Awkward freezes

Search This thread

rogeriorp

Dec 11, 2013
I found those sudden reboots happening on my device, XT1033 with ART unrooted running the single sim firmware. Everything was fine for a long time, but the last weeks its been happening. It simply freezes, no matter doing what going into a point that when I press the power/lock, the screen won't even turn itself back on, forcing myself to force-reboot in order to work again. I also notice that when it happens, the device has a downfall in the battery graph even tho not much was consumed and even losing a couple minutes on the screentime. I will embed a photo.

Maybe switching back to Dalvik fixes it? Or something else is the issue? I got no "weird" apps installed. Suggestions?

denzel09

Jun 28, 2009
Teheran
Before to think if it's a battery problem you have tried to switch to dalvik and see what happens on long time?

fabus

Nov 12, 2013
Wroclaw
Not exactly, mainly because it never happened before. I am using ART since it updated to KK, started recently only.

Can you grab logcat log? Maybe it can say something when it happens.
The best way to do this is by Eclipse -> CatLog viewer. You won`t loose log messages when device will be rebooted.

Did you try wiping cache / dalvik ? System will rebuild everything so you won`t loose your data and it can fix your problem.

Cheers,

Reactions: rogeriorp

rogeriorp

Dec 11, 2013
The best way to do this is by Eclipse -> CatLog viewer. You won`t loose log messages when device will be rebooted.

Did you try wiping cache / dalvik ? System will rebuild everything so you won`t loose your data and it can fix your problem.

Cheers,

I did only wipe cache partition before, never the dalvik. I might give it a try the next time it happens.

Also, to catch a logcat requires root? If so I can't grab one.

rogeriorp

Dec 11, 2013
Alright, got the guidances. Thank you both for the help, will leave some feedback later on.

rogeriorp

Dec 11, 2013
An update: it happened twice in a row just now. Switched back to Dalvik just in case. Will keep this one post updated to not spam.

joeyhdownsouth

Apr 1, 2009
Creole State
I found those sudden reboots happening on my device, XT1033 with ART unrooted running the single sim firmware. Everything was fine for a long time, but the last weeks its been happening. It simply freezes, no matter doing what going into a point that when I press the power/lock, the screen won't even turn itself back on, forcing myself to force-reboot in order to work again. I also notice that when it happens, the device has a downfall in the battery graph even tho not much was consumed and even losing a couple minutes on the screentime. I will embed a photo.

Maybe switching back to Dalvik fixes it? Or something else is the issue? I got no "weird" apps installed. Suggestions?

I just unlocked, rooted, flashed recovery and custom ROM on a refurb unit. I had kinda the same issue with this phone out the box stock. Mine will work perfect as long as its plugged in to either PC or wall charger. Once unplugged, pushing power to wake causes screen to shutoff after a few seconds or freeze, then reboot. Doesn't seem to be software related, as a clean install of pacman did nothing different. Touchscreen gets very unresponsive, also causing reboots.

sent from my Gs3

fabus

Nov 12, 2013
Wroclaw
An update: it happened twice in a row just now. Switched back to Dalvik just in case. Will keep this one post updated to not spam.

- LogCat requires root to see system messages, otherwise you will see only high layer user messages.

- I tryied ART and didn`t have such issue, just came back to Dalvik because I noticed that ART uses more cache (which impacts overall virtual SD capacity) and didn`t see any improvement in performance.
@joeyhdownsouth - could you give us logcat / dmesg log on some share? It seems you have some issues while charging. It can be causes either by wrong charger (too high/low current, but moto should control it) or maybe some app causes this when you unplugs usb cable.
Anyway - without log we cannot say anything.

Cheers,

rogeriorp

Dec 11, 2013
I have this phone for 4 months already, its weird it happens out of no where tbh. Switched back to Dalvik yesterday and no issue yet, switching runtimes compile them all over again right?

joeyhdownsouth

Apr 1, 2009
Creole State
- LogCat requires root to see system messages, otherwise you will see only high layer user messages.

- I tryied ART and didn`t have such issue, just came back to Dalvik because I noticed that ART uses more cache (which impacts overall virtual SD capacity) and didn`t see any improvement in performance.

@joeyhdownsouth - could you give us logcat / dmesg log on some share? It seems you have some issues while charging. It can be causes either by wrong charger (too high/low current, but moto should control it) or maybe some app causes this when you unplugs usb cable.
Anyway - without log we cannot say anything.

Cheers,

Waiting on Motorola charger to come in, then if no change, I'll pull a logcat.

sent from my Gs3

Jocker111

Mar 17, 2014
I also experienced the last 3 days complete freezes. No idea what was going on...
Unfortunately I couldn't pull any log messages from the phone by that time. Half an hour later it just responded normally... Didn't see if it rebooted in between or what exactly happened

rogeriorp

Dec 11, 2013
Just a heads up: going back to Dalvik got me rid off those freezes. Something on ART was messed up.

fabus

Nov 12, 2013
Wroclaw
I never even checked to see which one it was using when I first got it.

sent from my Gs3

By deault it is Dalvik. If you have new phone so it will be Dalvik.

Did you said two posts before that you were using some 3rd party charger (not Motorola cable)?

Funny, but yesterday I had similar issues with freezes and random reboots. I was using some cable taken from Friend (not Motorola) and weird things started to happening:
- It was indicated on a screen that phone is charging (probably discovered usb cable plugged it), but it was discharging faster and started rebooting (because it reached below 1% battery state) and after some reboots battery was so discharged that phone couldn`t come up.
This usb cable was attached all the time to my phone and a computer.

- Next I connected phone to my reglar charger for night (from Zte Tablet, but really good and charges fast, never had issues with it) and it was fully charged.
On the morning I played music for 15 minutes by loudspeaker and then put phone into my pocket for 10 minutes (walk to take a bus).
When I took my phone back into my hand battery was dropped to 1%! (from over 95% to 1% in 10 minutes), but phone didn`t shut down.
This 1% remain for couple of hours (something like 2-3) without shutting phone down.

I took another charger and connected to it again - phone was charged to 100% in less than 30 min (usually takes up to 3hrs) and now works like before (no huge and weird battery drain).

Btw. I`m on faux kernel 007m.

Weird... looks like moto g doesn't like be connected to a PC by other cable than Motorola :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not exactly, mainly because it never happened before. I am using ART since it updated to KK, started recently only.

Cheers,
    I did only wipe cache partition before, never the dalvik. I might give it a try the next time it happens.

Also, to catch a logcat requires root? If so I can't grab one.

Try catlog, i don't remember if need root honestly ;)