[IMG] n2T-Recovery - Nook Simple Touch - Factory Restore / Recovery [v:0.2 17.11.11]

Search This thread

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø
[DISCLAIMER] Images are provideded "as is", use at your own risk!

[NOTE] This project is no longer maintained!

Quite a few people seem to end up in non-bootable-states (myself included) when trying to root/app/tweak etc..
So I made a couple of images that will help you trigger Factory Restore on your Nook Simple Touch.

Compability:
Nook Simple Touch - [1.0.0], [1.0.1], [1.1.0]

Requirements:
- A microSD card of atleast 128MB of size (existing data will be lost)
- Make sure your NST is charged! A failed root will drain your NST quickly without you noticing it!

Tools:
- Windows: win32 Disk Imager
- Linux: d'uh .. dd
- Mac: diskutil and dd

Still unsure about tools?, look here

Versions: (You only need one of these depending on how messed up your NST is. Try 0.1 first!)
- Version 0.1 [Without boot partition restoration] n2T-Recovery_0.1.rar (2MB)
- Version 0.2 [With boot partition restoration] n2T-Recovery_0.2.rar (16MB)

Usage:
- Uncompress the image
- Write the image to your mSD card with one of the tools listed above.
- Power up your Nook Touch with the mSD card inserted.
- Follow the instructions displayed on the screen.

If all went well you should see the factory restore screen popping up in 10-20 seconds after reboot, and you'll be back to the version your NST was originally shipped with* when it's finished.

If it doesn't, please share your "detailed" story in this thread and feel free to PM me, I've restored quite a few "hopeless" cases :)

[*] Factory Restore doesn't wipe your /data

Update:
26.11.2012 - Added new download links
28.01.2012 - Moved files to new server

Changelog:
[0.1]
- Initial release

[0.2]
- Rewrites boot partition before triggering Factory Restore

Credits:
- Based on Nook Simple Touch 1.0.0 boot partition
- Made possible by Noogie image by nookDevs

Last edited:

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
That is good to know, because timed things on smartphone and the like is a usual way to messy results. Try putting an iphone in DFU mode in order to jailbreak it...

docfreed

Jun 6, 2009
Did Not Completely Restore, But...

I was able to restore by the following:

1. Tried your method on a rooted (1.00 FW) Touch but it seemed to hang on the last bit of rebooting.
2. I wrote the factory 1.01 update to an SD card using Winimage, turned the Touch off, put the SD Card in, turned the Nook on, let it go to sleep (per BN Instructions for applying update) - it woke up, applied 1.01 and unrooted simultaneously.
3. Reregistered and rerooted using ManualNooter.

wajanus

Jan 4, 2011
Houston
about.me

1. Tried your method on a rooted (1.00 FW) Touch but it seemed to hang on the last bit of rebooting.
2. I wrote the factory 1.01 update to an SD card using Winimage, turned the Touch off, put the SD Card in, turned the Nook on, let it go to sleep (per BN Instructions for applying update) - it woke up, applied 1.01 and unrooted simultaneously.
do you have a link for the .img for the update? I only found a zip file, not sure how to use Disk Imager to put that on there.

But yeah, I'm experiencing the same issue, hangs on the reboot part.

Reactions: marya.a

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø

But yeah, I'm experiencing the same issue, hangs on the reboot part.

Not sure what you guys mean by "rebooting part" can you be a little more detailed?

I have never seen or even heard of a 1.0.1 update image.
The 1.0.1 update is distributed as a zip file that has to be saved on the Nooks internal storage trough usb. This makes no sense to me.

Again this makes no sense, ManualNooter is for Nook Color ..

Last edited:

docfreed

Jun 6, 2009
Not sure what you guys mean by "rebooting part" can you be a little more detailed?

I have never seen or even heard of a 1.0.1 update image.
The 1.0.1 update is distributed as a zip file that has to be saved on the Nooks internal storage trough usb. This makes no sense to me.

Again this makes no sense, ManualNooter is for Nook Color ..
Answers -
1. By "hanging" I meant it's stuck on the last little bit of writing the restore img - never quite finishes.
2. Just go to BN site and you can download "update.zip 1.01" for the Touch - it gets applied by placing on the root of the internal memory and booting up
3. My Bad - I meant TouchNooter

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø
Answers -
1. By "hanging" I meant it's stuck on the last little bit of writing the restore img - never quite finishes.

Ok, so the factory restore got triggered but didn't complete, wonder why.
Did you try to trigger restore again?

I'm gonna look into adding more advanced recovery options to the tool.

2. Just go to BN site and you can download "update.zip 1.01" for the Touch - it gets applied by placing on the root of the internal memory and booting up

Yes I know, but you said you wrote it to sdcard with winimage, which didn't make any sense :)

mrmystery96

Feb 26, 2011
The only way I can get my nook to boot into a usable environment is by way of a touchnooter bootable mSD. I managed to move the 1.0.1 update onto the NOOK patition, but I had to boot off of a noogie SD (for some reason, USB mode doesn't work when I boot off of touchnooter)to do so. Even after letting it go to sleep, it doesn't seem to recognize that there's an update. I have no clue what to do.

EDIT: Tool is a lifesaver. :)

Last edited:

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø
The only way I can get my nook to boot into a usable environment is by way of a touchnooter bootable mSD. I managed to move the 1.0.1 update onto the NOOK patition, but I had to boot off of a noogie SD (for some reason, USB mode doesn't work when I boot off of touchnooter)to do so. Even after letting it go to sleep, it doesn't seem to recognize that there's an update. I have no clue what to do.

I've replied to your PM.

Reactions: mrmystery96
D

dorino1

Thanks for this img. Accidentally powered off the Nook with a core android file missing and when I turned it back on, I was stuck on a looping 5-dot start up screen. This gave me a very easy way to fix it and didn't really erase anything, either. The TN stuff was gone, but every app I'd installed myself after rooting with TouchNooter remained, as did my launcher and setup, etc.

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø
Glad to hear it worked for you :)

I also have new version under testing that will help people with more severe problems.
mrmystery96 a few posts up had a completely broken boot partition after some app/mod tried to write its recovery there.
He got a development copy from me last night and he was able to successfully restore his Nook Touch, so I should be able to release it in a day or two.

Reactions: kingserpent

kkinder

Nov 11, 2009
Denver, CO
kenkinder.com
How long is it generally expected to take? I'm just looking at a blank (but backlit) screen with your sd image.

I dd'd the file to the root of the sd card (/dev/sdc), not any partition. Is it supposed to be on a partition?

Last edited:

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø
How long is it generally expected to take? I'm just looking at a blank (but backlit) screen with your sd image.

I dd'd the file to the root of the sd card (/dev/sdc), not any partition. Is it supposed to be on a partition?

Backlit? There's no backlight on the Nook Simple Touch ;)

gioranaa

Dec 1, 2009
Ciao, I have a problem...
I rooted my nook, it was working, but it seems to me slower when it opens a book, and sometimes it crashes opening a book.

So I would like to restore.. I saw your post: fantastic!
I downloaded the image, i copy ect i followed all the instructions..
I extract the sd, it start to restoring to original factoring... but after that my nook was like before
with android and also my old books...
I would like to "unistall" android... that's all, could you help me?

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø
Ciao, I have a problem...
I rooted my nook, it was working, but it seems to me slower when it opens a book, and sometimes it crashes opening a book.

So I would like to restore.. I saw your post: fantastic!
I downloaded the image, i copy ect i followed all the instructions..
I extract the sd, it start to restoring to original factoring... but after that my nook was like before
with android and also my old books...
I would like to "unistall" android... that's all, could you help me?

The built in "Factory Restore" doesn't wipe everything, it just restores important parts of your system.

If you want to clean your NST you can boot it while pressing both left and right bottom buttons (it will trigger Factory Reset (not restore))

If you want your NST absolutely 100% clean, I'm sorry to say that you should have made a backup before rooting it ;)

Reactions: kingserpent

gioranaa

Dec 1, 2009
The built in "Factory Restore" doesn't wipe everything, it just restores important parts of your system.

If you want to clean your NST you can boot it while pressing both left and right bottom buttons (it will trigger Factory Reset (not restore))

If you want your NST absolutely 100% clean, I'm sorry to say that you should have made a backup before rooting it ;)

:( no back up...
do you know where I can find a clean one?

do you think it is possible to clean everyhitng unpdating to the 1.01 clean version?

I understood: I have to push the power button, THEN both left and right bottoms button, in order to reset. :)

Last edited:

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø
:( no back up...
do you know where I can find a clean one?

You can't.
Every NST contains unique data so it's not possible to make a generic restore image. It is possible to make one customised to your NST tho, I've made a few of those.

do you think it is possible to clean everyhitng unpdating to the 1.01 clean version?

No

I tried to boot (from power off state) while pressing both left and right bottoms button, but it didn't wake up: i pushed for more than 5 sec power button while i was pushing left and right but nothing happened.. could you help me?

Just press the power button until you see the screen flicker, then immediately press and hold those buttons until you see the "Factory Reset" screen, then follow the instructions on the screen.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [DISCLAIMER] Images are provideded "as is", use at your own risk!

[NOTE] This project is no longer maintained!

Quite a few people seem to end up in non-bootable-states (myself included) when trying to root/app/tweak etc..
    So I made a couple of images that will help you trigger Factory Restore on your Nook Simple Touch.

Compability:
    Nook Simple Touch - [1.0.0], [1.0.1], [1.1.0]

Requirements:
    - A microSD card of atleast 128MB of size (existing data will be lost)
    - Make sure your NST is charged! A failed root will drain your NST quickly without you noticing it!

Tools:
    - Windows: win32 Disk Imager
    - Linux: d'uh .. dd
    - Mac: diskutil and dd

Still unsure about tools?, look here

Versions: (You only need one of these depending on how messed up your NST is. Try 0.1 first!)
    - Version 0.1 [Without boot partition restoration] n2T-Recovery_0.1.rar (2MB)
    - Version 0.2 [With boot partition restoration] n2T-Recovery_0.2.rar (16MB)

Usage:
    - Uncompress the image
    - Write the image to your mSD card with one of the tools listed above.
    - Power up your Nook Touch with the mSD card inserted.
    - Follow the instructions displayed on the screen.

If all went well you should see the factory restore screen popping up in 10-20 seconds after reboot, and you'll be back to the version your NST was originally shipped with* when it's finished.

If it doesn't, please share your "detailed" story in this thread and feel free to PM me, I've restored quite a few "hopeless" cases :)

[*] Factory Restore doesn't wipe your /data

Update:
    26.11.2012 - Added new download links
    28.01.2012 - Moved files to new server

Changelog:
    [0.1]
    - Initial release

[0.2]
    - Rewrites boot partition before triggering Factory Restore

Credits:
    - Based on Nook Simple Touch 1.0.0 boot partition
    - Made possible by Noogie image by nookDevs
    Scary!

But good solution when everything else fails. Thanks!

Nothing scary about it, it only writes to a single file on your N2 to trick it into believing there has been 8 missed boot attempts. :)
    That is good to know, because timed things on smartphone and the like is a usual way to messy results. Try putting an iphone in DFU mode in order to jailbreak it...

Ah I see your point, but there's really no timing involved with this process.
    Cleaned up the instructions a little, thank you.
    Answers -

Ok, so the factory restore got triggered but didn't complete, wonder why.
    Did you try to trigger restore again?

I'm gonna look into adding more advanced recovery options to the tool.

Yes I know, but you said you wrote it to sdcard with winimage, which didn't make any sense :)