[Q] Note 10.1 2014 charges very slowly

Search This thread

RuteNL

Nov 21, 2013
Sneek
I just bought a new Note 10.1 2014 edition, everything works fine, except the battery takes 30 hours to charge to 100%!
The screen was off the entire time it was charging, but the device was still on, in airplane mode, with power saving mode on and the gps was off.
I'm using the stock samsung charger I got with it, but with a american-european converter, although I don't think that should matter, because on the box it said it could take over 10A, and the stock samsung charger is 2.0A.
The device doenst register the charger as a USB or anything, it realizes that it's charging via AC.
Is my cable, samsung charger or converter just dirty/broken? or is there something wrong with the device?

ps, I have Cleanrom 2.0 installed, and use some Gravity Box tweaks

Thanks

lsherif

Apr 11, 2008
Cairo
I just bought a new Note 10.1 2014 edition, everything works fine, except the battery takes 30 hours to charge to 100%!
The screen was off the entire time it was charging, but the device was still on, in airplane mode, with power saving mode on and the gps was off.
I'm using the stock samsung charger I got with it, but with a american-european converter, although I don't think that should matter, because on the box it said it could take over 10A, and the stock samsung charger is 2.0A.
The device doenst register the charger as a USB or anything, it realizes that it's charging via AC.
Is my cable, samsung charger or converter just dirty/broken? or is there something wrong with the device?

Thanks

If you have the Snapdragon P605 , then this should take around 3-4 hours for full charge from 0%, while Exynos processors P600/601 normally takes 5-6 hours charge time.

So probably you have a defected or malfunctioning charger or cable , try charging without the converter & see if the case is still the same , then that will be either a faulty cable or charger.

Bsmith0731

Jan 15, 2013

Thanks

I have the 600 and it takes 3 to 4 hours.

If you have the Snapdragon P605 , then this should take around 3-4 hours for full charge from 0%, while Exynos processors P600/601 normally takes 5-6 hours charge time.

So probably you have a defected or malfunctioning charger or cable , try charging without the converter & see if the case is still the same , then that will be either a faulty cable or charger.

I'm using the stock cable. I usually cut my device off to charge.

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Pistacchio1971

Dec 20, 2011

I have p600 and the charge from 5/6 to 100% is about 4 hours

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
You lie.... Mine takes 4 - 5 hours tops...

It does if you have a P-605 with Qualcomm's QuickCharge feature. See the pretty little stylized "A" in the upper left corner of the graphic I posted? It's the AnandTech logo. They don't lie and have been performing objective standardized tests on mobile devices longer than you've been an XDA member (2007). If my choice is believing their 7 hours and your "4-5 hours tops" guess who I and most people here are going to believe? And my P-601 does take about 7 hours to charge which is a hella long time especially when you're traveling.

Geordie Affy

Oct 21, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
It does if you have a P-605 with Qualcomm's QuickCharge feature. See the pretty little stylized "A" in the upper left corner of the graphic I posted? It's the AnandTech logo. They don't lie and have been performing objective standardized tests on mobile devices longer than you've been an XDA member (2007). If my choice is believing their 7 hours and your "4-5 hours tops" guess who I and most people here are going to believe? And my P-601 does take about 7 hours to charge which is a hella long time especially when you're traveling.

LOL, I'm literally timing mine as I type this - I will report back the exact time it takes from 5% to 100% - Using the standard wire and socket Samsung provided. Curios if people timed their devices if they would all be the same time frame - I know my first tablet took something around 6hrs to fully charge will see what this one is like.

madsquabbles

Jan 31, 2009
mine charges at 21-24% per hour up until 80% where the trickling starts. at that point it constantly takes 90 minutes to top it off. i doubt that anand lies, but he's only testing one sample and he's reporting what he gets from it. mine takes 4-5hrs depending on how frisky the tablet feels in taking some juice.

i don't have any logs so bmw pro but if i ever remember to let it drop down so i can get a long charge logged i try and post it.

it's not like any of us are gaining any internet fame by reporting a 5hr charge or getting any pay.

cables do affect the charge rate a lot. so if you get less than 5hrs then check another cable. this this is very pick on the cable for some reason.

Po678

Sep 13, 2012
mine takes 3-4 hours....its a p605 probably you have a defective piece or try another power outlet

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
mine takes 3-4 hours....its a p605 probably you have a defective piece or try another power outlet

Holy crap. :rolleyes: Just like the Exynos/S-800 N3, the Exynos/S-800 N10.1-14's use different charging circuitry and get very different results. AnandTech tested an Exynos P-600. Like my Exynos P-601 it takes 7 hours to charge from 0-100%. People with S-800 N10.1-14's have been reporting getting a full charge in 5ish hours which is about the percentage difference between the two different N3's. You'll also notice the second runner up in longest charging time is the Exynos-based N10 which, like the N10.1-14, uses a microUSB port to charge. If you adjust for the smaller battery, the Exynos N10.1-12 with a 30pin connector charges about 20% faster than the N10.1-14 with a USB charging port. N10 owners that bought the optional pogo pin charging module have been able to shave about 30ish% off their charging time which means it's not the battery or SoC causing prolonged charging times via USB on the N10.1-14 and N10.

Conclusion?
  1. The P-605 is one of the fastest (if not the fastest) large format tablets.

2. The P-600/1 are slugs which is probably as much due to microUSB as a charging port rather than what the battery/SoC can handle as evidenced by the N10's improved performance when using pogo pins.

P.S. - Here's the N10's charging graph (via USB) and it's pretty linear. So Samsung (who builds the N10) may have done something in terms of faster charging mid-charge for the N10.1-14 but if they have that power they certainly didn't apply it on the N10.

attachment.php

P.S.S. - P605 owners go away. "Slow charging" has nothing to do with you and you're just muddling the thread which admittedly should (re)titled "Exynos N10.1-14 Takes Forever to Charge."

Reactions: Geordie Affy

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
That's a bit harsh and funny at the same time :laugh:

Their belligerently calling people liars and making it seem that people posting different result are daft. If you can dish it out you should be able to take it. ;) But seriously, this thread's very poorly named as it doesn't identify that only the P-600/1 are slow charging. I knew that from other discussions already had on this forum. So, while maybe a tad belligerent in their approach, people that didn't know there were differences between the Exynos and S-800 versions of the N10.1-14, could have assumed they were the same.

Here's the difference between a device using Qualcomm's P4981 dedicated charging module (QuickCharge) and a device using standard charging circuitry. Pretty impressive. Numbers below are for a 3,300mAh battery. And the dedicated charging circuit is what makes charging via USB mute on S-800 devices.

Geordie Affy

Oct 21, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Okay here are my charging results which I have timed.

Started charging 16:20 @ 5% - https://www.dropbox.com/s/yeoup9hafrmw93q/Screenshot_2014-01-13-16-17-41.png

Finished charging @ 21:25 @ 100% - https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxmcpp0aq9od5l2/Screenshot_2014-01-13-21-24-28.png?m=

So charge time of 5 Hrs - like its been said, it charged very fast till 85% then slowed right right down!

Mind you I did not use the tablet at any point apart from lifting the book cover to see progress. Personally I think the charge times is alright.

Last edited:
Reactions: BarryH_GEG

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Here's a little food for thought from the SGS4 forum. It doesn't matter if the device being tested is Exynos or Qualcomm since QuickCharge was introduced with S-800.

With the advent of the S4, and its higher capacity battery, one could understand a higher charging current. However, I seem to have uncovered some findings that the charging system on the S4 is a bit more complex than first thought!
This is a bit techy, and assumes you have a basic amount of electrical knowledge, ie voltages, currents, resistance etc., but I'll try and keep it as simple as possible for anyone who may not!

To explain: The mains charger supplied with the S4 is a model number ETA-U90UWE, rated 5V @ 2A. However, the phone will ONLY charge at full current (which as I have measured so far, depending on what the phone regulates it to, typically sits in the region of 1.2 - 1.5A), when using the supplied charger (or possibly one of equal or higher current rating, depending on how it's configured internally), AND the supplied usb cable, OR any other usb cable, provided its shielding (the metal outer surface of the connectors) is connected at BOTH ends of the cable. Use a cable that doesn't have this shielding, and the charge current drops, regardless of whether there is plenty of current available or not. Use a different charger with an unshielded cable and the current drops even more, again regardless of whether it can supply plenty more current.
My assumption on this, is possibly an effort by Samsung to avoid the scenario of sticking 1.5 amps down a flimsy cheapo cable, the wires of which will likely be too thin to carry it.

After doing some probing around with a meter, I have managed to find a slight difference with the charger itself, compared to a generic one. In a generic one, the two data pins are usually just shorted together, which tells most phones that it's a mains charger rather than a USB port. On the Samsung one on the other hand, the pins appear to be shorted together, and also connected via resistors across the supply line (known as a potential divider), which holds these shorted data pins at a certain voltage. This is what tells the phone what sort of charger it's connected to.

Attached are a couple of diagrams to show the difference between the two chargers. There are in fact various setups of resistors that different manufacturers use to set the charging current, so it's quite easy to run into compatibility issues!

To make this a little less confusing I have done some preliminary experimenting, and I set out my results here.

For the test, I used combinations of 4 different usb style mains chargers: an apple iPhone one rated at 1A, an iPad one rated 2.4A, an HTC 1A one, and the genuine S4 one. With these I used two cables - the supplied Samsung S4 one (which is shielded), and a cheap generic one (which isn't). I started by measured the charging current directly with a meter, by using a very short usb breakout lead I've made, enabling me to interrupt the 5V line. However, I soon noticed that the use of any extension cables, even shielded, can lessen the chance of maintaining a good shielding connection, so I continued the exercise relying on the "galaxy charging current" app to get a reading.

Charger.................... Cable................ Current (A)
=====================================
HTC 1A.................Generic..................... 0.5
HTC 1A.................Samsung S4..............1.0

Apple 1A...............Generic......................0.5
Apple 1A...............Samsung S4..............1.0

Apple 2.4A............Generic......................0.6
Apple 2.4A............Samsung S4..............1.3

Samsung S4.........Generic...................... 0.8
Samsung S4.........Samsung S4...............1.3

So as you can see from these results, the original charger makes a difference, and the supplied cable (or a good quality shielded one) makes a further difference. If you have any further findings please feel free to add them here.

I can see that this is going to confuse some people, as it has me, as I'm sure some will inevitably try charging up their phone on generic chargers/leads at some point, with potentially long charging times resulting!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2274321

madsquabbles

Jan 31, 2009
that's been my experience. i've gotta make sure that i have the right cable AND charger to get the full blast - using p600. the fastest charge comes from the stock charger and a car charger i have (powergen 2.1A). no charger has ever reached 2A and the highest i've ever seen is 1.6A.

regardless of the fact that one's tablet may charge a few hours faster than someone else's - five+ hours for a charge is waaaaaaayyyyy to freaking long! my samsung ativ 500t has about the same battery capacity but charges in 90min. the 700t charges in 2hrs. of course using 12V 3.3A charger is giving a lot more juice than a 2.3A 5V charger is, lol.

one thing i noticed is that occasionally, the trickle ( charging past 80%) would sometimes drop to 300MAh instead of the normal 600 to 900. if i catch it, i just unplug it and replug it and it's back to normal. dunno what causes this though.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Holy crap. :rolleyes: Just like the Exynos/S-800 N3, the Exynos/S-800 N10.1-14's use different charging circuitry and get very different results. AnandTech tested an Exynos P-600. Like my Exynos P-601 it takes 7 hours to charge from 0-100%. People with S-800 N10.1-14's have been reporting getting a full charge in 5ish hours which is about the percentage difference between the two different N3's. You'll also notice the second runner up in longest charging time is the Exynos-based N10 which, like the N10.1-14, uses a microUSB port to charge. If you adjust for the smaller battery, the Exynos N10.1-12 with a 30pin connector charges about 20% faster than the N10.1-14 with a USB charging port. N10 owners that bought the optional pogo pin charging module have been able to shave about 30ish% off their charging time which means it's not the battery or SoC causing prolonged charging times via USB on the N10.1-14 and N10.

Conclusion?
    1. The P-605 is one of the fastest (if not the fastest) large format tablets.

2. The P-600/1 are slugs which is probably as much due to microUSB as a charging port rather than what the battery/SoC can handle as evidenced by the N10's improved performance when using pogo pins.

P.S. - Here's the N10's charging graph (via USB) and it's pretty linear. So Samsung (who builds the N10) may have done something in terms of faster charging mid-charge for the N10.1-14 but if they have that power they certainly didn't apply it on the N10.

attachment.php

P.S.S. - P605 owners go away. "Slow charging" has nothing to do with you and you're just muddling the thread which admittedly should (re)titled "Exynos N10.1-14 Takes Forever to Charge."
    That's a bit harsh and funny at the same time :laugh:

Their belligerently calling people liars and making it seem that people posting different result are daft. If you can dish it out you should be able to take it. ;) But seriously, this thread's very poorly named as it doesn't identify that only the P-600/1 are slow charging. I knew that from other discussions already had on this forum. So, while maybe a tad belligerent in their approach, people that didn't know there were differences between the Exynos and S-800 versions of the N10.1-14, could have assumed they were the same.

Here's the difference between a device using Qualcomm's P4981 dedicated charging module (QuickCharge) and a device using standard charging circuitry. Pretty impressive. Numbers below are for a 3,300mAh battery. And the dedicated charging circuit is what makes charging via USB mute on S-800 devices.

Okay here are my charging results which I have timed.

Started charging 16:20 @ 5% - https://www.dropbox.com/s/yeoup9hafrmw93q/Screenshot_2014-01-13-16-17-41.png

Finished charging @ 21:25 @ 100% - https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxmcpp0aq9od5l2/Screenshot_2014-01-13-21-24-28.png?m=

So charge time of 5 Hrs - like its been said, it charged very fast till 85% then slowed right right down!

Mind you I did not use the tablet at any point apart from lifting the book cover to see progress. Personally I think the charge times is alright.
    Here's a little food for thought from the SGS4 forum. It doesn't matter if the device being tested is Exynos or Qualcomm since QuickCharge was introduced with S-800.

With the advent of the S4, and its higher capacity battery, one could understand a higher charging current. However, I seem to have uncovered some findings that the charging system on the S4 is a bit more complex than first thought!
    This is a bit techy, and assumes you have a basic amount of electrical knowledge, ie voltages, currents, resistance etc., but I'll try and keep it as simple as possible for anyone who may not!

To explain: The mains charger supplied with the S4 is a model number ETA-U90UWE, rated 5V @ 2A. However, the phone will ONLY charge at full current (which as I have measured so far, depending on what the phone regulates it to, typically sits in the region of 1.2 - 1.5A), when using the supplied charger (or possibly one of equal or higher current rating, depending on how it's configured internally), AND the supplied usb cable, OR any other usb cable, provided its shielding (the metal outer surface of the connectors) is connected at BOTH ends of the cable. Use a cable that doesn't have this shielding, and the charge current drops, regardless of whether there is plenty of current available or not. Use a different charger with an unshielded cable and the current drops even more, again regardless of whether it can supply plenty more current.
    My assumption on this, is possibly an effort by Samsung to avoid the scenario of sticking 1.5 amps down a flimsy cheapo cable, the wires of which will likely be too thin to carry it.

After doing some probing around with a meter, I have managed to find a slight difference with the charger itself, compared to a generic one. In a generic one, the two data pins are usually just shorted together, which tells most phones that it's a mains charger rather than a USB port. On the Samsung one on the other hand, the pins appear to be shorted together, and also connected via resistors across the supply line (known as a potential divider), which holds these shorted data pins at a certain voltage. This is what tells the phone what sort of charger it's connected to.

Attached are a couple of diagrams to show the difference between the two chargers. There are in fact various setups of resistors that different manufacturers use to set the charging current, so it's quite easy to run into compatibility issues!

To make this a little less confusing I have done some preliminary experimenting, and I set out my results here.

For the test, I used combinations of 4 different usb style mains chargers: an apple iPhone one rated at 1A, an iPad one rated 2.4A, an HTC 1A one, and the genuine S4 one. With these I used two cables - the supplied Samsung S4 one (which is shielded), and a cheap generic one (which isn't). I started by measured the charging current directly with a meter, by using a very short usb breakout lead I've made, enabling me to interrupt the 5V line. However, I soon noticed that the use of any extension cables, even shielded, can lessen the chance of maintaining a good shielding connection, so I continued the exercise relying on the "galaxy charging current" app to get a reading.

Charger.................... Cable................ Current (A)
    =====================================
    HTC 1A.................Generic..................... 0.5
    HTC 1A.................Samsung S4..............1.0

Apple 1A...............Generic......................0.5
    Apple 1A...............Samsung S4..............1.0

Apple 2.4A............Generic......................0.6
    Apple 2.4A............Samsung S4..............1.3

Samsung S4.........Generic...................... 0.8
    Samsung S4.........Samsung S4...............1.3

So as you can see from these results, the original charger makes a difference, and the supplied cable (or a good quality shielded one) makes a further difference. If you have any further findings please feel free to add them here.

I can see that this is going to confuse some people, as it has me, as I'm sure some will inevitably try charging up their phone on generic chargers/leads at some point, with potentially long charging times resulting!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2274321
    that's been my experience. i've gotta make sure that i have the right cable AND charger to get the full blast - using p600. the fastest charge comes from the stock charger and a car charger i have (powergen 2.1A). no charger has ever reached 2A and the highest i've ever seen is 1.6A.

regardless of the fact that one's tablet may charge a few hours faster than someone else's - five+ hours for a charge is waaaaaaayyyyy to freaking long! my samsung ativ 500t has about the same battery capacity but charges in 90min. the 700t charges in 2hrs. of course using 12V 3.3A charger is giving a lot more juice than a 2.3A 5V charger is, lol.

one thing i noticed is that occasionally, the trickle ( charging past 80%) would sometimes drop to 300MAh instead of the normal 600 to 900. if i catch it, i just unplug it and replug it and it's back to normal. dunno what causes this though.