Choppy 3D-video-PLAYBACK since 4.0.3 Update

Search This thread

Tobias.81

Jul 10, 2012
LG V30
Hi,

I'm experiencing severe problems with 3D-video-playback since I updated to ICS last week: They no longer play fluently.

It happens with ALL 3D-videos. Even the ones recorded with the device (BTW: Playback on a PC is still OK. So the camcorder itself is still working correctly).

Once I switch the videos into 2D-mode, everything plays fluently again (even 1080p videos streamed over network).
A complete reset didn't help either (but at least the calendar works again! :)

I guess there is no hardware defect and I'm not asking for a fix here. I was just wondering if someone else experiences the same problems.

My device: EVO3D GSM unbranded, larger 2048-2nd sensor

PS:
The LG 3D would have been the better choice!
The Evo's 3D-photo-quality is just unbelievably bad. And video-recording in real life does ALWAYS suffer from sudden FPS-drops. Not only in dark scenes, but also with fast motion and flashing-lightsources. The firmware seems to be total crap. I'll probably not buy a HTC phone again.
It already wasted a lot of my time just because it does not work very well. I even started to write my own native-camcorder app (but hoped ICS would fix most problems). I hate apple, but at least their phones work.

Last edited:

rdr_m

May 4, 2011
Yea.ics has ruined 3d vdo playback.its not really choppy.bt there is micro stuttering which takes the fun out of it.yea should have gone for lg.my fon suffers from light leakage and dust inside screen.and where i live there is no warranty on htc phones.so pretty scrwed i guess.since the ics update as the 3d playback has gone bad i now really regret buyin it.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Tobias.81

Tobias.81

Jul 10, 2012
LG V30
Thanks for the quick reponse/confirm.
It was more helpful than the reply from HTC (just contacted them for fun... didn't expect something useful as long as I don't get the lucky chance to meet that developer in taiwan who obviously screwed it up :)
Hope they port Android 4.1 soon.

meangreenie

Mar 6, 2012
Thanks for the quick reponse/confirm.
It was more helpful than the reply from HTC (just contacted them for fun... didn't expect something useful as long as I don't get the lucky chance to meet that developer in taiwan who obviously screwed it up :)
Hope they port Android 4.1 soon.

Try installing something like 'system tuner' from the market and set the governor to 'performance' or/and setting the second core to 'always on'

Last edited:

Tobias.81

Jul 10, 2012
LG V30
Try installing something like 'system tuner' from the market and set the governor to 'performance' or/and setting the second core to 'always on'

haven't rooted the device yet.
anyways: playback of 3D-1080-videos in 2D-splitscreen works. So it's not a CPU/GPU-performance problem.
They must have done something wrong with the split + sync of the source-material...

lurkist

Jul 22, 2010
Damn, thought it was just a setting I'd messed with and would eventually find. Please keep us up to date if you find a fix...

cautious911

Aug 12, 2009
Tampa, FL
Google Pixel 5a
Ha thought it was me can't play any mp4 vids even on ms player I'm in chubbz boost ics data speeds are crazy good but Ive had some camera problems and now can't do any video playback... I'm goin back to 2.17 based gb

I thought it was a flash isssue so of course wiped and flashed even changed from 4 ext recovery back to Twrp touch still nothing waiting for this gb Rom to finish going back to synergy

laie1472

Feb 18, 2010
Try installing an app called SD speed booster. Then set the read ahead speed to 2048 or 3072 and see if that helps. If any of you guys have system tuner its an option in the tweaks settings. Also select apply on boot. Hopefully that will help. Let me know if it does. Also you have to be rooted to use both apps.

#Root-Hack_Mod*Always\=LTE

rdr_m

May 4, 2011
Is there any ez way to root stock ics.i am really new to htc.i had a samsung galaxy s previously and rooting it was so darn ez.i wud really lyk to try the aforementiond apps.bt havent been able to do so as i dont have root access.

Tobias.81

Jul 10, 2012
LG V30
I tried some other players and now I'm sure there is something wrong with the HW-decoder (since 4.0.3!)
All HW-players show the same behaviour:

- 2D-splitscreen playback @ 30fps = OK (e.g. with that chinese 3dvplayer)
- Switch to 3D => Drop to ~15fps

And sadly there is no software-player that is capable of 720p-playback. The FFMPEG guys should really invest more time in GPU and NEON-ASM ;-)

The bottleneck must lie somewhere between the decoder and the display-driver.

lurkist

Jul 22, 2010
Is there any ez way to root stock ics?

Seconded.

Tried the 4EXTRecovery app to flash Superuser, it seems to require a root access... Whats up with that, isn't it supposed to BE for rooting?

Tried installing Superuser from the apk which seemed to work, but the pref I needed didn't show up (something to do with tuning/syncing USB?).

Any instructions for an easy method (or complicated, as long as it WORKS!) please, stock ICS.

Cheers

meangreenie

Mar 6, 2012
Seconded.

Tried the 4EXTRecovery app to flash Superuser, it seems to require a root access... Whats up with that, isn't it supposed to BE for rooting?

Tried installing Superuser from the apk which seemed to work, but the pref I needed didn't show up (something to do with tuning/syncing USB?).

Any instructions for an easy method (or complicated, as long as it WORKS!) please, stock ICS.

Cheers

If you have 4ext recovery installed just install superuser from the actual recovery. boot vol-down+power, select fastboot then recovery.

If you have standard htc recovery you'll have htc unlock and use the fastboot command from your pc ... from dos prompt type 'fastboot boot recovery.img' (have custom recovery.img in the same directory as your running the command promt from)

lurkist

Jul 22, 2010
If you have 4ext recovery installed just install superuser from the actual recovery. boot vol-down+power, select fastboot then recovery.

If you have standard htc recovery you'll have htc unlock and use the fastboot command from your pc ... from dos prompt type 'fastboot boot recovery.img' (have custom recovery.img in the same directory as your running the command promt from)

Hmm, 4ext didn't work for me, but hearing of HTC recovery led me here - how-to-root-evo-3d - from where I sort of managed it. Anyone else trying it, you won't need HTC's entire SDK zip, all neccesary files are in the one from that link. Also, pay close attention to the comment from a user about step 18 - the ...shooter.img needs to be ...shooteru.img from here - shooteru.img.

So I appear to be rooted now, only there's not much I can do as I appear to have lost my internet settings - I get 'Limited Service' on startup, and no connection at all (I have no Wifi).

cautious911

Aug 12, 2009
Tampa, FL
Google Pixel 5a
Nevermind guys.. figured it out.. check your SD cards my problem was I had gotten a 32gb SD card with no class switched back to my 16gb class 4 and everything just works 2d playback of all types now 3dvplayer actually works I've downloaded acoupl movies no need to get sick flux VIP I think

So guys check your SD cards 10 is best and fastest data transfer

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

lurkist

Jul 22, 2010
Nevermind guys.. figured it out.. check your SD cards my problem was I had gotten a 32gb SD card with no class switched back to my 16gb class 4 and everything just works 2d playback of all types now 3dvplayer actually works I've downloaded acoupl movies no need to get sick flux VIP I think

So guys check your SD cards 10 is best and fastest data transfer

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

That's good news, I'm about to get a class 10 card.

My connection problem is sorted too, turns out Tesco's service chose the exact moment I rooted my device to go down. Imagine the odds of that! You wouldn't believe the time / data / hair I lost trying to figure it out, and potentially dangerous things I did to my poor lil Evo!

2old4toys

Sep 7, 2012
www.youtube.com
Hi,
I'm new to this phone and getting the same choppy 3D video playback problem on my ICS 4.0.3 EVO3D too. Been a year, so did you guys ever get a solution to this issue or is it still with us? I tested with a class 10 card already and made no difference to choppy 3D video playback. (besides I think cautious911's class 10 card solution is for an entirely different problem of not being able to play back "any" video rather that the issue of the thread title relating to "Choppy 3D-video-playback")

Thanks in advance for any feedback you have on choppy 3D video playback.

Hi,

I'm experiencing severe problems with 3D-video-playback since I updated to ICS last week: They no longer play fluently.

It happens with ALL 3D-videos. Even the ones recorded with the device (BTW: Playback on a PC is still OK. So the camcorder itself is still working correctly).

Once I switch the videos into 2D-mode, everything plays fluently again (even 1080p videos streamed over network).
A complete reset didn't help either (but at least the calendar works again! :)

I guess there is no hardware defect and I'm not asking for a fix here. I was just wondering if someone else experiences the same problems.

My device: EVO3D GSM unbranded, larger 2048-2nd sensor

PS:
The LG 3D would have been the better choice!
The Evo's 3D-photo-quality is just unbelievably bad. And video-recording in real life does ALWAYS suffer from sudden FPS-drops. Not only in dark scenes, but also with fast motion and flashing-lightsources. The firmware seems to be total crap. I'll probably not buy a HTC phone again.
It already wasted a lot of my time just because it does not work very well. I even started to write my own native-camcorder app (but hoped ICS would fix most problems). I hate apple, but at least their phones work.

Last edited:

2old4toys

Sep 7, 2012
www.youtube.com
If anyone on the EVO3D with stock 4.0.3 who can report they can playback 3D video recorded by the phone itself or 720p 3D downloaded video from youtube (via tubeMate app) and view it without dropped frames I'd be very interested to hear it.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yea.ics has ruined 3d vdo playback.its not really choppy.bt there is micro stuttering which takes the fun out of it.yea should have gone for lg.my fon suffers from light leakage and dust inside screen.and where i live there is no warranty on htc phones.so pretty scrwed i guess.since the ics update as the 3d playback has gone bad i now really regret buyin it.

Ah yes obviously, that post was in August lol do you know if anyone found a way to fix the playback on stock devices? I've searched but I haven't found anything. :/

No, sorry