Verizon update rolling out now: Build VS98012B

Search This thread

simon_lefisch

Dec 8, 2010
ioroot13 is out. maybe that can be used to root the new OTA? i would try it myself but my phone is messed up and im waiting for my replacement :eek:

BreakingVZW

Jul 7, 2012
Carmel
incorrect, I did that and then took the update and its showing as rooted...I believe I should still be able to get kit kit when it comes out OTA right? again I was rooted, did the stock back step by step and then when I took this update it showed rooted.

My statement was based off info a dev posted in the go back to stock thread.

I can't definitively say if the ota would flash properly on 4.4. If you have stock recovery it should be okay. You might lose root though so I'd wait 4 a rooted stock ota zip. I'm waiting on one for the current ota.

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

I get an error "Err:0X1111004"

I am rooted, I have used VooDoo to unroot, reboot, then try the OTA still get same error. Same error each time I try the OTA.

You have stock recovery right? Has to be stock.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

How or were can we get stock recovery?

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

Download stock Rom zip. Open the zip and find signed_recovery.zip and drag that to your phone's sd card. Then download flashify and flash the signed_recovery.img. reboot into recovery and you should see stock recovery. Just tested myself before posting. Worked.

Reactions: hd-renegade

chairthrower

Aug 17, 2010
Did you by chance replace HotspotProvision.apk with the one that doesn't check with Verizon? I had done that, and when I moved the stock file and the .odex file back into place, I stopped getting the error and the update went. Root was preserved and I was able to put the modified .apk back.

I get an error "Err:0X1111004"

I am rooted, I have used VooDoo to unroot, reboot, then try the OTA still get same error. Same error each time I try the OTA.

hd-renegade

Aug 31, 2012
Waynesville
Did you by chance replace HotspotProvision.apk with the one that doesn't check with Verizon? I had done that, and when I moved the stock file and the .odex file back into place, I stopped getting the error and the update went. Root was preserved and I was able to put the modified .apk back.

Yes yes and yes. Thank you very much for that info. I am pretty sure I even saved the old files, so I will try that.

Thank you very much!!

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Again thank you very much. I put the old files back, ran the OTA, it worked fine, never lost root. Rebooted, put the Hot Spot files back in place tested the phone and everything is good. !!!!!

Merry Christmas !!!!!

wizzcap

Oct 28, 2013

thanks dude! I temp un-rooted with voodoo, hotspot is still working and root wasn't broken.

krazie1

Jun 5, 2010
I pulled down the update, scheduled install for later, then moved all the files,to a dummy folder on my sdcard and froze the updater. File itself is 173M & it's a .bin so if someone wants to take a look shoot me a pm

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

You can't pull the update and upload it somewhere for Devs?

jkatt

Mar 3, 2008
Milwaukee
Yes yes and yes. Thank you very much for that info. I am pretty sure I even saved the old files, so I will try that.

Thank you very much!!

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Again thank you very much. I put the old files back, ran the OTA, it worked fine, never lost root. Rebooted, put the Hot Spot files back in place tested the phone and everything is good. !!!!!

Merry Christmas !!!!!

Dang...can't find my original hot spot files...
Edit...I think I found them can anyone verify the original apk is about 69.05kb

Last edited:

doublej713

Jun 24, 2012
Verizon LG V10
LG V20
I decided to start from square 1 and see how things went. Performed the verizon return to stock (the one with the tot file). Then I took the 2 OTA updates. I downloaded ioroot13 and tried to root, but it said I didn't have a supported version. I opened up the .bat file and found the verizon section and added a new line to direct performing the vzwotaroot for 12B (if %OTAVER%==VS98012B GOTO VZWOTARoot). I crossed my fingers and ran it. It worked. I performed a root check and it passed. The phone said "ROOTED". I was able to modify system files. Haven't had much time to play around to make sure everything works fine, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

The one thing I am still working on is the custom recovery. The loki flash method does not seem to work. When I go to flash it tells me something like "Loki aboot version does not match device." I tried using flashify to flash the recovery but it seemed to prevent my device from booting so I did the whole thing over again. Might try flashify again but use the flash zip method instead.

Reactions: jesssiii

sipock97

Dec 1, 2012
I decided to start from square 1 and see how things went. Performed the verizon return to stock (the one with the tot file). Then I took the 2 OTA updates. I downloaded ioroot13 and tried to root, but it said I didn't have a supported version. I opened up the .bat file and found the verizon section and added a new line to direct performing the vzwotaroot for 12B (if %OTAVER%==VS98012B GOTO VZWOTARoot). I crossed my fingers and ran it. It worked. I performed a root check and it passed. The phone said "ROOTED". I was able to modify system files. Haven't had much time to play around to make sure everything works fine, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

The one thing I am still working on is the custom recovery. The loki flash method does not seem to work. When I go to flash it tells me something like "Loki aboot version does not match device." I tried using flashify to flash the recovery but it seemed to prevent my device from booting so I did the whole thing over again. Might try flashify again but use the flash zip method instead.

Be careful, I have an S3 and the latest ota is bricking phones if you try to unlock bootloader. Not sure if it's a Samsung or a Verizon thing, or a combination of both. I have had my eye on the G2 though... Looks nice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

simon_lefisch

Dec 8, 2010

nice! let us know how the zip flash worked out.

doublej713

Jun 24, 2012
Verizon LG V10
LG V20
Be careful, I have an S3 and the latest ota is bricking phones if you try to unlock bootloader. Not sure if it's a Samsung or a Verizon thing, or a combination of both. I have had my eye on the G2 though... Looks nice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks for the warning. I have a very superficial understanding of all this stuff, but as it stands for the G2 right now I'm pretty sure that the bootloader is only being bypassed and not technically unlocked. I could be all messed up though.

As for the recovery attempts... I tried the 2nd option of the TWRP thread (just pushing the recovery) and that didn't work. Tried the flashify zip method and that needs there to be a working recovery (duh) and I gave the CWM recovery a shot, all with no success.

Guess we'll just have to wait a few hours until someone gets something figured out. All I have really been using the recovery for is to flash the LGBrowser and Split view (both things I really like though).

fhblake04

Sep 16, 2013
Replacing the modified provision for the stock one did the trick. I re-installed the modified provision after the OTA and all is well again. Thanks for that suggestion, I had my suspicions. I never installed superuser and was able to keep root, FYI.

Reactions: simon_lefisch

simon_lefisch

Dec 8, 2010
Replacing the modified provision for the stock one did the trick. I re-installed the modified provision after the OTA and all is well again. Thanks for that suggestion, I had my suspicions. I never installed superuser and was able to keep root, FYI.

So were you able to get a custom recovery loaded? If so, can you be a little more specific as to what you did? maybe a step by step?

Last edited:

jordache16

Dec 15, 2011
Iowa
Downloaded the update tonight. Noticed a few more things not mentioned in the change log:

-New Biz theme (pretty sure there was just the two themes before: Basic and Marshmallow)

-File Manager is now a QSlide app

-Black is now an option as the home button background

-Text Link guide in the messaging app

-New analog clock widgets (don't recall seeing these before anyways)

-Camera app quick settings seem like they are a little different

Sent from my VS980 4G using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387610587258.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387610587258.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 459
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387610970678.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387610970678.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 447
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387611000157.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387611000157.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 446
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387611025512.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387611025512.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 436
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387611101943.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387611101943.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 434
Reactions: 06stang and BOY_

jordache16

Dec 15, 2011
Iowa
Here is what the messaging QSlide app looks like and some screenshots of the camera app.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387611622850.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387611622850.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 460
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387611636087.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387611636087.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 449
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387611645030.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387611645030.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 440
Reactions: jonstrong

dplane

Apr 30, 2012
Motor City
Has anyone who does not have a custom recovery n stalled but is rooted w items such as greenify and xposed running tried installing the OTA? Saw a guy on the AC forums who claims it did not break root. Especially the reported improved voice quality and speaker sound appealing.

Last edited:

talon95

Dec 7, 2008
So far in the few hours I've had the update installed, the screen knock on has not failed even once (needing to tap 3 or more times). Maybe a coincidence, but I don't recall it ever being this reliable before.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finially

Well apparently I'm finally able to flash 4.4.2 roms while in 12b. This is what I did and after I successfully installed 4.4.2 and booted. I completely redid the whole process to make sure it really works also.

from stock 10b, updated to 11a, then to 12b. rooted using ioroot15.zip. switched from Superuser to SuperSU. installed freegee from the play store. flashed twrp 2.6.3.3 which after booting into twrp lists 2.6.3.0 (but it must indeed be 2.6.3.3 if it flashes 4.4.2 roms.) booted into twrp wiped Dalvik Cache, data, cache. (I did NOT wipe system) I usually do but I didn't this time. Wiped dalvik cache, data, cache, Three times then flashed my favorite 4.4.2 rom cm-11-20131224-UNOFFICIAL-vs980 which has gapps already included. twrp installed the rom and gapps then I rebooted and it worked. Good luck Thanks for the Great work Dev. Will definitely support. Thanks again especially BreakingVZW and Shelnutt and the whole xda developer community.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year !!!!!!
    Downloaded the update tonight. Noticed a few more things not mentioned in the change log:

-New Biz theme (pretty sure there was just the two themes before: Basic and Marshmallow)

-File Manager is now a QSlide app

-Black is now an option as the home button background

-Text Link guide in the messaging app

-New analog clock widgets (don't recall seeing these before anyways)

-Camera app quick settings seem like they are a little different

Where does it DL to on the phone??

cache/fota

Hey doublej,

Glad to hear root worked for you on the new OTA 12B. I would like to try what you did but just wanted to make sure I understand.
    I got ioroot14 and looking at it I see.

PHP:
    :VZWRoot
    echo Found VZW phone!
    echo.
    echo Checking OTA version...
    for /f %%i in ('.\adb.exe shell getprop ro.lge.swversion') do set OTAVER=%%i
    if %OTAVER%==VS98010B GOTO VZWStockRoot
    if %OTAVER%==VS98011A GOTO VZWOTARoot
    GOTO VZWNoMatch

So all you did was change it to the below and save then run it and you were rooted?

PHP:
    :VZWRoot
    echo Found VZW phone!
    echo.
    echo Checking OTA version...
    for /f %%i in ('.\adb.exe shell getprop ro.lge.swversion') do set OTAVER=%%i
    if %OTAVER%==VS98010B GOTO VZWStockRoot
    if %OTAVER%==VS98011A GOTO VZWOTARoot
    if %OTAVER%==VS98012B GOTO VZWOTARoot
    GOTO VZWNoMatch

Any help you could provide would be appreciated. Thank you.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

Hey yup just saw your other post and replied to it above. Take a look and let me know if that looks ok. That is exactly what I want is the tether bypass hahaah.

That is exactly what I did. Took the chance and it paid off. Good luck.

I pulled down the update, scheduled install for later, then moved all the files,to a dummy folder on my sdcard and froze the updater. File itself is 173M & it's a .bin so if someone wants to take a look shoot me a pm