[Q] What does SVC firmware mean?

Search This thread

tiazek

Apr 5, 2013
Hi, in this page:

http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14

I've seen new firmware files being uploaded. For example, the US retail version, but the only difference in the information is "svc" in the file name:

US_retail_XT1032_KXB20.9-1.8-1.4_CFC.xml.zip

vs.

US_retail_XT1032_KXB20.9-1.8-1.4_CFC_svc.xml.zip

What does SVC mean? What is the difference between those two firmware?

Thank you!

BitingChaos

Apr 18, 2011
St. Louis
Hi, in this page:

http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14

I've seen new firmware files being uploaded. For example, the US retail version, but the only difference in the information is "svc" in the file name:

US_retail_XT1032_KXB20.9-1.8-1.4_CFC.xml.zip

vs.

US_retail_XT1032_KXB20.9-1.8-1.4_CFC_svc.xml.zip

What does SVC mean? What is the difference between those two firmware?

Thank you!

I'd like to know as well.

When I searched for it, Google points me right back to this thread.

It's sorta of typical of what I've seen with other threads and other devices. A bunch of files are listed, with NO information on what it is, what it does, what the various versions are, etc.

One is "Android 4.4.2, Blur_Version.172.44.4.falcon_umts.Retail.en.US"
One is "Android 4.4.2, Blur_Version.172.44.4.falcon_umts.Retail.en.US" ~SVC~ version!

It looks like the MD5 hashes of the files inside the ZIP files are identical, yet the size of the ZIP files are different. The non-SVC version is buried an additional folder deeper than the SVC version.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2014
I'd like to know as well.

When I searched for it, Google points me right back to this thread.

It's sorta of typical of what I've seen with other threads and other devices. A bunch of files are listed, with NO information on what it is, what it does, what the various versions are, etc.

One is "Android 4.4.2, Blur_Version.172.44.4.falcon_umts.Retail.en.US"
One is "Android 4.4.2, Blur_Version.172.44.4.falcon_umts.Retail.en.US" ~SVC~ version!

It looks like the MD5 hashes of the files inside the ZIP files are identical, yet the size of the ZIP files are different. The non-SVC version is buried an additional folder deeper than the SVC version.

Did you guys find out what the SVC means?

lost101

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 30, 2008
To be fair, these files are not intended for End Users; that's why there is no documentation. Mainly it would be 'Carrier' Engineers who access them. At a guess, SVC relates to data storage and distribution - the way these files are stored and served to external entities by Motorola. The difference in file-size is probably down to compression method.

Last edited: