shattered my S4 screen

Search This thread

Powell730

Dec 6, 2010
basically as the title says... I dropped my phone and shattered the screen at the top and bottom corners... it's still operable at the moment but it'll get worse over time. I have an upgrade available on my account that I can use or I could enter the Verizon edge program... I really don't know what i should do. it's obvious the edge program is only useful if I upgrade every ~12 months and I have a tendency to switch phones quite often but with a newborn son I may lose interest in upgrading/getting new phones so much... I'm mostly looking at the HTC M8 only because ive had the galaxy for a while and im ready for something other than touchwiz. use upgrade, pay 250 and sign another 2 year contract or enter Verizon edge program and pay nothing now and be able to upgrade again in a year... opinions?

TidusWulf

Sep 21, 2010
Seattle, WA
Edge is regarded by most as a waste of money. you're always going to pay at least half of full retail, which is always more than the 2 yr contract price.

but more importantly, think about this: Maybe Edge is exactly what you want. Maybe you'll do it for the next 5 years and go thru 5 awesome phones. and then maybe then you'll want to save money and switch to another carrier. Hey, you're not on contract. go ahead. but if you get a high end device that's $700 full, and it's been 1 year, you've paid $350 so far, and you're still gonna owe $350 to cut loose, where as if you went the 2 year contract, you maybe for the phone paid $99 (instead of $350 over 12 months), and the ETF with Verizon will only be $230 so basically, you save, after the ETF, around $370. So Edge is great... for people who plan to keep doing edge/jump/whatever every year until they die, never changing carriers. Oh, and if a carrier (Tmobile) offers to buy out your contract and pay your ETF, guess what? an installment plan is not a termination fee. you're on your own, buddy. I'm not trying to sound overly dramatic, but that's the math, man.

finally, Edge is NOT "pay nothing up front". you pay tax on the full price, and you pay the first month's payment up front as well. since you're always billed one month in advance with Verizon, if you didn't pay the first month in store, you next bill would be 2 months worth of payments. Carriers take the first month up front to prevent bill-shock

so that's my feelings towards edge (I used to work in the Cell industry. quit late last year.). As for the M8, this phone rules. why? there's 1000 reviews already out there, so I'm not gonna bother with the why.

Powell730

Dec 6, 2010
Edge is regarded by most as a waste of money. you're always going to pay at least half of full retail, which is always more than the 2 yr contract price.

but more importantly, think about this: Maybe Edge is exactly what you want. Maybe you'll do it for the next 5 years and go thru 5 awesome phones. and then maybe then you'll want to save money and switch to another carrier. Hey, you're not on contract. go ahead. but if you get a high end device that's $700 full, and it's been 1 year, you've paid $350 so far, and you're still gonna owe $350 to cut loose, where as if you went the 2 year contract, you maybe for the phone paid $99 (instead of $350 over 12 months), and the ETF with Verizon will only be $230 so basically, you save, after the ETF, around $370. So Edge is great... for people who plan to keep doing edge/jump/whatever every year until they die, never changing carriers. Oh, and if a carrier (Tmobile) offers to buy out your contract and pay your ETF, guess what? an installment plan is not a termination fee. you're on your own, buddy. I'm not trying to sound overly dramatic, but that's the math, man.

finally, Edge is NOT "pay nothing up front". you pay tax on the full price, and you pay the first month's payment up front as well. since you're always billed one month in advance with Verizon, if you didn't pay the first month in store, you next bill would be 2 months worth of payments. Carriers take the first month up front to prevent bill-shock

so that's my feelings towards edge (I used to work in the Cell industry. quit late last year.). As for the M8, this phone rules. why? there's 1000 reviews already out there, so I'm not gonna bother with the why.

soooooo..... get the m8 but use my available upgrade? lol...

thunderbls

Sep 8, 2012
I couldn't be happier with my m8.. I had the s4 previously the only down side is cropping photos with this camera it can be pixely. If you do get the m8 I recommend that you really look at where the speaker grill on top and bottom meet the screen. make sure it's flush this may be just me being picky but I have seen a few that were slightly raised above the screen and it kind of sticks out. Play some music and make sure the sound isn't distorted at a higher volume. I had a couple friends that noticed some static but had to make the trip back for an exchange. There are a number of threads about build quality you can read. sorry to hear your screen shattered on your s4.

Reactions: Powell730

brandogg

Jul 27, 2008
Don't know where you get $250 from (unless you're not up for a new device), the M8 is $99 with 2 year contract.

85gallon

I don't know where you get that he is going to pay $350 for the phone on edge the first year.

I just got on the early edge upgrade and they offer a $10/month discount off of the $25/month price.(That is for the 3 gig plan. Discount is steeper on higher data plans) So I am paying $15/month for my M8. I will have paid $180 for the first year. And then I can get a new phone.

BB has them for $199 on 2 year contract.

I know some think I am wasting my money with edge, but I will be able to get a new phone in a year.

Tell me how you can do that cheaper by buying?

Last edited:

raichur0xx0rz

Oct 27, 2009
Rockford, IL
I don't know where you get that he is going to pay $350 for the phone on edge the first year.

I just got on the early edge upgrade and they offer a $10/month discount off of the $25/month price.(That is for the 3 gig plan. Discount is steeper on higher data plans) So I am paying $15/month for my M8. I will have paid $180 for the first year. And then I can get a new phone.

I know some think I am wasting my money with edge, but I will be able to get a new phone in a year.

I'm not disagreeing with you, as EDGE is fine for people who upgrade a lot, and really isn't really that much of a waste of money as some make it seem, but I wouldn't say you are paying $15/mo for the M8. It's more like you're paying $25/mo for it, but you get $10 off per month from the bill itself.

Just taking in to account that they discount your bill by ~$10 (depending on data, again) even on More Everything plans, they're just trying to compensate for the fact that you are not in a contract, and thus, no subsidy.

I'm sure some reps are just saying, "and you get $10 off the monthly payment for being on EDGE" to entice people to sign up. If you were really paying $15/mo, it would take longer for you to pay off the phone... of course, I could be completely wrong, as I don't see the bill in front of me to see the break down, but that's just what I assume the breakdown is.

----

I feel like with EDGE it's almost a wash when comparing it with a 2-Year contract, though you can come out slightly ahead with a contract. If you upgrade a lot, and assuming a single line, then you can get a "cheap" phone for the first year, the sell it for ~ $250-300 (or more, depending on device of course), then the next flagship you pick up second hand from someone (saving tax at least). If you keep reselling in $300 range, it's almost the same thing as EDGE (paying off half to "edge up"). With EDGE, however, you save yourself the hassle of re-selling/shipping/etc.

Powell730

Dec 6, 2010
Don't know where you get $250 from (unless you're not up for a new device), the M8 is $99 with 2 year contract.

Just saw this on the Verizon site. The store I went to last night while working had a 250 price tag.

I'm still not sure what to do lol... I feel like if I really like a phone and I'm not ready to get rid of it after 12 months and keep it then I'm throwing money away...

The Verizon variant is completely unlockable right? Is there any ota upgrade I should avoid out of the box if I decide to get it?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

TidusWulf

Sep 21, 2010
Seattle, WA
I wasn't aware of the $10 EDGE plan discount. I left before that started, I guess.

As for where to buy the phone, Amazon or Costco are generally the best prices, but sometimes bestbuy has a good sale going on. ($100 blue M7 the day it was released), I would never buy a phone from Verizon's corporate store or website.

The Verizon phone is unlocked by default. there is nothing the user needs to do. it's Verizon policy (yay!). As for the OTA upgrade, I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter, from what I've read, but I would just root the phone and flash the rooted update, anyway, to be safe.

Powell730

Dec 6, 2010
I wasn't aware of the $10 EDGE plan discount. I left before that started, I guess.

As for where to buy the phone, Amazon or Costco are generally the best prices, but sometimes bestbuy has a good sale going on. ($100 blue M7 the day it was released), I would never buy a phone from Verizon's corporate store or website.

The Verizon phone is unlocked by default. there is nothing the user needs to do. it's Verizon policy (yay!). As for the OTA upgrade, I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter, from what I've read, but I would just root the phone and flash the rooted update, anyway, to be safe.

Since when does Verizon release a phone unlocked from factory?! That's shocking. ??

raichur0xx0rz

Oct 27, 2009
Rockford, IL
Just saw this on the Verizon site. The store I went to last night while working had a 250 price tag.

I'm still not sure what to do lol... I feel like if I really like a phone and I'm not ready to get rid of it after 12 months and keep it then I'm throwing money away...

The Verizon variant is completely unlockable right? Is there any ota upgrade I should avoid out of the box if I decide to get it?

I think the M8 should be good for a long time, as most devices are, we just tend to want to upgrade/switch devices when the new one comes out =\

If you don't want to use up the upgrade, have you tried looking on Swappa for a used device?

** Factory unlock meaning for the SIM, you will still need to root and S-OFF on your own. Just to clarify haha

TidusWulf

Sep 21, 2010
Seattle, WA
about 2 years, now. I think Verizon had to hit a certain population coverage percentage for LTE and it became mandatory by some FCC rule when they purchased the spectrum. sad that other carriers aren't also tied to this.

Powell730

Dec 6, 2010
I think the M8 should be good for a long time, as most devices are, we just tend to want to upgrade/switch devices when the new one comes out =\

If you don't want to use up the upgrade, have you tried looking on Swappa for a used device?

** Factory unlock meaning for the SIM, you will still need to root and S-OFF on your own. Just to clarify haha

Ohh. Yeah I was referring to the bootloader not sim lol. I actually looked at swappA last night. Good deals but I'd rather use the upgrade as opposed to that site. I really just need to decide if I want to keep the phone for two years or buy it with the intent to upgrade again in ~1 year.

vdChild

Jun 26, 2010
i believe amazon has it for 99 with 2 year, and OTA is safe, i temprooted -> soff'd; took OTA then xposed/customized.

as for swappa, site is completely legit, have bought and sold on there. just read descriptions/pics and know what you are getting.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Well said .. covers everything.
    I couldn't be happier with my m8.. I had the s4 previously the only down side is cropping photos with this camera it can be pixely. If you do get the m8 I recommend that you really look at where the speaker grill on top and bottom meet the screen. make sure it's flush this may be just me being picky but I have seen a few that were slightly raised above the screen and it kind of sticks out. Play some music and make sure the sound isn't distorted at a higher volume. I had a couple friends that noticed some static but had to make the trip back for an exchange. There are a number of threads about build quality you can read. sorry to hear your screen shattered on your s4.