[How-To] Root and un-root the T-Mobile myTouch 3G

Search This thread

lesjaw

Jun 3, 2008
I got

Update Failed.
Main version is Older

I have a 1.33.0010 Magic bought in India

Please help I am so eager to have this rooted and get all google features.

Thanks for the good work guys though. You have been great

you have the same spl as mine..i can't flash it too..
i believe you must be have the same built number with mine..check it at setting-about phone, scroll down until build number, mine said 2.53.707.2

DebauchedSloth

Jan 27, 2008
Not quite..

I've followed the instructions and managed to get root, but when I try to apply any other ROM (trying to get one of the cyanogen ROMs) - either A or B using the initial instructions or the "daredevil" instructions, I am stuck at the Vodafone screen.

If I stick with the supplied ROM, I get root, but I am unable to exit setup - everything goes perfectly until I try to exit it, at which point it crashes.

If I skip setup, everything basically works (and I have root) but I get this trying to sync contacts:

android.database.sqlite.SQLiteException: no such function: TRANSFORM_NAME_TO_PATTERN: , while compiling: INSERT INTO people ('_id', '_sync_account', '_sync_id', '_sync_time', '_sync_version', '_sync_local_id', '_sync_dirty', '_sync_mark', 'name', 'firstName', 'lastName', 'numIndicator', 'notes', 'times_contacted', 'last_time_contacted', 'starred', 'primary_phone', 'primary_organization', 'primary_email', 'photo_version', 'custom_ringtone', 'send_to_voicemail', 'phonetic_name', 'photo', 'cn_name_pattern', 'tw_name_pattern', 'enNameCandidate', 'cnNameCandidate', 'twNameCandidate', 'extra_group', 'last_update_time') VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, COALESCE(?, 0), ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, COALESCE(?, 0), ?, COALESCE(?, 0), ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, COALESCE(?, 0), ?);

mpmilestogo

Aug 9, 2009
Union City California
Airtel India Magic with perfect SPL different build number

you have the same spl as mine..i can't flash it too..
i believe you must be have the same built number with mine..check it at setting-about phone, scroll down until build number, mine said 2.53.707.2

I'm going to give the instructions a try. I purchased a HTC Airtel Magic in Chennai India about 3 weeks ago not knowing about the issues with the applications. It has a build number of 2.16.720.2. Anyone tried flashing with this build number by any chance and had success? Or failure? Or something inbetween?

addiecool

May 1, 2008
New Delhi
I'm going to give the instructions a try. I purchased a HTC Airtel Magic in Chennai India about 3 weeks ago not knowing about the issues with the applications. It has a build number of 2.16.720.2. Anyone tried flashing with this build number by any chance and had success? Or failure? Or something inbetween?

I got a failed error

Main version is older
Update failed

I have your same build

acidburn89

Mar 6, 2009
I have an Indian HTC Magic with HBOOT-1.33.00010 and build number 2.16.720.2. Is there any way I can root my Magic and flash it with a new ROM? Any other Indian Magic users with the same build reporting success? I would've tried following the instructions, but the problem is in creating the Gold Card. My Magic doesn't come pre-installed with Marketplace. Or any other Google app for that matter. Can somebody please help me out here?

Last edited:

andru47

Nov 20, 2007
Orlando
Just to confirm what OS is compatible with this tutorial? Would Windows 7 work or vista? Or do I need win xp? Linux?

DroidRC1

May 25, 2009
Fort Wayne, Indiana
THANK YOU To ALL THAT WORKED HARD TO MAKE THIS PHONE ROOT!!...now do i need 2 sdcards and if so how much space do they need to be and will they have to be class 6 card?

victortung

Sep 19, 2008
After a lot of trial and error we finally did it! Many thanks to Jrbourque for being a tester with balls (he could have bricked his phone) :) and Haykuro for all the tips and tricks :p. Please give them credit where credit is due ;)
[/CODE]
in Haykuro step, there is an file called givemeroot zip
Do we have to run this too?

Jul 12, 2009
Delhi
I too got :
"Main version is older
Update failed "

Mine is also HBOOT-1.33.00010 and build number 2.16.720.2.
Purchased HTC Magic from India.

It is so disappointing to miss it, when it was so close :(

Jul 12, 2009
Delhi
I too got :
"Main version is older
Update failed "

Mine is also HBOOT-1.33.00010 and build number 2.16.720.2.
Purchased HTC Magic from India.

It is so disappointing to miss it, when it was so close :(

smartwild

Oct 11, 2007
even mine is HBOOT-1.33.00010 and build number 2.16.720.2. just when I thought the wait is over, damn:(:eek::confused:

victortung

Sep 19, 2008
After I got the recovery image onto it.
Can I download the magic rom from HTC and upload into it?
And I am going to lose the Root access again?

Last edited:

juanavila

Aug 5, 2009
Are you guys following the instructions step by step? Make sure you created the Gold Card as well. It seems that some people are missing this portion.

htciscrap

Aug 8, 2009
We will need to search a ROM with an higher version that doesn't have a perfected SPL... :(

Will it work if I use SAPPIMG_Sapphire_HTC_Asia_WWE_2.53.707.2_SEA_release_signed.zip but with one change: replace the hboot.img with hboot.img from sappimg.zip mentioned in the first post of this thread?

K

korndub

can someone post the "32B RAv1.2.0G recovery" somewhere other than rapidshare pretty please???

wesgarner

May 10, 2007
Birmingham, AL
Bricked =/

Ok so steps that worked:
Goldcard, load the Vodafone image
Booted perfectly, did Haykuro's method for adb flash_image to flash the recovery -- got an out of memory error, so I reboot and tried again - worked that time
Tried to reboot into recovery, and it would never boot -- eek
Then used the fastboot boot recovery method - worked great, it updated the SPL, good so far
Tried rebooting into HBOOT/Fastboot and nothing, booted to the Vodafone splash
...and it's dead now, no spl recovery or regular boot

sigh...