[EB13/EC05][Stock][Configurable Zip] System Apps Remove N Restore

Search This thread

nubecoder

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 5, 2010
:[Disclaimer]:
As always, performing a "nandroid backup" from Clockwork Mod is recommended as a precaution.
Use this at your own risk!

:[Requirements]:
An Epic 4G with Clockwork Mod recovery installed (preferably 3.0.0.6).
A text editor to edit the config file.

Note:: The EB13 files are from deodexed EB13, and are intended to be used on an EB13 based Rom.
Note:: The EC05 files are from deodexed EC05, and are intended to be used on an EC05 based Rom.

:[Description]:
This is a configurable zip that has the ability to selectively remove and restore system apps.
This is a follow up to this proof of concept.

:[Features]:
Selectively remove and / or restore any of the 66 system apps listed below.
User configurable by editing a config file that is placed onto the SD card.

[Download EB13 zip package here.]
[Download EC05 zip package here.]

:[Usage]:
This download files are not flash-able zips! (The flash-able zip is inside the downloads)

#1:: Extract the 2 files that are in the zip package onto your computer.
#2:: Copy the "system_apps.zip" onto your SD card.
#3:: Make the desired changes to the "system_apps.cfg" file, changing "no" to "yes" as desired.
For example, to remove qik, change
remove.system.qik=no​
to
remove.system.qik=yes​
Note:: If you don't make any changes to the "system_apps.cfg" file, the zip will not do anything other than output text!
Note:: Make sure your file is saved with unix line endings (Windows users do not create any new lines and you should be OK).
#4:: Copy the "system_apps.cfg" onto the root of your SD card ("/sdcard/system_apps.cfg").
#5:: Use Clockwork Mod recovery to install the "system_apps.zip".

:[Included apps]:
AppWidgetPicker was taken from Bonsai 3.0.1, but originated here.
LbsTestMode was taken from here, credit goes to BThomas22x it seems.
The rest of the EB13 files came from Dameon87's Stock Deodexed EB13 Rom.
The rest of the EC05 files came from Bonsai4All_EC05_UnTouched.
I have confirmed with k0nane that none of these files should effect the CIQ removal.
(With the possible exception of EC05's SprintID "W_Installer.apk" file, but who in their right mind is going to install that?)
Code:
amazonmp3.apk
AppWidgetPicker.apk
Asphalt5_DEMO_ANMP_Samsung_D700_Sprint_ML.apk
AxT9IME.apk
Brightness.apk
Browser.apk
BuddiesNow.apk
ClockPackage.apk
cm-android.apk
Divx.apk
Dlna.apk
Email.apk
FactoryTest.apk
FBAndroid-1.4.1.apk
FreeHDGameDemos.apk
Gallery3D.apk
GenieWidget.apk
HiddenMenu.apk
HTMLViewer.apk
install_flash_player.apk
KeyBoardSlideUpCounter.apk
LatinIME.apk
LatinImeTutorial.apk
Launcher2.apk
LbsTestMode.apk
lcdtest.apk
LiveWallpapers.apk
LiveWallpapersPicker.apk
MediaHubV102_Epic4G.apk
Memo.apk
Mms.apk
MusicPlayer.apk
MyFiles.apk
nascar09-prod-release.apk
Protips.apk
qik.apk
SamsungApps.apk
SamsungWidget_CalendarClock.apk
SamsungWidget_FeedAndUpdate.apk
SamsungWidget_ProgramMonitor.apk
SamsungWidget_StockClock.apk
SamsungWidget_WeatherClock.apk
SelfTestMode.apk
SetupWizard.apk
sfl-prod-release.apk
SN28-1100-sprint-signed.apk
SnsAccount.apk
SnsProvider.apk
SoundPlayer.apk
Sprint_App_Updater.apk
SprintAndroidExtension.apk
SprintTV.apk
SprintTVWidget.apk
SprintZone.apk
Swype.apk
TAT_LiveWallpaper_Dandelion.apk
TAT_LiveWallpaper_Luminescence.apk
TAT_LiveWallpaper_OceanWaves.apk
thinkdroid.apk
TouchWiz30Launcher.apk
TouchWizCalculator.apk
TouchWizCalendar.apk
Vending.apk
VideoPlayer.apk
W_Installer.apk ([COLOR="Blue"]EC05 only[/COLOR])
YouTube.apk

:[Q & A]:
What happens when the system_apps.cfg file is missing or in the wrong location?
Clockwork Mod recovery will give a status 7 error.
What happens if I change "no" to something besides "yes or "no" in the config file?
The script checks for "yes", so if the value is anything else, the item will be skipped (just stick with "yes" and "no").
What happens if I did not use unix line endings?
Clockwork Mod recovery will give an error. Probably status 7, but possibly status 6.
Why does it take so long to boot after running this?
Because it clears out the cache and dalvik-cache, causing it to be rebuilt.

:[Testing]:
This has been tested and confirmed working on an Epic 4G running Bonsai 4.0.0.

:[ChangeLog]:
Code:
Update for EC05. (03-22-2011)

Initial release. (03-08-2011)
=]

Last edited:

jbadboy2007

Sep 22, 2010
Lansing MI
also what i do is use sdx stock app removal. when there is actually a stock app that i like i backup that app. then when i flash new roms with all bloat removed i can restore the stock apps of my choosing. the biggest one i do this with is the terrible bubble mms app and put back the eclair mms.

hardrock121

Nov 15, 2010
will it matter to flash the whole file as it is..without checking for any existing apks?? ie if i already have qik foreg.. and i dont change that to no... should it be still ok?

BiggDavin

Mar 7, 2010
Dallas, TX
I want to try this, was just going to wait for the next SFR version so I can do it all at one time during my 'scheduled maintenance window'. (Reading that makes me feel that I've spent too many years in IT.) Just 2 questions:

1. There are a bunch of apps that I have removed before, like mms.apk/browser.apk, using sdx stock app removal tool and it causes FCs. Is this different if removed from CWM? If so, do we know which of these sys apps are required?

2. If I am not installing particular .apks, can they be removed from the zip to make it smaller?

rcastel2

Oct 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
App .apk brief description

To the OP,
Can you put a brief description on what each .apk is for the ones that are not known by reading them? For example, I have no idea if I still need to install FactoryTest.apk, cm-android.apk, HiddenMenu.apk, SN28-1100-sprint-signed.apk...? For some, I have no idea what it is and it would help if you can put a brief description on what the apk is?

jbadboy2007

Sep 22, 2010
Lansing MI
There is a brief description of all sys apps in a thread called all app safe to remove. Search for it or page back to it in the dev section.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

nubecoder

Dec 5, 2010
will it matter to flash the whole file as it is..without checking for any existing apks?? ie if i already have qik foreg.. and i dont change that to no... should it be still ok?
As the OP states, all values are defaulted to no, so flashing as is will only print text to the screen and waste your time.
Just 2 questions:

1. There are a bunch of apps that I have removed before, like mms.apk/browser.apk, using sdx stock app removal tool and it causes FCs. Is this different if removed from CWM? If so, do we know which of these sys apps are required?

2. If I am not installing particular .apks, can they be removed from the zip to make it smaller?
#1 - I did my best to only include things that could be safely removed, but YMMV.
There's a link below to a thread of apps and what they do, if they've been removed safely, etc...
#2 - Yes, removing the apks from the zip is fine if you are only doing removals.
To the OP,
Can you put a brief description on what each .apk is for the ones that are not known by reading them?
There is a brief description of all sys apps in a thread called all app safe to remove.
This is the thread being referred to.

=]

evilsock

Aug 26, 2010
Nashville, TN
ok i want to add some missing apps, what do i need to type? im confused bc it says remove, and if i leave some as no ie if i have qik and want to keep it will i need to change the script? all i want is TV, genie weather widget, and nav so sorry if im sounding noobish but its just confusing a lil

chris41g

Sep 10, 2009
ok i want to add some missing apps, what do i need to type? im confused bc it says remove, and if i leave some as no ie if i have qik and want to keep it will i need to change the script? all i want is TV, genie weather widget, and nav so sorry if im sounding noobish but its just confusing a lil

Skip past all the remove lines in the cfg file and there are some install lines... change those to yes

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

latindor17

Dec 21, 2010
Ok i moved the config file from the folder to the SD card and i cannot find the zip file anywhere and i dont see a Status 7 error either, can anyone help?

latindor17

Dec 21, 2010
Ok i moved the config file from the folder to the SD card and i cannot find the zip file anywhere and i dont see a Status 7 error either, can anyone help?

Ok i think i know what might be wrong, i think i converted the config file to notepad in order to edit the files i wanted but now i dont know how to convert it back. Please help :(

Edit: i just realize that i couldve done this all on root explorer but now i cant because the config file has converted to notepad and i cant change it back!!!!

Last edited:

mouseglider

May 1, 2010
Eagan, MN
www.kickstand4u.com
Ok i think i know what might be wrong, i think i converted the config file to notepad in order to edit the files i wanted but now i dont know how to convert it back. Please help :(

Edit: i just realize that i couldve done this all on root explorer but now i cant because the config file has converted to notepad and i cant change it back!!!!

Does the config file have an extension, like "config.txt" - if so, then you can use root explorer on your phone and rename the file without the extenstion or the appropriate extension - you can't change the file extension to none on the PC because the PC needs the extension.

I am not stating this because I have the same problem as you, but I had another instance that was simuliar needing a certain file structure, so this is what worked for me - and maybe work for you.

Good Luck - hope this helps! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    :[Disclaimer]:
    As always, performing a "nandroid backup" from Clockwork Mod is recommended as a precaution.
    Use this at your own risk!

:[Requirements]:
    An Epic 4G with Clockwork Mod recovery installed (preferably 3.0.0.6).
    A text editor to edit the config file.

Note:: The EB13 files are from deodexed EB13, and are intended to be used on an EB13 based Rom.
    Note:: The EC05 files are from deodexed EC05, and are intended to be used on an EC05 based Rom.

:[Description]:
    This is a configurable zip that has the ability to selectively remove and restore system apps.
    This is a follow up to this proof of concept.

:[Features]:
    Selectively remove and / or restore any of the 66 system apps listed below.
    User configurable by editing a config file that is placed onto the SD card.

[Download EB13 zip package here.]
    [Download EC05 zip package here.]

:[Usage]:
    This download files are not flash-able zips! (The flash-able zip is inside the downloads)

#1:: Extract the 2 files that are in the zip package onto your computer.
    #2:: Copy the "system_apps.zip" onto your SD card.
    #3:: Make the desired changes to the "system_apps.cfg" file, changing "no" to "yes" as desired.
    For example, to remove qik, change
    remove.system.qik=no​
    to
    remove.system.qik=yes​
    Note:: If you don't make any changes to the "system_apps.cfg" file, the zip will not do anything other than output text!
    Note:: Make sure your file is saved with unix line endings (Windows users do not create any new lines and you should be OK).
    #4:: Copy the "system_apps.cfg" onto the root of your SD card ("/sdcard/system_apps.cfg").
    #5:: Use Clockwork Mod recovery to install the "system_apps.zip".

:[Included apps]:
    AppWidgetPicker was taken from Bonsai 3.0.1, but originated here.
    LbsTestMode was taken from here, credit goes to BThomas22x it seems.
    The rest of the EB13 files came from Dameon87's Stock Deodexed EB13 Rom.
    The rest of the EC05 files came from Bonsai4All_EC05_UnTouched.
    I have confirmed with k0nane that none of these files should effect the CIQ removal.
    (With the possible exception of EC05's SprintID "W_Installer.apk" file, but who in their right mind is going to install that?)
    Code:
    amazonmp3.apk
    AppWidgetPicker.apk
    Asphalt5_DEMO_ANMP_Samsung_D700_Sprint_ML.apk
    AxT9IME.apk
    Brightness.apk
    Browser.apk
    BuddiesNow.apk
    ClockPackage.apk
    cm-android.apk
    Divx.apk
    Dlna.apk
    Email.apk
    FactoryTest.apk
    FBAndroid-1.4.1.apk
    FreeHDGameDemos.apk
    Gallery3D.apk
    GenieWidget.apk
    HiddenMenu.apk
    HTMLViewer.apk
    install_flash_player.apk
    KeyBoardSlideUpCounter.apk
    LatinIME.apk
    LatinImeTutorial.apk
    Launcher2.apk
    LbsTestMode.apk
    lcdtest.apk
    LiveWallpapers.apk
    LiveWallpapersPicker.apk
    MediaHubV102_Epic4G.apk
    Memo.apk
    Mms.apk
    MusicPlayer.apk
    MyFiles.apk
    nascar09-prod-release.apk
    Protips.apk
    qik.apk
    SamsungApps.apk
    SamsungWidget_CalendarClock.apk
    SamsungWidget_FeedAndUpdate.apk
    SamsungWidget_ProgramMonitor.apk
    SamsungWidget_StockClock.apk
    SamsungWidget_WeatherClock.apk
    SelfTestMode.apk
    SetupWizard.apk
    sfl-prod-release.apk
    SN28-1100-sprint-signed.apk
    SnsAccount.apk
    SnsProvider.apk
    SoundPlayer.apk
    Sprint_App_Updater.apk
    SprintAndroidExtension.apk
    SprintTV.apk
    SprintTVWidget.apk
    SprintZone.apk
    Swype.apk
    TAT_LiveWallpaper_Dandelion.apk
    TAT_LiveWallpaper_Luminescence.apk
    TAT_LiveWallpaper_OceanWaves.apk
    thinkdroid.apk
    TouchWiz30Launcher.apk
    TouchWizCalculator.apk
    TouchWizCalendar.apk
    Vending.apk
    VideoPlayer.apk
    W_Installer.apk ([COLOR="Blue"]EC05 only[/COLOR])
    YouTube.apk

:[Q & A]:
    What happens when the system_apps.cfg file is missing or in the wrong location?
    Clockwork Mod recovery will give a status 7 error.
    What happens if I change "no" to something besides "yes or "no" in the config file?
    The script checks for "yes", so if the value is anything else, the item will be skipped (just stick with "yes" and "no").
    What happens if I did not use unix line endings?
    Clockwork Mod recovery will give an error. Probably status 7, but possibly status 6.
    Why does it take so long to boot after running this?
    Because it clears out the cache and dalvik-cache, causing it to be rebuilt.

:[Testing]:
    This has been tested and confirmed working on an Epic 4G running Bonsai 4.0.0.

:[ChangeLog]:
    Code:
    Update for EC05. (03-22-2011)

Initial release. (03-08-2011)
    =]
    As the OP states, all values are defaulted to no, so flashing as is will only print text to the screen and waste your time.
    Just 2 questions:

#1 - I did my best to only include things that could be safely removed, but YMMV.
    There's a link below to a thread of apps and what they do, if they've been removed safely, etc...
    #2 - Yes, removing the apks from the zip is fine if you are only doing removals.
    To the OP,
    Can you put a brief description on what each .apk is for the ones that are not known by reading them?
    There is a brief description of all sys apps in a thread called all app safe to remove.
    This is the thread being referred to.

=]
    Updated for EC05, check OP.

=]