Ubuntu Touch [Discontinued]

Search This thread

Relys

Apr 30, 2013
What's the status of this project? Is there any horrible bugs (e.g. terrible memory leaks, wifi doesn't work, etc.). I'm wanting to install this on my old Xperia. :)

InteliDroid

Dec 12, 2013
Sydney
Hey, so I'm guessing this development is dead? I really hoped for Ubuntu on my beloved tablet... meh, Sony just released lollipop for the Xperia Z Tablet so I'll just stick with that... :silly:

mamenyaka

Jan 30, 2013
Sorry guys... I will have to abandon the project due to lack of time and limited access to the tablet.
I spent many hours in the last couple of days trying to keep what I promised, but this time I didn't succeed.
I got some new builds, but stuck at a not-entirely-black screen after booting.
If anyone is interested in continuing my work, please check out my repo, and here is the last_kmsg.

Reactions: himhz

ozozznozzy

Oct 16, 2013
Phoenix
Sorry guys... I will have to abandon the project due to lack of time and limited access to the tablet.
I spent many hours in the last couple of days trying to keep what I promised, but this time I didn't succeed.
I got some new builds, but stuck at a not-entirely-black screen after booting.
If anyone is interested in continuing my work, please check out my ...

Sad day. Were there no working version released for Pollux-Windy?
I wish I had enough developer know how to keep up the project..

Reactions: mamenyaka

jazzorpheus

Sep 27, 2009
Hello, i am sorry for the very late response here. I tried to flash my xperia z tablet and the fastboot load img command went just fine. However it looks like the cable got disconnected just before the fastboot reboot command was executed and now i have a tablet that does nothing and i am not sure what i can do to fix it.

Rootk1t

Jun 2, 2013
Hello, i am sorry for the very late response here. I tried to flash my xperia z tablet and the fastboot load img command went just fine. However it looks like the cable got disconnected just before the fastboot reboot command was executed and now i have a tablet that does nothing and i am not sure what i can do to fix it.
press and hold VOL+Power. Then try to restore with pc-companion.

jazzorpheus

Sep 27, 2009
press and hold VOL+Power. Then try to restore with pc-companion.

Thanks. That worked. Do you have an idea how to make it to recovery mode? I was able to run the boot and can see the Sony logo but from that point i tried different combinations (holding vol down, vol up, both and clicking them one after another) and nothing worked. Since i can't get into it i am unable to run the bridge to load the system.

Rootk1t

Jun 2, 2013
Thanks. That worked. Do you have an idea how to make it to recovery mode? I was able to run the boot and can see the Sony logo but from that point i tried different combinations (holding vol down, vol up, both and clicking them one after another) and nothing worked. Since i can't get into it i am unable to run the bridge to load the system.
tablet z doesn't have stock recovery. so you need to flash it.

sknobli

Jul 19, 2008
Hello Rootk1t,
could you please also post the link to the mentioned recovery-image? I also need it for pollux-winky. I only have the boot.img and system.img. My system only shows the system-logo and doesnt went on.

Many thanks in advance.

Rootk1t

Jun 2, 2013
Hello Rootk1t,
could you please also post the link to the mentioned recovery-image? I also need it for pollux-winky. I only have the boot.img and system.img. My system only shows the system-logo and doesnt went on.

Many thanks in advance.
This ROM is not maintained for tablet z device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    For pollux, pollux_windy

*** Disclamer
    This is an experimental port, MAKE A BACKUP of your files before you continue.
    I am not responsible if you brick your device, but I will try to help you if things go wrong.

Introduction
    First of all, I would like to thank XDA for the amazing Tablet Z Competition and the XDA Tablet Z contest judges for choosing my project proposal.

What is Ubuntu Touch?

Our device on the ubuntu wiki: pollux
    Our device on GitHub

Video

Images
    DSC01933_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

DSC01934_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

DSC01936_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Installation instructions
    • In fastboot mode, flash boot.img - contains kernel and recovery
      Code:
      $ fastboot flash boot boot.img
      $ fastboot reboot
    • In recovery mode, flash the device image and the ubuntu image with rootstock-ng
      Code:
      $ bzr branch lp:project-rootstock-ng
      $ project-rootstock-ng/rootstock-touch-install 14.09-preinstalled-touch-armhf.tar.gz system.img

Download

Changelog
    Working:
    Code:
    [LIST]
    [*]adb
    [*]Display
    [*]Touchscreen
    [*]WiFi
    [*]Sound
    [*]Video
    [*]Apps
    [/LIST]

Not working:

Code:
    [LIST]
    [*]Rotation
    [*]Camera
    [/LIST]

NOTE: Ubuntu Touch itself is still under heavy development and I cannot list all the flaws it has, since that is daily changing.
    Please be aware that applications may not work as expected but the scope of this project is only the porting, not the actual operating system!

FAQ
    * How to go back to stock?
    Reboot into recovery. Wipe data/factory reset. Restore your backup. Reboot into flashmode and flash (with FlashTool) the kernel (kernel.sin only) from your .tft file (without wiping anything). Reboot.

* Installation stuck on "unpacking rootfs tarball to system-image ..."
    Free up some space on the device.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Ubuntu Touch, ROM for the Sony Xperia Tablet Z

Contributors
    mamenyaka, ciderwein, diwic, jdstrand, jjohansen, ogra, w-flo
    Source Code: https://github.com/mamenyaka?tab=repositories

ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    Based On: CyanogenMod, AOSP

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 5
    Beta Release Date: 2014-09-24

Created 2013-09-05
    Last Updated 2016-02-10
    Guys!
    I just want to let you know, that even though we got a competition under way which is coming to an end, I will NOT stop development for this project!
    Ubuntu Touch has just yet started! I am hoping that the flipped image marks the start of what this concept truly wants to be:
    Smartphone and desktop PC in one device

If you would like to show your support for this project, just head over to Xperia Tablet Z General section, where you can find details on how to vote.
    Thank you!
    So, Xperia Tablet Z WiFi is now official?

No, but this means that they are not abandoning the ports entirely, so I hope I can build a new version soon.
    WiFi fixed, fully working!
    Uploading... Done.
    Guys! I just made a quick video, check it out!