Tab 10.1 is just another lame tablet...

Search This thread

Cheeseter

Apr 5, 2011
I don't compare the iPad2 and GTab together. In my opinion they are two almost completely different devices for different people.

guih

Jan 5, 2011
Then go buy an iPad. Either way, good luck finding something without any quirks whatsoever. I'll take the freedom to customize with some minor quirks over a dull UI any day.

PookiePrancer

Aug 9, 2010
So let me get this straight: several people bought this thing and weren't happy with it out of the box. So the answer to their dissatisfaction was to root the device, invalidating their warranty, and installing rom after rom, and kernel after kernel (some of which weren't even based on their particular Tab model, and all of which have issues of their own), using heaven knows what procedures to accomplish all of the above...and they're still not happy? Huh! Why am I not surprised?

I know Honeycomb has issues, but nothing near the magnitude I read about from some here. Maybe I got lucky and got a strong unit; I don't know. But I'm very happy with my stock, rooted Tab, and will wait patiently for roms based on official releases for my US, wifi model... followed by some Ice Cream Sandwich before year's end!

00_MACKIE_00

Aug 5, 2010
Florida
So let me get this straight: several people bought this thing and weren't happy with it out of the box. So the answer to their dissatisfaction was to root the device, invalidating their warranty, and installing rom after rom, and kernel after kernel (some of which weren't even based on their particular Tab model, and all of which have issues of their own), using heaven knows what procedures to accomplish all of the above...and they're still not happy? Huh! Why am I not surprised?

I know Honeycomb has issues, but nothing near the magnitude I read about from some here. Maybe I got lucky and got a strong unit; I don't know. But I'm very happy with my stock, rooted Tab, and will wait patiently for roms based on official releases for my US, wifi model... followed by some Ice Cream Sandwich before year's end!

Great post!!!

BlueGoldAce

Jun 7, 2010

Couldn't of said it better.

dmoney94

Jan 30, 2006
South Florida
If you like it dont buy it.
In a matter of 3 weeks,i have own eee pad,galaxy tab 10.1 and ipad 2,tested and played them all(buy and return)
After playing with all these tablets,i chose the galaxy tab 10.1 and i am happy with it.
If you are looking for the best tablet wait 5 more years,but none of us can wait 5 years so we are happy with our purchase.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Premium App

Glad I stumbled on to this. I was just about to pull the trigger on a 10.1 after reading Engadget's review about how it was the next best thing to the iPad 2. Guess I'll be waiting for the dual booting tablets with the Intel processors. I hate lag. On my computer & phones & I can't see dropping $600 on a laggy tablet.

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA Premium App

BlueGoldAce

Jun 7, 2010
Do you ever like your devices? You posted similar complaints on the EVO 3d.

The tab is great.....very smooth. Ice cream sandwich will only better it.

Raistlin1

Oct 1, 2010
There is no perfect tablet right now, so its either no tablet or pick one that you like the best.

This is a luxury item/toy and not a computer or laptop replacement, its not even a netbook replacement yet. Samsung did a great job making a beautiful tablet, now google needs to step up on the software side. They are rushing to market because of Apple, which isn't ideal but they want to be in the game. Is it right or wrong, who knows, but i am glad they released this now to enjoy.

JBO1018

Dec 25, 2010
Lots of people will be happy with their tabs regardless of a few bugs because that's just life when it comes to early adoption of electronics. It does get better with updates that by the way have been coming from Google fairly frequently as of late. Bugs are not uncommon and I assure you ipads have them too, but they have had longer too work them out. All of that said the two biggest issues with android tablets right now are Tegra 2, and Honeycomb's need for some bugs to get figured out. There seems to be some inherent issue with Tegra 2 and Android, or just Tegra 2 itself. I seem to read a lot about UI lag in almost all devices that use it, HC or not. All the tablets, Atrix, Droid X2, G2X etc...I have seen lots of reports of the same issues with every one. Hopefully we will soon see some Qualcomm and TI OMAP tabs soon.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

Last edited:

BlueGoldAce

Jun 7, 2010
It is android itself. The zoom is tegra, and hc was built to utilize that software. HC is not even a year old, so it just needs time.

Personally I think it is pretty great.

xManMythLegend

Dec 1, 2008
NYC
alot of you are missing the point. Its not a *honeycomb* issue...its also not a *bug*. It is a conscience design choice to ignore these things. They don't think of it as a priority which is a philosophical difference between them and every other mobile os. Do you not want the best of both worlds? You have a galaxy tab not an iconia or transformer so clearly style means SOMETHING to you. We know the features and options of Android. But that doesn't have to come at the expense of a smooth and consistent ui.If android had the same smoothness and 60fps ipad did.. I would walk around the subway mule kicking everything with an apple logo. But since it doesn't apple products continue to have a leg up there. iOS 5 added a huge amount of features that made android standout. Will there tablet slow to a crawl when typing on Xda after update? No....so why should an android tablet suffer framerate drops and stutter?

The SGT 10.1 is a fantastic tablet!
I have mine now for 10 days and works like a charm. Of course I have some issues like anyone else, but the user experience is so better than using a laptop! Most of the time my PC is now switched off.
All my surfing, emailing and chatting is on the tablet.
I just cannot understand why people complain about "lags" in Android, specially HC. If they compare with iPad2, I would say that iOS is so much simpler than HC, with a home screen that lacks any sort of usefulness, no support for widgets, almost no customization, no support of file manager, far lower resolution, etc, that I would really expect it to be smoother. Take out all those fantastic features we all love about Android and it surely will be as smooth as iOS.
But I am always willing to sacrifice some smoothness in favor of great features and customizaton capabilities.
Before anyone criticizes me, I own devices with both OS's!

TheBigSaxon

May 6, 2011
I ADW EX and SwiftKey X (tablet) and I have virtually no lag. On the stock launcher & Samsung kb, the lag was horrible.

You can also side-load Go Launcher directly from their website and the latest version is polished glass smooth. The only problem with both ADW & Go is that they turn the SGT10 into a big "phone" versus a tablet in some ways. But I tweak and have two completely smooth launchers whenever I want them.

hoodoomagic

Jun 25, 2010
Well the major issues that I had (typing lag in forums, browser crashing in certain javascript heavy websites) have been solved using the latest TouchWizz ROM posted in the dev forum.

Add in doc's UA and launcher tweaks and there goes 90% of the most common complaints about the tab.

If you don't feel comfortable flashing roms and playing with system files then just sit tight until the OTA rolls out sometime next week.

woodat

Aug 28, 2010
There's a simple reason to love this (or any) android device over the ipad-the back button. I do tech support for Macs and Ipads and this is what I choose to use instead in my personal life.

Yeah there is some lag but with each pershoot kernel its gotten less and less. Now its near gone (except in portrait mode for me strangely). Apps are starting to appear and they are getting better and better. Being able to competently run more than one app at a time and switch between them is priceless in making this more than a mindless consumer box. And I am....

Curses. I meant to just say back button and lag is going away but its too easy to want to defend this plucky tablet that has become an extension of my right arm. I guess all I should say is each person has different requirements for their electronics. For me its the ever increasing need to grow and evolve as I encounter new problems and embark on new projects. For you it could be different

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Premium App

Phil_Glisson

Jul 27, 2011
(Caution: If you are the sort of person that doesn't care for reading about another's experiences, skip to the very last paragraph for the sake of your sanity)

This is the first tablet I've owned. I decided to go in the direction of a tablet based upon my needs. I consider myself a very mobile person. As a college professor, much of my livelihood depends on research, reading, writing and responding to e-mails, etc. I also enjoy my fair share of leisure like anyone else (watching the occasional YouTube video, chatting on Facebook, taking an interesting picture, etc.).

My first smartphone venture was with the Motorola Cliq, which, while I loved the Android interface, turned out to be a disaster in terms of hardware (no updates for the longest time, updates came exclusively from Motorola's website after a year and was unannounced, keyboard stopped working, touch sensitivity was below average, screen hurt my eyes, and I'm sure there were some other issues if I wanted to sit here any longer to recollect). I should have known better since I have owned 4 Motorola phones prior to that one and each one has been a hardware nightmare and or design fail (the antenna on every version of the V60 I owned would break while the Rizr would get dust under the screen, the software lagged badly, and the home keys started to peel off). The short end of the story was that the one non-Motorola phone I had owned prior to my Galaxy S4G was the T-809. That phone lasted me almost 3 years with minimal issues and continued to do well after I had unlocked it and gave it away to my family members (my wife owned one as well). It was this experience that led me to try Samsung once more.

My first run with the S4G was a bit of a disappointment as I started to suffer from this issue where the screen would randomly sleep and could not be recovered while the phone would consistently vibrate on and off in this state. At first, I wrote it off as an aberrant incident, but it continued to happen (sometimes up to 4 times in the same day). I decided I would just deal with it for the time being until the data connection was permanently lost. Mind you, I am very careful with my electronics and had not damaged it in any way. Fortunately, T-Mobile replaced it for me with a brand new one (only because it was entirely out of stock; otherwise, it would have been a refurbished one) and I have had zero problems. I suppose that the lesson to be learned from this tidbit is that, for better or worse, products can be hit and miss.

The moral of this, admittedly lengthy story, however, is that the tablet will be only as good as the extent to which it meets your needs. For me, it is exactly what I was looking for. I became rather comfy with the Android interface from my use of smartphones and I enjoy Google's applications. When comparing the weight of this thing to my laptop, I've dropped 6 pounds from my carrying weight. Having to lug around a 15" laptop along with several books in a messenger bag takes a toll on the tension in your shoulders. Sure, I've used lighter laptops (11" and 12"), but unbelievably, even a couple of pounds makes all of the difference in the world for me. Since owning the tablet, I've turned my laptop on only a few times in the past week.

As for the tablet, like others have mentioned, it's new. As a new device, it will have its problems (which, if Samsung is to be a responsible manufacturer, they will iron out these out with time). This is why it is usually best, if you can, to wait and buy a device after it has been out for a couple of months or more (supposing that the manufacturer has actually tried to fix the issues with the initial runs). As for the software, I don't really experience too much lag on the home screen (it's hardly noticeable), but I do suffer from the awful keyboard lag on websites. I have patience and I'm hoping it will be fixed with the new update. Regardless, the majority of my experience has been overwhelmingly positive, but I am also not going to pretend it hasn't been without it's problems.

So... Does it have its drawbacks? Sure. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. Ought it to be for a $500 device? Maybe; maybe not. We can debate the merits of that over a cup of coffee some time. Is it perfect for you and your needs? In my case, yes.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You sir are the texbook poster boy of a fanboy. You really gve no useful information at all. Other than you don't like apple products. And mtp is garbage.

Where in my hurried response do you find the ravings of a fanboy, pray tell? I should like to know this of all things.

I bring up a point of fact, sir, fact cold and clear, that task killers being used as a common tool are antithetical to the smooth running of Android since version 2.0. They are a vestigial need. There is nothing partisan in this declaration, unless you are the author of the esteemed, profitable, and useless Advanced Task Killer and take umbrage at my statement.

Doubtless you noted that I'm openly critical of Google's choice of processor for Honeycomb, clearly rushed to market, as uttered by Google themselves.

Granted, that criticism defends Samsung somewhat, as the unsaid is that if Samsung wanted a Honeycomb tablet, they had to use Google's mandated processor. I vouchsafe the same with MTP support as found on the Galaxy Tab 10.1.

But this defense should not be construed as a slavish devotion to Samsung. I have had acrimonious things to say about Samsung in the past as well, though I daresay one would have to spend time reading my past diatribes on this and other forums to find such florid prose. But, if one is to respond to my most recent utterings in such a combative manner as yourself, one should perhaps research, to avoid reaching such absurd conclusions.

Yet, I criticize Apple as well, and I think this is the crux of your discontent. I shall do it again, for at this point, your contentment is of little consequence to me.

The fact that Apple willfully disallows the use of iPhones and iPads as portable storage is clearly not something done with the best interests of the consumer in mind. It is all about controlling the content and sale thereof. This is one of Apple's great financial strengths, but may end up being part of their ultimate ruin, as many people tend to chafe under a yoke, no matter how prettily it is dressed up in glass and aluminium. This is not the unhinged prattling of a contrarian, it is once again a statement of fact.

To conclude I posit this; if the mere utterance of faults made by Apple brands me as an adherent to some other, opposing cult, what does the utterance of criticism of Google make me? I prithee, grant me the answer.

Or shut the f*ck up, b*tch.
    i am happy with mine go back and use the ipad or maybe playbook or touchpad

Not trying to start a troll thread, but I'm honestly disappointed in this tablet. I was hoping for a true "ipad like" experience in terms of smoothness, and user interface but it's just not there. I've rooted the tab, loaded both touchwiz and bonsai roms, loaded the OC kernal, and nothing makes it smooth. there's lag in the home screen scrolling, there's lag in the typing, there's weird app lag, it really sucks. I hate iOS with a passion, but really covet the user interface. My Galaxy S II is very close, so close that I think it's the perfect phone, and samsung really nailed it.

It's just really annoying that i'm going to have to sell this tablet and go back to using a laptop... I had such high hopes. :(
    I agree about the software problems... but i dont agree when we talk about (previous page) "Buying a gadget for the future"
    If i want the tab for future, i will buy it in the future...
    1. it will be cheaper in the future
    2. there will be better devices in the future...

my wife has a iPhone 4 and i use a SGS2
    my wife has an iPad and i use a SG Tab 7" and purchased a 10.1

From my P.O.V (sounds like +18)

Every Apple device is perfect for everyone that just wants to have solid, stable device with a lot of apps and no need to flash roms etc...

Every Android device is perfect for everyone that has fun playing around, flashing, searching for the limits (even when i dont accept that there is a limit :) ) and customizing everything...

There are really times (when with clients etc.) where i think
    WHY DIDNT I BRING THE IPAD...
    and time where i think
    I LOVE MY SG TAB :)

There is No need to compare... Thats what i think...