Hasta La Vista

Search This thread

luna_c666

Dec 30, 2011
I bought the Epic late, just two years ago, it had been out for nearly a year already..but I saw someone who had one and they suggested I get one too, so I skipped over the iphones and Epic Touch (didn't even have a phone at all at that point so options were wide open), and picked this one up. Lady at the desk at sprint thought I was crazy for buying an older model, I thought for sure I'd need the hard keyboard for texting..never did. But I did buy a Game Gripper and load tons of emulators on this thing..something no touchscreen only device has going for it.

Turns out, the Epic has set the benchmark on what a good development community SHOULD be, and so much of that development is a credit to xboxfanj. I lurked around and hesitated to mod my device for nearly 6 months, finally saw someone with a CM ROM and decided to go for it and never looked back. Tinkered with some programming, never got truly proficient, but I can flash nearly any device with confidence, and I have this community to thank.

I'll be moving on soon as well, upgrading to a noteII and an s3 for the wife, but will still have two Epics (new ones at that, since my wife's proximity and orientation sensor went out recently, and taking hers in for a replacement tomorrow when I get my note) so I will still lurk around here myself, looking for the latest and greatest..I'm so happy we got ICS even, and then JB!! WOW. And then I look at my friends who have had their Androids for as long still on GB and just laugh..the ones who were afraid to let me flash them over, or who bought crappy phones (like the Stratosphere) where there is no community. Samsung is definitely my favorite phone brand, and I have the Epic and the XDA forums here to thank for my education.

Screw HTC, Motorola, and LG...Samsung FTW!

Will miss you guys, especially seeing that picture of Sam Jackson eating someone's burger ;)

xboxfanj

Recognized Developer
Apr 24, 2011
St. Louis
I bought the Epic late, just two years ago, it had been out for nearly a year already..but I saw someone who had one and they suggested I get one too, so I skipped over the iphones and Epic Touch (didn't even have a phone at all at that point so options were wide open), and picked this one up. Lady at the desk at sprint thought I was crazy for buying an older model, I thought for sure I'd need the hard keyboard for texting..never did. But I did buy a Game Gripper and load tons of emulators on this thing..something no touchscreen only device has going for it.

Turns out, the Epic has set the benchmark on what a good development community SHOULD be, and so much of that development is a credit to xboxfanj. I lurked around and hesitated to mod my device for nearly 6 months, finally saw someone with a CM ROM and decided to go for it and never looked back. Tinkered with some programming, never got truly proficient, but I can flash nearly any device with confidence, and I have this community to thank.

I'll be moving on soon as well, upgrading to a noteII and an s3 for the wife, but will still have two Epics (new ones at that, since my wife's proximity and orientation sensor went out recently, and taking hers in for a replacement tomorrow when I get my note) so I will still lurk around here myself, looking for the latest and greatest..I'm so happy we got ICS even, and then JB!! WOW. And then I look at my friends who have had their Androids for as long still on GB and just laugh..the ones who were afraid to let me flash them over, or who bought crappy phones (like the Stratosphere) where there is no community. Samsung is definitely my favorite phone brand, and I have the Epic and the XDA forums here to thank for my education.

Screw HTC, Motorola, and LG...Samsung FTW!

Will miss you guys, especially seeing that picture of Sam Jackson eating someone's burger ;)

Thanks man. You should try an optimus g though. Glad I could make your epic experience better. But my question to you is what does Marcellus Wallace look like?

Sent from my Optimus G using xda app-developers app

luna_c666

Dec 30, 2011
Thanks man. You should try an optimus g though. Glad I could make your epic experience better. But my question to you is what does Marcellus Wallace look like?

He doesn't look like a B!TC# ;)

Saw the optimus G today btw, nice device, but sticking to my guns, I like Samsung way too much. But didn't realize they were going to charge me to upgrade, since the service tech I spoke to on the phone repeatedly said 'free upgrade'...so I'm calling Sprint CS in the morning and telling them look, I been paying my bills for two years, and my 'upgrade' is the same cost as if I were a brand new customer?! Plus, Sprint doesn't have 4G in this area, and Verizon does, AND they have the same phones for the same price, so if you don't give me a NoteII and an S3, when my contract runs out next month I'm going to Verizon. See if I can squeeze some free hardware out of these guys to keep me on another 2 year contract :p

I'll gladly forego the 4G service if I get $500 of free hardware from Sprint, otherwise I'll get my taxes and go to Verizon :/

Reactions: TexasLTE

xboxfanj

Recognized Developer
Apr 24, 2011
St. Louis
He doesn't look like a B!TC# ;)

Saw the optimus G today btw, nice device, but sticking to my guns, I like Samsung way too much. But didn't realize they were going to charge me to upgrade, since the service tech I spoke to on the phone repeatedly said 'free upgrade'...so I'm calling Sprint CS in the morning and telling them look, I been paying my bills for two years, and my 'upgrade' is the same cost as if I were a brand new customer?! Plus, Sprint doesn't have 4G in this area, and Verizon does, AND they have the same phones for the same price, so if you don't give me a NoteII and an S3, when my contract runs out next month I'm going to Verizon. See if I can squeeze some free hardware out of these guys to keep me on another 2 year contract :p

I'll gladly forego the 4G service if I get $500 of free hardware from Sprint, otherwise I'll get my taxes and go to Verizon :/

You can pay to etf. Or call retentions and threaten to switch and they will move you up.

luna_c666

Dec 30, 2011
You can pay to etf. Or call retentions and threaten to switch and they will move you up.

Was that another language? lol

etf=early termination fee? Yeah, my contract is up next month. I would rather call customer service and demand free upgrades or I'm switching to verizon.
They offered me a free iPhone4S today...btw. Guess what I said to that?

Fnorder

Nov 8, 2008
Lake Vostok
Thanks for helping make this a better phone!

The loss of the keyboard is surprisingly not as difficult
SwiftKey Flow is now my way of getting around the physical keyboard
while I will always miss my hardware keyboard, the larger screen on the S3 makes it easier to live with.
I thought for sure I'd need the hard keyboard for texting..never did.

This makes me scratch my head every time I see it. The keyboard is the most important part of the phone for me; old it may be, for coding and remote admin tasks the epic will continue to blow any quad core/2gb device out of the water, if said device is crippled with a software (or 4 row) keyboard :>

That said, I've been eying the relay 4g; not a -huge- upgrade, but sprint's coverage continues to suck.

Reactions: ecooce

xboxfanj

Recognized Developer
Apr 24, 2011
St. Louis
Thanks for helping make this a better phone!

This makes me scratch my head every time I see it. The keyboard is the most important part of the phone for me; old it may be, for coding and remote admin tasks the epic will continue to blow any quad core/2gb device out of the water, if said device is crippled with a software (or 4 row) keyboard :>

That said, I've been eying the relay 4g; not a -huge- upgrade, but sprint's coverage continues to suck.

Everyone has different uses. I don't write code on my phone and typically don't write anything particularly long, so the on screen keyboard works great for me.

DCRocks

Oct 4, 2010
Washington DC
It seems like it is getting closer and closer to when I have to turn out the lights on this forum.

XDA Moderator

Hold off until the day after the GS4 comes out. I'll be gone then.

Yah, I am still holding on to my Epic by my fingernails... but dam.. everyone seems to be heading out.. ...sigh... :crying:

Like the poster above, I will probably make the jump when the S4 comes out.

What a run its been, I've had my Epic from release day, and have never regretted it.

For me, the Epic Touch was a nonstarter for upgrading, and while the S3 is awesome, its wasnt enough to get be to surrender my Epic, more so once CM9 came out, but it seems that this wonderful run is about over.

The camera on the S3 is just so much better than mine, though that is about the only item I miss off the GF's S3, but from what I have read of the S4, and the way the development for the Epic is fading.... looks like I will be signing up for the S4 to get it on release day...

Here is hoping to see you all on the other side.... :highfive:

rocket321

Jan 29, 2009
What a fun read this was - I moved to the Epic Touch (got one used last spring) and then the S3 on a black Friday deal for $0.99, but I still have a pair of Epic's in my office that I power on once in a while and play with. It's been great to know you guys, and to see many of the Epic DEV's find this thread and start chatting, feels like old times.

I must say, this phone certainly aged well, and was the best XDA community I've been a part of. Part of the reason I've stuck with samsung phones is because many folks who started here continue to dev for newer Samsung phones. My S3 has CM official thanks to some of the folks who started CM up for the Epic.

Amazing group, amazing memories. I'm gonna go flash something on my epic now...just for old times sake :)

wgorham

Apr 8, 2010
It has been great having you. I know my Epic experience would not have been as great without your help!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Epic was my first smartphone, so it will always have a special place in my heart, however, the time has come for me to get a new device. I got the Optimus G yesterday and it is amazing. I don't have the Epic anymore, so I probably won't do a whole lot more for it unless someone asks me to make a ROM that is unique from the other ROMs available (IE: I will not spend time making a ROM that looks and behaves nearly identically to CM, considering that we already have great CM builds). The loss of the keyboard is surprisingly not as difficult as I would have guessed. I hope to see some of you over at those forums, but to the ones who I don't, I will miss you.
    Sunofabitch! Another Epic fixture leaving...sniff sniff...I can't...I can't...I can't...
    Just go on...getoudda here! Who needs ya :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:
    Sunofabitch! Another Epic fixture leaving...sniff sniff...I can't...I can't...I can't...
    Just go on...getoudda here! Who needs ya :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

I've been here since the Epic came out, and it's been a good run. My Epic's usb port has finally succumbed to the ravages of time, making it nearly impossible to charge - looks like I'll be moving on the gs3 forums soon. Usually, an upgrade is entirely a good thing, but I will definitely miss this community. I'm not trying to hijack Jake's thread, but I haven't done enough to warrant a thread of my own, lol

So back on topic - xboxfanj, thanks for everything you did to make an awesome phone even better. My dying Epic spent its last several months of life running CM7 with your original Crespo patch, and that is what will remain on it as it is powered down for the last time. Thanks again, and best of luck in all your future endeavors :)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app
    I've been here since the Epic came out, and it's been a good run. My Epic's usb port has finally succumbed to the ravages of time, making it nearly impossible to charge - looks like I'll be moving on the gs3 forums soon. Usually, an upgrade is entirely a good thing, but I will definitely miss this community. I'm not trying to hijack Jake's thread, but I haven't done enough to warrant a thread of my own, lol

So back on topic - xboxfanj, thanks for everything you did to make an awesome phone even better. My dying Epic spent its last several months of life running CM7 with your original Crespo patch, and that is what will remain on it as it is powered down for the last time. Thanks again, and best of luck in all your future endeavors :)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app
    Go with an Optimus if you can. My dad has the S3 and it is nice, but worse than the OG. I'll miss all you. Thanks for all the kind words everyone. Good luck to all of you.
    It seems like it is getting closer and closer to when I have to turn out the lights on this forum.

XDA Moderator

Hold off until the day after the GS4 comes out. I'll be gone then.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2