[HOWTO] unroot Complete stock guide with FAST working links

Search This thread

voidthedroid

Oct 21, 2011
First, thanks to all the Devs that put in all this work for free!

There has much confusion around unrooting the GSII. Zedomax was kind enough to make a once click unroot for us but there is trouble with it removing the customer kernels that have been included in some of the roms. I have put to together one place where there will be working links for everything that has gone missing. Getting stated there are multiple methods to unroot the phone and bring it back to stock, ODIN and Clockwork MOD recovery

Clockwork Mod Recovery Method:

Step 1. Download these 2 files :::Stock Kernel::::Zedomax's unroot rom::: and put in the root (meaning not in a folder) of the SD card.
Step 2. Boot the phone into recovery mode by hold vol +/- and power once it shows the Samsung logo let go of everything (Or from the power menu if you are using the JUGGERNAUT best rom IMHO).
Step 3. Using volume +/- key highlight "Install Zip from SD card" select it with the POWER key then using the same method select "Choose zip from SD card"
Step 4. Highlight the downloaded file (should be named "kernelstockcwm.zip") and select YES wait for it to complete

Step 5. using step 3 and 4 now select "SGH-T989-UnRoot_ROM_Zedomax" and YES.
DONE! Phone will be mostly stock, at least enough to return the device with out worry. (Zedomax's restored rom is dodexed tho)

ODIN METHOD-

Step 1. Download files to computer
ODIN LINK
Kies LINK
STOCK TAR (Thanks to Przekret) Rezipped and checked files (Odined my self back to stock) and removed password

Step 2. Install the KIES program on your PC REBOOT then extract ODIN and the Stock zip file to a folder on your computer.

Step 3. Run ODIN and put your phone in Download mode. (Have usb plugged in the computer and Hold VOL +/- on the phone and plug USB in) Once you see the download mode screen hit VOL +

Step 4. Select PDA from within odin and navigate to the extracted .tar.md5 file and hit START. When it completes give 6-10 min the phone will automatically reboot for you.

STEP 5. Thanks to Mikeyinid If you get a boot loop reboot the phone into recovery (Volume up+down and power until Samsung logo appears after let them go. Highlight Wipe data/Factory reset and select with power)

Hope this helps, didnt really see a definitive howto with steps and working links.

OTHER LINKS THAT MAY BE DOWN

STOCK Kernel ODIN
Stock RECOVERY ODIN
Bubby's INSCURE KERNEL to root

Thanks to Bubby, teshxx, zedomax, and all you devs!

VOID

Last edited:

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
No offense to zedomax, but his zip shouldn't be included in any unroot/return to stock how tos. The odin package is the only true method. Zedomax's zip is deodexed, and while T-Mobile may never know, its still not stock. Not to mention the fact people have already reported in several other threads that his zip is not flashing the stock kernel.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Reactions: spodie

voidthedroid

Oct 21, 2011
No offense to zedomax, but his zip shouldn't be included in any unroot/return to stock how tos. The odin package is the only true method. Zedomax's zip is deodexed, and while T-Mobile may never know, its still not stock. Not to mention the fact people have already reported in several other threads that his zip is not flashing the stock kernel.

Agreed sir, hopefully people will flash the stock kernel first, but yeah your right. More options the better especially if your in a pinch with no Odin access zedomax's way will pass but only true stock is via Odin.

Last edited:

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
Agreed sir, hopefully people will flash the stock kernel first, but yeah your right. More options the better especially if your in a pinch with no Odin access zedomax's way will pass but only true stock is via Odin.

Eh, I can see your point. Guess not everyone will have access to a pc or odin and being able to at least pass for stock is a good thing.

Rite Aid

Oct 22, 2011
How big is the tar file for Odin suppose to be ? When extract received error,was that suppose to happen?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

voidthedroid

Oct 21, 2011
317,972 Kb.... Just downloaded and unzipped fine on the in laws computer, maybe a bad download? Let me know I can re up it tonight

voidthedroid

Oct 21, 2011
I tried downloading the tar file and ones it finally downloaded it didn't work :(

I just used Odin to go back to stock I am compressing the files I used as a zip and uploading now.

Edit: Done op updated, put them in a zip file with no password after testing them on my phone

Last edited:
Reactions: hmata01

voidthedroid

Oct 21, 2011
This may be a dumb question, but are you updating those files?

Update? Not changing them at all. I've been posting links in the dev section for missing files so I figured I would put them all in one place hosted thru dropbox which is faster

voidthedroid

Oct 21, 2011
OP link updated, Odined myself back to stock to check the files, put them in a zip with no password.

Last edited:

voidthedroid

Oct 21, 2011
Yep it should look like this when you go to about phone from your settings.

6b02e91d-02b1-5b13.jpg

If so you are good

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First, thanks to all the Devs that put in all this work for free!

There has much confusion around unrooting the GSII. Zedomax was kind enough to make a once click unroot for us but there is trouble with it removing the customer kernels that have been included in some of the roms. I have put to together one place where there will be working links for everything that has gone missing. Getting stated there are multiple methods to unroot the phone and bring it back to stock, ODIN and Clockwork MOD recovery

Clockwork Mod Recovery Method:

Step 1. Download these 2 files :::Stock Kernel::::Zedomax's unroot rom::: and put in the root (meaning not in a folder) of the SD card.
    Step 2. Boot the phone into recovery mode by hold vol +/- and power once it shows the Samsung logo let go of everything (Or from the power menu if you are using the JUGGERNAUT best rom IMHO).
    Step 3. Using volume +/- key highlight "Install Zip from SD card" select it with the POWER key then using the same method select "Choose zip from SD card"
    Step 4. Highlight the downloaded file (should be named "kernelstockcwm.zip") and select YES wait for it to complete

Step 5. using step 3 and 4 now select "SGH-T989-UnRoot_ROM_Zedomax" and YES.
    DONE! Phone will be mostly stock, at least enough to return the device with out worry. (Zedomax's restored rom is dodexed tho)

ODIN METHOD-

Step 1. Download files to computer
    ODIN LINK
    Kies LINK
    STOCK TAR (Thanks to Przekret) Rezipped and checked files (Odined my self back to stock) and removed password

Step 2. Install the KIES program on your PC REBOOT then extract ODIN and the Stock zip file to a folder on your computer.

Step 3. Run ODIN and put your phone in Download mode. (Have usb plugged in the computer and Hold VOL +/- on the phone and plug USB in) Once you see the download mode screen hit VOL +

Step 4. Select PDA from within odin and navigate to the extracted .tar.md5 file and hit START. When it completes give 6-10 min the phone will automatically reboot for you.

STEP 5. Thanks to Mikeyinid If you get a boot loop reboot the phone into recovery (Volume up+down and power until Samsung logo appears after let them go. Highlight Wipe data/Factory reset and select with power)

Hope this helps, didnt really see a definitive howto with steps and working links.

OTHER LINKS THAT MAY BE DOWN

STOCK Kernel ODIN
    Stock RECOVERY ODIN
    Bubby's INSCURE KERNEL to root

Thanks to Bubby, teshxx, zedomax, and all you devs!

VOID

I flashed the stock rom through Odin, and am now boot-looping.

Volume up+volume down and power til Samsung logo, then release power. Wipe data/factory reset

I tried downloading the tar file and ones it finally downloaded it didn't work :(

I just used Odin to go back to stock I am compressing the files I used as a zip and uploading now.

Edit: Done op updated, put them in a zip file with no password after testing them on my phone

So to confirm the Odin file downloaded and worked?