Recent iPhone users who migrated to the GS3 - Favorite Features?

Search This thread

theraffman

Jul 22, 2011
I had a 3gs for a couple years and like most I liked it alot, but the battery ended up going funky and I was out of space. There really are only 2 gripes I have about Android over iphone

First is using it in the car, Iphones/Ipods just work better for this, to be able to just plug into my stereo USB and it charge and play music while showing the song info and being able to control from the radio itself is the biggest thing I miss, so much so I just leave my iPod in the car for my music and dont use the S3...sad...The other thing I miss is Apptrackr ...They have every app there is for iPhones, I have never not been able to find the app I want. The Android underground is lacking on that side of things, the options like blapk and all that is pretty ghetto. Torrents are not that much of a help either. But I suppose this is a whole other thread....I pretty much love everything else and Im glad I switched

The pros out weigh the cons for sure and I will not be going back to Iphone ever. I just hope that the whole car integration thing can be improved so I can ditch the ipod...

Agreed on the car integration, my iPhone would do the same on my car audio system, display all the info etc, my androids never did, but I just connect them through blue tooth, do is not a big deal, but I did wish they had the integration that iPhones do. But that fault lies with the stereo manufacturers, there are systems that do the same and more with android, but it makes sense for manufactures to go with iPhone, seeing as they only need to work with a few devices that guarantee a large compatibility... but this will change soon.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium

Sir_Brizz

Apr 14, 2009
Provo Area
I'm still not sold on battery life. I can't believe battery life has improved that much between the 4 and the 4S/5. With a similar usage pattern on the iPhone 4 as my GS3, the iPhone 4 tends to turn off 1-2 hours before my GS3 does. Granted, it is older. But I've never seen the iPhone 4 I have last more than 12 hours without turning off.

Meanwhile, I go 14-18 hours on my GS3 consistently. The only time I had "bad" battery life was one day where my screen on time was 5 hours. And I still got around 12 hours before I had to be plugged back in.

Sianspheric

Sep 21, 2012
The one big difference in terms of battery life that I did notice....is the amount of time it takes a GS3 to recharge.

Plugged in and charging my iPhone 4 could go from 0% to 100% with me occasionally checking it within 2 hours max. The thing recharged quite quickly.

With the same occasional usage it takes my GS3 about 4 hours or more for the same result. I don't know if the standard 2100/2200mah batteries for the GS3 are significantly bigger than iPhone 4 batteries.

But beyond the battery drainage, which can be extended or modified on either device based on closing apps and lowering brightness, etc. The recharging thing is hugely different, imo.

derberts

Jul 18, 2012
Switched to GS3 from a 4S.

Things I love about the GS3
-customizability
-screen size
-possibilities, I haven't even started using tasker, but the fact that you can install custom roms and kernels is just ridiculous
-how it plugs into your computer like a USB stick (itunes is possibly the worst program ever created, for me at least)
-being able to download music from mp3skull or other sites and have it play on any music player app
-jellybean > iOS6 all day every day
-the blacks on this SAMOLED display are superior
-notification tray where you can enable and disable wifi/bluetooth etc... (this is a big one as with the iphone you'd have to go into settings and all that)

Things I miss
-pictures seemed a bit more real on the iphone
-portability (this is a trade off really)
-compatible headsets and accessories (very few headsets with mics are compatible with the GS3)

I'm sure a I missed a lot but I can't think of them all right now.

theraffman

Jul 22, 2011
The one big difference in terms of battery life that I did notice....is the amount of time it takes a GS3 to recharge.

Plugged in and charging my iPhone 4 could go from 0% to 100% with me occasionally checking it within 2 hours max. The thing recharged quite quickly.

With the same occasional usage it takes my GS3 about 4 hours or more for the same result. I don't know if the standard 2100/2200mah batteries for the GS3 are significantly bigger than iPhone 4 batteries.

But beyond the battery drainage, which can be extended or modified on either device based on closing apps and lowering brightness, etc. The recharging thing is hugely different, imo.

My sgs3 charges incredibly fast, usually folly charged in about 2.5hrs and never ever over heats. I can be on phone calls, watch YouTube, stream Pandora or pay games while charging and no problem. On all my iPhones it would get so hot that it would sometimes shut off and give that over heat screen... plus my previous iPhones would seem to take forever to charge.

Additionally, I believe the iPhone only has a 1400mah battery, vs the sgs3 having a 2100mah, and my sgs3 still charges faster than any iPhone I have ever owned.

howtomen

Jan 10, 2011
Brea CA
For those with battery issues i felt the same way with my first android after my iphone (2 years ago) and what you have to do to get super awesome battery is find the right kernel and uv settings... it works wonders! If ur phone doesnt like uv then ur outta luck but all 3 of my androids seem to have liked it:p

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

Nwbie07

Jul 7, 2012
One of my favorite features is the customization of Android (Widgets, Themes etc). I am a recent iPhone fan switching over to Android. I still own a few Apple products. On the iPhone i can still customize it after Jailbreaking but the customization level is no where near as good as Android. The other attractive feature is Android phones tend to have bigger screen. Even the iPhone 5 still has a tiny screen (just taller). I want it wider.

Vanillamarble

Oct 2, 2012
I don't know why everyone is complaining about the battery life. Wih my iPhone, I would normally have to charge the thing at least once during the day. With my GS3 I can easily get through the day with 40-50% left with moderate to heavy usage. Maybe I'm just lucky or something. *knocks on wood* :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

diablo009

Apr 20, 2009
Atlanta GA
I don't know why everyone is complaining about the battery life. Wih my iPhone, I would normally have to charge the thing at least once during the day. With my GS3 I can easily get through the day with 40-50% left with moderate to heavy usage. Maybe I'm just lucky or something. *knocks on wood* :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

This surprised me too, coming from Android phones - Captivate, Infuse, etc. I come home in the evening from work with like ~40-50% battery left with about 2-3 hours screen usage time (on auto brightness) and multiple sync accounts.

waiters

Nov 9, 2011
Some things my iphone friends get jealous of:

That we have had panoramic for a year, and we can go up/down /left right and they can only go side to side..

Widgets

Nfc (after I show them Google wallet and my nfc tags)

Live wallpapers (don't personally use them but still fun to show people)

Ability to overclock, undervolt, and under clock.

More memory (64gb mem card, I show off 50gb of music and they freak out lol)

Sharing with all applications like from gallery upload photo to fb, twitter, email, etc etc. (they have this with fb only)

And cool apps like dsploit, droidsheep, zanti etc..

And blocking of ads (which I conveniently forget to tell them they can also once jaikbroken)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

0u7br3ak

What's an Iphone?

Open source to rule them all...

Android is Neo in matrix.
Iphone ur just in the matrix.

deliciousqt

Oct 1, 2012
Toronto
in no particular order:
1. customization
2. expandable memory
3. screen size
4. speed! (does that count? lol) i had an iphone 4 before my s3. what a difference! i

when i bought my s3, i always thought to myself that i would eventually go back to iOS, but after owing the s3 for 2 weeks, it's getting harder and harder to go back to apple.

mathewrice

Apr 2, 2009
Personal Preference

Favorite Features of the GS3:
  • Factory Unlocked Bootloader

Most Missed Features of the iPhone 4/4S & 5:
  • Aesthetics - its simply a more beautiful device

Reactions: MadRed
Agreed on the car integration, my iPhone would do the same on my car audio system, display all the info etc, my androids never did, but I just connect them through blue tooth, do is not a big deal, but I did wish they had the integration that iPhones do. But that fault lies with the stereo manufacturers, there are systems that do the same and more with android, but it makes sense for manufactures to go with iPhone, seeing as they only need to work with a few devices that guarantee a large compatibility... but this will change soon.

Ok guys I have no Idea what you're all talking about the gs3 comes with avcrp 1.4 stock. I have bluetooth in both of my cars and when I play music from my phone "wirelessly" not only is the sound great but I get all the metadata track, artist, album. I NEVER got that with my Iphone 4.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

I remember making ringtones on my iphone 4 how did it go again?

Choose song
open in itunes
song info
chop it down to 29 seconds
save in aac
put on desktop
make sure you can change file extensions
switch aac to mr4
open in itunes
upload to phone

10 steps

all I have to do now is longpress and set as ringtone

Imagine that!

metalhawj

Jul 12, 2012
Like: expandable memory, better emulators, capacitive buttons, nice camera, OPTIONS for different default Apps.

dislike: Apps arent built as good as in app store.
- stock UI is just garbage with so much bloatware. only tolerable with custom roms.
- For every cheap problem, there is a cheap solution, and there are plenty that come up here and there.
- S3 isnt very friendly with mac users
- MMS/SMS just plain sucks. every group message from iOS is sent as a MMS
- Love or hate for most people but I really dont like how every damn app can theme itself.
- every phone has its own rooting community.
- large screen is nice, but still a bit too big for me. slightly smaller would be perfect.

- people will flame for this buta rooted android phone is not as customizable as a jailbroken iphone.
1. a custom rom is really as far as you can go. whatever comes with the rom is what you get.
2. i dont count theming because both can do it.

this is based on my experience upgrading from iPhone 4 to S3 and how i personally use my phone.

rootyourphones

Sep 29, 2012
I love it ,how It crashes alot and battery drains.apps force close alot i specially i love how google wallet still doesn't work.my galaxy s3 is the best even it can't play nova 3, tomtom app doesn't work and i love to flash roms specially flashing recoveries just to get one rom to work.
I love it how my phone when im on a call and my screen stays black and i have to reboot all the time thats the best ever i so love it when it reboots itself i don't even have to touch a button its like magic and its the best feature on the device. I can go on and on it won best award for best worst phone ever and im proud of that.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

norbarb

Account currently disabled
Dec 22, 2011
Like: expandable memory, better emulators, capacitive buttons, nice camera, OPTIONS for different default Apps.

dislike: Apps arent built as good as in app store.
- stock UI is just garbage with so much bloatware. only tolerable with custom roms.
- For every cheap problem, there is a cheap solution, and there are plenty that come up here and there.
- S3 isnt very friendly with mac users
- MMS/SMS just plain sucks. every group message from iOS is sent as a MMS
- Love or hate for most people but I really dont like how every damn app can theme itself.
- every phone has its own rooting community.
- large screen is nice, but still a bit too big for me. slightly smaller would be perfect.

- people will flame for this buta rooted android phone is not as customizable as a jailbroken iphone.
1. a custom rom is really as far as you can go. whatever comes with the rom is what you get.
2. i dont count theming because both can do it.

this is based on my experience upgrading from iPhone 4 to S3 and how i personally use my phone.

I love it ,how It crashes alot and battery drains.apps force close alot i specially i love how google wallet still doesn't work.my galaxy s3 is the best even it can't play nova 3, tomtom app doesn't work and i love to flash roms specially flashing recoveries just to get one rom to work.
I love it how my phone when im on a call and my screen stays black and i have to reboot all the time thats the best ever i so love it when it reboots itself i don't even have to touch a button its like magic and its the best feature on the device. I can go on and on it won best award for best worst phone ever and im proud of that.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Why you even here ? Get back to iPhone. Why are you using something you don't like ?

Reactions: gotshoaib

jethro650

Dec 17, 2010
Why you even here ? Get back to iPhone. Why are you using something you don't like ?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I personally have helped several iPhone converts get started on android, its a big step and a lot of differences, some people have a hard time adapting to something different. To those who dislike it put your S3 up for sale and switch back to iPhone...its all personal preference anyway. Having said that and seeing the way this thread just turned
yny6edy7.jpg

norbarb

Account currently disabled
Dec 22, 2011
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I personally have helped several iPhone converts get started on android, its a big step and a lot of differences, some people have a hard time adapting to something different. To those who dislike it put your S3 up for sale and switch back to iPhone...its all personal preference anyway. Having said that and seeing the way this thread just turned
yny6edy7.jpg

That whay i said. If you don't like it why bodder. Get back to iPhone.
I switch from iPhone 3gs over year ago and i personaly will never get back. I even sold my iPad 2 to get sasmung tablet : Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. It is diffriend but i never complain about i try to find good things about android and now i know which is better in my opinion.

ikjadoon

Jul 4, 2012
Lenovo P11
You can download apps from your computer and they install on your phone without even touching it! :D

That just blew my mind in a thousand different ways.

--

Go SMS Pro can appropriately thread group MMS texts. I use ChompSMS because it's sleeker...I've emailed the developer to see if they think they can support it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys.

So it seems like a number of people here have recently migrated over from iPhone, just curious what are your all favorite features/apps since you switched over.

I used an iPhone 3 from 2008-2010 and then an iPhone 4 from 2008-Sept 2012. I was jailbroken on those devices but still pretty blown away by many Android functions. I loved loved loved my iPhone when I first got one, back in the day they were so damned ahead of the curve, but over time HTC/Samsung has caught up and they are no longer making truly impressive devices worthy of me overpaying for them, and to have the Nanny state of Apple telling me what apps I am capable of using. Those are the main reasons I made the switch. Although I still kind of miss the smaller size of my iPhone.

ANYWAYYYYS....things I love since I made the switch:

1. TORRENTS! You could never ever get a Torrent application from the Apple App Store. I use "adownloaded" via the Google Play Store. I love mainly the ability to switch between various torrent trackers and even grab torrents from some of the private torrent sites I use (ones for music / video). If I feel like listening to some old album I don't have on my PC at home, simple just grab the torrent. Forgot to DL the new Boardwalk Empire, just grab it off a tracker via Adownloader.

2. Power management options. Having an app to turn off power hog features (wifi, mobile data, gps, etc) when the screen is turned off and then booting them all back up quickly when I turn the screen back on. I use "Go Power Master" for this and love it. You don't need to be rooted to do it either.

3. Themes / visual customization. Animated backgrounds, etc. Some of those things were available to jailbroken (and JB saavy) iPhone users but it was extreeemly buggy and problematic when I tried to mess with visual display customization with my jailbroken iPhones. Here its entirely simple to do for non-root and root users.

4. Battery replacement / external memory. Bought 2 extra batteries and an external battery charger off ebay for only $20 all included. Yes maybe that's a testament to the...not so amazing battery life of the GS3, but I still love the option of having extra 100% charged batteries at home and in the office in case I forget to charge my GS3. Down to 10% and no time to charge? Pull off the ottebox and throw another battery in. Also love the external memory, bought a 32GB micro SD as soon as I got my GS3. Blows my mind that Apple charges $100 extra to go from 16gb to 32gb and to 64gb (when it's been proven online it only costs them $10 to raise the memory....a 90% margin customers have to pay....retarded. A lot of my iPhone devotee friends would just tell me to get the 16gb and keep all my extra music/movies "in the cloud". Fuuuuuuck that. Why blow my wireless data plan constantly DLing albums from my Cloud account rather than just having a phone with a decent amount of memory.

5. Video playback. GS3 has flawlessly played everything I've thrown at it, without any conversion. AVI's / XVID / X264 / MKV / VOB, MP4, alll of it. It's a far far cry from trying to get any bloody files to play on the iPhone, iTunes was so prickly with formats that even many .MP4's I downloaded wouldnt sync properly with iPhone. It was a major pain in the ass to throw videos on the iPhone because so many would require conversion. Even the third party apps in the app store that could play SOME AVI/XVID would get buggy and be unable to play back 50% of anything I threw at it.
    you guys got most the pros and cons pretty much right.

I think having had an iPhone for many years and now having a top-quality Android device, you really get to see that there are many pretty advantages to each device. I dont think the Apple fanboys or the "Fandroids" have a perfect case to make for each device. With the GS3 I sacrifice a few things that I loved about iPhone but the things and possibilities I get in return with Android / GS3 kind of blow me away.

but I'm learning there are some shortcuts to some of the "too many clicks" issues:

if you go into Contact and want to call someone quickly, the common gripe is you select a name and instead of it launching a call to that name, you go into the contact details. there are Swipe Left and Swipe Right features in Contacts. Look up a contact and Swipe Right and it should launch straight into a call, Swipe Left and it will start a text to that name.
    Admittedly, the slowdown and lag with Jellybean isn't as a common issue, but if you have it as I do it is very annoying. I will probably root after the warranty expires and possibly and hopefully that will fix the heat and slight lag issue.

Root makes everything better. ;)

Seriously. :D
    I had an iPhone since 2007. In the beginning, and up until recently they were amazing. I feel like every iteration since the iPhone 4 has gotten less and less innovative. The S3 has some amazing features and the fact that you can tweak it in every direction is pretty great. Android was new and weird at first coming from iOS but now that I'm more comfortable, its amazing.
    My favorite features of the S3 over iPhone 5:

Larger Screen:

This is a nice feature compared to the tiny iPhone 5 screen. This was one of the main reasons why I made the switch.

Colored LED Notifications:

This is a nice feature which doesn't exist on the iPhone 5. With the ability to customize the colors for of the different app notifications is a treat.

Removable Back Cover:

How nice it is to be able to swap/replace the battery with ease compared to the iPhone 5. Not to mention the difference in price replacing the back cover on each device.

Micro-USB vs. Apple proprietary cable:

Nuff said.

I could go on and on and on but since this is my first post on this forum, I will keep it short and sweet. ;)

-slimshotty