been a month yet lol.

almos there

And yea they won't release all of them at once I believe. Maybe a few weeks apart after they see how the gsm holds up.
Won't be much of a wait hopefully..
Man.. I'm waiting like a kid needs to use the bathroom. I want! The best we can do is modify our phone ui to make it look like UM. I guess we all are waiting for some concrete details on certain aspects of the OS.

Reactions: insane08
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Canonical just announced their mobile OS called Ubuntu Mobile
    Now, you're probably wondering why I put this in the GNex general.
    Let me tell you.
    The dev phone at this phase for UM is the one and only, Galaxy Nexus.
    As seen here: http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/02/ubuntu-for-smartphones/
    And in pretty much every picture of it on http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone

I made this thread for discussion, speculation and the likes :)

So, how long do you think until the first build is avalable for us?

UPDATE: Everything we know so far (basic information and release times) are here:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/18y9ij/when_this_post_is_3_hours_old_canonical_will/

Official instructions for installation (You need to have a Ubuntu/compatable Linux distribution installed):
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install
    Easiest way to install the preview image:
    (Method discovered by eng.stk)
    For people wondering about install (tried with TWRP):

1. Nandroid backup
    2. Factory Reset
    3. Grab quantal-preinstalled-armel+maguro.zip (MD5: e4c9c5601019ec7ce24f43f317361982) and quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip (MD5: edd3c43909a6e73ac254b2673d40cc53) from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch-preview/quantal/mwc-demo/
    4. Flash quantal-preinstalled-armel+maguro.zip
    5. Flash quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip (this one will take a while, grab some coffee :laugh:)
    6. Reboot (screen will go black but after a few seconds Ubuntu is up)
    7. Profit :highfive:

This install didn't wiped my sdcard. I just restored my TWRP backup after a short Ubuntu testdrive.
    If you are paranoid, just copy your stuf from SDCARD to your PC before flashing.
    How to go back to Android?
    It's easy.
    You can either restore the Nandroid backup you made earlier (assuming you followed the instructions all the way) or just flash a ROM. It's as easy as that.
    Do you work for canonical?

Yes...

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Only question I have, if I load this onto my Galaxy Nexus, how easy will it be to re-install Android if I don't like it?

If Canonical get this right then more people might give it a try, if getting Android back is to differ-cult then not sure I'll attempt it.
    It's as easy as flashing a new rom... you flash ubuntu from cwm and you have ubuntu, go back to the recovery and flash android or your backup
    Install Ubuntu the easy way

For people wondering about install (tried with TWRP):

1. Nandroid backup
    2. Factory Reset
    3. Grab quantal-preinstalled-armel+maguro.zip (MD5: e4c9c5601019ec7ce24f43f317361982) and quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip (MD5: edd3c43909a6e73ac254b2673d40cc53) from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch-preview/quantal/mwc-demo/
    4. Flash quantal-preinstalled-armel+maguro.zip
    5. Flash quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip (this one will take a while, grab some coffee :laugh:)
    6. Reboot (screen will go black but after a few seconds Ubuntu is up)
    7. Profit :highfive:

This install didn't wiped my sdcard. I just restored my TWRP backup after a short Ubuntu testdrive.
    If you are paranoid, just copy your stuf from SDCARD to your PC before flashing.
    Canonical just announced their mobile OS called Ubuntu Mobile
    Now, you're probably wondering why I put this in the GNex general.
    Let me tell you.
    The dev phone at this phase for UM is the one and only, Galaxy Nexus.
    As seen here: http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/02/ubuntu-for-smartphones/
    And in pretty much every picture of it on http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone

I made this thread for discussion, speculation and the likes :)

So, how long do you think until the first build is avalable for us?
    Installing Ubuntu on your phone is very easy, you can do this from cwm...
    I will keep you guys updated once we release the img files!
    Keyboard

Hey folks , here is a screen of the keyboard