I was browsing around and saw this thread. Good timing too!
I have been thinking a lot about Firefox OS and how it may be the best hope at open source seeing as how Google is slowly taking backing away from open sourcing and making things rely on their closed APIs.
Anyway, I've given it some thought and I've realized that for Firefox OS to ever succeed, it will really be up to the app developers that choose to port or write apps, and lastly OEMs.
I'm not sure the people got the idea as they're listing forms of apps that are non essential or third party entertainment, that will eventually make its way over once the OS gains numbers.
Netflix, emulators, games ...would be nice but not essential to my mobile device as a productivity device. I would love if all my apps could be ported, but that's being too hopeful.
Bare bones, at the minimum, these are the most essential things:
1) A good simple note taking app. Nothing fancy. Think of AK Notepad or ColorNote
2) An office suite like OfficeSuite by Mobile Systems. & A good PDF reader with annotation support like ezPDF Reader
3) A good ebook reader with multi format support, like Cool Reader or Aldiko
4) A Google Voice dialer app (GrooveIP) + SIP and VOIP capabilities
+ A built-in text/messaging app would beat any third party options
5) A good email and contact system. This is a must have. I want to see easy transfer of Gmail and Outlook contacts + no frills push notifications.
6) An intuitive stocks app. I want to be able to gains / loses and real time prices. Lock screen widget of this would be nice.
7) Maps + Navigation (This a must)
It doesn't have to be Google. Although it would be preferred.
8) News/RSS reader + an app like pocket or read it later. + Podcast support
+ A forums reader like Tapatalk
If you guys could get devs or companies on board...
Microsoft's recently released remote desktop or another alternative like Splashtop
Might be moot, but maybe you guys can work together with Adobe to port Flash (I know it's a long shot given they called it quits on mobile)