HOW TO: Free Unlock of Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G - At your own risk!

Search This thread

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
I think you need to update the APN info in settings/mobile networks/access point names... (at least that is where the settings are in cm-10.2. I can't remember where they are on the stock ICS rom)

Google for AT&T APN and you should find something... you can probably also look on XDA in some of the other AT&T device forums.

RodimusConvoy

Jul 22, 2012
Raleigh
I think you need to update the APN info in settings/mobile networks/access point names... (at least that is where the settings are in cm-10.2. I can't remember where they are on the stock ICS rom)

Google for AT&T APN and you should find something... you can probably also look on XDA in some of the other AT&T device forums.

Well I know on my Epic 4G, all I have to do is click on the Voice Dialer app and then say "APN". An "Open APN" option will show up (I forget the exact verbiage), I click on it, and voila. I've been able to do this since Gingerbread, and I just tested it on CM 10.1.3 and its the same. Chances are it will work here too.

JD421

Nov 3, 2013

Thank you guys, I found the APN settings for AT & T and also added my old AT & T phone APN settings.

Its working OK now except for two things.

1 I can't send mms messages with pictures. So I need to find another APN setting that will work.

2 I do not have real 4G. I thought this phone was a 4G phone. Come to find out that T Mobile 4G is not the same as AT & T LTE. So I have about the same connection speed as my old samsung captivate. The only difference is a better keyboard and 5 gb space just for apps. The samsung captivate had 1.89 gb of space for apps with gingerbread installed. All that other space was wasted. You couldn't download apps to the "usb memory" and most apps generally can't be moved to the sd card. I moved some but I ran out of space quickly. And this was just utility type stuff for work, nothing for fun.

So after all this, I just can't believe I was duped into fake 4G. I thought I had done my homework thoroughly.

If anyone knows anything about APN settings, I am all ears.....

so disappointed...

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
No luck trying this method on T699UVALJ1 (older stock ICS). The phone can't connect to my carrier's network.

EDIT: Even on T699UVAMA2, it still didn't work out. What's more, I'm starting to believe that my Relay 4G isn't locked at all from the very beginning - it didn't ask me for an unlock code when I plugged in my non-TMobile SIM card. Can someone guide me on what else kind of problem I might be having?

Last edited:

seidler2547

Nov 24, 2007
Leipzig
Works!

Hi,

this has worked great on my "New in box" T699 from ebay. It was SIM locked, baseband UVLH1 and the instructions worked right away, I can use it just fine. Thanks!

jerzycow

Mar 5, 2014
Problem: No '[4] NW LOCK NV Data INNITIALLIZ' option

I got a Relay off of Amazon and it even came with an unlock code! Unfortunatly, that code didn't work...

I tried this method, but there was no NW LOCK option no matter what I tried, and it wouldn't unlock.
The phone is the UVBMC5 model, and have with >4.0.1 installed.

Solution

Install CWM and flash the ICS rom AND the radio zip found here.

I tried just flashing just the ICS rom, but there still wasn't an NW LOCK option. It was only after I flashed the radio firmware as well did it show up.

It worked and unlocked fine after updating the radio firmware!

Reactions: RodimusConvoy

RodimusConvoy

Jul 22, 2012
Raleigh
Problem: No '[4] NW LOCK NV Data INNITIALLIZ' option

I got a Relay off of Amazon and it even came with an unlock code! Unfortunatly, that code didn't work...

I tried this method, but there was no NW LOCK option no matter what I tried, and it wouldn't unlock.
The phone is the UVBMC5 model, and have with >4.0.1 installed.

Solution

Install CWM and flash the ICS rom AND the radio zip found here.

I tried just flashing just the ICS rom, but there still wasn't an NW LOCK option. It was only after I flashed the radio firmware as well did it show up.

It worked and unlocked fine after updating the radio firmware!

I was meaning to ask this, but I was unsure under which thread.

Say you just got the Relay 4G in the mail, the order of things is:
1) charge it (well duh :laugh: )
2) Flash CWM
3) Flash ICS rom
4) Flash the radio you just mentioned
5) Do the unlock code

So basically the unlock code should be done LAST? I'm also wondering if its okay to just go ahead and flash Cyanogenmod 11 instead of the ICS rom.

Magamo

Oct 20, 2012
New York, NY
I was meaning to ask this, but I was unsure under which thread.

Say you just got the Relay 4G in the mail, the order of things is:
1) charge it (well duh :laugh: )
2) Flash CWM
3) Flash ICS rom
4) Flash the radio you just mentioned
5) Do the unlock code

So basically the unlock code should be done LAST? I'm also wondering if its okay to just go ahead and flash Cyanogenmod 11 instead of the ICS rom.

None of the community custom images work with this unlock code. Neither does the JellyBean Stock image. So you want to follow the unlock procedure before installing whatever else you wanted.

padalec

Mar 27, 2014
HI,

Today I get my Galaxy S relay (t-mobile). The telephone is locked so I have to unlock it. I also want to root and install CyanogenMOD on it.

So my question is:

Can I directly root the phone (it will unlock by itself)'?

or

I need to unlock it first? Then Root

Thanks

Magamo

Oct 20, 2012
New York, NY
HI,

Today I get my Galaxy S relay (t-mobile). The telephone is locked so I have to unlock it. I also want to root and install CyanogenMOD on it.

So my question is:

Can I directly root the phone (it will unlock by itself)'?

or

I need to unlock it first? Then Root

Thanks

There is a difference between being bootloader locked, and being SIM locked. This thread deals with being SIM locked. SIM unlocking can only be done on one specific revision of the Ice Cream Sandwich Image that Samsung released for this phone. The Relay does not have a locked bootloader, so you can root it directly.

RodimusConvoy

Jul 22, 2012
Raleigh
None of the community custom images work with this unlock code. Neither does the JellyBean Stock image. So you want to follow the unlock procedure before installing whatever else you wanted.

There is a difference between being bootloader locked, and being SIM locked. This thread deals with being SIM locked. SIM unlocking can only be done on one specific revision of the Ice Cream Sandwich Image that Samsung released for this phone. The Relay does not have a locked bootloader, so you can root it directly.

So basically, as soon as someone gets the Relay 4G, this should be the very first thing they do (if they're not on T-Mobile) before they do anything else?

Magamo

Oct 20, 2012
New York, NY
So basically, as soon as someone gets the Relay 4G, this should be the very first thing they do (if they're not on T-Mobile) before they do anything else?

This can be done after installing a custom recovery, and rooting. But must be done on the listed Touchwiz image, with (I believe) the corresponding modem, and since every custom image that has been released after the CyanogenMod 9 alphas has required the modem and bootloaders from the Touchwiz Jelly Bean release, it's probably advisable to unlock before moving on. However, there is nothing stopping someone from flashing the appropriate images afterward, and unlocking later.

RodimusConvoy

Jul 22, 2012
Raleigh
This can be done after installing a custom recovery, and rooting. But must be done on the listed Touchwiz image, with (I believe) the corresponding modem, and since every custom image that has been released after the CyanogenMod 9 alphas has required the modem and bootloaders from the Touchwiz Jelly Bean release, it's probably advisable to unlock before moving on. However, there is nothing stopping someone from flashing the appropriate images afterward, and unlocking later.

Thanks for your patience. This thread pops up seemingly bi-monthly and I keep forgetting I already responded in it.

I went back and read through it a few times. The way I understand it, this unlock code works only with the UVMA2 rom and UVMA2 modem, because using the code with that rom and modem will bring up extra menu options to unlock the phone. Any other rom / modem, the code will bring up the menu, but the extra options will be missing and thus unlocking via this method will be impossible. Unlocking can be done on any rom via third party companies, but not for free. To use this method, the free method, it must be on this rom and modem, UVMA2. Hence why if it isn't already on UVMA2, it must be flashed to it, meaning yes root and recovery must be installed first to put it on the UVMA2 rom and modem.

Am I on the right track?

Magamo

Oct 20, 2012
New York, NY
Thanks for your patience. This thread pops up seemingly bi-monthly and I keep forgetting I already responded in it.

I went back and read through it a few times. The way I understand it, this unlock code works only with the UVMA2 rom and UVMA2 modem, because using the code with that rom and modem will bring up extra menu options to unlock the phone. Any other rom / modem, the code will bring up the menu, but the extra options will be missing and thus unlocking via this method will be impossible. Unlocking can be done on any rom via third party companies, but not for free. To use this method, the free method, it must be on this rom and modem, UVMA2. Hence why if it isn't already on UVMA2, it must be flashed to it, meaning yes root and recovery must be installed first to put it on the UVMA2 rom and modem.

Am I on the right track?

Sounds like you are.

cybertim

Jan 20, 2013
Second time i'm using this and it worked again!

I use Odin to flash 'T699UVAMA2_T699TMBAMA2_T699UVAMA2_HOME.tar' to the phone (before doing anything) and follow the steps here.
After that I flash CM11, root etc.
Both my Relay's are working fine now with my Dutch operators :)

Thanks!

Suncatcher16

Oct 15, 2011
Kyiv
Samsung Galaxy S9
OnePlus 8
Second time i'm using this and it worked again!

I use Odin to flash 'T699UVAMA2_T699TMBAMA2_T699UVAMA2_HOME.tar' to the phone (before doing anything) and follow the steps here.
After that I flash CM11, root etc.
Both my Relay's are working fine now with my Dutch operators :)

Thanks!

Great job, guys!
I've strictly followed the instruction and was succeeded:D
Thanks for help! God bless America!:cowboy:

seidler2547

Nov 24, 2007
Leipzig
Ok, here's another way: I bought a second Relay 4G on eBay, it had stock Jelly Bean ROM and a newer radio.

I was lazy, so I flashed ONLY the UVMA2 radio through TWRP (I wanted to use ODIN but I could only find a zip for CWM/TWRP), the instructions then worked fine on the 4.1 stock ROM with the older radio. Then I flashed OmniToad and the most recent radio and everything continued to work great.

Stefan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys. So, first of all, we've got our own forum! I don't know when it happened, as I wasn't really paying attention after the first few...months...but here we are!

Anyway, some of you may know about the free unlock method posted by owl74 in the Note II forum (link: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34661189, has screenshots). This turned out to work for the SGSIII, the SGSII and SGSII Skyrocket. Well this post is to verify that IT WORKS FOR THE RELAY 4G TOO! :D

Before proceeding: do this at your own risk. There is no guarantee it will work for you. You MUST be running a stock ROM with a stock modem. I am using the UVMA2 stock ROM with the UVMA2 modem on T-Mobile USA.

Read ALL directions first before trying this out.

This was ONLY tested on MY phone, with the UVMA2 update and modem, on T-Mobile USA.

Without further ado, here are the complete steps toward unlocking the Relay 4G (Thanks again to OP owl47):
    *NOTE:* Never use the "back" button. There is an option when pressing the menu button to go back.
    1. First, dial
      Code:
      *#197328640#
      in the dialer app
    2. Hit option [1] UMTS
    3. Hit option [1] DEBUG SCREEN
    4. Hit option [8] PHONE CONTROL
    5. Hit option [6] NETWORK LOCK
    6. Hit option [3] PERSO SHA256 OFF
    7. WAIT exactly 30 seconds.
    8. Hit the menu button and select the "Back" option.
    9. Hit option [4] NW LOCK NV DATA INITIALLIZ
    10. WAIT exactly 60 seconds
    11. There will be no prompt, but reboot your phone. It should now be unlocked.

Verify that your phone is unlocked by using a SIM card from another network. I tested it using my wife's AT&T SIM card and it connected successfully.

The prompts and the menu for the Relay 4G is a bit different from the other phones, but the screenshots provided in the original link above should serve as a rough guide for what you might see. I personally never saw the 'PERSO_NV_INIT is SUCCESSFUL' prompt, but it still worked for me.

Your mileage may vary. If someone is brave enough to give it a try on earlier versions of stock ROMs, be my guest.

For a rooted UVMA2 rom, gee one posted a link to his FTP site where he is hosting a copy of the rooted rom (should be CWM flashable):
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=38623790#post38623790

Post your success/failure below!
    Hey guys,

I just got my Relay 4G in the mail yesterday.... I was playing with it and without SIM just wifi enabled I did all the updates, then I found this thread... (oops)

I hitup www.samfirmware.com, I rolled back to UVMA2 update using Odin 3.07 (put the .tar.md5 file in PDA and flash)

Then I booted into recovery and did a factory wipe. I followed the directions in this thread, voila ... unlocked phone, it works now on my Virgin Mobile SIM card in Canada.

(Did this help you ??? There's a button for that ;0)
    2015 update

Just an update. There is a lot of hard to find information in this thread. So many damn letters to keep track of. Dead links. Ugh.

A couple of notes:

• Jelly Bean (4.1.x) WILL NOT WORK to unlock your device using this method. The menu option [4] will never appear as its been removed from this image. Don't bother downloading the JB images, they won't help. Don't waste your time unless....

• You'll need 4.0.4 (aka IceCreamSandwich), aka UVMA2. Either this already needs to be installed, or you'll need to flash the device with Odin with UVMA2. (LINK NOT ALLOWED SINCE I AM A NEW USER.....) Choose the T699UVAMA2_T699TMBAMA2_TMB.zip package. Contains the complete factory UVMA2 image (bootloader, recovery image, system image, and radio). Unzip, and find the complete md5 file, ready for uploading via Odin

My Relay 4G came from eBay with 4.1.x installed already. Doing the instructions on 4.1.x doesn't work.

To downgrade to ICS/4.0.4/UVMA2, I used the image I mentioned above, flashed it with Odin, booted into 4.0.4, and performed the unlock. Menu option [4] appeared immediately, instructions worked perfectly. Verified by installing a non Tmobile sim, works fine.

Now I'll put ClockworkRecoveryMod back on, and upgrade to CM11...
    Haven't begun to even play with it! Straight out of the box, not rooted, nothing. It is running 4.1.2, though. I was hoping to confirm it worked on Straight Talk before I really started to mess with roms and flashing stuff...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

4.1.2 is Jelly Bean. Maybe you have to flash back to Ice Cream Sammich. See the posts above about issues with Jelly Bean.

To flash back, I think you either need heimdall or a custom recovery (although I think you need heimdall to flash a new recovery).

sent while running with scissors
    Hi erveryone,

I am thinking about buying the Galaxy Relay, since my old phone broke, but because I live in Europe I'd have to import it. Is there any way (I could not find any using the search function) to SIM-unlock this phone without being on a t-mobile network?

As far as I know, sure. I had an AT&T SIM in there while I was unlocking it. After I rebooted, it connected to the network. I don't think you need to start connected to the T-Mobile network or anything.