/system/build.prop tweaks

Search This thread

wmi543

Apr 13, 2011
I'm not responsible to any damage which is caused by applying any modification listed below to your phone.

Backup
If you made mistake to this file, you phone will not boot in gui, so you should always backup the file before you make any change to it. Just use any file manager to copy the file to your sd card or your pc.

Restore
If you have a Linux machine you can mount the /system partition while plugging in with the purple screen (vol up + vol down + power).
Easiest way: get Ubuntu, put your phone in purple screen, plug in with USB, you will see the system partition at your Ubuntu desktop.
The hard way: if the /system partition is no accessible under purple screen mode (such as in the latest 528 rom), you can use adb push the backup file back, search the web for details about how to use adb.

I'm digging the build.prop, some apps can do some of these tweaks for you, but I prefer typing myself. You need to reboot the phone to take effect.

1. windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=75
add this new line to make UI more responsive, the bigger the value the more responsive, I've tried 90, too fast, fall back to 75, still quite fast

2. ro.config.hw_menu_unlockscreen=false
change value from "false" to "true" to enable menu key unlocking screen

3. ro.sf.lcd_density=240
change to 225 to increase the resolution of display, as a result, the size of icon on home page and fonts of list (of file manager or contact) become smaller, the smaller the value the smaller size of icon and fonts

4. dalvik.vm.heapsize=24m
increase the value to 32m~48m to increase stability and performance, tested but doesn't see much effect so far

Last edited:

admantium

Mar 14, 2011
all so if you tried games like nova or brother in arms that have black screen or graphic probs do this they now all work
go to /system/build.prop and edit it to this then close and turn the phone off / on do a build.prop DO A BUILD.PROP BACKUP FIRST ALLWAYS A MUST BEFOR PLAYING AROUND.
once the phone is on go to settings about phone model number and it will say Desire HD.
Then download games for the htc desire hd and it works.
if you want it back to standed just replace it with the backup

Attachments

• HTC_png_thumb.jpg
    HTC_png_thumb.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 2,804

admantium

Mar 14, 2011
sorry there are still some games that wont work like brother in arms 2 and modern combat black pegasus but all the others work like
splinter cell
sandstorm
n.o.v.a.
and so on

admantium

Mar 14, 2011
your phone hast to be rooted and use root explorer and go to
/system/build.prop and open and edit the text then reboot your phone

adrdsouza

Apr 22, 2011
backed up the build.prop and made the changes. On restart it hangs on boot screen (huawei name and logo) I have to remove the battery to switch off. tried connecting to the PC to restore build.prop but it doesnt load the phone memory. Only launches the mobile partner autostart. Also tried updating by adding update.zip to sd card but says signature verification failed. Tried lading general update from huaweidevice.com onto dload directory on sd card, Just shows purple screen on booting with power, vol up and down. Please advice.

simplistian

Feb 19, 2009
Macau
backed up the build.prop and made the changes. On restart it hangs on boot screen (huawei name and logo) I have to remove the battery to switch off. tried connecting to the PC to restore build.prop but it doesnt load the phone memory. Only launches the mobile partner autostart. Also tried updating by adding update.zip to sd card but says signature verification failed. Tried lading general update from huaweidevice.com onto dload directory on sd card, Just shows purple screen on booting with power, vol up and down. Please advice.

If you have a Linux machine you can mount the /system partition while plugging in with the purple screen (vol up + vol down + power).

Easiest way: get Ubuntu, put your phone in purple screen, plug in with USB, you will see the system partition at your Ubuntu desktop.

adrdsouza

Apr 22, 2011
Thank you..a mate uses linux so went over and it worked like a charm. I hadn't put the 'm' at the end in 'dalvik.vm.heapsize=24m' but it is sorted now. Thanks again.

nekisia

Jan 27, 2010
Hi there.Is there any value in build.prop file to decrease the time that the screen rotates?I measure that the default time is about 1sec.I want it 500ms or lower.

Last edited:

levibuko

Jul 31, 2010
ive root and root explorer, but when i try to edit the build.prob it says that its read only rom .
whats the problem?
sry for my bad english

Poulsen8r

Mar 19, 2011
In the top right hand corner there is a button which says 'mount r/w' press it and your filesystem will be read/write. Then make the changes to build.prop then press the button again then reboot.

Reactions: levibuko

Piron

Dec 30, 2007
Szczecin
volume headphones?

Where can I find the file corresponding to the volume of the sound through headphones? A similar problem occurred on the ZTE, but was repaired in the new ROM.

Piron

Dec 30, 2007
Szczecin
headphone volume

80 is too much. For me the best settings are:
- speaker 75 (default)
- Headphones 70 (higher values ​​will cause the overload of sound)
With this setup is really cool :).

Piron

Dec 30, 2007
Szczecin
Swype

The original ROM is installed Swype keyboard, but not in the Polish language. It is not possible to uninstall Swype and you can not install a new keyboard. Despite the ROOT system does not allow the removal of the keyboard ("cust/hw/ideos_x5/app / "). Does anyone know how to remove the keyboard, or where to replace your dictionary?

magictwins

Oct 17, 2010
Hong Kong
Thank you..a mate uses linux so went over and it worked like a charm. I hadn't put the 'm' at the end in 'dalvik.vm.heapsize=24m' but it is sorted now. Thanks again.

unfortunately I've got the same problem with you, I changed a file's name in the system/ directory now the phone bricks. I mounted it on mu ubuntu laptop and found that file but it says I have no permission to change it back...what should do now?

edit: never mind, I got it solved with sudo. I am a stupid linux noobie.

Last edited:

sentiment

May 6, 2011
I just opened the file, but there's no "windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec" in it, i found the rest (2-4), does someone know why?

Edit: after applying the B160 ROM, i found this line, works great :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm not responsible to any damage which is caused by applying any modification listed below to your phone.

Backup
    If you made mistake to this file, you phone will not boot in gui, so you should always backup the file before you make any change to it. Just use any file manager to copy the file to your sd card or your pc.

Restore
    The hard way: if the /system partition is no accessible under purple screen mode (such as in the latest 528 rom), you can use adb push the backup file back, search the web for details about how to use adb.

I'm digging the build.prop, some apps can do some of these tweaks for you, but I prefer typing myself. You need to reboot the phone to take effect.

1. windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=75
    add this new line to make UI more responsive, the bigger the value the more responsive, I've tried 90, too fast, fall back to 75, still quite fast

2. ro.config.hw_menu_unlockscreen=false
    change value from "false" to "true" to enable menu key unlocking screen

3. ro.sf.lcd_density=240
    change to 225 to increase the resolution of display, as a result, the size of icon on home page and fonts of list (of file manager or contact) become smaller, the smaller the value the smaller size of icon and fonts

4. dalvik.vm.heapsize=24m
    increase the value to 32m~48m to increase stability and performance, tested but doesn't see much effect so far
    In the top right hand corner there is a button which says 'mount r/w' press it and your filesystem will be read/write. Then make the changes to build.prop then press the button again then reboot.
    Where can I find the file corresponding to the volume of the sound through headphones? A similar problem occurred on the ZTE, but was repaired in the new ROM.

/system/etc/hwVolumeFactor.cfg
    I Read somewhere that by adding
    Code:
    debug.sf.hw
    is how the OS renders the UI (hw=0) Uses the CPU to render the UI and (hw=1) Uses the GPU to render.

I Haven't found that value in my build.prop

does anyone have any further info? :confused:

I added debug.sf.hw=1 to my build.prop but it doesn't seem any different than before. Then I changed to 0, and the interface is SIGNIFICANTLY slower. The default is already 1 by the look.
    Changed the lcd_density line to 210.. everything seemed smaller but I still could not add more widgets to the home screen.. which is kinda why I wanted it :/

Changed it back to 240

If you have launcher pro, GO launcher or ADW then you can change it in the preferences.