[GUIDE]Upgrade TF300t to Jellybean 4.1 or 4.2, root, recovery & remove bloatware

Search This thread

wha2do

Mar 4, 2012
New Orleans
Hoping this is still monitored! My TF300t is unlocked, rooted, TWRP v2.5.0.0 installed and ran nvflash backups when I was on v9.4.3.17. After a year of doing fine,
I lost my bootloader menu and always start in APX mode. I've managed to update to v9.4.3.30 manually but thinking I still have the bootloader flashed during the
nvflash process (I've always run US software per "About tablet", but it still shows the WW SKU v9.4.3.30 bootloader...always showed after doing the nvflash backups).

Hopefully still reading, lol! Without fastboot access, I've tried most everything to get the bootloader menu back - figure a stock v9.4.3.30 bootloader might
fix it. No matter what, the bootloader doesn't flash or stick - maybe rebooting because to get into ICS requires rebooting using wheelie/nvflash so it "prevents" the flash?

I'm wondering if trying the original method with the dlpkgfile and command file in post #2 would still work in updating my bootloader, update me to first JB version with
the JB bootloader, and get me booting normally? At which point I can apply the newer updates & re-root...

Main concern (if I should try this) is the dlpkgfile is smaller than the OTA update. Is it a subset or the complete v10.4.2.9 JB update?

And in case wondering, I have already tried manually updating using US_epad-user-10.4.2.9.zip but it freezes on final boot up. Appears the bootloader is still
the old ICS one and didn't update to JB v10.4.2.9... Thanks for any insights on using the original process or other ideas!

labandi

Mar 29, 2014
twrp 2.7?

Hi Everyone,
Im new to xda forums. I have a tf300t with a broken digitizer and i am trying to find a solution. Root worked but I was just wondering what twrp does. I understand that its a recovery solution but must I install it, too? Will it replace factory recovery options? If yes, I read that only twrp 2.7 has OTG mouse support. Is there any sense for me to install the 2.5 version (which does NOT support OTG mouse)? I cannot find a link anywhere for twrp 2.7 for tf300t. My android is 4.1.
Thanks in advance

readmanr

Sep 15, 2013
Hi Everyone,
Im new to xda forums. I have a tf300t with a broken digitizer and i am trying to find a solution. Root worked but I was just wondering what twrp does. I understand that its a recovery solution but must I install it, too? Will it replace factory recovery options? If yes, I read that only twrp 2.7 has OTG mouse support. Is there any sense for me to install the 2.5 version (which does NOT support OTG mouse)? I cannot find a link anywhere for twrp 2.7 for tf300t. My android is 4.1.
Thanks in advance

Hello,

Not sure how you rooted without already installing a recovery, unless you used an exploit to root.
If you used an exploit to root, there is a good chance the device still has a locked bootloader.

Here is the thread with TWRP 2.7.0.1
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2691886
Download links in seconds post, Changelog is in the third.

but it is for those with the latest bootloader.
i.e. XX_epad-10.6.1.27-5-20130902 or something similar.
Mine says "WW_epad-10.6.1.27-5-20130902" A03.

You can check if your unlocked because if you are when you first boot, and get the acer screen, in the top left corner it will say...
"Device is UnLocked"

So before you can install a custom recovery you must first upgrade to the latest OTA, and get the latest bootloader installed.
Once you are on Android 4.2.1, with the build 10.6.1.27-5-20130902 you are then on the current latest 4.2 bootloader.

From there you can then flash the recovery with fastboot with the command...
fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash recovery recovery.img

Once done, you will then have the recovery version 2.7.0.1, with the latest bootloader, and your device will still boot into your stock rooted ROM.

Hope the above helps.

labandi

Mar 29, 2014
Hello,

Not sure how you rooted without already installing a recovery, unless you used an exploit to root.
If you used an exploit to root, there is a good chance the device still has a locked bootloader.

Here is the thread with TWRP 2.7.0.1
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2691886
Download links in seconds post, Changelog is in the third.

but it is for those with the latest bootloader.
i.e. XX_epad-10.6.1.27-5-20130902 or something similar.
Mine says "WW_epad-10.6.1.27-5-20130902" A03.

You can check if your unlocked because if you are when you first boot, and get the acer screen, in the top left corner it will say...
"Device is UnLocked"

So before you can install a custom recovery you must first upgrade to the latest OTA, and get the latest bootloader installed.
Once you are on Android 4.2.1, with the build 10.6.1.27-5-20130902 you are then on the current latest 4.2 bootloader.

From there you can then flash the recovery with fastboot with the command...
fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash recovery recovery.img

Once done, you will then have the recovery version 2.7.0.1, with the latest bootloader, and your device will still boot into your stock rooted ROM.

Hope the above helps.

Thanks for the info and link. I rooted stock 4.1 with motochopper. I suppose that means that the bootloader is still locked. My build is 10.4.something.

readmanr

Sep 15, 2013
Thanks for the info and link. I rooted stock 4.1 with motochopper. I suppose that means that the bootloader is still locked. My build is 10.4.something.

Yep, so you won't be able to flash any recovery until you unlock your boot-loader.

Also, after you unlock, be careful what recovery you flash, as you should try upgrade to android 4.2.1 and get the latest boot-loader.

Be careful also unlocking, as Asus have different versions of the unlock apk depending on what boot-loader you have on your TF300T also.

emoti0n

Oct 10, 2012
Will this still work?

Dear Asus Transformer TF300T users,

Asus released the 4.2 Jellybean update. Since there are some people with fastboot problems or don't know how to install recovery or root, here is a guide which will let you:
- Install recovery and give you root acces on latest 4.2 update
- [Optional] Remove bloatware from your tablet

== Part 1 - Preparation ==
Before we start with this guide I can tell you guys it will work for:
- All 4.1 firmwares
- All 4.2 firmwares

So what do you need to do as a preparation of rooting and installing recovery:
1. Upgrade your tablet to the desired firmware: 4.1 or 4.2
2. Be sure the correct drivers for your tablet are installed!!
3. Download the updated rooting toolkit: Updated Motochopper rooting toolkit
4. Download TWRP for your firmware version:

5. Rename the downloaded TWRP blob file to twrp.blob and copy it to the root of your sdcard
5. Extract the rooting toolkit to a place you like.

== Part 2 - Rooting ==
1. Open up the folder where you placed the rooting toolkit.
2. Open the run file and follow the instructions
After installation the tablet should reboot and you should be rooted.

== Part 3 - Latest TWRP recovery ==
Be sure you have twrp.blob on your removable sdcard or it won't work!

1. Open up CMD in the folder were you have your adb files (Shift + Right Mouse Click => Open CMD here) and use the following commands to install TWRP:

adb shell
su
dd if=/Removable/MicroSD/twrp.blob of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4​

2. After this you need to reboot your tablet to let it install the recovery

I purchased this tablet about 2 months ago from a friend, so I wasn't around for all the Android updates. However, I seen that the last update this tablet received was back in Sept 2013, a little over a year from when this was originally posted. The tablet I have is currently on Android 4.2.1 with a build number of V10.6.1.27.5. Will this method still work for this tablet? If not, could someone point me in the direction of a method that will work. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

gsuemnic

Jun 30, 2014
Newbie - No OTA update from 4.1.1 to 4.2

Newbie here.

I just purchased an Asus Transformer TF300 TL. It is running Andriod version 4.1.1.
When I check for updates the device is ‘up to date’.

I've seen postings on the web that an upgrade to Andriod 4.2 was available in 3/2013 for the TF300TL

I called Asus. Asus support stated since my serial # begins with a 'C' (2012) I can't get an OTA update to 4.2. Since that response didn’t make sense, I opened a support ticket and was told to download
ASUS Transformer Pad TF300TL Firmware: V10.4.3.10.7 Only for US SKU (Android 4.1)

I was provided the link to that page.
My questions

1) Is this Android 4.2
2) Once I download the firmware above, how do I install it on the TF 300. Note: I have no desire to ‘root’ the device’ !
3) Will this work OK or should I leave well enough alone. I don’t want a ‘bricked’ tablet and still want the AT&T 3G/4G to work

Thanks.

I purchased this tablet about 2 months ago from a friend, so I wasn't around for all the Android updates. However, I seen that the last update this tablet received was back in Sept 2013, a little over a year from when this was originally posted. The tablet I have is currently on Android 4.2.1 with a build number of V10.6.1.27.5. Will this method still work for this tablet? If not, could someone point me in the direction of a method that will work. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hello I too have this tablet and I can confirm that the latest version of WW is the 10.6.1.27.5 September 2, 2013, remember to use TWRP 2.5.0.0 per 4.2.1!!

Last edited:

Supreme_One

Apr 21, 2013
I receive this error /system/bin/sh: su: not found

Also with rooting I've received an failure message

What can I do right now?

homers1

Sep 30, 2009
Situation - My tf300t won't boot into anything but APX directly. Buttons and reset hole don't give me any difference.

Background - hosed my tf300t with OTA JB update via removable SD card. couldn't boot into anything except APX. Reset with NVFlash and my backup files. Boot into fastboot and follow erase sequence. Boot back into APX and flashed the unpacked blobs from 9.4.3.30 update using stock recovery from blobs. Tablet starts after a long AUSU loading spin. Used 1-click tool to root (it reboots into APX mode and I have to use --go to get it to boot to OS while rebooting for 1-click). Rooted OK and saved with Voodoo. Used ES File Explorer to move the dlpkgfile and command files into the right cache and cache/command folders. On reboot, it goes into APX. I --go back to OS. Command file is gone, but the system does not attempt to update.

Question: Any ideas on restoring a properly functioning tablet so that I can get to recovery and start updating and customizing?

TIA :)

homers1

Sep 30, 2009
Is there a way, using NVFlash to reflash the original files and then jump right to some new update, no matter which android version? Or, do I have to reflash with the same version as I had to build the backup files with NVFlash in the first place? Sorry if this is off topic. Feel free to move.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Asus released the 4.2 Jellybean update. Since there are some people with fastboot problems or don't know how to install recovery or root, here is a guide which will let you:
    - Install recovery and give you root acces on latest 4.2 update

== Part 1 - Preparation ==
    Before we start with this guide I can tell you guys it will work for:
    - All 4.1 firmwares
    - All 4.2 firmwares

So what do you need to do as a preparation of rooting and installing recovery:
    1. Upgrade your tablet to the desired firmware: 4.1 or 4.2
    2. Be sure the correct drivers for your tablet are installed!!
    3. Download the updated rooting toolkit: Updated Motochopper rooting toolkit
    4. Download TWRP for your firmware version:

5. Rename the downloaded TWRP blob file to twrp.blob and copy it to the root of your sdcard
    5. Extract the rooting toolkit to a place you like.

== Part 2 - Rooting ==
    1. Open up the folder where you placed the rooting toolkit.
    2. Open the run file and follow the instructions
    After installation the tablet should reboot and you should be rooted.

== Part 3 - Latest TWRP recovery ==
    Be sure you have twrp.blob on your removable sdcard or it won't work!

1. Open up CMD in the folder were you have your adb files (Shift + Right Mouse Click => Open CMD here) and use the following commands to install TWRP:

adb shell
    su
    dd if=/Removable/MicroSD/twrp.blob of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4​

2. After this you need to reboot your tablet to let it install the recovery
    MOD EDIT: This Method ONLY applies to JB 4.1. Do Not Use on JB 4.2

Asus released the Jellybean update in the United States. Here is a guide which will let you:
    - Prepare your tablet for the Jellybean update
    - Update your tablet to Jellybean software
    - Install recovery and give you root acces
    - [Optional] Speed up your tablet using tweaks

== Part 1 - Prepare the tablet ==
    First we need to install the 9.4.3.30 US update to be able to upgrade to the Jellybean software, then we will do the actual upgrade to Jellybean.

1) Download the US 9.4.4.3.30 update: Asus support site
    2) Put the file on your tablets internal storage
    3) Got to recovery and make a backup
    4) In recovery do to a factory reset and wipe dalvik cache
    - TWRP recovery: Wipe => Dalvik Cache and Wipe => Factory reset
    - CWM recovery: Factory reset and Advanced => Wipe Dalvik Cache

5) Flash the US_epad-user-9.4.3.30.zip file
    Don't install a custom recovery after doing this step. The Jellybean update will only be automatically launched with stock recovery
    6) Reboot into your tablet and enable "USB-debugging" and "Unknown Sources" in settings
    7) Connect your tablet to your pc and download this file: Automated Rooting Toolkit
    8) Extract the rooting toolkit and follow the instructions to root your tablet.
    9) Once you finished the rooting process you are ready to continue to the upgrade process :)

== Part 2 - Upgrade to Jellybean ==
    This will upgrade your tablet to Jellybean (Android 4.1.1)

1) Download the necessary files:
    - dlpkgfile: Jellybean OTA update Rename this file to dlpkgfile
    - command: command.zip (Extract this zip before copying to your tablet)

2) Copy both files to your MicroSD card or internal storage
    3) Open root explorer or another file explorer with root acces
    4) Copy dlpkgfile to /cache folder and the file command to /cache/recovery
    5) Now you need to reboot your tablet, this will start the installation of the Jellybean update
    6) Wait untill the update is finished and now you have Jellybean on your tablet

== Part 3 - Install recovery and rooting ==
    Let's start with installing the recovery :)

1) Download these 2 files:
    - Jellybean recovery with fastboot files: Fastboot files + JB recovery
    - Root files: Root Files
    - You can also download the new CWM Touch recovery if you don't like TWRP: CWM Touch recovery thread

2) Extract the recovery with fastboot files zip and open a command prompt in the same folder of the adb and fastboot files (Shift + Right mouse)
    3) Reboot into the bootloader of your tablet, type: adb reboot bootloader
    4) When your tablet has reached the bootloader navigate with volume down to the usb icon and press volume up to confirm.
    5) To flash the recovery type:
    - TWRP: fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash recovery tf300t-jb.blob
    - CWM: fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash recovery CWM-Touch.blob

6) A blue bar will appear and the recovery will be installed, when the blue bar is filled press volume up + power button to reboot into the tablet.

Now we will root the tablet :D

7) Copy Superuser-3.2-RC3-arm-signed to the internal storage of your tablet. then reboot into the bootloader again.
    8) This time you need to select the RCK icon with volume up to enter the recovery image.
    9) In recovery flash Superuser-3.2-RC3-arm-signed and reboot into the system
    10) Install Supersu from Google Play
    11) Open up Supersu, it will ask you to update the binary, choose yes.
    12) Now your tablet should be rooted :)

== credits ==
    - eyeballer for TWRP recovery
    - untermensch for CWM recovery
    - sparkym3 for his automated rooting toolkit
    - Redefined301 for his guide

== Part 4 - Remove the Bloatware ==
    The bloatware that can be removed is listed here, I listed it in categories :)

== Live Wallpapers ==
    Code:
    Black Hole (wallpaper or live)[B][INDENT]- Galaxy4.apk
    - Galaxy4.odex[/INDENT][/B]
    Android Live Wallpapers[B][INDENT]- LiveWallpapers.apk
    - LiveWallpapers.odex[/INDENT][/B]
    Backgound Picker[B][INDENT]- LiveWallpapersPicker.apk
    - LiveWallpapersPicker.odex[/INDENT][/B]
    HoloSpiralWallpaper Wallpaper[B][INDENT]- HoloSpiralWallpaper.apk
    - HoloSpiralWallpaper.odex[/INDENT]  [/B]                           
    Asus Water Live Wallpapers[B][INDENT]- MyWater.apk
    - MyWater.odex
    - MyWater2.apk
    - MyWater2.odex[/INDENT][/B]

== Face Unlock Feature==
    Code:
    - All files in /system/vendor/pitpat
    - /system/lib/libfacelock_jni.so
    - Facelock.apk

== Widgets==
    Code:
    Battery widget[B][INDENT]- BatteryWidget.apk
    - BatteryWidget.odex[/INDENT][/B]
    Deskclock[B][INDENT]- DeskClock.apk
    - DeskClock.odex[/INDENT][/B]
    Email widget[B][INDENT]- EmailWidget.apk
    - EmailWidget.odex[/INDENT][/B]
    My Zine[B][INDENT]- MyZine.apk
    - MyZine.odex[/INDENT][/B]
    Weather[B][INDENT]- Weather.apk
    - Weather.odex[/INDENT][/B]

== Google bloatware==
    Code:
    Books app[B][INDENT]- Books.apk[/INDENT][/B]
    Google Chrome[B][INDENT]- Chrome.apk[/INDENT][/B]
    Google Market Feedback[B][INDENT]- GoogleFeedback.apk[/INDENT][/B]
    Google Maps & Streetview[B][INDENT]- GMS_Maps.apk
    - Street.apk[/INDENT][/B]
    Google Gallery[B][INDENT]- Galery2.apk
    - Gallery2.odex[/INDENT][/B]
    Google Plus[B][INDENT]- PlusOne.apk[/INDENT][/B]
    Google Talk[B][INDENT]- Talk.apk[/INDENT][/B]
    Google Search[B][INDENT]- QuickSearch.apk
    - Velvet.apk[/INDENT][/B]
    Google Video[B][INDENT]- Videos.apk[/INDENT][/B]
    Youtube[B][INDENT]- Youtube.apk
    - YoutubeSearch.apk
    - YoutubeSearch.odex[/INDENT][/B]

== Asus & 3rd Party bloatware==
    Code:
    Asus reader[B][INDENT]- AsusReader.apk
    - AsusReader.odex[/INDENT][/B]
    Dictionary[B][INDENT]- Dictionary.apk
    - Dictionary.odex[/INDENT][/B]
    Facebook Poster[B][INDENT]- FacebookPoster.apk
    - FacebookPoster.odex[/INDENT][/B]
    Asus File Manager[B][INDENT]- FileManager2.apk
    - FileManager2.odex[/INDENT][/B]
    Asus PC Sync[B][INDENT]- FDHttpd30.apk
    - PCSyncLauncher.apk
    - PCSyncLauncher.odex[/INDENT][/B]
    Kindle app[B][INDENT]- Kindle-OEM.apk[/INDENT][/B]
    MMS/SMS app[B][INDENT]- MMS.apk
    - MMS.odex[/INDENT][/B]
    Asus My Cloud & My Net[B][INDENT]- MyCloud.apk
    - MyCloud.odex
    - MyNet.apk
    - MyNet.odex[/INDENT][/B]
    Netflix app[B][INDENT]- Netflix.apk[/INDENT][/B]
    Sound Recorder[B][INDENT]- SoundRecorder.apk
    - SoundRecorder.odex[/INDENT][/B]
    Asus Vibe app[B][INDENT]- Vibe_CN.apk[/INDENT][/B]
    Video Editor[B][INDENT]- VideoEditor.apk
    - VideoEditor.odex[/INDENT][/B]

Maybe more to be added later :)

== Part 5 - Speed up the tablet ==
    Tweaks will come here ;)
    First off I want to say awesome job to the OP for compiling this information, it works well....if you are paying attention. Is it noob proof, in theory yes but, there are a few gotchas if you are not paying attention or do not understand what is being asked of you via the instructions.

First and foremost, when you download US 9.4.3.30 from the Asus support site, make sure to download the US VERSION! I downloaded the JP variant and it failed at 25% everytime. Asus is not a US company, and therefore the US version may or may not be listed first with their products. A lot of us (me included) will download the first piece of software we see and expect it to be the correct variant. IF you accidentally installed another firmware variant do not worry.....simply make sure you root the device (using the instructions from this thread) reinstall TWRP from Goo Mananger (found in the playstore), then follow part 1 again. From experience I know it works fine.

Second, when you get to Part 2 and you copy the command file and the dlpkgfile you have to do more then simply reboot the device. So, copy the files to the correct places, turn off the TF300T, then hold power + down volume to start recovery, once the recovery message appears below the Device unlocked status message, press up volume to enter recovery. Now it runs the command script and will install the update.

Lastly, running adb in the command prompt (aka DOS prompt) can require you to run it as admin. So copy the fastboot files+JB recovery to something like C:\Recovery (do this by creating a folder within the C: drive, something easy to change to through the command prompt, then go to the accessories folder, right click command prompt, left click "run as administrator", then type cd\, then cd\Recovery, or change directory to wherever you copied the files to.

Everything else is fairly easy to follow. Im not a noob to this stuff, but Im not a veteran programmer either. Hope this helps!
    I unlocked the bootloader for V1.27 and still no dice when running the root tool. ADB finds the device and pushes the files to it but it still fails every time. SU is installed but no root.

Thoughts?

Hi i just had same issuse with latest asus firmware

install TWRP recovery first via this link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2187982
    then flash su via http://download.chainfire.eu/351/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip

Hope this helps
    I only got stock kernel zip file. Should I flash stock ROM and Kernel with your command "filename".zip ? .. man I feel like a big dummy :confused:

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

you can try to flash stock kernel using that command yes.

I'll post a method to downgrade without problems tomorrow. There is a method to do it safely I think :)