[Q] Touchless Control and UConnect hands-free system.

Search This thread

gangrif

Mar 30, 2011
So, this may have been brought up already, I did try to search, but didnt come up with much.

So, i bought a Moto X, even after hearing the lenovo/google news. I figure that they cant ruin the device quickly enough to justify second-guessing my long and painstaking decision process.

Anyway, touchless control is pretty awesome. Ive been tinkering with it since i got it. I'm a long time android user, and have been using google now for some time. The problem is this.

I drive a 2013 Jeep, with a UConnect bluetooth hands-free system. It works for what its supposed to work for, i can make calls, stream audio, all is well. In fact its working better than it did on my old GNex. However, once I connect my motox to UConnect (that is, i get in, turn on the Jeep, and bluetooth associates), touchless control becomes unresponsive. In fact, it seems that even if i try to manually initiate a voice search, google now cant hear me. I can use the voice input for the keyboard, just not voice commands. It's almost like as soon as i'm paired to a bluetooth input, google now voice input/touchless control get turned off. Which to me seems odd.

I tried looking around in my settings, i cant seem to find a setting that tells the phone to do this. It just doesnt work.

Also, if i turn off bluetooth while the Jeep is still running, touchless/voice input starts working again.

I havent tried pairing it to another bluetooth headset to see if it does it then too, i'll update this thread once i've had a chance to try that.

Is this something others are experiencing? Is it supposed to do this for some safety feature, and I dont know it?

Thanks!

gangrif

Mar 30, 2011
Ok, results.
I found the Bluetooth headset option was turned off by default. I turned it on. Last night I had a chance to fiddle with it on my way home. At first it didn't work. So i went back into the Google now settings and turned the option back off, and..... It started working! I have no idea why. I'm actually back in the same config I started with, but now it's working. Weird.