[baseband/radio update tutorial] how to update g2x to the july 15 baseband

Search This thread

sunster

Nov 30, 2010
Just wanted to say thanks. My Wind Mobile 2x is now on the July 15 baseband. Had one hiccup where it said lost communication but i just removed the cable, plugged it back in and hit restart on the tool and it successfully completed.

LurkerRWO

May 2, 2011
I am trying to install the new baseband from a win7 computer. I know its up in the air if it will even work, but I thought I would test it and see what happens.

Everything is going smooth so far, but when I click "upgrade start" in the read phone information dialog box I get the error

"Please install CSMG B2C client TOOL Select Tool -> B2C Client Setup menu."

Did a little searching but all I found was some russian thread about the o2x and some jerk spammed a thread with this problem and was threatened with a banning :D

Any ideas about this? Pretty sure I have all the drivers installed and actually I just found out I get this error even when my phone IS NOT plugged into the pc. What the Eff?

Ok got it to work. Here was my process:

Uninstall everything related to mobile phones (except the android SDK)
-Uninstalled LG United Mobile Driver
-Uninstalled msxml.msi
-Uninstalled motorola and other phone drivers (flashing roms for friends)

Reinstalled all relevant drivers and downloaded B2Cappsetup.exe from (http://www.mediafire.com/?nyt1jdkmycd). The latter I dropped into the kdz dir and opened but then closed. (not sure if important)

I then followed the instructions in OP and BAM, it worked!

Note: I also did this on a win7 machine. With WeaponG2X flashed and CWM 5.0.2.0 flashed. It still worked flawlessly (Jul 15 2011 baseband woo!) but it did flash stock recovery (wish LG would keep its dirty hands off my recovery!!)

Here is a paste of my update log, probably not useful, but I like to be thorough!
http://pastebin.com/63wtKKpK

Edit: I like the time travel at the end there, timestamp goes from 18:14 back to 18:11. What the hell LG!?

Last edited:
Reactions: d12unk13astard

lytener

Jul 19, 2007
I just flashed everything back to original and managed to use the LG updater tool. The process sucked, but it worked.

BigDig

Aug 31, 2011
Boston
Xiaomi Poco F3
Is it possible that I make a back up of my current rom and then restore it after the update?Am I going to loose CWM after using that method and if I do, how do I get it back?
Thanks

SL

Mar 25, 2005
If you have CWM installed, just do a backup.
Then install the baseband..

re-install CWM after the baseband update.

restore via CWM and you will have everything Wind, except the baseband.

Is it possible that I make a back up of my current rom and then restore it after the update?Am I going to loose CWM after using that method and if I do, how do I get it back?
Thanks

Reactions: BigDig

BigDig

Aug 31, 2011
Boston
Xiaomi Poco F3
If you have CWM installed, just do a backup.
Then install the baseband..

re-install CWM after the baseband update.

restore via CWM and you will have everything Wind, except the baseband.

Thanks for the fast reply! So I`m currently running CM7 with CWM 5x; and planning to flash the baseband on win7 pc. From what I understand, I don`t have to go back to stock to perform the update, and win7 should not be a problem for the process. How do I flash CWM back? With Nvflash? Also will my phone remain rooted? I`ll appreciate your help. Thanks

SL

Mar 25, 2005
http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1183168

Just fopllow the thread above.
You reflash CWM with NV falsh.

When you falsh your baseband, make sure you have the LG drivers loaded, the KDZ file and the V21e file....follow the instructions.....takes 20 minutes at most and you are all done.

If you flash a rooted rom via CWM, it will be rooted.

Thanks for the fast reply! So I`m currently running CM7 with CWM 5x; and planning to flash the baseband on win7 pc. From what I understand, I don`t have to go back to stock to perform the update, and win7 should not be a problem for the process. How do I flash CWM back? With Nvflash? Also will my phone remain rooted? I`ll appreciate your help. Thanks

schmit

Apr 21, 2011
Passing through..
http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1183168

Just fopllow the thread above.
You reflash CWM with NV falsh.

When you falsh your baseband, make sure you have the LG drivers loaded, the KDZ file and the V21e file....follow the instructions.....takes 20 minutes at most and you are all done.

If you flash a rooted rom via CWM, it will be rooted.

Page not found.. Here's the corrected url: xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1183168

Last edited:

95Z28

Apr 29, 2011
Well I've had my g2x for about 2 weeks now and I can't for the life of me get the july baseband! I started out trying to update it following lgs instructions and got a soft brick.

Managed to get it back to life with the help of these forums. And have since tried every method on xda and anywhere else I can find. It always fails (I've downloaded every driver I can find, deleted everything and redownloaded multiple times), will get partially through and say my phones not connected. I've even tried about every ROM available in the hopes it would be included (coming from sgs4g where ROMs usually include everything).

Anymore ideas out there about how to update (my laptop is win 7, but I see several others have still had success) :confused:

SL

Mar 25, 2005
Please list your steps so that we can see if you are missing a step or did something wrong.

Reactions: 95Z28

jltapawan

Feb 18, 2009
Just wanted to say thanks. My Wind Mobile 2x is now on the July 15 baseband. Had one hiccup where it said lost communication but i just removed the cable, plugged it back in and hit restart on the tool and it successfully completed.

Hi,

Just wondering what improvements you experienced, if any on the JULY 15 baseband and WIND. I have been with Wind for 1 year now and I just picked up two G2X's free on the windtab+

SL

Mar 25, 2005
Depends...I have 2 LG myself and I had one on the June 5 baseband (wind) and the July 15 baseband (TM)

Both worked well, battery life was almost the same The July 15 had a small edge. The GPS is smoother on the TM baseband......

Hi,

Just wondering what improvements you experienced, if any on the JULY 15 baseband and WIND. I have been with Wind for 1 year now and I just picked up two G2X's free on the windtab+

xblitzz

Nov 16, 2010
Montreal
is there a way to Backup my current Baseband? I want to try the TM July 15th Baseband ... but I want to make sure I can go back if it doesnt work as good ad the one I currently have (since im not on TM)

XMarinE

Feb 12, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
LG V60 ThinQ
Will this work if I want to re-flash my base band? I have the latest but think it's buggy...I have the issue with my phone saying invalid sim card. Someone mentioned it could be a corrupt base band. in other words I want to overwrite the current one with the same base band(Jul 15). The weird thing is that I can plug an AT&T sim in and the phone works, or my Straight Talk sim and it works...just APN changes to connect the data. Only my T-Mobile sims give me the error.. It is a new activated sim from T-Mobile and has worked on and off. I can place it in the phone tomorrow and it might show T-Mobile carrier and work,but if I reboot the phone or leave it on all night, it's off and says invalid sim again???

xdjneo

Jun 16, 2006
Toronto
Hiccup

I had a slight Hiccup ... Didn't bootup ... saw the TMo animation then it restarted blank screen .... then restarted again .... tried going into recovery (btw: it was stock, had CWM before; guessing that's normal) .... I think it did a factory reset there and then finally it started up

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS MAY OR MAY NOT ONLY WORK ON XP (it may or may not work with virtualization).
    THIS MAY SOFT BRICK YOUR PHONE
    YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY

HOW TO UPDATE YOUR G2X TO THE JULY 15 BASEBAND/RADIO FIRMWARE

DOWNLOAD:
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=420545&d=1287222698
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RUO49V2D

PREREQUISITES:
    USB FILES MUSH BE INSTALLED ALREADY: http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/G2X-Driver/index.jsp should be enough though you may need other drivers. also the lg support tool is there, it updates your device in the same exact way as this nex l33t hacker stuff except it's a lot more clunky and a ***** and probably won't actually do anything other than messing up your phone)
    also I personally did http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1248644 to guarantee success though i'm sure it will work with any custom rom. idk tho. also use this link IF YOU SOFTBRICKED YOUR PHONE
    also BACKUP EVERYTHING to somewhere; not too sure but I think this even formats the sdcard(internal storage)

INSTRUCTIONS:
    unzip first file and follow instructions in readme (install msxml.msi then run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe).

Then
    -LEAVE IT CDMA AND DIAG
    -select your kdz file
    -click "Read phone information"
    -then in the new window click "Upgrade start" (do not click read phone information here it will crash)
    -then select different country and change language to english
    -click ok and contemplate which rom you will flash after it's done

CONCLUSION:
    Not only will this flash a brand spanking new baseband it will also throw in tmobile bloatware and all that ewness

CONTEMPLATION:
    DOes this even do anything? Only the dates change the version numbers stay the exact same. Also on a more whishful tangent what are the chances do you think other random firmwares (like battery controller or something idk) also get updated?

REFERENCEs:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1183168
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=15878353#post15878353

DISCLAIMER: I don't know what these files are and what they do and have no idea what's going on; at the end there's a more recent date in the corner of my phone and I am happy LOL. For more information scour the previous link.

(if you tried it and it worked plz post what you used (roms, cwm or stock recovery) and what exactly happened (did it also format the internal sd or whatever). if it didn't work plz post the problem and what exactly happened)
    D
    Deleted member 4128896
    I had the same issues and even when I got past that stage I kept getting a star model error. I'm curious if anyone else on wind has figured it out

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

I dont know, i went through the whole thread and downloaded a bunch of different files. But I still cant get mine to update. Im on the wind phone that people seem to be having trouble with. The one that says I have the latest rom, which I do not. Frustrating. And on top of it, im running windows 7 which makes the KDZ method crash. :/

I'm a wind user as well and I've had my share of headaches because of the KDZ updater, but thanks to a few xda members flashing basebands has become as easy as flashing a rom for me. Hopefully it'll be as easy for you too, so here's what needs to be done:

1) follow the instructions here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1248644&highlight=nvflash to nvflash stock 2.3.3 (Some people say this step is not needed but it's different for everyone and nothing goes wrong with stock)
    2) follow the instructions here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1610597 to update your baseband.

If you run into any problems let me know and i'll try give you more details.
    OK, I managed to finally do this with my Wind P999 that was on Jun 5 baseband.

I'm going to link to a couple of sources that helped me and then explain briefly what I did.

DEV KDZ update in Optimus 3d forum: here

Optimus 3D posts on flashing KDZ (in part): here

I couldn't use the "KDZ_FW launches LG update" because LG update complained I didn't need an update.
    Also, KDZ_FW_UPD crashed under windows 7 for me.

What I did differently that I havent seen anyone in the G2X forum post is this:

1) I put the phone into 'download mode' (ie; forced it to the s/w upgrade screen)
    I did this by removing the battery , plugging in the USB with only vol-down held down.

2) I used the KDZ_FW_UPD thats floating around on the g2x forum, not the ones listed in the threads above. For me, I used it inside "XP MODE" virtual pc that comes with windows ultimate/pro/etc.

3) No one posted in this forum is - you don't need to do the silly "Read phone info" garbage. You can use the 'launch software update' on the first page of the KDZ_FW tool. WITH TYPE "3GQCT" and PhoneMode "EMERGENCY"

4) I found that the USB disconnected every so often during the update, normally that shouldn't be a problem, but in a virtual environment you might have to quickly "re-attach" the local usb to the XP virtual box. Depends on your virtual box.

I am not knowledgeable about this stuff! I just know what worked for me.
    Big thanks to the guys over in the optimus 3d forum for having such good resources to take advantage of.

I'm sure there are many other variations that will work to do this.
    I uploaded these copies of what I actually used, Im afraid I can't attribute who I got the original files from since there are quite a few different ones around.

V21E P999 KDZ file: here
    KDZ_FW_UPD_EN file: here
    Getril just updates the RIL files, no change to the baseband.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Can you post the links to the files again? The ones on page 1 don't work thanks to the US.

Also can you confirm that you were on June baseband before?

Getril just updates the RIL files, no change to the baseband.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Can you post the links to the files again? The ones on page 1 don't work thanks to the US.

Also can you confirm that you were on June baseband before?

I know for sure I was on the march baseband before. What I did is, I did that l33t hacking stuff he said earlier, which links you to another thread. I installed v21 stock. So it removed my CWM. From there on I ran the LG updater tool. Like the one that lg made and not the hacked KDZ thingy. I ran the updater and bam! New baseband

Here is the link to the. KDZ that jboxer kindly re-loaded for me
    http://www.mediafire.com/?zrgr3mzw4xbe9oe

Sent from my G2X
    Hellfire Phoenix
    Hello people! Mind updating the link...cause Megaupload is gone forever and all...Thanks in advance :D

I posted about a week ago in a thread and included a link that I found and used. I'll see if I can dig it up. It was either on NVFlash/CWM thread or another baseband one...

EDIT: I'll host it for now, if anyone wants to seed this that would be awesome... not sure how long i'll have this up... but HERE is v21e