What is the full size USB for?

Search This thread

pagantek

Jun 25, 2010
I have used the usb port to power a Dell KB (sk-8125) with 2 usb ports, and one of the ports has a generic optical mouse plugged in. I'm using this setup on VEGAn-Tab 5.1.1 with mouse patch and it all works perfectly.

Radon_22

Nov 15, 2008
So far, I've managed to use a keyboard, mouse, a thumb drive, and a card reader. All have run flawlessly under Vegan.

iglaze

Jun 6, 2010
Ok, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I have been able to use a USB keyboard and a wireless (2.4ghz) keyboard and mouse setup. The mouse doesn't really work correctly. I can kinda move it, but I don't think I would really use the mouse anyway, so not really worried about it.

Now the problem:

I've tried two USB drives that I have: Both Kingston Datatravelers. One 16 GB, the other 4GB. Neither one works.

Then I tried with a powered USB hub connected: A Macally USB hub found here: http://www.amazon.com/Macally-TRIHUB7-Mini-Adapter-Black/dp/B001DBF07S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302197723&sr=8-1.

I connected those two flash drives and a couple of hard drives and nothing.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a program or a specific filemanager I need? I tried both Astro and iFileManager that comes with Vegan-Tab Beta 5.1.1. Neither of them worked (I looked under the usbdisk folder. Is there somewhere else I should be looking?)

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. For example, what USB flash drives you are using, what powered hubs worked for you, etc.

usofrob

Mar 14, 2011
I've never used the Vegan ROM, I'm using a CM7 based ROM. I can plug a usb hub in and connect two USB drives. The first drive that gets connected is mounted in /mnt/usbdisk and /usbdisk, but the second drive isn't mounted.

I figured out how to manually mount it, but I have that written up at home (and I'm at work). I hope to start a thread that describes how to do it for other people. Then maybe we can build some scripts/apps to make it easier for us.

The two drives I tried are a USB CF reader and an external USB hard drive.

Last edited:

bebopblues

Mar 23, 2011
Just a note, when you plug in a flash drive, the notification icon doesn't show anything like it does when plugged into a PC. But the drive will show up in the file manager under the "/usbdisk" folder.

stephenbenham

Apr 6, 2011
I've never used the Vegan ROM, I'm using a CM7 based ROM. I can plug a usb hub in and connect two USB drives. The first drive that gets connected is mounted in /mnt/usbdisk and /usbdisk, but the second drive isn't mounted.

I figured out how to manually mount it, but I have that written up at home (and I'm at work). I hope to start a thread that describes how to do it for other people. Then maybe we can build some scripts/apps to make it easier for us.

The two drives I tried are a USB CF reader and an external USB hard drive.

What USB Hard Drive did you use? I want to buy a hard drive for this, but do not know which to get. Was it powered by an adapter?

iglaze

Jun 6, 2010
Hmm, that could be relevant. In my case, the ones that aren't working for me are all NTFS.

Coyot21

Mar 26, 2011
I was able to successfully connect my sansa e280 mp3 player as a /usbdisk today and transfer mp3's to the /sdcard2. I also attempted to connect my stock droid X, but was not able to see any of the contents. That may be a DX issue though.

tgruendler

Jun 21, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I am hoping that I can get some sort of Terminal Emulation software working with a USBtoSerial cable so I can work on Cisco equipment from my tablet.

astralplaydohrp

Sep 9, 2008
Anyone try a barcode scanner? We're thinking of using these tablets at work for scanning barcodes on servers quickly into a database.

tgruendler

Jun 21, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Essentially, a barcode scanner is a keyboard and most of them use a keyboard driver on windows so chances are pretty good unless it requires too much power.

Sent from my PC36100

someone0

May 5, 2010
I say skip the USB keyboard, I'm using the Think Outside Bluetooth right now on the Nightly build ginger CM. And it works w/o the need for any additional module/app.

apeironer

Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia
I can confirm that the gtab can power a seagate free agent go flex 500gb external hard drive. Out of the box it has to be formatted of course but after that it worked like a charm. Anyone know of a kernal that supports ntfs?

Gendo3

Mar 30, 2011
fort worth
does it read/write flash drives faster than it does from the sd cards? I ask because it seems to take forever to load anything to/from either of the two card slots

usofrob

Mar 14, 2011
What USB Hard Drive did you use? I want to buy a hard drive for this, but do not know which to get. Was it powered by an adapter?

I'm actually using an Archos 605 wifi with a 160GB hard drive built in. So, it has it's own built in power. But I've charged my phone off of my tablet before. It might have enough juice.

I think to be on the safe side for power, I'd get a slim 2.5" drive or one with a separate power adapter, depending on your needs. I hope to get one myself to back up photos while on vacation, but I'll probably need to be near power anyway.