[Q] Using a Galaxy S2I9100 (T) in Japan

Search This thread

khemical0

Apr 13, 2014
I'm in Japan for this year and I've just purchased a B-Mobile Free Data Sim (with voice), and while I can use the phone service, I can't use Data. After looking at b-mobile's GUARANTEED to work devices (bmobile.ne.jp/english/devices.html) other versions of the Galaxy S2 are listed, but not the i9100. However, in the list of acceptable bands, the following is written:

"Your device must support one of the following frequency
LTE Band 1 (2100MHz), Band 19 (800MHz), Band 21 (1500MHz)
W-CDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA Band 1 (2100MHz), Band 19 (800MHz)"

My Galaxy i9100T (From Vodaphone) should, as far as I know, support the W-CDMA Band 1 (2100MHz), but nonetheless, I can't use data.
I've made sure my APN settings are 100% correct, as according to the bmobile website.

Should I give up on trying to make this work, or is there some way I can get this going? Is there a particular radio or modem I can flash in order to get better connectivity? Otherwise I'm planning on buying a second hand Galaxy SC-02C or something which is on the list of devices guaranteed to work and relatively inexpensive. If you are knowledgeable on this subject, please lend a hand.

If there's any other information you require about my phone, please let me know.
Cheers

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
To the best of my knowledge, the phone wasn't sold there by carriers (neither the I9100 or the T), so there's no stock roms released by carriers in the country, and no modems bundled with those stock roms which would have been tested with the carrier's network as would normally be the case.

Sooo....You're probably stuck with trying a bunch of different modems unless a search throws up someone who's posted saying they had good connectivity with whatever modem on that network. If it was me, given the other relatively cheap option you mentioned (and my lack of patience with this sort of thing these days), I'd be buying the other phone if having a working phone without fuss was important to me (which it is).

khemical0

Apr 13, 2014
Cheers,

I managed to get it working, on a stroke of luck. Flashing a few different modems didn't seem to get it connected, but after looking more extensively through the japanese version of the site, i found this page (bmobile.ne.jp/devices/setting_other_androidos.html) which suggested an alternative server to connect to for the APN (dm.jplat.net instead of mobile.ne.jp), even though this is the only page it seems to have this alternative server listed on. My reception isn't amazing, so maybe I'll continue as you suggested, flashing modems, until I can get better reception. Thanks for your help :D.

Anyway, for anyone who happens to have a similar problem, please try connecting to the above server and see if it works for you.