Wait for G3 or go with HTC One M8

Search This thread

theraker007

Jul 22, 2012
The reason I have been holding out for the G3 so far is because of that QHD display. However, having never actually seen the display I don't know whether I am wasting my time here. Is the display really going to be amazingly better?

alwayslearning

Dec 3, 2007
CA
The reason I have been holding out for the G3 so far is because of that QHD display. However, having never actually seen the display I don't know whether I am wasting my time here. Is the display really going to be amazingly better?

I have had mine for one day so far and the screen outperforms and is better than my Gal GS5. The screen is bigger than the GS5 but the phone in your hand feels the same size.

one thing I just found our today, because of the size of the screen, OneNote and Office 365 think it is a table, Microsoft does not make a Android tablet version for these two apps. I have to use these apps almost everyday so I may have to go back to my GS5 unless someone knows a way install these apps on this great phone.

Tomcat5

Aug 17, 2011
Lower Slower Delaware
I have had mine for one day so far and the screen outperforms and is better than my Gal GS5. The screen is bigger than the GS5 but the phone in your hand feels the same size.

one thing I just found our today, because of the size of the screen, OneNote and Office 365 think it is a table, Microsoft does not make a Android tablet version for these two apps. I have to use these apps almost everyday so I may have to go back to my GS5 unless someone knows a way install these apps on this great phone.

There is an xposed module for this I believe.

trincisor

Feb 1, 2008
Nexus 7 (2013)
Asus Zenfone 5Z
There is an xposed module for this I believe.

Search for Market helper

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

Wait for the G3 you will get a bigger display for almost the same physical phone size

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Skizzy034

Mar 10, 2010
Amsterdam, NY
www.facebook.com

Just download the apk to your S5 and then transfer it over and install it on the G3. It will be located in /data/app on your S5.

Sent from my VK810 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Jfree3000

Jul 20, 2010
Metro Atlanta
Thought about ditching my note 3 for the HTC m8 but that black bar taking up so much space lost me.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

williamtell

Aug 26, 2011
Austin
I feel that the m8 is about the best choice.. The g3's extra boost in core and ram are awesome along with the screen but I truely don't feel it will see full utilization in the devices life time.

I was in the same boat as you.. Though I'm on day three with the m8 and I cannot put it down.. Performance is solid.. And the dual speakers are phenominal.

Either way it's a good topic for discussion.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

williamtell

Aug 26, 2011
Austin
Do you want a locked bootloader or an unlocked one? That's the only question for me that needs answering.
At least the T-mobile version.

Stock the phone is fairly impressive as well.

I personally jump over to rooting like many within a day just because of the bloatware from T-Mobile and HTC.(what i considered)
Though some of the stock applications seem thought out and catered to the user over just to take up space.

Last edited:

alwayslearning

Dec 3, 2007
CA
Just download the apk to your S5 and then transfer it over and install it on the G3. It will be located in /data/app on your S5.

help please... I have not yet root my GS5 or G3, does the phone have to be root in order to see the apk?
I have onenote and office365 on my GS5 but can not see the apks in /data/app, my /data folder does not show the app folder.

FIXED: I used ontheflybackup from another phone, it exported the apk to sd card and then installed on my G3, all is good, I get to keep this great phone

Last edited:
Reactions: hack14u

Skizzy034

Mar 10, 2010
Amsterdam, NY
www.facebook.com
Which of the two devices are you suggesting has a locked bootloader?

LG locks all their flagship devices. HTC has a bootloader unlock tool.

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

help please... I have not yet root my GS5 or G3, does the phone have to be root in order to see the apk?
I have onenote and office365 on my GS5 but can not see the apks in /data/app, my /data folder does not show the app folder.

FIXED: I used ontheflybackup from another phone, it exported the apk to sd card and then installed on my G3, all is good, I get to keep this great phone

Yes, you would need root.

Bilhouse

Apr 14, 2011
Get the G3. I have the M8. Its not much of an upgrade over the M7. Its bigger, has a worse design (in my opinion), a slightly larger screen (but lower PPI) and slightly better speakers. The main advantages are the solid battery life and the Snapdragon 801. But the camera is still not very good.

The G3 has 3GB RAM, a Quad HD screen, 13MP camera with OIS+ and LaserFocus, a larger removable battery and despite it having a larger screen, its footprint is nearly the same as smaller screened smartphones such as the S5, M8 and Z2. Plus I think the new Optimus UI on the G3, is the most attractive UI outside of stock Android. Better than Touchwiz, Sense and Timescape.

alwayslearning

Dec 3, 2007
CA
Get the G3. I have the M8. Its not much of an upgrade over the M7. Its bigger, has a worse design (in my opinion), a slightly larger screen (but lower PPI) and slightly better speakers. The main advantages are the solid battery life and the Snapdragon 801. But the camera is still not very good.

The G3 has 3GB RAM, a Quad HD screen, 13MP camera with OIS+ and LaserFocus, a larger removable battery and despite it having a larger screen, its footprint is nearly the same as smaller screened smartphones such as the S5, M8 and Z2. Plus I think the new Optimus UI on the G3, is the most attractive UI outside of stock Android. Better than Touchwiz, Sense and Timescape.

I had the M8 for three days, sold it and got the G3, the G3 is so much better in so many ways.

Reactions: Bilhouse

dwd3885

May 20, 2010
i have the M8 now but have had the Nexus 5 and S5 as well. The camera is not bad it's actually pretty good for sharing via social media. It's really fast too.

That said, I'm looking at the G3. What looks like a problem with the G3 is LG's UI which to me is nothing more than a Samsung clone. I personally like the Sense UI better but that doesn't mean I will stick with the M8. The G3's camera looks amazing but so is the S5's. I don't know how much better the G3 would be than either the M8 or S5 honestly.

dkimmortal

Aug 16, 2011
I have a q, will more efficient processors in the future allow for quad hd to take less power or does it not matter and the screen is the screen and itll just draw a Certain amount just due to the light it has to emit and the cpu involved doesn't make that much of a difference?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I had the M8 for three days, sold it and got the G3, the G3 is so much better in so many ways.
    If you want immediate dev activity, then its easy, the M8

totally unknown if and how long it will take for any domestic G3 to be bootloader unlocked so roms can be flashed...
    Well, I don't need it immediate. I understand porting/creating a ROM or unlocking a bootloader is not a overnight process, but I've been wandering at the G2 forums, which was released 8 months ago, and there is not much variety. The G Flex forum didn't get AOSP so far and so on. I don't mind holding to OEM for a couple of months, but I love tweaking and not having that is a deal breaker. So I am kind of scared of getting the phone and not getting [enought] dev support.

I understand that you can't predict how much dev support a phone will get, but maybe someone can estimate.

As an example: I currently have a SGS2 and I am very happy with the amount of ROMs this device got.

Thanks for your answer.
    the SGS2 was an easy phone to unlock and dev roms for; it didnt have any of the security that the recent releases have, so dont expect many phones going forward, except for international versions, to be easy to root/unlock/dev for..

LG and the domestic carriers pretty much are going the same route of Samsung/Knox, so dont be surprised if it takes months, if ever, before there is alot of dev for the G3.

My flex still doesn't have any dev on it yet, although there seems to be a little progress recently, and its been out since January, if that tells you anything.
    the SGS2 was an easy phone to unlock and dev roms for; it didnt have any of the security that the recent releases have, so dont expect many phones going forward, except for international versions, to be easy to root/unlock/dev for..

LG and the domestic carriers pretty much are going the same route of Samsung/Knox, so dont be surprised if it takes months, if ever, before there is alot of dev for the G3.

My flex still doesn't have any dev on it yet, although there seems to be a little progress recently, and its been out since January, if that tells you anything.

Thanks very much, that was the exact kind of input I has hoping for.

So, looks like the M8 then, which is a pity because I really really liked this phone. So I guess that also means no root access since when I rooted my GS2 I had to flash a kernel, CWM and the su binary, am I right?

All the best.