[Q] DEV REQUEST: In-Call Screen Rotation

Search This thread

MothChewMoth

Jun 4, 2012
I've scoured these forums and come up with nothing so far on this (other than apps that don't work!). Here's what I'm looking to do:

I drive FREQUENTLY for work and have my ATT Note 2 in a dash mount in landscape position. I would like my in-call screen to rotate to landscape, and actually be able to see my Caller ID photo as well as the standard dial pad.

I've tried Ultimate Rotation Control (and several other apps), and they DO rotate the screen, but the buttons are abnormally large and cover 90% of the screen. This covers up caller id as well as the dialer pad if you try to use it.

I found a mod and how-to for the S2 (links below) that does EXACTLY what I want, so I'm pretty sure someone with coding experience can figure this out. I can't figure out how to decompile-recompile my SecPhone.apk without errors, so I can't test this myself.

Is there anyone who can try to make this happen? If so, I'd be happy to make a donation for your time/effort. Thanks!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2018583 - Mod for S2
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1705215 - How to for S2

MothChewMoth

Jun 4, 2012
Mods, is it possible for one of you to move this to the dev section? I feel like this is a pretty significant issue and would like to get the attention of someone who can actually sit down and decipher the proper code settings for this. I've tried doing it myself, but can't get the apk to recompile without errors.

Reactions: tech.guy1991

BlackPhantomX

Dec 6, 2012
Ultimate Rotation Control. Lets you auto rotate per app, as well as lock screen. I set the phone app to auto rotate and it does it in landscape mode.

MothChewMoth

Jun 4, 2012
Ultimate Rotation Control. Lets you auto rotate per app, as well as lock screen. I set the phone app to auto rotate and it does it in landscape mode.

I appreciate the reply, but please read OP. Ultimate Rotation Control and all other rotation mods from the app store do NOT work properly. Yes, they will rotate the screen, but for some reason they force the buttons to take up 90% of the screen covering the dial pad (if I try to open it) and any caller ID information / photos.

I'm looking for someone who can make some coding changes to secphone.apk to fix the problem. See OP for examples done on the S2. I've tried this myself and can't figure it out, since I don't really know what I'm doing.

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
obviously, none of the devs are interested....and, I know that has not been possible on several of the Android phones I have had over the last 5 years..
I guess you will either have to live with this, or learn about development, and try it yourself..

MothChewMoth

Jun 4, 2012
Just seems like a relatively simple fix since the legwork was already done for the GS2. I have tried doing this on my own, but keep running into issues when trying to re-compile.

samuri28

Feb 14, 2011
Did you try deleting these 3 directories from the directory \secphone\res:
values-es
values-es-rUS
values-it

I did not have any compile issues when I compiled with Beans Build 1o

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

Just seems like a relatively simple fix since the legwork was already done for the GS2. I have tried doing this on my own, but keep running into issues when trying to re-compile.

I have been working with MothChewMoth on the side and came up with the below:

Making the Note 2 TW Dialer Rotate based on phone orientation

First Note: I am not an android developer or a developer at all for that matter. I make no warranty for these changes and do so at your own risk. I have been running this for 2 days on my Verizon Note 2 running Beans Build 10 with no issues.
Thanks to Mirko ddd for posting how to do this on the Galaxy S2 which gave me a start for the Note 2

The instructions below were built off of CleanRom 4.5 ACE as that is what MothChewMoth was running.

DeCompile the SecPhone.apk and go to
apk and go to smali/com/android/phone/
You will need to edit two files:
InCallScreen.smali (this allows for rotation changes while on the phone)
CallCard.smali (this allows for rotation changes when a call is coming in)
Open InCallScreen.smali with a text editor and find the code:
Code:
    .line 7185
    :cond_5
    sget-boolean v0, Lcom/android/phone/PhoneApp;->mIsDockConnected:Z

if-nez v0, :cond_6

const-string v0, "hardkeyboardhidden_no"

invoke-static {v0}, Lcom/android/phone/PhoneFeature;->hasFeature(Ljava/lang/String;)Z

move-result v0

if-eqz v0, :cond_c

iget v0, p1, Landroid/content/res/Configuration;->hardKeyboardHidden:I

if-ne v0, v1, :cond_c

.line 7187
    :cond_6
    iget v2, p1, Landroid/content/res/Configuration;->orientation:I

Remove the 2 lines:
Code:
If-eqz v0, :cond_c
Code:
If-ne v0, v1, :cond_c
Your new code should look like:
Code:
    .line 7185

invoke-static {v0}, Lcom/android/phone/PhoneFeature;->hasFeature(Ljava/lang/String;)Z

move-result v0

.line 7187

Save InCallScreen.smali

Open CallCard.smali with a text editor and find the code:
Code:
    .line 720
    sget-boolean v2, Lcom/android/phone/PhoneApp;->mIsDockConnected:Z

if-nez v2, :cond_0

const-string v2, "hardkeyboardhidden_no"

invoke-static {v2}, Lcom/android/phone/PhoneFeature;->hasFeature(Ljava/lang/String;)Z

move-result v2

if-eqz v2, :cond_4

iget v2, v0, Landroid/content/res/Configuration;->hardKeyboardHidden:I

if-ne v2, v1, :cond_4

.line 722
    :cond_0
    iget v0, v0, Landroid/content/res/Configuration;->orientation:I

Remove the 2 lines:
Code:
If-eqz v2, :cond_4
Code:
If-ne v2, v1, :cond_4

Code:
     .line 720

invoke-static {v2}, Lcom/android/phone/PhoneFeature;->hasFeature(Ljava/lang/String;)Z

move-result v2

.line 722

Save the CallCard.smali
Re-Compile your secphone.apk
Replace your secphone.apk in /system/app and make sure its permissions are rw-r-r
Reboot your phone and enjoy

Second Note: To get past the CleanRom compile errors I ended up deleting these 3 directories from the directory \secphone\res:
values-es
values-es-rUS
values-it

I did not have any compile issues with the Beans Build 10 version of the same fix

shaxs

Aug 16, 2010
Sounds like this was fixed according the forum over at ScottsRoms. Can you post the compiled, correct apk for landscape mode in call?

samuri28

Feb 14, 2011
Sounds like this was fixed according the forum over at ScottsRoms. Can you post the compiled, correct apk for landscape mode in call?

The attached files are built from the following Roms:
Beans Build 10
CleanRom 4.5 ACE (sorry for the 7zip compression format, zip wouldn't compress the file small enough)

I AM NOT A DEVELOPER, just a guy who hacked around until he got things working so please install this at your own risk.

To install:
1) download the proper file
2) Unzip and extract SecPhone.apk
3) Move your current SecPhone.apk from /system/app to a backup location on your phone/sdcard
4) Copy your new SecPhone.apk to /system/app
5) Change permissions on SecPhone.apk to rw-r-r
6) Reboot your phone

View attachment SecPhoneBeans.zip

View attachment SecPhoneCleanRom.7z

Last edited:

3to4

Aug 13, 2009
Lyon
values-es
values-es-rUS
values-it

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

First Note: I am not an android developer or a developer at all for that matter. I make no warranty for these changes and do so at your own risk. I have been running this for 2 days on my Verizon Note 2 running Beans Build 10 with no issues.
Thanks to Mirko ddd for posting how to do this on the Galaxy S2 which gave me a start for the Note 2

The instructions below were built off of CleanRom 4.5 ACE as that is what MothChewMoth was running.

Code:
    .line 7185

move-result v0

.line 7187

Remove the 2 lines:
Code:
Code:
Code:
    .line 7185

move-result v0

.line 7187

Save InCallScreen.smali

Code:
    .line 720

move-result v2

.line 722

Remove the 2 lines:
Code:
Code:

Code:
     .line 720

move-result v2

.line 722

Save the CallCard.smali
Replace your secphone.apk in /system/app and make sure its permissions are rw-r-r

Second Note: To get past the CleanRom compile errors I ended up deleting these 3 directories from the directory \secphone\res:
values-es
values-es-rUS
values-it

I did not have any compile issues with the Beans Build 10 version of the same fix

I am very interested in this mod. I think it is very strange that there are no custom roms with this features integrated, because many people use their telephone as GPS in their car, like me.

I understand that it is necessary to modify SecPhone.apk of each rom. So, I am trying to decompile SecPhone.apk with the tools I downloaded from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1755243.

I extracted SecPhone.apk and framework-res.apk from the rom zip.

I installed framework-res.apk and when I try to decompile SecPhone.apk, it goes:

- Loading resource table.....
- Loaded....
- Decoding...

- Loading resource table from C:/...
Then, I get an error, which says Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemory ...
So, I am stuck.

I get errors, but it somehow succeeded decompiling smalis, and I see the lines to delete. So, I really would like to decompile and recompile.
I have downloaded several different apktools, but some give an empty "SecPhone" folder. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I don't know where my mistake is. Could you please give me some advice?

Last edited:

3to4

Aug 13, 2009
Lyon
Succeeded !! but a problem!!

Hello, since my last post above, I have been trying to decompile SecPhone.apk, but none of apktools I tried worked for me. BUT, finally, with APK multi-Tool from the great post below, I was able to decompile and recompile SecPhone.apk.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1310151

I installed framework-res.apk and twframework-res.apk before working with Multi-Tool.

For compiling, I did not chose to keep the original files. (I said "n"). And, after compiling, I copied androidmanifest.xml from the original SecPhone.apk into the compiled apk, replacing the new one. (It did not work the 1st time I did not copy this file.) Certainly, there are other and better ways, but anyway I have a working SecPhone.apk.

However, there is a problem. When I make a call in landscape, I have no buttons on the right side as in the attached photo. (When I make a call in portrait, I have no buttons, neither.) But, I have buttons when I receive a call in landscape and in portrait.

I deleted the 2 lines in each smali (total 4 lines), and I did not change anything else. I am very happy I have a phone, which works in landscape, too, but I would like to have the buttons back. Can you give me some advice?

Thank you for the great thread!!

PS: I am on Scamus V4.

Attachments

• Screen.png
    Screen.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 155
  • Screen2.png
    Screen2.png
    132.4 KB · Views: 152
  • Screen3.png
    Screen3.png
    132.1 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

samuri28

Feb 14, 2011
Hello, since my last post above, I have been trying to decompile SecPhone.apk, but none of apktools I tried worked for me. BUT, finally, with APK multi-Tool from the great post below, I was able to decompile and recompile SecPhone.apk.

I installed framework-res.apk and twframework-res.apk before working with Multi-Tool.

For compiling, I did not chose to keep the original files. (I said "n"). And, after compiling, I copied androidmanifest.xml from the original SecPhone.apk into the compiled apk, replacing the new one. (It did not work the 1st time I did not copy this file.) Certainly, there are other and better ways, but anyway I have a working SecPhone.apk.

However, there is a problem. When I make a call in landscape, I have no buttons on the right side as in the attached photo. (When I make a call in portrait, I have no buttons, neither.) But, I have buttons when I receive a call in landscape and in portrait.

I deleted the 2 lines in each smali (total 4 lines), and I did not change anything else. I am very happy I have a phone, which works in landscape, too, but I would like to have the buttons back. Can you give me some advice?

Can you show the code snippet before you made your changes? and highlight the lines you removed?

Also I ended up using the procedures listed here to finally get my de-compile/re-compile to work:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1809649

Reactions: 3to4

3to4

Aug 13, 2009
Lyon
Can you show the code snippet before you made your changes? and highlight the lines you removed?

Also I ended up using the procedures listed here to finally get my de-compile/re-compile to work:

Thank you very much for your reply. Finally, I deleted another line in each file, and it seems to be working now.
I need to use the phone a little while to see if there is really no problem like freezing, but I got my buttons back.

The lines I deleted are in red.

InCallScreen.smali:

.line 7147

move-result v0

.line 7149

CallCard.smali:

.line 719
if-eqz v0, :cond_4

.line 720

move-result v2

.line 722

That's all.

Thank you again for your posts.

Attachments

• Screen1.png
    Screen1.png
    163.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Screen2.png
    Screen2.png
    93.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Screen3.png
    Screen3.png
    132.5 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

samuri28

Feb 14, 2011
Thank you very much for your reply. Finally, I deleted another line in each file, and it seems to be working now.
I need to use the phone a little while to see if there is really no problem like freezing, but I got my buttons back.

The lines I deleted are in red.

InCallScreen.smali:

.line 7147

move-result v0

.line 7149

CallCard.smali:

.line 719
if-eqz v0, :cond_4

.line 720

move-result v2

.line 722

That's all.

Thank you again for your posts.

Was it this line that you also deleted?

I wonder if this is a ROM specific change as my secPhone.apk still has that line in it.

3to4

Aug 13, 2009
Lyon
Was it this line that you also deleted?

I wonder if this is a ROM specific change as my secPhone.apk still has that line in it.

Yes. This may be rom specific, but as I am no programmer, I cannot tell.

The two additional lines I deleted are;

1) if-nez v0, :cond_6 in InCallScreen.smali

2) if-nez v2, :cond_0 in CallCard.smali.

What I don't really understand is this feature (landscape in-call screen) is integrated in android, but disabled somehow, and you have to hack it to profit from the feature!!

samuri28

Feb 14, 2011
Yes. This may be rom specific, but as I am no programmer, I cannot tell.

The two additional lines I deleted are;

1) if-nez v0, :cond_6 in InCallScreen.smali

2) if-nez v2, :cond_0 in CallCard.smali.

What I don't really understand is this feature (landscape in-call screen) is integrated in android, but disabled somehow, and you have to hack it to profit from the feature!!

From the research I did trying to figure out how to get Landscape In-Call it looks like Samsung for some reason intentionally disabled Docking Mode on its phones and in turn disable auto rotation when in a dock (we forced the phone to auto-rotate regardless of in a dock). However in AOSP this feature is a setting within the phone settings menu, so I am assuming another Samsung intentional exclusion.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    values-es
    values-es-rUS
    values-it

Code:
        .line 7185

move-result v0

.line 7187

Remove the 2 lines:
    Code:
    Code:
    Code:
        .line 7185

move-result v0

.line 7187

Save InCallScreen.smali

Code:
        .line 720

move-result v2

.line 722

Remove the 2 lines:
    Code:
    Code:

Code:
         .line 720

move-result v2

.line 722

Save the CallCard.smali

values-es
    values-es-rUS
    values-it

Mods, is it possible for one of you to move this to the dev section? I feel like this is a pretty significant issue and would like to get the attention of someone who can actually sit down and decipher the proper code settings for this. I've tried doing it myself, but can't get the apk to recompile without errors.

Hello There
    I have P6200 with PAC-Man milestone1 (JB 4.2.1) , and I'm tired to make InCall in Portrait mode post here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2544636)
    I follow this post and I can't find SecPhone.apk
    is there any help ???

Since the P6200 is a tablet I am not sure if the phone program is implemented in the same way as touchwiz on a phone. But you can check the /system/app/phone.apk file and see if that has something similar in it.
    TW 4.4.2

I am coming back to this thread. I recently updated my N7105 to 4.4.2, and I am trying to do this mod.

This mod was working well with N7105 when it had 4.1.2. So, I tried to do the same sort of change in smalis, but for the moment none works.

As I have no basic knowledge about smalis, I am stuck!!

It would be nice, if some developer could shed light on this modification for KitKat.

Thank you.

PS: After a lot of testing, finally this mod seems to be working for me. So, for those who are interested, I am attaching the smalis which show the lines I deleted as well as the screen shots of my N7105. The lines I deleted are preceded by (-) in the attached smalis.
    I don't understand smali codes. So,this may not be the right way to do this, but at least my incall screens are in landscape.