[MOD] Android Charging Cable ★..:∞ Use Any USB Charger (Even Apple's) ∞:..★

Search This thread

kbeezie

Feb 23, 2010
Grand Rapids, Mi
karlblessing.com
I was going to try this but then I noticed all the USB cables I do have already have the shortened data pins in the middle.

Seems the only charger I've come accross that won't charge more than 500mA on shortened cables are the Kensington ones with the "PowerWhiz" feature, as a safty mechanism it seems to limit the charge to 500mA or less for unrecognized devices (As a result it won't charge my N7 over 500mA), sets 1A max for smartphones, and 2A max for tablets, except it's not doing 2A for my N7 I'm guessing cuz it doesn't see it as a tablet. (tested this on two different AbsolutePower 4.2 chargers)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheByteSmasher

pokatusher

Jan 16, 2012
Moscow
If i use 3A charger (as example), does it burnout my phone? :)

My phone is support fast charging via 1.5A stock charger (sony ep881), and i have 3A car charger and want use it for quick charging. But i worry about my Z Ultra)

Last edited:

TheByteSmasher

Jan 14, 2010
Atlantis
If i use 3A charger (as example), does it burnout my phone? :)

My phone is support fast charging via 1.5A stock charger (sony ep881), and i have 3A car charger and want use it for quick charging. But i worry about my Z Ultra)

The phone should only pull as much as it wants... the charger supplies the voltage, the device draws the amps.... SO, no. Your phone should be alright as far as the charger is concerned as long the charger is 5 volts.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pokatusher

pokatusher

Jan 16, 2012
Moscow
The phone should only pull as much as it wants... the charger supplies the voltage, the device draws the amps.... SO, no. Your phone should be alright as far as the charger is concerned as long the charger is 5 volts.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
I know this, but i'm afraid that modding described in this topic can broke anything in this case

michael_gcm

Apr 18, 2014
Im curious, would this mod also work for the samung galaxy note 10.1 cable? Has anyone tried it?

Thanks in advance.

derita

Jul 16, 2014
failed

Hi all

Recently modified a cable for my nexus 7.at first it seemed to charge with co pilot running but now seems to have stopped

The cable was modified by an expert so should not have faikoed.
Anyone know how I can easily check the cable continuity?

Incidentally when connected it does reportbAC charging but so does any other v
cable.

Derrick

clapper66

Apr 17, 2013
i bought a used nexus 7 2012 for $70 on ebay because i wanted to see how i liked tablets before i think about buying a newer one and when i got my nexus 7 i first rooted it then i noticed when i went to charger it was super super slow, but thankfully i found this post and now if my N7 keeps charging at the same speed it is not it only takes a little over 2 hours :):):):)

prithvic

Oct 21, 2014
Mυмвαι
Redmi K20 Pro
Is it fine if i solder these 2 pins in the middle? Ill solder them like the orange line i've made.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20150327_103325_1.jpg
    IMG_20150327_103325_1.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 1,293

rigattoni

Apr 27, 2010
Fuerth
I don´t know if that has been written yet:
PLEASE DON´T USE SUCH CABLE AT YOUR PC/LAPTOP.
You would damage your USB card in your PC/Laptop immediately because the Nexus would pull more amps than the allowed 500mA.

zikkmu

Dec 24, 2008
Hi everybody.
I'm experiencing such an headache with that issue!! I modified my two car chargers so the two central pins are connected. I confirmed this with a multimeter.

But unfortunately, all my phones (Samsung A3 2016, 2017, J5 2016, LG G3) still recognize the car chargers as USB chargers!!!

I can't undertsand how this works!

I tried different cables, but the issue is really coming from the 12v car charger.

Can someone tell me how android recognizes a USB charger from a wall charger? Don't tell me with the two pins because this doesn't work. I have two car chargers modified still recognized as wall chargers =(

Please...

Thank you

TheByteSmasher

Jan 14, 2010
Atlantis
Hi everybody.
I'm experiencing such an headache with that issue!! I modified my two car chargers so the two central pins are connected. I confirmed this with a multimeter.

But unfortunately, all my phones (Samsung A3 2016, 2017, J5 2016, LG G3) still recognize the car chargers as USB chargers!!!

I can't undertsand how this works!

I tried different cables, but the issue is really coming from the 12v car charger.

Can someone tell me how android recognizes a USB charger from a wall charger? Don't tell me with the two pins because this doesn't work. I have two car chargers modified still recognized as wall chargers =(

Please...

Thank you
First of all, no one said to modify the charger, only the cable. Secondly what capacity does the charger supply (voltage and current)? Lastly I'd like to mention that this thread is only for micro USB cables.

zikkmu

Dec 24, 2008
First of all, no one said to modify the charger, only the cable
It was the subject of post #15... Anyway, the two central pins of any USB cable connected to these chargers are shortened, this allow me not to build "charge only" cable
Secondly what capacity does the charger supply (voltage and current)?
There are two USB ports :5V @ 1A and 2A
Lastly I'd like to mention that this thread is only for micro USB cables.
Ok

TheByteSmasher

Jan 14, 2010
Atlantis
It was the subject of post #15... Anyway, the two central pins of any USB cable connected to these chargers are shortened, this allow me not to build "charge only" cable
There are two USB ports :5V @ 1A and 2A
Ok
It's possible your car charger isn't powerful enough. I always recommend using a 2.1 amp charger minimum. I like the Scosche ReVolt ( SCOSCHE ReVolt Compact Dual Port USB Fast Car Charger with Illuminated LED Backlight - 12 Watts/2.4 Amps Per Port (24W/4.8A Total Output) - High Speed Universal Multi Device Mobile Charger - Black (USBC242M) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E1UWA4O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_EXasAbGVT5957 ) It has 2.4A per Port.

zikkmu

Dec 24, 2008
Yes, it is possible that the charger, given to provide 1 and 2 amp, is only able to provide 300mA....

But I have another car charger given for 2x2A which only gives 300 or 400mA... Thia charger has also been modified.

Thank you for the link. I was also thinking about getting an ankle car charger, hippefullyb6it will be recognized as well charger.

Thank you for replying

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [MOD] Android Charging Cable ★..:∞ Use Any USB Charger (Even Apple's) ∞:..★

This thread is being created to summarize and condense all the knowledge on the interwebs about charging the Nexus 7 and various other Android Devices.

***I have been told this works for a variety of Nexus/Samsung Galaxy/Blackberry/General Android devices.***

The Google Nexus 7, 10 & 4 (Plus a myriad of other Micro USB devices) will charge from any USB, car or powerbug charger, including those designed for Apple products.

That being said, let's discuss why there are so may issues with chargers/charging with the N7. In order to do that, we need to look at the USB specifications. If you don't care about the technical aspects, feel free to skip ahead to Post #3 (I won't be offended;)) but please don't ask any questions that are clearly answered here as they tend to clog up a thread.

From Wikipedia:
    The USB Battery Charging Specification of 2007 defines new types of USB ports, e.g., charging ports.[48] As compared to standard downstream ports, where a portable device can only draw more than 100 mA current after digital negotiation with the host or hub, charging ports can supply currents above 500 mA without digital negotiation. A charging port supplies up to 500 mA at 5 V, up to the rated current at 3.6 V or more, and drop its output voltage if the portable device attempts to draw more than the rated current. The charger port may shut down if the load is too high.

So basically, The Nexus 7 with a standard micro USB cable with the data (inner) pins not shorted will default to a 500mA charging status using a generic/Apple Charger. You still will NOT CHARGE properly even with a 2.1A generic/Apple USB charger. I discovered that even with the N7 powered off and plugged into a 2.1A car charger not only didn't it charge but I'm pretty sure it drained the battery somewhat too.

So What is the Solution? Create/Modify a standard USB cable to allow the N7 to charge from any USB port! Even one that supplies less than 2.1A. :D
    The only downside is that this cable will be incapable of data transfer.

Some generic chargers will work, however, if it says designed for iPad/Apple, chances are you'll need the modded cable.

I have built some of these cables and will show you how to build one yourself using the wonderful tool that is digital photography... Please excuse my less than wonderful photographic skills. :eek: Read on for instructions and Photos!

UPDATE: Android 4.2's Kernel has enabled charging without these cables (&$^#&%*!). They still will be useful for other devices on older versions of Android.
    The Test

To test this I used a Belkin Surge Suppressor with 2 USB charging outlets. I believe the amperage rating of the charging ports is only 0.5A each.

A.jpg

As you can see, using an unmodified USB cable, The Nexus wouldn’t charge:

C1.jpg

C2.jpg

Using the Modified USB Cable, Viola!

D1.jpg

D2.jpg

REMEMBER: Even though the Nexus 7 will draw current from less than 2.1A chargers, They may not provide sufficient current to charge your Nexus while in use. I used the 0.5A charger as an example. I created this cable for use in my car on the 2.1A cigarette lighter plug-in.

I hope this has helped you
    The Method

The method is fairly simple assuming you have a basic working knowledge of wire stripping, soldering and such.

The Materials Required::
    • A Micro USB Cable
    • A Soldering Iron
    • Electrical Solder
    • 14 & 28 AWG Stranded Wire (American Wire Gauge) Strippers (A really sharp pocket knife and steady hands can be used instead, but it's harder)
    • Electrical Tape -OR- Liquid Electrical Tape
    • Heat Shrink Tubing (1/4" to shrink to 1/8")
    • A Heat Gun (A lighter will work but this is very tricky and dangerous and NOT recommended, Try a very Hot Hairdryer instead)

ENSURE THE USB CABLE IS COMPLETELY UNPLUGGED PRIOR PERFORMING ANY WORK

• First cut the USB cable in two. I recommend cutting it about 3/4 the way down toward the micro (Device) end.

3.jpg

• Strip about 1 inch of both ends of the USB cable (usually 14 AWG Stranded). If the cable is good quality you may find both bare wire and foil shielding around the 4 wire bundle.
    • If present, unwrap and cut off both foil and bare wire.
    • On the charger ended cable, Strip a bit off of the Red and Black wires (see photos) and shorten but don’t strip the Green and White wires.

1.jpg

• If you are using Heat-Shrink (Highly Recommended) slide it over the USB cable before making any connections. A 3 inch piece should be more than sufficient. Just remember it needs to cover both the job and a bit of the unbroken cable on each end to ensure a good fit and protection.

2.jpg

• On the device ended cable (micro) Strip a bit of wire off the end of all four of the wires.
    • On the device ended cable (micro) Twist and solder the GREEN and WHITE wires together.

3b.jpg

• Reconnect the 2 cable halves as follows:
    o Twist the Black wires together and solder. I prefer to do it straight as in the photo but side to side works too, it’s just bulkier.
    o Twist the Red wires together and solder.
    o REMEMBER: Only a small amount of solder is required. The bigger the blob, the worse the job.

4.jpg

• Now you have a choice: You can lightly coat the soldered joints in liquid electrical tape (recommended) or wrap them individually in standard electrical tape. Standard electrical tape is trickier to use since the wires are so small. Since it’s only 5V, not a lot is required. For the liquid (dries in 5 minutes) I did 2 light coats to ensure I coated all exposed wire.

6b.jpg

• Now place the wires next to each other and either:
    o Slide the Heat-Shrink over the entire break, ensuring you have covered some unbroken cable on each end and apply a heat with a heat gun or a hairdryer on hot. Don’t hold the heat source too close or you can melt either your USB cable or the heat shrink. Use a sweeping back and forth motion for best results. -OR-
    o Wrap the entire job in electrical tape, ensuring to have covered at least ½ inch of cable on each end. Wrap with overlapping wraps (spiral like) from one end of the break to the other and then without cutting the tape, reverse and still using the overlapping wraps, wrap back to the starting point.

7.jpg

• That’s it! The completed cable should look like this

8.jpg

The History

So, I looked forever to find a solution. The Targus Universal USB Car Charger (2.1A) has a small (3") adapter cable that comes with it, ostensibly for the Galaxy Tab. That little cable also allows the N7 to be charged from ANY 2A car charger. I was using the adapter with a Scosche reVOLT c2 - Dual 10 Watt (2.1A) USB Car Charger (low-profile) Model# USBC202M

This is the Targus adapter connected to the charger and a standard USB cable.

ADPt.jpg

After some research I discovered the information located in the OP and decided to modify some of my USB cables to work as charging only cables for the N7. This cuts down on the clutter on my dashboard and I don’t need to use an adapter to charge.
    :victory:​
    pogo pins

and now the guide to make it for pogo pins!
    I'm working on that one. :)