Evo capping all graphics to 30FPS [OFFICIAL FIX!]

Search This thread

randymac88

Aug 30, 2007
What's particularly curious is that benchmark is suspiciously on par to the framerate achieved with our fps fix (particularly the epson) that preserved HDMI functionality.

Without HDMI it was actually possible to get the framerate around 57-58 (at least on the epson panels).

;D

Hey Netarchy - thanks for all of your great work on this stuff. Any chance you would put out a kernel that achieves the 57-58 without the hdmi? I never use the hdmi out, and would love the increased framerate. That would be awesome!

th3_g00b

Jan 11, 2010
i just saw the video and i have a question...on the nexus when u run fps2d does it throttle back and mark lower fps? or is it completely solid 60fps? if the nexus gets a solid 60 fps without the throttle then its depressing watching this vid....53 fps dev 7 with back throttle (granted is not AS bad) but still... oh well, i have faith in our dev teams!!! get us to 60 fps guys!! :p

brownhornet

Jan 5, 2009
i just saw the video and i have a question...on the nexus when u run fps2d does it throttle back and mark lower fps? or is it completely solid 60fps? if the nexus gets a solid 60 fps without the throttle then its depressing watching this vid....53 fps dev 7 with back throttle (granted is not AS bad) but still... oh well, i have faith in our dev teams!!! get us to 60 fps guys!! :p

So do you really believe 7 fps difference is going to be noticeable?:rolleyes:

netarchy

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Jun 16, 2010
San Antonio, TX
github.com

I think there's a point of confusion about caps in general. Raising the cap to 60fps (or uncapping to 60) does not mean you're *always* going to get 60, it means you can get up to 60, or at least, as far as the caps are concerned, you can try to get up to 60.

th3_g00b

Jan 11, 2010
I think there's a point of confusion about caps in general. Raising the cap to 60fps (or uncapping to 60) does not mean you're *always* going to get 60, it means you can get up to 60, or at least, as far as the caps are concerned, you can try to get up to 60.

well, the only reason i ask this is because when work was first started on the kernel to "fix" the evo fps, there was alot of talk about how it seemed like something was throttling back.... the whole does the nexus have that back throttle was more my question then anything else.

th3_g00b

Jan 11, 2010
So do you really believe 7 fps difference is going to be noticeable?:rolleyes:

yes, i understand that 7 fps isnt much of a difference but the fps2d is an average correct? so would those extra 7 give us a better average and sense of comfort knowing we're further up to 60 then closer to 50? haha, i know it sounds weird...i'm just not liking how we have a better phone that cant hit 60fps like the nexus can.....

DoctorComrade

Jun 11, 2010
Getting about a consistent 54 FPS on fps2d and around 29 fps on neocore. Wish there was more there but that could be limited by the gpu.

laydros

Jun 5, 2010
What's particularly curious is that benchmark is suspiciously on par to the framerate achieved with our fps fix (particularly the epson) that preserved HDMI functionality.

Without HDMI it was actually possible to get the framerate around 57-58 (at least on the epson panels).

;D

Seeing 53fps is very strange.

However I noticed the distribution is very different. With the community kernels I would get 53fps with an SD 4-8, and a pretty even bell curve. With the new HTC kernel I get 53fps and SD 8, but very few below 48 or so, and a whole lot above 55ish.

wfrandy

Jun 9, 2010
Reno
An interesting thing I noticed about fps2d is that when I run it on my wife's AT&T Samsung captivate it averages 53 fps at an sd of about 4.00, exactly the same as my Evo running Netarchy's kernel or the new HTC kernel.

I will have to say, I too am curious how HTC's fps fix compares to the way the dev's did it here.