Inject root in stock updates possible

Search This thread

hansonmi

Jul 5, 2010
Michigan, USA
Does anyone know if it is at all possible to inject root into the updates that are available from Asus's website? Like to download the full update from Asus website, extract the system image and put the SU binary in there and repack then run the update on the tablet? I know the SU binary for ICS works with the latest OTA update so logically i would think it to be possible... especially since there are root injected stock roms available for various phones that i own (ie. SGS III).

I just would think it would be easier to inject root into the stock downloaded updates and install them instead of having to always go back to ICS and re-root and stuff if the latest OTA fails like mine did, causing me to manually update which also wiped out my SU backup that Rootkeeper made...

If it is possible to make root injected updates, any tips on how to go about doing it and where the SU binary and other files need to be located in the image?

Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
Does anyone know if it is at all possible to inject root into the updates that are available from Asus's website?

It is possible, but you can't sign the modified package with the correct key, so you could only apply them to unlocked devices.

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
It is possible, but you can't sign the modified package with the correct key, so you could only apply them to unlocked devices.
Can you kindly elaborate ? Are you referring to Unlocked Bootloaders or Network Unlocked phones ? Either way, won't APK Multi Tool be able to Sign the file ?

What I have is a device with Locked Bootloader and no Network lock (to my knowledge). I have its Stock update.zip that I'd like to inject Root into.

_that

Oct 2, 2012
Can you kindly elaborate ? Are you referring to Unlocked Bootloaders or Network Unlocked phones ? Either way, won't APK Multi Tool be able to Sign the file ?

What I have is a device with Locked Bootloader and no Network lock (to my knowledge). I have its Stock update.zip that I'd like to inject Root into.

You need an unlocked bootloader. The locked bootloader checks for the Asus digital signature - so any signing tool would help you only if you somehow obtain Asus' private key.

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
You need an unlocked bootloader. The locked bootloader checks for the Asus digital signature - so any signing tool would help you only if you somehow obtain Asus' private key.
Ah! I see. In my Case I don't have ASUS Transformer. Rather I have Smartstick. I believe Its bootloader does not do this Check. So I should be ok inserting su binary into /system/bin with correct compression.

Question though, other than Inserting SU Binary and SuperSU in /System/app, is there anything else I need to be doing in order to Root my Stock Rom ?

_that

Oct 2, 2012
Ah! I see. In my Case I don't have ASUS Transformer.

This is the TF700 forum.

So I should be ok inserting su binary into /system/bin with correct compression.

Question though, other than Inserting SU Binary and SuperSU in /System/app, is there anything else I need to be doing in order to Root my Stock Rom ?

If your device supports flashing of unsigned ROM images, then that's it - you only need the su binary with the correct permissions (with the SUID bit set) and SuperSU - in whatever format your device accepts ROM images. But that's off topic here.

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
This is the TF700 forum.
Yes I know. My device is Orphan! :p There's no forum for it....

If your device supports flashing of unsigned ROM images, then that's it - you only need the su binary with the correct permissions (with the SUID bit set) and SuperSU - in whatever format your device accepts ROM images. But that's off topic here.
What is
"SUID Bit Set"
Please ?

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis