Manual Nooter Sort of Works on 1.4.1

Search This thread

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
I'm looking a bit more at rooting via manual nooter on OS 1.4.1.

As of now, the Android Market is not working

In my hands, the BN shop is also not working. Books cannot be downloaded. (The reader does work, though, so you can shop and then download to your PC, then push the files in manually if you like.)

Together, those two elements not working argue against rooting 1.4.1 for anything other than study and development, I think.

- 1.4.1 installs on a device which had already been rooted (this device is rooted but not overclocked.)

- boot from a manual nooter 4-5-18 disks works

- after applying MN 4.5.18 and the APK enabler, the device booted. Root was retained and SU works fine (I was able to use adb wireless)

- install via ADB works

Other things to be aware of:

- this is not a Gingerbread release for the NC.

- the home button behavior is changed a LOT. Home Catcher for the Nook Tablet will also work here, though.

- the device automagically snarfs Google contacts if it's registered to a gmail address, it seems. There is no warning on that. I think that behavior is a Big Effing Problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: timmyjoe42

MentalDragon

Dec 1, 2010
Monroe, LA
About to try hopefully it works. I know I couldnt install update on 1.3 with CWM going back to complete stock and then update and then MN.

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
Yes, if CWR is written to your boot, you cannot install BN updates.

It might be possible to use a flashable 1.3 installer to write only /boot, reboot, then update to 1.4.1. I know there is a flashable 1.3, but I do not know where it lives.

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
"It would be if some one conforms about Market"

Yeah, wouldn't it?

I'm figuring from the lack of screaming it's probably working.

MentalDragon

Dec 1, 2010
Monroe, LA
Market is up. Some apps still missing. Having a bit of problem with Zeam launcher. Nook launcher is taking control.

Straight from my ICS i897 Sonic Screwdriver!!!!!

Reactions: smarcin

nookerrooter

Dec 29, 2010
So from a rooted 1.3.1 you:

Use CWM to install a vanilla 1.3 ROM, then update to 1.4.1 via B&N download, then root using only 4.5.18? I seem to remember to root 1.3.1 you needed to root with 4.5.16 and then 4.5.18.

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
I have been able to use 4-5-18 without any problems on both 1.2 and 1.3.

You may not even need to install the vanilla ROM - you may well be able to install to a rooted device, so long as you have not meddled with /boot, either by installing a CWR boot internally or by overclocking.

My fast experiment this morning involved updating a rooted 1.3, then rooting that resulting 1.4.1.

tsukisan

Jul 17, 2009
Santa Clara, CA
Anyone check to see if it will still boot from an SD card, just want to confirm before update, but because it is still rootable I can always downgrade.

Edit: I am in the process of updating as I type this, I will post the results in case anyone else needs them.

Last edited:

wtmann

Dec 27, 2009
Belluno
Market is up. Some apps still missing. Having a bit of problem with Zeam launcher. Nook launcher is taking control.

In my case the Market runs but it's totally useless: I can't see my apps, it doesn't find most of what I want to install and when it does I can't install anything (it just goes back to the Apps menu). So it totally sucks since the B&N market is really lame!

magicland

Jul 9, 2009
So from a rooted 1.3.1 you:

Use CWM to install a vanilla 1.3 ROM, then update to 1.4.1 via B&N download, then root using only 4.5.18? I seem to remember to root 1.3.1 you needed to root with 4.5.16 and then 4.5.18.

For whatever reason, many Nook Colors that come stock with 1.3 installed just bootloop if rooted with 4.6.16, even if rooted first with 4.5.18. I can confirm this with a new NC purchased for my girlfriend's mom. Runs OK if just rooted with 4.5.18, except for it having the ancient market. Haven't been able to update the market yet, though gmail will update itself.

Updated to 1.4.1 (had to return to stock 1.3 to install the update, even without CWM flashed), using homecatcher to overcome the new "n" button "feature", but market is hit and miss. Was able to download and install Astro, but Titanium Backup doesn't want to download and install. I'll try sideloading it later.

RSchmauk

Mar 30, 2008
What's the new n button feature? Is it possible to make a flashable update, like with 1.2 and 1.3?

magicland

Jul 9, 2009
What's the new n button feature? Is it possible to make a flashable update, like with 1.2 and 1.3?

If you press it once, it brings up the B&N "dock" that used to be at the bottom of the screen. If you press it twice, it brings up the B&N launcher.

Correction, I thought I was able to download Astro from market, but apparently I didn't. Now I've got no way to sideload apps, which makes this pretty useless...

c0ldburn3r

Nov 2, 2010
Wet Side of Washington
If you press it once, it brings up the B&N "dock" that used to be at the bottom of the screen. If you press it twice, it brings up the B&N launcher.

Correction, I thought I was able to download Astro from market, but apparently I didn't. Now I've got no way to sideload apps, which makes this pretty useless...

ADB commands are your friend! :p Pretty much as long as you can enable ADB you can sideload with zero issues.

magicland

Jul 9, 2009
ADB commands are your friend! :p Pretty much as long as you can enable ADB you can sideload with zero issues.

I realize this, but this nook is a gift for my girlfriend's mom, who lives out of state, and I know there's no way she's going to sideload everything using ADB... I need to get her a working market, even if I've got to go back to 1.3 and disable the update.

badgermac

Feb 1, 2009
Ended up using 4.5.18 on my stock 1.3 NC. ADB Sideloaded in the Kindle app and a couple others and used the Nook App Manager to drop icons out on the main stock launcher page. I was really looking to add teh Kindle app so I could read all my purchased books on a single device, so I'm quite content. I'd like to see better market, etc but it's not a dealbreaker for me.

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
Just in case someone follows this thread, rooted 1.4.1 is working well now. manualnooter-5-12-18.zip does it for ya.

Market works. You can add non-B&N apps to the B&N app and home screens using Nook Color App Manager. Putting the Kindle app on there is no problem. Netflix, HBO GO and Max GO work. Hulu Plus refuses to run on the device. B&N subscriptions download and update the dock. B&N enhanced content (e.g. Wired magazine) work fine.

If non-techie friends and family want an enhanced B&N Nook Walled Garden experience, this will do it!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking a bit more at rooting via manual nooter on OS 1.4.1.

As of now, the Android Market is not working

In my hands, the BN shop is also not working. Books cannot be downloaded. (The reader does work, though, so you can shop and then download to your PC, then push the files in manually if you like.)

Together, those two elements not working argue against rooting 1.4.1 for anything other than study and development, I think.

- 1.4.1 installs on a device which had already been rooted (this device is rooted but not overclocked.)

- boot from a manual nooter 4-5-18 disks works

- after applying MN 4.5.18 and the APK enabler, the device booted. Root was retained and SU works fine (I was able to use adb wireless)

- install via ADB works

Other things to be aware of:

- this is not a Gingerbread release for the NC.

- the home button behavior is changed a LOT. Home Catcher for the Nook Tablet will also work here, though.

- the device automagically snarfs Google contacts if it's registered to a gmail address, it seems. There is no warning on that. I think that behavior is a Big Effing Problem.

Anyone check to see if it will still boot from an SD card, just want to confirm before update, but because it is still rootable I can always downgrade.

Others have tested and confirmed, but that's not something they can change on this device with a software update anyway
    The manualnooter setup is still based on the stock kernel, so far as I know, so you won't get the overclocked features of CM just yet.

Performance seems decent, but my perspective has been ruined since playing with the Nook Tablet I bought for my wife. That device is definitely smoother.

I haven't had any in-app performance, problems, but after the initial root, I've had a few hangups as the device seems to be syncing for extended periods. I've had the same thing after burning a new ROM to my phone. (Must be the NSA again!) 12 hours later, it was fine. I just finished resetting to 1.3 and doing the entire process, and it's taken 10 minutes for book covers to appear again. The sync indicator is still on. Must. Avoid. Playing. at least until it's done.

Netflix, HBO and Max GO all play. They do look a bit pixelated, but appeared the same on CM on my device. They are definitely watchable. Haven't tried YouTube yet.

I haven't tried many games yet. I'll update as I spend more time with it.

No change to dual-booting with CM7.1 on SD.
    I ported it over for you, just flash the file “Statusbar_mod” from CWM. Since it changes a system framework file, it will take about 5 minutes to start back up after flashing. Since you will loss a way to select the “Shop” and “Library” buttons, just install “AnyCut” or “BetterCut” to create a shortcut for them. To return to stock, just flash “Statusbar_stock” from CWM.