Problems with 32GB SD Card (SanDisk)

Search This thread

N345H

Oct 19, 2013
Manchester
plus.google.com
Hi all,

I have a 32GB SD Card (SanDisk) in my Z1. I am using Media Go to transfer my music from my PC to my SD Card on my Z1.
The problem is that only 'some' of my music is transferred across correctly and other albums/tracks play as if they have been encrypted in some sort of way. The music I am transferring is playing correctly on my PC, it is only when I transfer it that it becomes a problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :confused:

*Just to add, I have no problem transferring the same music across to my 8GB card. I have two brand new 32GB cards and have the same problem of only being able to transfer about half the music, the rest is unrecognisable.*

Last edited:

akusokuzan

Dec 2, 2009
Maybe you can try formatting the 32GB SD card and copying all the music onto there again to see if it helps

N345H

Oct 19, 2013
Manchester
plus.google.com
Maybe you can try formatting the 32GB SD card and copying all the music onto there again to see if it helps

Re formatted (exFAT) both the 32GB cards I have and still the problem remains that some data/music is not getting transferred. I have just tested a 16GB card (same make and specs as one of the 32GB cards) from my tablet and this works and a 32GB card that didn't work in my Z1 works in my Xperia tablet Z so it seems my Z1 is having a problem with SD cards over 16GB for some reason I don't know :confused:

raginginferno

Apr 24, 2011
Try Fat32? I find it gives me the least amount of problems. I have a sandisk 64gb in my Z1 and it works just fine. Windows won't format in fat32 natively for such a large size so maybe try the format sd option in android. I believe it does fat32 automatically.

xasbo

Feb 10, 2012
Try Fat32? I find it gives me the least amount of problems. I have a sandisk 64gb in my Z1 and it works just fine. Windows won't format in fat32 natively for such a large size so maybe try the format sd option in android. I believe it does fat32 automatically.

Seconded. Absolutely zero problems with my 64GB Sandisk card formatted as FAT32. Always format SD cards on your phone.

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth

Agree, I will suggest to try format in FAT32 because all the SDHC 32GB microSD are meant to use FAT32 natively so I don't know why you formatted a 32GB card in exFAT.

I find it gives me the least amount of problems. I have a sandisk 64gb in my Z1 and it works just fine. Windows won't format in fat32 natively for such a large size so maybe try the format sd option in android. I believe it does fat32 automatically.

Windows will not because you have to use a specified application to format 64GB SDXC natively in exFAT to FAT32.

Z1 support exFAT and will not format in FAT32.

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Always format SD cards on your phone.

Absolutely not true. All the High-End devices not support all the formats like exFAT so is recommended to format them via specific application on PC and then insert the card to device. BTW, the phone will format even fake cards without problems, PC will not and you can check them as well.

Last edited:

xasbo

Feb 10, 2012
Absolutely not true. All the High-End devices not support all the formats like extFAT so is recommended to format them via specific application on PC and then insert the card to device. BTW, the phone will format even fake cards without problems, PC will not and you can check them as well.

If you want an SD card to work on a specific phone, why wouldn't you format it on that phone?

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
If you want an SD card to work on a specific phone, why wouldn't you format it on that phone?

Is that specific phone using a special unknown partition system for the card? I don't think so. The phones are this days build with market standards including SDHC and SDXC compatibility. SDHC natively use FAT32, SDXC natively use exFAT. Not all phones support SDXC so the card have to be formatted in FAT32 to make it functional and the only way is to use specific application on PC. Formatting the SD on PC also is more efficient than OS of the phones and the main reason is that OS of any phone can't verified a faulty or fake SD card so you can losing data without even know why.

Last edited:

xasbo

Feb 10, 2012
Is that specific phone using a special unknown partition system for the card? I don't think so. The phones are this days build with market standards including SDHC and SDXC compatibility. SDHC natively use FAT32, SDXC natively use exFAT. Not all phones support SDXC so the card have to be formatted in FAT32 to make it functional and the only way is to use specific application on PC. Formatting the SD on PC also is more efficient than OS of the phones and the main reason is that OS of any phone can't verified a faulty or fake SD card so you can losing data without even know why.

Sorry man, you are usually on point, but with this you are talking nonsense.

I have never seen or heard of an Android phone which didn't use FAT32 or exFAT, nor one that made arbitrary partions. Further, if the phone doesn't support exFAT, obviously it won't format the card to use the exFAT file system. The bit about a PC being more efficient is just total nonsense. I have formatted several different size/brand SD cards on this phone and others without having issues using them in the phone or a PC or other Android device, even. If you can satisfactorily back up anything you've said, I'll change my mind.

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
Sorry man, you are usually on point, but with this you are talking nonsense.

Happen sometimes, no body is perfect. :D

I have never seen or heard of an Android phone which didn't use FAT32 or exFAT, nor one that made arbitrary partions.

I make you and example, I got HTC HD2 with latest Android ICS ported from NEXUS, it not support and it not recognize a 64GB SDXC in exFAT, the only way to make working that card on HD2 is to format it in FAT32 on PC.

Further, if the phone doesn't support exFAT, obviously it won't format the card to use the exFAT file system.

Right, but a phone which support exFAT and FAT32 as well will not format the exFAT card to FAT32 end even if he dose the card have huge risk to be compromise. Speaking from experience.

The bit about a PC being more efficient is just total nonsense. I have formatted several different size/brand SD cards on this phone and others without having issues using them in the phone or a PC or other Android device, even. If you can satisfactorily back up anything you've said, I'll change my mind.

I never said you CAN'T format the card on the phone. It will work anyway but on PC the formatting will be more deeply efficient because you using specified application to do so. On High-End phones the formatting can be good too but you can't say is well done like on PC.

All the Sl..ts making Blo..bs, but there is always someone who do it much better! Am I wrong? :D:laugh:;)

FAT_C

Aug 25, 2011
let's go back to the topic.I have the same problem on my Z1 as well.
will this related to a slow (class 4) speed sd card?

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
let's go back to the topic.I have the same problem on my Z1 as well.
will this related to a slow (class 4) speed sd card?

Absolutely not, the class of the card is not an issue at all. If you have a SDHC have to be in FAT32, check it, just in case. The partition can be corrupted then will be recommended to format the card how you like.

But if your problem is the same as OP mentioned with the same application, to me the app is the main problem. Try to move the files with different application or use different media player to see if the issue still there.

Last edited:

N345H

Oct 19, 2013
Manchester
plus.google.com
I have put the 32GB cardin my Tablet Z and it's working without error but I can still not get anything over 16GB running on my Z1
Seems a bit strange to me unless it's a random 4.3 problem though I haven't heard any wide spread issues

Sent from my SGP321 using Tapatalk

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
I have put the 32GB cardin my Tablet Z and it's working without error but I can still not get anything over 16GB running on my Z1
Seems a bit strange to me unless it's a random 4.3 problem though I haven't heard any wide spread issues

Yes, seems a bit strange and I will suggest to check the card on PC with h2testw, just in case. If everything is ok with the card then is your phone and probably Android it self, in this scenario I will consider to flash different .290 FW.

Attachments

• h2testw.rar
    180.3 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: N345H

olokos

Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2011
Warsaw
I'm using 32GB SanDisk extreme uhs1 and never had a single issue. (well, once cos it was from a faulty batch, but your card doesn't seem to have any of my issues before replacement)
Don't use media go. I think that that's what ruins your music by encoding it like iTunes which z1 doesn't like.

Wysłane z mojego C6903 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Reactions: N345H

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yes, seems a bit strange and I will suggest to check the card on PC with h2testw, just in case. If everything is ok with the card then is your phone and probably Android it self, in this scenario I will consider to flash different .290 FW.
    I'm using 32GB SanDisk extreme uhs1 and never had a single issue. (well, once cos it was from a faulty batch, but your card doesn't seem to have any of my issues before replacement)
    Don't use media go. I think that that's what ruins your music by encoding it like iTunes which z1 doesn't like.

Wysłane z mojego C6903 przy użyciu Tapatalka