[Q] Low on space - Database storage is getting low error message

Search This thread

sunnylicious

Aug 12, 2010
This is my 2nd Samsung Vibrant, and I'm getting the same error message as before:

A red SD card in the notification bar on top with the message "Low on space - Database storage is getting low error message"

This phone is NOT rooted and does not have any type of task killer running. It is running the stock version of the OS.

When I check storage I have the following:
SD Card Total Space 1.84GB Available Space - 417MB
Phone Storage Total space 12.78GB Available Space 12.52GB
Application Storage Available Space 1.59GB

Running Services shows only the usuals...SWYPE, facebook etc
Available: 23MB_123... Other:53MB in 4 services

I have already returned a vibrant because of this same issue. I def do NOT have too many apps installed.

The biggest app is Dolphin Browser HD and it was using 12mb...I've cleared cache on all apps that I can clear cache on and still have this issue.
I have rebooted, reseated SIM, SD, Battery numerous times with no luck.I have even taken it to the t-mobile store where I purchased the phone and they have even replaced my SIM card.
I do not have an abundance of text messages stored (17 conversations as I have frequently deleted them)

I'm getting real tired of this....Any ideas?

Goog1e Phone

May 24, 2009
I heard some where on the forums that dolphin browser doesn't work with our vibrants too well. Maybe uninstall that app and see if the problem continues.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

sunnylicious

Aug 12, 2010
I've uninstalled Dolphin and a ton of other apps...still the same error....this is nonsense. I know another vibrant owner but he doesnt have this issue with dolphin.

sunnylicious

Aug 12, 2010
Yes, I tried to swap out the micro sd card from my old G1 with the one I got with the Vibrant. I've also exchanged the phone once and seen the error on both phones. I can only assume the error is caused by an application I installed on both phones,...Pandora, Dolphin, mixzing etc etc

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Yes, I tried to swap out the micro sd card from my old G1 with the one I got with the Vibrant. I've also exchanged the phone once and seen the error on both phones. I can only assume the error is caused by an application I installed on both phones,...Pandora, Dolphin, mixzing etc etc

Sounds to me like you need to get the phone fresh back to stock, and install one app at a time till you find the one that's causing the problem. If you have root and adb, you could do a "du -h /data/data" and see if something is dumping a ton of data in there. Check /data/dbdata as well. It's got to be something you are installing or doing though, I've never seen a problem like this and I hack on my Vibrant.

And I don't think the SD has anything to do with it, run without one installed for a while. You don't need one, you have 16GB of internal flash, you can live without an external SD for a little while. :)

talltexan

May 17, 2009
Im getting the same error
I have shoot me running so i can grab the exact error whenever it comes up next. It tells you to delete call records, calendar and other things. After the warning comes up the phone is extremely laggy and requires a reboot in some instances.

I was about to start my own post but decided to search first. I even went in and deleted all but today on my call history

snap20100814122947.png

snap20100814123023.png

snap20100814123027.png

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I'd say /data/dbdata is getting full. Check with root explorer. Did you do the old lag fix? If so, revert and install one of the newer versions. If not, you need to figure out what app is loading lots of data in there. "du -h /data/dbdata" post the results and maybe we can help.

talltexan

May 17, 2009
I'd say /data/dbdata is getting full. Check with root explorer. Did you do the old lag fix? If so, revert and install one of the newer versions. If not, you need to figure out what app is loading lots of data in there. "du -h /data/dbdata" post the results and maybe we can help.

Whats the best Terminal and Root Explorer app? I have been out of the game since the G1. I was on CM2 i think if that tells you how far back its been and i always used their terminal/root explorer.

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Whats the best Terminal and Root Explorer app? I have been out of the game since the G1. I was on CM2 i think if that tells you how far back its been and i always used their terminal/root explorer.

I like sufbs, but there are a bunch. For terminal, I like connectbot. For this stuff, a computer with adb would be best so you can cut and paste the output to the forum.

talltexan

May 17, 2009
From what i can tell i think its my contacts..... for some reason Gmail is syncing just email adresses with no phone numbers and visa versa. Also i have found that under my section for "john" i have John then 4 linked contacts that are unknown. I wonder if this is causing the disruption. This all happened today as well as my Facebook links no longer linked to contacts.

EDIT: I deleted 241 of my random contacts that were emails i had made i will report back later to see if this happens again.

EDIT2: The red memory card came back , this time i clicked on it and deleted the bloated 80meg contact section didnt seem to delete contacts off my phone however will update if this fixes it.

Last edited:

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Try not using facebook contact sync. I've heard of people having problems with it. At least it should help you figure or if that's the problem. Or I suppose you could move the contacts db to another location. I have a fairly busy gmail contacts list and haven't seen nearly that level of data being used for it.

talltexan

May 17, 2009
Try not using facebook contact sync. I've heard of people having problems with it. At least it should help you figure or if that's the problem. Or I suppose you could move the contacts db to another location. I have a fairly busy gmail contacts list and haven't seen nearly that level of data being used for it.

After deleting the bloated Contacts i haven't gotten the error (i was sure to export the list from Google prior to deleting it) Also removing the Facebook Apps ability to sync and only leaving stock brought back the Contacts facebook updates.

emiletelkamp

Jun 15, 2007
Hey,

I had the same problem on my galaxy s, it seemed that the Samsung app store caused the problem with me. I tried downloading asphalt 5 when the phone prompted that the database memory was low. I left the program and tried different things, only to find out that i just had to cancel the download in the samsung app store, then it deleted the temp files and everything worked fine again.

Hope this helps?

Grtz Emile

iflyabeech

I have hard reset my phone twice due to this problem.. The last time, I downloaded cachemate for root, and clearing the cache worked for a couple days the couple of times I used it.. Today i cleared the cache and it didn't work...Manually cleared contacts, and the error went away, but I lost all of my contact pics....Hopefully they will resync from gmail....I don't get it.. didn't have this problem with G1!

Need a custom Froyo ROM! :)

talltexan

May 17, 2009
I have hard reset my phone twice due to this problem.. The last time, I downloaded cachemate for root, and clearing the cache worked for a couple days the couple of times I used it.. Today i cleared the cache and it didn't work...Manually cleared contacts, and the error went away, but I lost all of my contact pics....Hopefully they will resync from gmail....I don't get it.. didn't have this problem with G1!

Need a custom Froyo ROM! :)
Have you tried what i suggested? I haven't had the error since i deleted the contacts app.

iflyabeech

Have you tried what i suggested? I haven't had the error since i deleted the contacts app.

When I clicked on the red icon it brought up a list of programs and how much space they were using...

It said contacts was 105mb. The biggest of the other apps was around 4 mb....

I click on delete contacts which emptied them off my phone and the warning went away.. I will post back here if it returns. It has been returning every day or so when I was clearing it by clearing the cache.