IKEA Lamp controlled from an Android phone

Search This thread

trandi

Jan 21, 2012
This post is about a simple idea: take a cheap 3 colours Ikea night lamp, hack it by replacing its original MCU and adding a cheap serial bluetooth device and then write a simple Android app to control the lamp remotely from your phone !

This is just the beginning, imagine the possibilities once the phone has direct control over the colours and their respective intensities. You can make it light up in sync with some music, you can make it change colours depending on some e-mails you receive or your Facebook status, etc. ...

You can find more details as well as the code, on the original blog post (I know I'm not allowed yet to post external links, but it's definitely not spam and I can't really just copy and past all the stuff and code examples from that blog here...):

trandi.wordpress.com/2012/01/13/spoka-night-light-controlled-from-and-android-phone/

Dan

Attachments

• spoka-night-light__0097669_PE238441_S4.JPG
    spoka-night-light__0097669_PE238441_S4.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,253
  • 2011.10.15_Spoka_TheSerialBluetoothConnected.jpg
    2011.10.15_Spoka_TheSerialBluetoothConnected.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,902
  • 2012.01.13_Spoka_PuttingEverythingBack.jpg
    2012.01.13_Spoka_PuttingEverythingBack.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,577
  • 2011.10.01_SpokaInitial.jpg
    2011.10.01_SpokaInitial.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,765
  • 2011.09.28_Spoka_ReverseEngineer_Schema.jpg
    2011.09.28_Spoka_ReverseEngineer_Schema.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,683

Fahrenheit

Apr 4, 2008
This post is about a simple idea: take a cheap 3 colours Ikea night lamp, hack it by replacing its original MCU and adding a cheap serial bluetooth device and then write a simple Android app to control the lamp remotely from your phone !

This is just the beginning, imagine the possibilities once the phone has direct control over the colours and their respective intensities. You can make it light up in sync with some music, you can make it change colours depending on some e-mails you receive or your Facebook status, etc. ...

You can find more details as well as the code, on the original blog post (I know I'm not allowed yet to post external links, but it's definitely not spam and I can't really just copy and past all the stuff and code examples from that blog here...):

trandi.wordpress.com/2012/01/13/spoka-night-light-controlled-from-and-android-phone/

Dan

This is genius! Your skills are supreme.

htccraze

Oct 20, 2010
Hiding from under the bed
ok so I normally don't comment on posts without a reason to often, i just feel it clutters up xda to much BUT I have to say this is 100% pure genius not to mention very original. I love the idea and I'm saving this page to my favs to keep up to date on its progress.

GStar01

May 14, 2008
GReat Work, is it your Work? Know you, how much "channels" could be controlled?

Last edited:

savage6

Jan 30, 2012
Windsor

Dan

This is awesome. Definitely giving this a try on payday.

f(android)

Feb 1, 2012
could you use the same concept to trigger a relay on a power outlet, to do some home automation/bluetooth control?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Dan
    Best 1st post ever.