Completely Dead Nexus 5

Search This thread

UltraNoob

May 6, 2012
I bought a damaged nexus 5 off of kijiji that had a shattered screen. I bought the phone to fix, but realized that the phone does not power on at all. There is no response from the phone at all. No charging LED, no vibration, or any other signs of life.

The phone came with the box and charger so i tried leaving it on charge for a few hours hoping that it was just the battery that went dead. Unfortunately this was not the case and the phone still doesnt turn on. I popped open the back cover looking for any visible damage on the phone, but it doesnt look like there is anything wrong. The liquid damage indicators have not been triggered (still completely white) and i do not see any corrosion on the inside which i guess rules out liquid damage.

I then thought that it could possibly be the charging circuit from the micro usb so i then tried with a qi wireless charger. The wireless charger doesnt even detect that a phone is placed on it when the nexus 5 is on it.

At this point i have no idea what is wrong with the phone and feel like i just bought an expensive paper weight :( . I dont really want to shell out the $120 for a full screen assembly if the phone doesnt work at all.

Anyone have any ideas?

meangreenie

Mar 6, 2012
battery might of been left flat too long

keep trying to charge it

also see if you can get into download mode by holding the up volume key and plugging the USB lead in while attatched to a running pc

UltraNoob

May 6, 2012
battery might of been left flat too long

keep trying to charge it

also see if you can get into download mode by holding the up volume key and plugging the USB lead in while attatched to a running pc

I left it to charge overnight and still no signs of life. I did notice if you put the phone up to your ear when it's charging you can hear a pulsating noise. Not sure if that helps at all.

I will try the download mode thing. Also I have a Usb jig from my s2 days. Will it work with this phone?

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app

rayiskon

Jan 9, 2011
As far as i know from previous phones i owned, the liquid marks should show red/pink X marks, those get washed out in liquid damage scenarios. So if you ask me, the white indicators are suspicious. (But i might be wrong of course).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

UltraNoob

May 6, 2012
As far as i know from previous phones i owned, the liquid marks should show red/pink X marks, those get washed out in liquid damage scenarios. So if you ask me, the white indicators are suspicious. (But i might be wrong of course).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

We from my experience the indicators are white and they turn red/pink when exposed to liquid so I'm pretty sure it's fine.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app