Ubuntu for Android Custom ROM for Galaxy Nexus

Search This thread

AndrevRoot

Aug 1, 2012
*****Moderators: please move this over to a different Galaxy Nexus ROM dev area should it apply, but please leave a link to it under this Sub-forum.

I have created what is probably the first custom Android ROM that includes the files for Ubuntu internally, alongside the existing Android architecture. While this is not really a polished release, it has the ability to crash the phone, and requires some tweaking by devs and downloaders. However, for Galaxy Nexus owners (toro for now, soon to be other GNex devices also) this ROM (Rev 2) should boot up after removing one internal zip file. Go ahead to https://sites.google...site/andrevroot for the link about the project, and/or the bottom of this post for

Some things to note:
  • Comment back what you think about this project, and ROM.
  • Please keep all comments polite and on topic.
  • Donate, via bitcoin if you like, as it helps support us, and help create better, more advanced ROMs.
  • Please look through the whole site
  • Don't try this ROM if you are new to custom ROMs, try Cyanogenmod ROMs first so you know what you are doing.
  • I take no responsibility for screwing up your device in any way.
  • This version is heavily based upon CM10, to the point where it should even say the General CM10 stuff under Settings>About Device. Please do not beat me up over this, it is just because I wanted to get a simple pre-release out there.
  • This is licensed, please read the License agreement at the footer of my site, you are bound to its terms. Its Creative Commons, but still used.
  • Thank You for your time, have a nice day.
  • Above all, do not try to update the CM firmware, as you will lose the ubuntu files contained within!!!!!!
-Andrevroot

***Links to follow***

withbloodskies

Jul 26, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga
Holy cow, dude this was awesome. I mean... me and this thing clicked instantly. As soon as it booted within 5-10 seconds I got through the lockscreen and then just started dozing through all the apps and swiping. It is a bit slow, not in particular though, probably as slow as Miui. This is just a dev preview, imagine the real thing and I didn't lose to much battery life within the span of 20 minutes. I wanted to keep this on my phone just to test but I couldn't. I'm just waiting for the real thing :victory:

russphil

Jul 6, 2009
Where's the link??

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Here's the link to his site which has download links to his Revisions 1 and 2. I've downloaded both and haven't had any luck getting them to flash and his website isn't very clear with instructions on how you're supposed to do so.

EDIT: It seems that he updated the link as I was typing my post. The link to revision 2 is no longer there, and the first revision is hosted on a different site. I'm going to download it and flash it and see if I have any luck.

EDIT2: No dice Jim Rice

Last edited:

AndrevRoot

Aug 1, 2012
Holy cow, dude this was awesome. I mean... me and this thing clicked instantly. As soon as it booted within 5-10 seconds I got through the lockscreen and then just started dozing through all the apps and swiping. It is a bit slow, not in particular though, probably as slow as Miui. This is just a dev preview, imagine the real thing and I didn't lose to much battery life within the span of 20 minutes. I wanted to keep this on my phone just to test but I couldn't. I'm just waiting for the real thing :victory:

So you tried out the ROM, how well did it work for you? Did you like it, what do you want to see changed? I am trying right now to put together a hacked SlimBean version, which is much faster and better to use. Did the Ubuntu side work?
-Andrevroot

AndrevRoot

Aug 1, 2012
Here's the link to his site which has download links to his Revisions 1 and 2. I've downloaded both and haven't had any luck getting them to flash and his website isn't very clear with instructions on how you're supposed to do so.

EDIT: It seems that he updated the link as I was typing my post. The link to revision 2 is no longer there, and the first revision is hosted on a different site. I'm going to download it and flash it and see if I have any luck.

I'll post a SlimBean version soon, which is better and faster. Should work.
-Andrevroot

Reactions: cctoro

Esteway.619

Dec 30, 2010
san diego
Can u post a what's working and not working in the op so no one will ask latter. Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Where's the link??

I'll post a SlimBean version soon, which is better and faster. Should work.
    -Andrevroot