[2/27/2010] Google Android for TP2 CDMA [In Dev]

Search This thread

95-civic

Aug 28, 2008
This thread is for development related to the Google Android OS running on the CDMA version of the Touch Pro 2.

Special Thanks to all of the GSM developers for taking care of the hard stuff :p

Last Update Date: 2/27/2010 11:45 PM EST
Current Download Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T0RSJ0AW

For those who still can't get wifi to load with the most recent upload please try the 2 suggestions below:
-Ensure wifi is started in WM prior to initiating haret
-Turn off security on your wireless connection

Instructions:
1) Delete existing android files (ensure data.img is deleted)
2) Extract files from zip onto root of SD card

Use this at your own risk. I doubt any harm will come to you or your phone, but if you get hit by a bus while loading android don't blame me.

Please see post #2 for zImage Downloads, FAQ, Detailed Status and Change Log

Last edited:

95-civic

Aug 28, 2008
Detailed Status and Change Log

Upcoming Changes:
-CDMA Data
-SMS
-Speaker w/o calling prior to loading Haret

Change Log:
2/27/2010 11:45 PM EST
Issues with previous upload. Please try new link.

2/27/2010 10:00 PM EST
-autobuild zImage and my modified rootfs to use CDMA radio
-WIFI thanks to MrPippy
2/27/2010 2:22 PM EST
-Many many new enhancements from the current repository. Still no wifi, data or BT, but some great UI and other hardware updates. Special thanks to phhusson, mrpippy and the rest of the GSM guys for their constant changes!
1/25/2010 1:10 AM EST
-Mic is now functional in calls w/o having to initiate a call in WM
-Power management is now active, screen will turn black
-Keypad response on dial pad has been greatly improved
-Phone can now be fully powered off by holding end key and selecting "Power off"
Please use full download link in post #1

1/12/2010 11:24 PM EST - Updated Keymapping

Working
CDMA Radio - Ability to make and receive calls
Mic
Keyboard
Key Mapping
Power Management
Screen Rotation
WIFI

Not working:
CDMA Data
Speaker
GPS
Camera
Bluetooth
Much Much more...

Notes:
-In order to fully utilize mic / speaker you must place a call in WM prior to loading haret. Easiest method is to call your VM then while connected load haret. If you do not place a call prior to loading haret only your mic will function.

-If you have trouble registering onto your network follow the instructions below:
Go to Settings
Select "Wireless & networks"
Select "Mobile Networks"
Select "Network operators"
(Let the phone search)
Select "Select automatically"
You should now receive a message stating that you have been "Registered on Network"
If this does not work the first time, try it again.

For anyone who is interested in setting up their own dev environment follow my guide below.

Even if you don't have any programming expeierce you may have fun exploring the inner workings of Android.

Quick and Dirty Install Guide to setting up local dev environment by 95-Civic:
1) If you don't already have a linux box setup I would suggest downloading VM ware and finding a free image of Ubuntu.
2) From there head over to
http://source.android.com/download which should walk you through the installation of all packages required to retrieve and compile the source code.
3) It will take several hours to pull in the entire repository. Once download you do not need to compile the android code in order in order to build the kernel, we will use the prebuilt directory
4) Once you have copied the repository you will want to get a copy of linux-on-qualcomm. cd into the android source directory
5) type:
git clone git://gitorious.org/linux-on-qualcomm-s-msm/linux-msm.git
this process may take several hours depending on your internet connection speed
6) Copy the prebuilt directory from the android source over into the new directory created by the command above (linux-msm)
cp -r prebuilt ./linux-msm
7) CD into the linux-msm directory
8 ) Run the following command
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.3.1/bin/arm-eabi- htc_msm_android_defconfig
9) If no errors are listed you will receive the following message: "configuration written to .config". Continue to step 10
10) Run
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.3.1/bin/arm-eabi- zImage
11) When complete (if compiled successfully) you will now brand new zImage located in ./arch/arm/boot/zImage

As long as you use the rootfs.img and system.sqsh that I provided in the zip file you should have access to the CDMA radio to make and receive calls. In some cases you will not have access to the radio depending on the default configurations in the htc_msm_android_defconfig file.

Custom config is attached. You will need to unzip and copy the attached file into the linux-msm/arch/arm/configs directory. When running step 8 replace htc_msm_android_defconfig with htc_tp2_cdma_defconfig

This will not have any of the changes, additions, and tweaks I've made to the linux-msm source. However it should give you a fresh bootable image and a great place to start. I would like to create a gitorious clone in the near future but right now any free time is better spent on data.

Happy coding and please feel free to PM with any questions.

Last edited:

docprego

Oct 2, 2008
Henderson, NV
Just wanted to thank you for your effort, this is very exciting! Are you planning on following this all the way through until everything is functional and it can flashed on to the phone?

torn8o

Nov 24, 2006
Working
CDMA Radio - Ability to make and receive calls
Keyboard
Key Mapping

Not working
Just about everything else :p
Wifi
CDMA Data
Mapping of the End key (I'll post an updated image tomorrow with the correct mapping. Easy fix)
Speaker and Mic (unless you make a call from WM prior to loading Haret)
GPS
Camera
Bluetooth
Many more...

I have a GSM phone I see your working on the end key mapping for cdma.
I did ask in the bounty thread about learning how to map and fix end key for tilt 2 gsm your compiled zimage wont work for my gsm phone with the fix will it?

craiggiarc

Dec 2, 2008
Looking forward to testing your work Civic, great job so far and looking forward to future updates.

Craig

madocs

Feb 19, 2009
TEXAS
OnePlus 7
Moto G Power
Greatness

Way to go Civic, this is extremely exciting. I have been quite envious of the RAPH800 Android functionality (turned my RAPH800 into insurance for the RHOD400).

I have you bookmarked, will continue to test updated builds and report back.

On this one, nothing new to report on errors - no data, but I did connect to sprint network. I had called my VM before booting, but I had no mic or speaker, will try again.

Thanks and great job!

Ludacrisvp

Dec 13, 2008
MN
I did try out your version of XDAndroid and it seems a bit more sluggish/buggy than ones I have used out of the Topaz/TD2 thread.

CDMA radio works for me in both versions.
Obviously No Data or SMS.

One good way to speed up the install on the slower SD cards is to put the card in a memory card reader on a PC and run windows defragmenter on the card.
This is after you have booted into android the first time so you have the 256MB data.img already generated. I personally noticed a speed/fluidity improvement on my 8gb Class 2 SD card (came with BB Storm), however your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

mxxcon

Sep 17, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
defragmenting works on regular HDD because if a file is spread across different sections of the disk, it takes time to move the head and read those parts of the disk.
defragmenting won't make any difference with solid state media because there are no moving parts and its access time is virtually 0. it doesn't matter if a block of a file is on sector 0 or on sector 308563434, solid state drives access them all with exactly the same speed.
defragmenting on solid state media is a snake oil recipe.

klynch_gdd

Jul 4, 2007
I did ask in the bounty thread about learning how to map and fix end key for tilt 2 gsm your compiled zimage wont work for my gsm phone with the fix will it?

Shakes head, you do realize why this thread was started. Not to work on GSM, but for CDMA version. There are a TON of GSM android threads right now, but no real CDMA thread.

And 95-civic... THANK YOU!!!

segadc

Jan 14, 2007
Thanks been waiting for this kind of thread.:cool:

I loved using Android on my XV6800 but once I switch to TP2 I lost access to the marketplace (still waiting to see if someone can get wifi working). So I cannot wait to try this for TP2!

drb115

Nov 24, 2009
Chicago
Just out of curiosity, what is your end goal? A fully functional flushable android rom (which would be great) or a fully functional harret?

---and I am more that willing to donate some cash for the final result

torn8o

Nov 24, 2006
Shakes head, you do realize why this thread was started. Not to work on GSM, but for CDMA version. There are a TON of GSM android threads right now, but no real CDMA thread.

And 95-civic... THANK YOU!!!

I do realize this is a cdma thread you must have missed this statement

I asked here because an option to help was offered in the prior posts in another thread.

drb115

Nov 24, 2009
Chicago
Also, is it possible to get the gsensor working. I find pulling out the stylus to activate landscape to be somewhat annoying. Is that just a temporary thing, will we eventually get to use of the gsensor and the keyboard slide activating the landscape?

CeLlgUy

Aug 8, 2006
It's amazing how such great progress can be made and yet someone has to ask about the gsensor working. Baby steps man. Speakers and Mic are very important. Then data and SMS. Once the basic phone functions are there, I'm sure Civic or someone else will start attacking things like Gsensor. Sorry, not trying to be rude but focus on what's more important and don't worry about the smaller stuff. Kudos Civic. Well done.

On a side note, I also would like to know if you plan to take this all the way to the finished product with a flashable ROM. Either way, you can expect a donation in the next few weeks from me. (Christmas wiped me out!)

morganlowe

Aug 4, 2007
Thank you so much!! I love this phone, and I think android on it will blow the nexus one away. I cant stand on screen keyboards!! Keep up the good work and you will be getting my donations and many many thanks!!

95-civic

Aug 28, 2008
new zImage Available

The most recent zImage can be found in post #2. Unzip the zImage to your SD root and over write existing file. Don't forget to delete the data.img file as well.

Not a huge change but I've fixed the key mapping. I've had less than an combined hour over the past 48 hours to get in front of my home computer due to long days at the office this week, next step is to tackle the speaker / mic issue.

Enjoy!

95-civic

Aug 28, 2008

I don't own a GSM phone so I can't confirm. Try the most recent zImage in post #2, just remove the ".95-civic" from the end of the file and overwrite you existing zImage.

BTW the ".95-civic" will be removed in the next build. Obviously it's just a simple renaming of the file, but we'll call it .CDMATP2 or something along those lines.

95-civic

Aug 28, 2008
Just out of curiosity, what is your end goal? A fully functional flushable android rom (which would be great) or a fully functional harret?

---and I am more that willing to donate some cash for the final result

Would you like me to put a project charter together? lol... j/k

For now I will continue with Harret, but ultimately we all would love to have a flashable rom to utilize the phone's internal memory. Since just above every other htc phone is ahead of us with their android ports, I'm hoping someone figures this part out by the time we catch up! :D

95-civic

Aug 28, 2008
Also, is it possible to get the gsensor working. I find pulling out the stylus to activate landscape to be somewhat annoying. Is that just a temporary thing, will we eventually get to use of the gsensor and the keyboard slide activating the landscape?

As mentioned in another reply this is low priority on the list, however if you could get everyone else in the group to agree that this is more important that the speaker / mic I'll gladly do this for you. :p