[Q] Best Keyboard for Professional Manuscript?

Search This thread

jakfish

Jan 4, 2011
Hello, All,

Just purchased an S5, my first on-screen keyboard phone. I'd like to have some advice about a keyboard that can do smart quotes (curly quotes), ellipses, em dashes, and tabs.

Hacker's keyboard has these features, and I'm now using its Gingerbread, 4-row keyboard in portrait, but having come from nothing but physical keyboards, I'm struggling mightily with my typing.

I'm wondering if another on-screen keyboard might help, but I do need the above-stated syntax to be available.

Many thanks for any tips,
Jake

SAMPPLE

Jun 8, 2014
Bucharest
Asus ROG Phone 6 / 6 Pro
Hello, All,

Just purchased an S5, my first on-screen keyboard phone. I'd like to have some advice about a keyboard that can do smart quotes (curly quotes), ellipses, em dashes, and tabs.

Hacker's keyboard has these features, and I'm now using its Gingerbread, 4-row keyboard in portrait, but having come from nothing but physical keyboards, I'm struggling mightily with my typing.

I'm wondering if another on-screen keyboard might help, but I do need the above-stated syntax to be available.

Many thanks for any tips,
Jake

Try SwiftKey Keyboard: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey I use this keyboard and for me is the best

Android L Keyboard: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.shenye.android.inputmethod.latin

jakfish

Jan 4, 2011
Thank you for your alternatives. Can these other two keyboards make smart quotes (curly quotes), ellipses, em dashes, and tabs?

Jake

CallMeTut

Dec 26, 2010
Bluetooth keyboard

You could always get a physical I have a Tagrus folding keyboard that I carry around if I'm going to do some typing of a large amount of information, works great with both my S5 and Nexus 7 and has a small footprint when folded up. Like the other poster stated swift key is a great keyboard I use it on all my devices, you can have it do ellipsis by setting the options so a period is just a period and it has standard "" if that is what your asking about as curly quotes.
But if your going to be manuscript writing I would suggest some type of physical keyboard in the long run.

Reactions: jakfish

jakfish

Jan 4, 2011
Thank you. I had looked into keyboards and found a nifty one, almost the same size as the S4 (it's designed for the S4), but it hasn't yet been released for the S5. Curly quotes aren't straight quotes, they're the ones that hook either left or right. They're obnoxious, but required for manuscript submission. Good to hear that swift key at least has an ellipsis.

Textmaker, made by Softmaker, for Windows Mobile phone is a full-blown word processor. It's as if you're on your desktop and all the arcane syntax is available. Textmaker for Android is a serious disappointment, as stripped-down as QuickOffice or the others. Not enough of a disappointment to make me go back to Windows Mobile, however :)

Jake

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Bluetooth keyboard

You could always get a physical I have a Tagrus folding keyboard that I carry around if I'm going to do some typing of a large amount of information, works great with both my S5 and Nexus 7 and has a small footprint when folded up. Like the other poster stated swift key is a great keyboard I use it on all my devices, you can have it do ellipsis by setting the options so a period is just a period and it has standard "" if that is what your asking about as curly quotes.
    But if your going to be manuscript writing I would suggest some type of physical keyboard in the long run.