[Kernel][Apr 26] Perseus

Search This thread

AndreiLux

Jul 9, 2011
This is a direct port of my kernel on the international I9300 Galaxy S3 and sidekick to the international N7100/5 Note 2 kernels.

Recap of features:
  • CPU overclocking up to 1.8GHz and undervolting from 600mV to 1400mV.
  • GPU overclocking and undervolting.
  • GPU scaling reworked.
  • Screen sharpness and colour modifications.
  • Extended Pegasusq and improved Performance governors.
  • Removed Touch Booster and replaced with custom Flexrate mechanic.
  • Improved scheduler power management for improved idle residencies on auxiliary CPUs.
  • USB charging rate limit increased to 900mA.

This is supposed to be merely a proxy thread. Please refer to the N7100/5 thread for full changelogs, explanations, bug-reports and other issues. Kernel for specific device versions will be posted here.

This kernel is for the North American AT&T variant SGH-i317 and Canadian SGH-i317m for Rogers, Telus, Bell, and SaskTel. Versions for other variants are found in their respective forums.

Attachments

• Perseus-alpha36.3-i317.tar
    6.2 MB · Views: 2,184
  • Perseus-alpha36.3-i317-CWM.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 6,096
Last edited:
G

GuestK00336

@AndreiLux

Probably should mention in the op that this will work for i317m....to avoid it being asked a few times. There are many new users to Note 2.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jrockttu

Nov 7, 2007
Is the Zip flashable in TWRP? (I know some are only scripted for CWM). Answer=yes. I flashed in TWRP with no problems.

Also, has anybody flashed this yet? I am going to try it, but don't want to be the first! (Edit: I see blkghost is).

Has anybody that flashed it noticed if it eliminates the lag waking the phone from deep sleep? This is what I intend to test first on the kernel. Edit: nope

Last edited:
Reactions: BMEEKS

AndreiLux

Jul 9, 2011
@AndreiLux

Probably should mention in the op that this will work for i317m....to avoid it being asked a few times. There are many new users to Note 2.

Thanks!
I added it, thanks for the heads up. Usually all variants with a post-fix will work, as they only have ROM related differences.

And the zip also works with TWRP.

antiochasylum

Recognized Contributor
On this kernel... now wqiting game to see if its workimg... oc to 1800

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

Flash it yourself if you want to see he's provided stock kernels for you if you don't like it or want to revert.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

I added it, thanks for the heads up. Usually all variants with a post-fix will work, as they only have ROM related differences.

And the zip also works with TWRP.

@AndreiLux - I assume your compiling from 317 sources? Is your source on GH, or do you provide tar balls?

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I'll try to save people some headaches and questions (though I know most won't bother to read.)

You can use "setCPU" from the play store to set min/max speeds, voltages, etc.

On undervolting... Every SOC (processor) is different. You have to test your own, as the settings that work for someone else might crash yours. If you aren't comfortable doing that, you might just leave voltages alone. So far, I'm seeing much lower voltages (better undervolt) on my i317 when compared to my n7100. However, others with the n7100 were able to undervolt much further than I was. They all have the same SOC (processor.)

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

@AndreiLux - I assume your compiling from 317 sources? Is your source on GH, or do you provide tar balls?
You didn't read the OP?

edit: actually, that's kind of making assumptions... Follow the link in the OP for changelogs, etc. Source information is there as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: mhossein_khamesian

antiochasylum

Recognized Contributor
I'll try to save people some headaches and questions (though I know most won't bother to read.)

You can use "setCPU" from the play store to set min/max speeds, voltages, etc.

On undervolting... Every SOC (processor) is different. You have to test your own, as the settings that work for someone else might crash yours. If you aren't comfortable doing that, you might just leave voltages alone. So far, I'm seeing much lower voltages (better undervolt) on my i317 when compared to my n7100. However, others with the n7100 were able to undervolt much further than I was. They all have the same SOC (processor.)

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

You didn't read the OP?

I did. But why post it in the 7100 thread? It might confuse people. Granted they are 98% the same.

My fault then. Apologies.

Edit: I've been awake almost 30 hours. So possibly why I missed it and doesn't make sense to me. Lol.

Last edited:

jsho31

Aug 4, 2010
Plano, Texas
My friends running it on his t mobile note 2 and he said its great, hope its the same for us

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I did. But I'm lazy to click the link since I'm driving. Lol.
;) Actually, his GH might be a tiny bit out of date (depending on which USB/MTP drivers are in the kernel posted in the OP), but if it is, he's really good about getting it up to date.

If you're trying to recreate the work, config options are compiled into the procfs.

Gary

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

I did. But why post it in the 7100 thread?
n7100, n7105, tmobile variant, sprint variant, at&t variant, verizon variant... All using almost an identical kernel.

That's a lot of forums..

antiochasylum

Recognized Contributor
;) Actually, his GH might be a tiny bit out of date (depending on which USB/MTP drivers are in the kernel posted in the OP), but if it is, he's really good about getting it up to date.

If you're trying to recreate the work, config options are compiled into the procfs.

Gary

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

n7100, n7105, tmobile variant, sprint variant, at&t variant, verizon variant... All using almost an identical kernel.

That's a lot of forums..

To lazy to recreate. Lol.

Good point, guess I didn't think about the 6 different version of the note! Thanks for setting me straight Gary.

AndreiLux

Jul 9, 2011
I didn't touch the i317 sources, I'm using my own mix of bases. Gary is correct, as I stated in OP, I have a single base for the i9300, i9305, N7100, N7105, T889, L900, R950, i317. (And Verizon variant also probably coming up...)

The current sources on GH are up to date except for the USB Gadget ones affecting MTP, I'll upload that once it passes through the other devices, as they might still need changing due to OSX. They're the newest stock ones anyway.

I kindly remind people that this is supposed to be just a proxy thread for the N7100 thread. The only reason I'm posting it here is that I'm trying to minimize the stupidity of people in flashing the wrong versions, and to increase its visibility.

blkghost22

Jan 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Flash it yourself if you want to see he's provided stock kernels for you if you don't like it or want to revert.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

ummm I did flash it, I was one of the first to jump on to it and just flash. I don't think I have menetioned that I didn't like. Only thing I said was now is just a waiting game due to the fact after flashing everything needs to settle in. I do not understand where you got the idea where I didn't flash it and where I didn't like it. Of course I know the stock kernel is there since I do read everything. *unlike someone* yes I had typo's since I barely woke up and just hopped right on to it

Last edited:

llsektorll

Aug 1, 2009
Saskatoon
Confirmed the Kernal is giving me a boost from ~5400 Quadrant Standard Benchmark to ~6200. A noticable boost in framerate. Time to test with NFS: Most Wanted.

Reactions: otisman

bwells88

Apr 28, 2008
Port McNeill
Flashed and it running great... I've noticed some improvement in waking from a sleep state... 8)

Thanks for your work...

Sent from my SGH-I317M using xda premium

---------- Post added at 04:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 AM ----------

I got a 6324 on Quadrant... sweetness!

Sent from my SGH-I317M using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a direct port of my kernel on the international I9300 Galaxy S3 and sidekick to the international N7100/5 Note 2 kernels.

Recap of features:
    • CPU overclocking up to 1.8GHz and undervolting from 600mV to 1400mV.
    • GPU overclocking and undervolting.
    • GPU scaling reworked.
    • Screen sharpness and colour modifications.
    • Extended Pegasusq and improved Performance governors.
    • Removed Touch Booster and replaced with custom Flexrate mechanic.
    • Improved scheduler power management for improved idle residencies on auxiliary CPUs.
    • USB charging rate limit increased to 900mA.

This is supposed to be merely a proxy thread. Please refer to the N7100/5 thread for full changelogs, explanations, bug-reports and other issues. Kernel for specific device versions will be posted here.

This kernel is for the North American AT&T variant SGH-i317 and Canadian SGH-i317m for Rogers, Telus, Bell, and SaskTel. Versions for other variants are found in their respective forums.
    STWEAKS PROFILES! and proper bootloop fix.

Alright! now that Perseus Kernel .28 is out we have a new added feature that lets us implement override profiles!

What does this mean?
    Well now this UNCHECK SET ON BOOT zip will actually just update your current default.profile and uncheck the set on boot options.
    Which makes it the best fix for a bootloop, because you can then go back in to your old settings that failed and modify them.

I also am going to be generating 5 profiles. (will edit this post)
    Each more aggressive overclocking and undervolting.
    For people who are unsure of how to do do this properly with Stweaks,
    You can just flash any of my profiles.
    I recommend you download them all start at 5 and flash, if you bootloop or crash move up a profile until your stable!

Profile 5G is the one I run everyday (and is the lowest values for voltages)
    It also is 200-1800 mhz overclocked and gpu 160-640 mhz
    My custom governor tweaks (I believe the cpu is too aggressive and also the cores dont respond as much as id like to see them responding, 1 core on idle, 4 cores when needed.)

Profile 5 is the one I run everyday (and is the lowest values for voltages)
    It also is 200-1800 mhz overclocked and gpu 160-640 mhz
    STOCK governor settings

Profile 4 is slightly less aggressive on the voltages
    200-1800 mhz 160-640

Profile 3 is slightly less aggressive on the voltage curve
    200-1800mhz 160-533

Profile 2 is slightly less aggressive on the voltage curve
    200-1600mhz 160-533

Profile 1 is slightly less aggressive on the voltage curve
    200-1600mhz 160-533

Profile 0 is the DEFAULT profile the kernel came with. (it just deletes your profile and rebuilds it so its safe for all versions inlcuding S3-i9000)

EDIT: I have also included a zip with just the governor tweaks, these will not alter your voltages on cpu/gpu and will not change your max cpu

custom governor tweaks detailed below:
    here is my logic

defaults parameter mine
    30000 sampling rate 20000
    82 up threshold 90
    5 down diff 10
    40% thres for response 81
    1200 freq for fast down 1600
    95 up thres fast down 98
    37 up step 18
    6 splice amount 4
    13 down diff 8

With the default settings when the load is measured if the cpu load is over 82% off current freq step it will scale up.
    New logic added in perseus .27 now gives us 3 up steps instead of just a fixed one.
    so your cpu will step up more aggressively based on how much above the threshold it is, not just if its over, this is
    great.

Right now, if we are coming in with a
    load of 83%-88% we increase freq by 300mHz
    if we are 89-94% we increase freq by 400 mHz and
    if we are 94-100% then we increase freq by 700 mHz.
    This is too fast for me.
    For a few reasons the main one being that the amount we jump has gone up because our max cpu is 1800 instead of 1600 (at 1600 the jump ups are 200,300,600mhz)

The logic I use on my N2 is as follows:
    Load of 90-94 = 100 mhz jump
    load of 95-98 = 200 mhz jump
    load of 99-100 = 400 mhz jump

The responsiveness of the phone is not compromised at all, the cpu just steps up less and only when it has really high loads.
    It still gets to 1800 and does many operations there, but it comes out of 1800 fast and when it jumps down it jumps down further.
    The fastdown has been upped from 1200 to 1600 , meaning it now requires 98% or higher load to jump up when above 1600 mhz not 1200 mhz, I found that the CPU was always in 1800 or like way lower,
    never in the 1700 - 1200 range as it used to need 95% load to be in that range.
    The cores hotplug has been slightly changed to turn off cores quicker when not in use and takes more samples to turn them on so they only turn on if load exists for longer duration of time.

PLEASE NOTE
    Flashing any of these zips OTHER THEN THE UNCHECK SET ON BOOT will REMOVE your STWEAKS settings and replace them with the profile. PLEASE back up your profile if you want to save it.
    Where is it?
    /data/.perseus/default.profile << back this guy up. rename to default.profile2 works. or copy to sdcard.

Due to the way that these changes are applied (at initial boot) it will take longer then usual to display the boot animation for the first boot after changing profile.
    This also means that you cannot flash 2 of these files in one boot, for example profile 3 and the governor tweaks.
    You would need to flash the governor tweaks or the profile first and then reboot, and then flash the other.
    Re: [Kernel][Feb 26] Perseus

White looks a little red ish. Not sure if it's just me.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

There were some setting that someone over in the other Perseus thread posted and they help subdue the redish tint.

I'll see if I can find them and post back here.

OK here is what the settings were:

In the screen settings enable register hook and enable master sequence. don't change anything else. Go down to chroma saturation weight and change the gains as following:

red gain=5
    green gain=5
    blue gain=10
    yellow gain=5
    cyan gain=7
    magenta gain =7

then go down to white colour balance
    red in white= -13
    green in white = -15
    blue in white= +7

If you like them give tainka a thanks.

Sent from Mars
    great to see an OC kernel

hope it continues to evolve and improve... and maybe i'll see a better way to alter GPU other than scouring the forum for scripts...
    You will have a configuration app within a few days.
    Updated to 31.2; same changes as on the S3:

Samsung's fix for the sudden death syndrome (SDS) included. It is caused by eMMC failure on phones with VTU00M 16GB internal memory chips with revision 0xF1. You can check your phone with the "eMMC Brickbug Check" in the Play Store (Ignore the message if it says you're not affected, the type and revision is what matters). The patch is a firmware soft-patch that is applied on every boot and MMC resume, it is not a permanent fix. You will need to stay forever on kernels which include the patch, this also includes updated recoveries and their embedded kernels.

I also removed the stock kernels from the first post as they are outdated and dangerous.