[Q] Transformer vs Xoom RAM

Search This thread

danny6514

Oct 22, 2007
Waterloo
I was looking through the specifications of the transformer and realized it had DDR2 memory instead of DDR3. Since the Xoom has a DDR3 memory, I'm just wondering if there really is a difference in terms of performance and stability. Thanks!

Update - Sorry I messed up. The Xoom actually has DDR2 but clocked at a slower speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: xBRx-Blackout

seshmaru

Aug 22, 2009
The transformer actually scores higher in memory benchmarks so I don't know about the accuracy of the DDR3 claim.

Reactions: danny6514

L0$t$0ul

Jun 28, 2010
Is the weight right on that comparison? They say 2.2 pounds. I thought it was lighter than the zoom.

Here's a comparison (and I've seen other similar ones) showing them both having DDR2 RAM and, interestingly, the TF with a 667MHz system bus compared to the Xoom with a 600MHz system bus. That could help explain why the TF shows faster benchmarks pretty much across the board.

http://mypcgadget.com/wp-content/uploads/Motorola-xoom-eee-pad-comparison2.png

wynand32

Jan 2, 2008
I was on my phone when I posted my last comment so I couldn't copy the link easily.

Here it is http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-2.html

Memory
Frequency DDR2-667 (Tegra 250)
LPDDR2-600 (Tegra 230 and Tegra 250)
Memory Size Up to 1GB

Aha, so, that explains the discrepancy in performance between the Asus and the Xoom. It could also help explain why the Xoom seems to get better battery life than the Asus. Fascinating.

In this case, I'll take a faster system with somewhat less battery life, since the keyboard dock more than makes up for the difference.

seshmaru

Aug 22, 2009
Aha, so, that explains the discrepancy in performance between the Asus and the Xoom. It could also help explain why the Xoom seems to get better battery life than the Asus. Fascinating.

In this case, I'll take a faster system with somewhat less battery life, since the keyboard dock more than makes up for the difference.

Battery life statement is very subjective since different reviews showed the transformer winning, and some showed xoom winning. I'm assuming they might have been using the my water live wallpaper on some tests while testing battery life though which would explain the discrepancies.

wynand32

Jan 2, 2008
Battery life statement is very subjective since different reviews showed the transformer winning, and some showed xoom winning. I'm assuming they might have been using the my water live wallpaper on some tests while testing battery life though which would explain the discrepancies.

True enough. So maybe the batter savings from using the low power RAM is less than the performance difference. Because that's definitely been fairly consistent in showing the Asus as being the better performer.

dotpro

Apr 23, 2011
Atlanta
Xoom's system bus speed is less than that of the Transformer. Best Buy's spec page for both show DDR2... :confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was looking through the specifications of the transformer and realized it had DDR2 memory instead of DDR3. Since the Xoom has a DDR3 memory, I'm just wondering if there really is a difference in terms of performance and stability. Thanks!

Update - Sorry I messed up. The Xoom actually has DDR2 but clocked at a slower speed.
    The transformer actually scores higher in memory benchmarks so I don't know about the accuracy of the DDR3 claim.
    2.2 lbs includes the Keyboard Dock....