After update to 4.4.3 rear camera option is gone **RESOLVED**

Search This thread

Hacky2447

Jun 17, 2014
I updated using the OTA update and the rear camera option is now gone completely from my phone. It looks like the camera doesn't even see the rear camera.

I have now rooted it and uloaded The latest Dirty Unicorns 4.4.3 rom thinking it was the OTA update, and looks like that wasnt the cause.

I have tried multiple apps, and they just crash immediately. Tried different roms, different Gapps, as well as wiped everything multiple times. I am worried that the OTA update has somehow killed my camera.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Hacky2447

Jun 17, 2014
Here are a couple screen shots showing the rear camera is gone from the settings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-17-13-21-32.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-17-13-21-32.png
    244.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_2014-06-17-13-20-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-17-13-20-45.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 52

Zepius

Mar 29, 2011
I updated using the OTA update and the rear camera option is now gone completely from my phone. It looks like the camera doesn't even see the rear camera.

I have now rooted it and uloaded The latest Dirty Unicorns 4.4.3 rom thinking it was the OTA update, and looks like that wasnt the cause.

I have tried multiple apps, and they just crash immediately. Tried different roms, different Gapps, as well as wiped everything multiple times. I am worried that the OTA update has somehow killed my camera.

Any thoughts?

when you say wiped everything, did you wipe system and userdata?

did you restore any apps or anything with TiBu?

Hacky2447

Jun 17, 2014
when you say wiped everything, did you wipe system and userdata?

did you restore any apps or anything with TiBu?

I wiped everything i could find on the phone. lol

I used the recovery and the factory reset to wipe it all.

Wiped data and cache in the recovery. The only thing i didnt wipe was the Dalvik, as there was no option to do so.

I did restore the apps through the google play store, but i also tried uninstalling the app and re installing it.

I have not wiped everything, and updated manually. I could try that I suppose. I dont see how that would make a difference, as restoring the apps comes from the Google play store doesn't it?

Hacky2447

Jun 17, 2014
I wiped everything i could find on the phone. lol

I used the recovery and the factory reset to wipe it all.

Wiped data and cache in the recovery. The only thing i didnt wipe was the Dalvik, as there was no option to do so.

I did restore the apps through the google play store, but i also tried uninstalling the app and re installing it.

I have not wiped everything, and updated manually. I could try that I suppose. I dont see how that would make a difference, as restoring the apps comes from the Google play store doesn't it?

I just tried resetting EVERYTHING. reformatted it all, as well as the cache, data, dalvik, and factory reset.

Nothing brings back my rear camera on the phone. I am going to look for a 4.4.2 stock rom and see if that brings it back. If that doesn't bring it back. Its obviously a hardware issue.

Hacky2447

Jun 17, 2014
Flash the 4.4.3 stock images from Google.

I have flashed back to stock, unrooted,stock recovery, wiped everything multiple times. I uninstalled the updated camera app. used the "factory app" then reinstalled the camera app.

The application Google camera is now back in my application list. However, the phone refuses to see the rear camera. Its almost like the phone decided its no longer there.

I switch the camera to the panoramic or sphere camera setting, and the phone gives the error that the phone does not have a rear camera. I am so stumped its not even funny. I am taking it into T-Mobile tomorrow.
I will update if I get a resolution.

Hacky2447

Jun 17, 2014
Resolution: Hardware issue

I have flashed back to stock, unrooted,stock recovery, wiped everything multiple times. I uninstalled the updated camera app. used the "factory app" then reinstalled the camera app.

The application Google camera is now back in my application list. However, the phone refuses to see the rear camera. Its almost like the phone decided its no longer there.

I switch the camera to the panoramic or sphere camera setting, and the phone gives the error that the phone does not have a rear camera. I am so stumped its not even funny. I am taking it into T-Mobile tomorrow.
I will update if I get a resolution.

I had wiped it multiple times, unrooted, flashed stock recovery, got the icon to reappear, and the phone still didn't see the rear camera. It was gone. The camera app finally started giving me the error that the rear camera didn't exist.

So, after speaking with T-mobile and speaking with Google (neither had a clue) they set me up with an hardware exchange.

I got the new phone, updated without any issues, and works as intended.

If anyone comes up with the same issue. Save yourself some time and effort. Get an exchange on the unit if its still under warranty.

Thank you all that tried to help with this issue.