[Q] Samsung galaxy s5 boot animation issues

Search This thread

lgillen14

Sep 4, 2014
Hi it's my first post on here and I recently rooted my Samsung galaxy s5 via towel root and I've been trying to change my bootanimation
It wouldn't work on theme changer in rom toolbox pro. So I tried doing it myself I still have all stock files but it seems that I erased my whole boot animation. When I reboot my phone it just takes me straight to my home screen. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
Simply restore your backup.

If you don't make backups that is a bad habit that you ought to change immediately. In the alternative, then manually revert the files that you changed and your bootanimation will work again. If it doesn't seem to, then wipe your system cache from recovery mode.

If the problem persists, I would suggest that you didn't really revert all of the files that you changed. Check the file permissions and investigate what else your app may have changed on your behalf. In the worst case you can start over by writing a full stock firmware image to your phone. A lot more painful than restoring a backup that would reflect how your phone was four hours ago. But a certain lack of planning will limit choices that way.

As to the boot animation per se, Samsung requires a .qmg animation file, while most apps use a bootanimation.zip formatted file. Ergo you usually need to convert your .zip file to a qmg. Or modify your kernel to use the .zip format. There are lots of existing threads that explain in detail how to do either which you would know if you had done a search before posting. I would suggest that it is always in your own interest to do at least a quick search first, if only so that you can pose more informed questions.

lgillen14

Sep 4, 2014
Simply restore your backup.

If you don't make backups that is a bad habit that you ought to change immediately. In the alternative, then manually revert the files that you changed and your bootanimation will work again. If it doesn't seem to, then wipe your system cache from recovery mode.

If the problem persists, I would suggest that you didn't really revert all of the files that you changed. Check the file permissions and investigate what else your app may have changed on your behalf. In the worst case you can start over by writing a full stock firmware image to your phone. A lot more painful than restoring a backup that would reflect how your phone was four hours ago. But a certain lack of planning will limit choices that way.

As to the boot animation per se, Samsung requires a .qmg animation file, while most apps use a bootanimation.zip formatted file. Ergo you usually need to convert your .zip file to a qmg. Or modify your kernel to use the .zip format. There are lots of existing threads that explain in detail how to do either which you would know if you had done a search before posting. I would suggest that it is always in your own interest to do at least a quick search first, if only so that you can pose more informed questions.

yeah its okay I just reverted everything and it works fine. I still want to but I don't wanna mess it up again. But yes I just reverted the files back and I'm okay. But I wanted a custom boot animation but there's really no clear tutorial on how to.

lgillen14

Sep 4, 2014
Not true. You need to search better as I have seen several of them. And if memory serves, written at least one myself.

do I need a different rom? I don't even know how do do any of that lime I've rooted all my phones but not gone seriously in depth about it. I don't know what I did wrong the first time and when I tried following directions and it almost messed me up. So could you guide me toward the appropriate thread I need to get to? Thanks

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
do I need a different rom?

No, you simply need to do a search and read the existing boot animation guides. A lot of people claim to search when they really didn't. Or did one simplistic search and gave up, thinking it's easier if someone spoon feeds them. If you try a few different keywords you'll find the guides and everything you need.

You don't need a different ROM. Root is sufficient to change the boot animation file. If you want to make a qmg animation from scratch you can use Samsung's theme designer software.