[APP] [18 November] [RC1] Energy XDA_UC Configuration Tools 2 (EXCT2)

Search This thread

M3PH

Aug 6, 2007
Gloucester, mebbe
exct2title.png

This thread is for the discussion, development and support of EXCT2. EXCT2 is compatible with all Energy Roms based on Windows mobile 6.5 and it is entirely possible that it will work with other stock and custom windows mobile roms.

EXCT2 is the continuation of a project i started last year which can be found here. It was born out of a hatred for the hours it took to configure a new rom install.​

EXCT2 expands on EXCT by adding a basic User Interface and allowing for a large amount of automation for settings gathering from the system registry. No registry editors required, no Third party XML file writers needed. EXCT2 will detect exchange server settings, audio manager storage paths, Windows Live and palringo settings and so much more all at the touch of a button and export them in the appropriate file type in the folder of your choosing for XDA_UC (or possibly Sashimi) to import.​

EXCT2rc1SS1.png
EXCT2rc1ss2.png
EXCT2rc1ss3.png
exct2rc1ss4.png
EXCT2rc1ss5.Png

Requirements:

Windows Mobile 6.5 or 6.5.x (it may work with 6.0 and 6.1 as well but this has only been tested in the SDK's emulator and may not work as expected)
.Net Compact Framework 3.5
XDA_UC (it may well work with other settings importers like sashimi)
Some patience :)

Known Bugs:

All known Bugs have been squished for now

Download:

All downloads will be hosted here and new builds will also be hosted on XDA. Hosting the newest version anywhere else is strictly prohibited and if you want to host mirrors of previous versions seek my permission first.

Some Fun Stuff

I have had some forum banners made up so the users can identify themselves to each other. Also so it is easier to identify the testers and myself outside of this thread. If anyone donates towards the continuation of the project you will get a special supporters banner. Below is the users banner for you to download. Thanks to Swiss420 for creating them and also for doing the program icon. Swis has also just come up with the EXCT2 Splat!

The Thank you's

Finally i should say thank you to a few people simply because they have put up with me pestering them with questions and because they have provided code. These people are XDA members Ultrashot, Stephj, Xcaliburinhand. Also Jesse Jiang and Reed Kimble the on MSDN forums have contributed greatly. Finally The testing team deserve a big thanks (even the guys that went MIA) CanjunFlavoredBob deserves the biggest thanks for sticking with it and providing some great suggestions and ideas.​

Attachments

• EXCT2_RC1.CAB
    354.3 KB · Views: 184
  • exct2rc1ss1.jpg
    exct2rc1ss1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 40
  • EXCT2rc1ss2.jpg
    EXCT2rc1ss2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 35
  • EXCT2rc1ss3.jpg
    EXCT2rc1ss3.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 33
  • exct2rc1ss4.jpg
    exct2rc1ss4.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 31
  • EXCT2rc1ss5.jpg
    EXCT2rc1ss5.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

M3PH

Aug 6, 2007
Gloucester, mebbe
The Changelog

Changelog:

18 November (RC1)
Updated Visual look
Other minor bug fixes

23 September (Beta 5)
Added CHT export (hidden and disabled till the CHTE team sort out a bug in their code)
Fixed Minor issue with twitter export
Added People tab order export
Added Manilla Tab order export
Fixed issue with Alarm 2 and alarm3 exports

15 August (Beta 4)
Added Alarm export functions
Some small UI tweaks
Improved Operation Complete and Operation Failed dialogs
Other small tweaks and fixes

24 July (Beta 3.1)
Fixed Rhodium crash (thanks to JVH3)

22 July 2011 (beta 3)
Complete UI redesign.
Added File overwrite checking
Adjusted Time elapsed check in file write success check to 10 seconds
Improved Exception handling
Added "Export all" click detection to reduce the amount of message boxes it generates
Updated xml export code to include updated error handling, file overwrite protection and Export all click detection
Added copy.mscr to cab file (Installs to "\Storage Card\XDA_UC")
Added copy2root folder detection/creation code
Various Other internal changes

10 July 2011 (beta 2):
Fixed xml file write checking code
Improved folderbrowser (thanks to stephj)
Improved combobox item description for all xml functions
Fixed Twitter function (thanks to CJB for helping with that)
Added framework for file copies. Will allow for opera settings export later
Added some basic exception handling
probably some other things i forgot to write down

30 June 2011 (beta 1):
First public release

Last edited:

M3PH

Aug 6, 2007
Gloucester, mebbe
The FAQ

1) Some misconceptions.

It has been reported this is a settings importer as well as an exporter. This is not true. EXCT2 will only export settings and only the settings it is aware of. It is also not exclusively written for the Energy roms. It will quite probably work on any rom but the only roms it has been tested with are the stock WM6.5 rom in the WM emulator and the Energy rom in my signature. I also know that CajunFlavoredBob uses EXCT2 on his own private custom rom

2) I use a program/feature in Windows Mobile that doesn't have a settings exporter in EXCT2.

Well tell me about it. As long as it is a program that many people use, IS NOT a third party app like S2U2 or any of the SPB programs etc, and you can provide me an complete example of the settings that need to be exported i will work on including it, if it is reasonable to do so.

3) EXCT2 beta 2 and newer crashes on startup

Make sure you have .Net 3.5 Compact framework installed. This can be checked by running cgacutil.exe from the windows folder on the device

4) What do i need to include when posting a problem?

When posting a problem, please include what device you are using, the exact version (including skin, windows build number and rom date) also the version of .Net you have installed. This can be found by running cgacutil.exe from the windows folder on the device. If this util reports anything less than 3.5.xxxx.xx then don't post. Instead grab .Net 3.5 from the MS download center and get NRGZ to update his rom

more to come.........

Last edited:

cajunflavoredbob

May 1, 2010
Your Basement
@everyone This is a pretty handy application that makes exporting settings a piece of cake. Not everything is fully functional yet, but this has HUGE potential for the entire community and deserves some support and recognition.

@M3PH Is the public beta release any different than the last alpha build I tested?

M3PH

Aug 6, 2007
Gloucester, mebbe
@everyone This is a pretty handy application that makes exporting settings a piece of cake. Not everything is fully functional yet, but this has HUGE potential for the entire community and deserves some support and recognition.

@M3PH Is the public beta release any different than the last alpha build I tested?

Yeah i fixed the things you said were broken :p.. well the things i could fix (the palringo function mostly). I've also spent a little time this afternoon working on the user selectable save location with stephj and we've cracked it so i'll ship that out into a new private area for the testers tomorrow because i'm gonna go have some chill time. I've been working on this for 4 weeks or so and now it's public i'm gonna go enjoy myself for few hours :D

I've also just sent a PM to ezthunder in the hope that he will come read the thread and post something about it on the portal. I hope he likes EXCT.

Last edited:

cajunflavoredbob

May 1, 2010
Your Basement
Yeah i fixed the things you said were broken :p.. well the things i could fix (the palringo function mostly). I've also spent a little time this afternoon working on the user selectable save location with stephj and we've cracked it so i'll ship that out into a new private area for the testers tomorrow because i'm gonna go have some chill time. I've been working on this for 4 weeks or so and now it's public i'm gonna go enjoy myself for few hours :D

I've also just sent a PM to ezthunder in the hope that he will come read the thread and post something about it on the portal. I hope he likes EXCT.

He's a good one to contact. I always go through orb3000. Either way, here's hoping for some exposure. :)

Have yourself a beer for this little milestone.

M3PH

Aug 6, 2007
Gloucester, mebbe
He's a good one to contact. I always go through orb3000. Either way, here's hoping for some exposure. :)

Have yourself a beer for this little milestone.

I already am and theres gonna be a few more consumed before the evening is done :)

Just a couple of things for people reading this thread and thinking is it worth a try. Firstly hell yes! The more feedback i get from the curious the better because it will allow me to improve on the rough edges. I always release stuff as quickly as i can because the more people that use stuff like this the more it improves in a shorter amount of time. Secondly, if you have flashed more than just a couple of custom roms in your time you know it can be a pain to restore all your settings by hand. I remember when i was flashing updates every couple of days. It made using my phone so difficult because everytime i ran a new program i'd have to configure it. After every flash i would have go through the labourious process of reconfiguring my wifi, exchange partner and vpn settings. That's a half hour job right there and with EXCT it takes 10 seconds. Those numbers work for me and the 1500+ people that downloaded the original EXCT.

So go on, try it out, click that thanks button like you have a muscle spasm in your index finger and enjoy the brilliance that is EXCT2 (and if you really like it buy me a beer links below :rolleyes:)

Reactions: meangreen

BerMM

Mar 21, 2008
Tacoma
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 3
Can't wait to try it, just need to know what prep is needed. I'm coming from EXCT1, so should I do anything more than backup and empty my XDA_UC folder and then run the cab?

M3PH

Aug 6, 2007
Gloucester, mebbe
Can't wait to try it, just need to know what prep is needed. I'm coming from EXCT1, so should I do anything more than backup and empty my XDA_UC folder and then run the cab?

BerMM, Whazzzup!!!? :)

You actually need to interact with this (sorry if that sounds insulting. I've been drinking). For you, i would say all you need to do is make sure the exchange, wifi and vpn tabs are filled out and hit the export all button and prey it's doesn't crash (no exception handling in the public release yet). If it works fine you then you just need to check everything you need was exported and combine the back up with it.

There also stuff in EXCT2 that would have never got into EXCT (like Facebook and twitter settings backup). Mainly because NRGZ said he would include EXCT2 in the rom when it was up to his standards (and the sun, moon, most of the planets and the man himself all align :D).

Anyway, nice to see you're still around. I never forget a pretty face... i mean... i never forget a decent supporter :)

P.S
If you want a copy of the testing version let me know but it means you will have to do some work :( and stay in touch but you do get a cool banner like CajunBob's (ok fair enough, it's not exactly a massive selling point but Swiss spent time on those)

Last edited:

6700Freak

Aug 10, 2007
Ankeny
Going to give this a shot. Watching Nrgz postings shows he is getting ready to release his first 29022 ROM tonight so this will come in handing getting all the apps configured like I want them.

Thanks.

link68759

Jun 20, 2010
Razer Phone 2
Sony Xperia 5 II
Going to give this a shot. Watching Nrgz postings shows he is getting ready to release his first 29022 ROM tonight so this will come in handing getting all the apps configured like I want them.

Thanks.
Another rom, you say? Any chance someone could tell me where a changelog is for these different builds (29017 vs 29022 for example)?

back to the main subject: Great job! I haven't "export[ed] all' yet, as I don't use sense and I feared for the safety of my meticulously kept xda_uc folder, but everything I tested worked just fine.

My first suggestion would be the obvious; instead of having numbers for encryption/auth in the wifi tab, make the drop down list show the words each number represents.

I haven't HR'd yet, but looking at the Hotmail.reg, it doesn't seem to have saved the password anywhere, encrypted or not.
Additionally, it would be nice for it to have an option to add other mail accounts with a page similar to what you have for exchange.

M3PH

Aug 6, 2007
Gloucester, mebbe
Another rom, you say? Any chance someone could tell me where a changelog is for these different builds (29017 vs 29022 for example)?

back to the main subject: Great job! I haven't "export[ed] all' yet, as I don't use sense and I feared for the safety of my meticulously kept xda_uc folder, but everything I tested worked just fine.

My first suggestion would be the obvious; instead of having numbers for encryption/auth in the wifi tab, make the drop down list show the words each number represents.

I haven't HR'd yet, but looking at the Hotmail.reg, it doesn't seem to have saved the password anywhere, encrypted or not.
Additionally, it would be nice for it to have an option to add other mail accounts with a page similar to what you have for exchange.

You can't lift the hotmail password from the registry. It's just plain impossible but you can lift everything else so when you run windows live all you have to do is to enter the password. There is also no provision for placing it in to a registry file so windows live knows what to do with it. So blame MS not me.

The numbers will get masked eventually. Right now it's more of a case of getting everything working before we make it look nice (and if you look at post 3 there are links that explain the numbers)

If you want extra email accounts send me an example file and when i get time i'll make up a layout and some code for it.

You guys have to understand that to write a program like this i've had to do months of reaserch to get the registry keys etc for exct1 and then i've had to learn VB, develop exchange partner detection code (i am the only person in the world to have done that) and then write 1100+ lines and counting of code. I can also only develop for what i have to hand. If i don't have say a yahoo email account syncing to my phone i'm not just magic one up to test with

link68759

Jun 20, 2010
Razer Phone 2
Sony Xperia 5 II
You can't lift the hotmail password from the registry. It's just plain impossible but you can lift everything else so when you run windows live all you have to do is to enter the password. There is also no provision for placing it in to a registry file so windows live knows what to do with it. So blame MS not me.

The numbers will get masked eventually. Right now it's more of a case of getting everything working before we make it look nice (and if you look at post 3 there are links that explain the numbers)

If you want extra email accounts send me an example file and when i get time i'll make up a layout and some code for it.

You guys have to understand that to write a program like this i've had to do months of reaserch to get the registry keys etc for exct1 and then i've had to learn VB, develop exchange partner detection code (i am the only person in the world to have done that) and then write 1100+ lines and counting of code. I can also only develop for what i have to hand. If i don't have say a yahoo email account syncing to my phone i'm not just magic one up to test with

I won't blame microsoft for protecting my passwords :)

I appreciate the significant amount of work you've put into your projects; but correct me if I'm wrong, generating the email2.xml could be done in almost exactly the same way as you have with the activesync page. You don't need to test any email accounts, since if it doesn't work AND the xml file was generated correctly, that is beyond the scope of this export project (and probably something funky going on within winmo itself, since xda_uc is only the messenger). Regardless, I would be willing to create any number of email accounts to help testing, and I'm sure others with random email domains will offer up their bug reports.

I will post a sample email2.xml later

------EDIT
It's later, here's a generic imap email config. There's probably some unnecessary unused values at the end, and I don't mean to patronize, but have you read http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/bb737579 ?

Code:
<wap-provisioningdoc><characteristic type="EMAIL2">
<characteristic type="{76877040-0395-4efb-b3c6-b87c5aedce67}">
<parm name="SERVICENAME" value="Gmail" />
<parm name="SERVICETYPE" value="IMAP4" />
<parm name="INSERVER" value="imap.gmail.com" />
<parm name="OUTSERVER" value="smtp.gmail.com" />
<parm name="NAME" value="Link" />
<parm name="AUTHNAME" value="link68759@gmail.com" />
<parm name="AUTHSECRET" value="supersafepass" />
<parm name="DOMAIN" value="" />
<parm name="REPLYADDR" value="link68759@gmail.com" />
<parm name="FORMAT" value="2" />
<parm name="LINGER" value="30" />
<parm name="RETRIEVE" value="-1" />
<parm name="KEEPMAX" value="50" />
<parm name="DWNDAY" value="7" />
<characteristic type="TAGPROPS">
<parm name="8128000B" value="0"/>
<parm name="812C000B" value="1"/>
</characteristic>
<parm name="AUTHREQUIRED" value="1" />
<parm name="SMTPALTENABLED" value="0" />
<parm name="SMTPALTAUTHNAME" value="" />
<parm name="SMTPALTAUTHPASSWORD" value="" />
<parm name="SMTPALTDOMAIN" value="" />
</characteristic>
</characteristic>
</wap-provisioningdoc>

Last edited:

M3PH

Aug 6, 2007
Gloucester, mebbe
I won't blame microsoft for protecting my passwords :)

I appreciate the significant amount of work you've put into your projects; but correct me if I'm wrong, generating the email2.xml could be done in almost exactly the same way as you have with the activesync page. You don't need to test any email accounts, since if it doesn't work AND the xml file was generated correctly, that is beyond the scope of this export project (and probably something funky going on within winmo itself, since xda_uc is only the messenger). Regardless, I would be willing to create any number of email accounts to help testing, and I'm sure others with random email domains will offer up their bug reports.

I will post a sample email2.xml later

------EDIT
It's later, here's a generic imap email config. There's probably some unnecessary unused values at the end, and I don't mean to patronize, but have you read http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/bb737579 ?

Code:
<wap-provisioningdoc><characteristic type="EMAIL2">
<characteristic type="{76877040-0395-4efb-b3c6-b87c5aedce67}">
<parm name="SERVICENAME" value="Gmail" />
<parm name="SERVICETYPE" value="IMAP4" />
<parm name="INSERVER" value="imap.gmail.com" />
<parm name="OUTSERVER" value="smtp.gmail.com" />
<parm name="NAME" value="Link" />
<parm name="AUTHNAME" value="link68759@gmail.com" />
<parm name="AUTHSECRET" value="supersafepass" />
<parm name="DOMAIN" value="" />
<parm name="REPLYADDR" value="link68759@gmail.com" />
<parm name="FORMAT" value="2" />
<parm name="LINGER" value="30" />
<parm name="RETRIEVE" value="-1" />
<parm name="KEEPMAX" value="50" />
<parm name="DWNDAY" value="7" />
<characteristic type="TAGPROPS">
<parm name="8128000B" value="0"/>
<parm name="812C000B" value="1"/>
</characteristic>
<parm name="AUTHREQUIRED" value="1" />
<parm name="SMTPALTENABLED" value="0" />
<parm name="SMTPALTAUTHNAME" value="" />
<parm name="SMTPALTAUTHPASSWORD" value="" />
<parm name="SMTPALTDOMAIN" value="" />
</characteristic>
</characteristic>
</wap-provisioningdoc>

Cool, thanks. Can i be cheeky and as you to export the registry key for that too?

As for the coding, it is pretty similar but the problem is in the details. Although the xml writing code would be the same with out the above file i'd have no idea what the attributenames would need to be. Then there is digging the values from the registry. You need to know the name of the account and every one names them differently. So you need to have an inputbox so the user can enter the name, then you need to run a search through the registry to find the relevent key and finally convert all the registry values to something that can be used in an xml file. So, if the email2 providers aren't grouped together in the registry like the activesync partners that's gonna mean writing a custom search proceedure.

So you see how complicated it is and yes i had read that link but it doesn't tell me the things i need to know about the registry key's and values because you forget this program is supposed to be as autonomous as possible and just another xml file writer.

Right, and now for a progress update. The current testing version has an improved folderbrowser that now supports a hierarchal view. Also, i have implemented some very basic exception handling. I expect to get the new version to you guys this week but i'm not making an promises.

Reactions: link68759

link68759

Jun 20, 2010
Razer Phone 2
Sony Xperia 5 II
Ok, I see, I didn't realize the activesync page fetches values from the registry. I didn't use it, and from my glance at it, I thought you had to fill in the values yourself (which is what I thought would be done for the email2.xml).

I'll have the key for you shortly.

M3PH

Aug 6, 2007
Gloucester, mebbe
Ok, I see, I didn't realize the activesync page fetches values from the registry. I didn't use it, and from my glance at it, I thought you had to fill in the values yourself (which is what I thought would be done for the email2.xml).

I'll have the key for you shortly.

Some of it comes from the registry and some of it you have to enter coz it's easier to get the user to input it than convert the value data to something the xml file can use. Ideally i would prefer it if the user never had to enter anything but that perfect world doesn't exist

M3PH

Aug 6, 2007
Gloucester, mebbe
The Beta2 has gone to the testing team. I'm hoping they do their thing so i can get it out today but it's very much a case of it's ready when it's ready. The preliminary changelog includes lots of crash fixes and some bug squishing and a speed improvement here and there. I also have a surprise for you but i'll keep that one quiet untill we release Beta2. Let's just say it opens the door for some really cool future features.

Also would you guys like it if i posted future versions on xda as well as hotfile so you can use the new QR Code download system? Post below and tell me what you think

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    exct2title.png

This thread is for the discussion, development and support of EXCT2. EXCT2 is compatible with all Energy Roms based on Windows mobile 6.5 and it is entirely possible that it will work with other stock and custom windows mobile roms.

EXCT2 is the continuation of a project i started last year which can be found here. It was born out of a hatred for the hours it took to configure a new rom install.​

EXCT2 expands on EXCT by adding a basic User Interface and allowing for a large amount of automation for settings gathering from the system registry. No registry editors required, no Third party XML file writers needed. EXCT2 will detect exchange server settings, audio manager storage paths, Windows Live and palringo settings and so much more all at the touch of a button and export them in the appropriate file type in the folder of your choosing for XDA_UC (or possibly Sashimi) to import.​

EXCT2rc1SS1.png
    EXCT2rc1ss2.png
    EXCT2rc1ss3.png
    exct2rc1ss4.png
    EXCT2rc1ss5.Png

Requirements:

Windows Mobile 6.5 or 6.5.x (it may work with 6.0 and 6.1 as well but this has only been tested in the SDK's emulator and may not work as expected)
    .Net Compact Framework 3.5
    XDA_UC (it may well work with other settings importers like sashimi)
    Some patience :)

Known Bugs:

All known Bugs have been squished for now

Download:

All downloads will be hosted here and new builds will also be hosted on XDA. Hosting the newest version anywhere else is strictly prohibited and if you want to host mirrors of previous versions seek my permission first.

Some Fun Stuff

I have had some forum banners made up so the users can identify themselves to each other. Also so it is easier to identify the testers and myself outside of this thread. If anyone donates towards the continuation of the project you will get a special supporters banner. Below is the users banner for you to download. Thanks to Swiss420 for creating them and also for doing the program icon. Swis has also just come up with the EXCT2 Splat!

The Thank you's

Finally i should say thank you to a few people simply because they have put up with me pestering them with questions and because they have provided code. These people are XDA members Ultrashot, Stephj, Xcaliburinhand. Also Jesse Jiang and Reed Kimble the on MSDN forums have contributed greatly. Finally The testing team deserve a big thanks (even the guys that went MIA) CanjunFlavoredBob deserves the biggest thanks for sticking with it and providing some great suggestions and ideas.​
    After making some code changes, I got it working on my Tilt 2 (Rhodium).

M3PH is in the UK and was up until about midnight Central Time, or almost 6 AM in the UK. I sent the code that I changed through email at about 4:30 AM Central Time.

Sleep is important and I expect M3PH is going to catch up on that before updating it.

The good news is that it should be coming soon.
    The Changelog

Changelog:

18 November (RC1)
    Updated Visual look
    Other minor bug fixes

23 September (Beta 5)
    Added CHT export (hidden and disabled till the CHTE team sort out a bug in their code)
    Fixed Minor issue with twitter export
    Added People tab order export
    Added Manilla Tab order export
    Fixed issue with Alarm 2 and alarm3 exports

15 August (Beta 4)
    Added Alarm export functions
    Some small UI tweaks
    Improved Operation Complete and Operation Failed dialogs
    Other small tweaks and fixes

24 July (Beta 3.1)
    Fixed Rhodium crash (thanks to JVH3)

22 July 2011 (beta 3)
    Complete UI redesign.
    Added File overwrite checking
    Adjusted Time elapsed check in file write success check to 10 seconds
    Improved Exception handling
    Added "Export all" click detection to reduce the amount of message boxes it generates
    Updated xml export code to include updated error handling, file overwrite protection and Export all click detection
    Added copy.mscr to cab file (Installs to "\Storage Card\XDA_UC")
    Added copy2root folder detection/creation code
    Various Other internal changes

10 July 2011 (beta 2):
    Fixed xml file write checking code
    Improved folderbrowser (thanks to stephj)
    Improved combobox item description for all xml functions
    Fixed Twitter function (thanks to CJB for helping with that)
    Added framework for file copies. Will allow for opera settings export later
    Added some basic exception handling
    probably some other things i forgot to write down

30 June 2011 (beta 1):
    First public release
    Ok, so as an update to others watching this thread, the next big bug we're tackling is the crash on the Rhodium. It's heading in the right direction of narrowing down causes. I'm sure we'll get it solved in no time. We'll need to get some others with different devices to test it out too. If you know another member with a WM device other than the Rhodium, Leo, or Sable, let us know.
    So i've spent the last couple of days working on the bug i spotted in the images i posted. the solution, if it works, is basically an improvement on the code that is already there. It just means i don't have to recode it for every new form and it is easier to call in the existing instances.

I've also spent some time working on a new feature. I just need to lay down the export code and set up the variables but everything i need for the basic form layout is done (including the arrays for the combo boxes and the GUID generator that it's gonna need). I don't wanna say anymore about it but i think you guys are gonna love it.

Anyway, i'm off for some friday night fun time.