Would you recommend the kindle fire hdx over the nexus 7?

Search This thread

michael74195

Oct 25, 2013
I really want to get this tablet but my only gripe with it is the lack of development support on this compared to the nexus 7 (no offence to anyone who works hard on this tablet). This will be my first tablet since the ipad 1st gen but i have had the razr hd and s4 which have had a lot of support for roms and customization. Would you recommend this tablet over the nexus 7?

edit: Kijiji has a blacklisted hdx fire 8.9 for $200 is it worth getting and will it still work if I can get google play store installed on it, or is it too good to be true?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2014
Newport Pagnell
I was bought the hdx7 for Christmas by my partner. I like my tech, but I think I would have rather had the nexus.
After about a week I got fed up with the carousel and amazon app store and the complete removal of google so I decided to give modding a go using some of the guides on this site.

I gotta say, If I had a nexus, I wouldn't have bothered modding it, but the Fire has been a fun, anger filled experience.

The 7 you can defo get google apps running on as mine runs perfectly well now, the 8.9, as I understand isn't as developed as the 7, but I'm sure I saw that people have rooted at least. Check about the forum

dcoig1

Dec 23, 2013
I was bought the hdx7 for Christmas by my partner. I like my tech, but I think I would have rather had the nexus.
After about a week I got fed up with the carousel and amazon app store and the complete removal of google so I decided to give modding a go using some of the guides on this site.

I gotta say, If I had a nexus, I wouldn't have bothered modding it, but the Fire has been a fun, anger filled experience.

The 7 you can defo get google apps running on as mine runs perfectly well now, the 8.9, as I understand isn't as developed as the 7, but I'm sure I saw that people have rooted at least. Check about the forum

The hdx 7 and 8.9 are both about equal right now. You can do pretty much what you want with google apps. It's just that you will most likely lose some amazon apps and at least the amazon app store. With multiple "roms" or a script you can switch between stock amazon and gapps on the 7" but mostly it's not all perfect yet. However, many people are happy with the current state of "mostly works" and so we aren't seeing much new development. It's nice being able to use some of the amazon stuff... and the kindle hdx hardware is excellent.

A nexus 7 should not disappoint and will not be as much of a headache. One click root and full recovery options are definately luxuries we wish the kindle could be afforded. Not to mention real roms that can use the entirety of the storage of the device. When/if the Kindle is fully sorted out, I'd say it will be better because of the hardware... until then, there is a lot of painful work around.

goodayoo

Apr 13, 2013
yes I would, the hdx has a snapdragon 800 in it while the 7 has only the old APQ8064 ,the GPU part is quite a deference.

and hdx will have original android sooner or later.

djsamsel

Mar 28, 2011
i have both and latest iPad Air

i received a gift this year to spend on tech and got an iPad Air, a Nexus 7 and a 7 Fire HDX. (i could get both N7 and HDX for price of iPad Mini) I'm pretty much an apple fan-boy (i've built 3 or 4 hackintoshes, have a MacBook Pro, wife has an MBP Air, Apple TV, and airport's around the house for whole house music). i love the iPad Air - by far the finest piece of quality tech of the 3, but i seldom take it out of the house.

to run around with, i'm finding myself reaching for the N7. So far, I've had none of the QC issues that some sites are reporting. the stock interface i'm finding more useful than even the iPad Air, with the widgets and such. the OS is still not as bullet-proof as iOS, nor quite as smooth. but, it's come a long way from the first couple of years.

the HDX also feels like a quality piece of gear. the guts and specs are amazing. i really like the feel of the device, love the screen, the sound, and even like the button placement that others have complained about. i love amazon (have a prime membership) but FIREOS sucks. it's just not as intuitive and useful of an interface. the only person i'd recommend this to is someone who is totally new to tablets, only wants to view content, and is not tech davy. with Mayday it's basically the perfect device for my 77 year old mom. i'm going to hold on to my HDX for another month or so in hopes of a better custom ROM, but if nothing comes up it's going up for sale on craigslist.

if i could have only one, i'd have a really hard time parting with the N7. for the price, i think it's the best deal going.

Reactions: Damocles66

tootone

Jul 5, 2010
I currently own both of these devices. The HDX beats the nexus 7 in sheer hardware pound for pound. PLUS the nexus 7 is plagued with touchscreen and wifi issues that have pissed me off pretty badly. The HDX with the google experience launcher and the playstore is fantastic. None of the general lag I got on the nexus 7. None of the hardware issues.

I get some backlight coming through the edges on both devices though. However the nexus 7 is worse.

The HDX has some problems with some apps.

The nexus 7 you can install many custom roms.

I hope this helps a bit. I do want to say one lats thing though, the HDX feels SOOO much smoother. I can literally feel the lag when tabbing through things on the nexus 7, the hdx has none of that. That's not to say that the nexus 7 is horribly laggy, it's just noticeable to me.

Reactions: oloung1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i have both and latest iPad Air

i received a gift this year to spend on tech and got an iPad Air, a Nexus 7 and a 7 Fire HDX. (i could get both N7 and HDX for price of iPad Mini) I'm pretty much an apple fan-boy (i've built 3 or 4 hackintoshes, have a MacBook Pro, wife has an MBP Air, Apple TV, and airport's around the house for whole house music). i love the iPad Air - by far the finest piece of quality tech of the 3, but i seldom take it out of the house.

to run around with, i'm finding myself reaching for the N7. So far, I've had none of the QC issues that some sites are reporting. the stock interface i'm finding more useful than even the iPad Air, with the widgets and such. the OS is still not as bullet-proof as iOS, nor quite as smooth. but, it's come a long way from the first couple of years.

the HDX also feels like a quality piece of gear. the guts and specs are amazing. i really like the feel of the device, love the screen, the sound, and even like the button placement that others have complained about. i love amazon (have a prime membership) but FIREOS sucks. it's just not as intuitive and useful of an interface. the only person i'd recommend this to is someone who is totally new to tablets, only wants to view content, and is not tech davy. with Mayday it's basically the perfect device for my 77 year old mom. i'm going to hold on to my HDX for another month or so in hopes of a better custom ROM, but if nothing comes up it's going up for sale on craigslist.

if i could have only one, i'd have a really hard time parting with the N7. for the price, i think it's the best deal going.
    I currently own both of these devices. The HDX beats the nexus 7 in sheer hardware pound for pound. PLUS the nexus 7 is plagued with touchscreen and wifi issues that have pissed me off pretty badly. The HDX with the google experience launcher and the playstore is fantastic. None of the general lag I got on the nexus 7. None of the hardware issues.

I get some backlight coming through the edges on both devices though. However the nexus 7 is worse.

The HDX has some problems with some apps.

The nexus 7 you can install many custom roms.

I hope this helps a bit. I do want to say one lats thing though, the HDX feels SOOO much smoother. I can literally feel the lag when tabbing through things on the nexus 7, the hdx has none of that. That's not to say that the nexus 7 is horribly laggy, it's just noticeable to me.