[Q] Cancelling In-Progress OTA Updates?

Search This thread

ElectroPulse

Jul 23, 2014
Hello, all!

I'm wondering, how do you cancel an OTA update once it has started? I mean after it has downloaded, and you have chosen to install it.

Here's my problem: Everyone talks about how running an OTA update unroots your phone. No problem, I can just re-root it. What no one talks about (at least I didn't run across it before doing this) is installing OTA updates when you have TWRP installed...

So, my phone downloaded the update, and it asked me to install it. I accepted, it restarted, and TWRP came up. From there, nothing happened. I tried restarting it, and it booted up just fine. After about a minute of being up, the "Phone is shutting down" (or something along those lines) message pops up, and it reboots again.

I'm wondering, how do I go about cancelling the update? I've read online I need to download the update manually and run it through TWRP, but until I learn how to do that (and spend a few hours downloading it on this freaking slow internet connection), I would like to be able to use my phone.

Another alternative that I don't know whether is possible, can I somehow use TWRP to browse to where the OTA update was downloaded to, and install it through there? If so, what would the procedure be for doing so?

Thanks!
ElectroPulse

meekrawb

Mar 25, 2012
TX
Another alternative that I don't know whether is possible, can I somehow use TWRP to browse to where the OTA update was downloaded to, and install it through there? If so, what would the procedure be for doing so?

Boot into TWRP, click install, click(Up A Level) until you are at "/" and look in the cache folder for the update zip.
It should be in there.

ElectroPulse

Jul 23, 2014
Boot into TWRP, click install, click(Up A Level) until you are at "/" and look in the cache folder for the update zip.
It should be in there.

Thanks for the reply!

Is it the "Blur_Version21.23.4.peregrine_retus.retus.en.US.zip" file? If so, that didn't work... Unfortunately it failed.

Here's what it said just before failing:

Verifying current system...
"/system/bin/debuggerd" has unexpected contents.
E: Error executing updater binary in zip '/cache/..."
Error flashing zip '/cache/..."
Updating partition details...

Any ideas?

Thanks!
ElectroPulse

meekrawb

Mar 25, 2012
TX
Thanks for the reply!

Is it the "Blur_Version21.23.4.peregrine_retus.retus.en.US.zip" file? If so, that didn't work... Unfortunately it failed.

Here's what it said just before failing:

Verifying current system...
"/system/bin/debuggerd" has unexpected contents.
E: Error executing updater binary in zip '/cache/..."
Error flashing zip '/cache/..."
Updating partition details...

Any ideas?

You must have stickmount installed. Uninstall it and try again.

Note: If you changed or deleted anything in /system partition the install will keep failing. You'd have to fastboot flash the system img's from the 4.4.3 firmware.

ElectroPulse

Jul 23, 2014
You must have stickmount installed. Uninstall it and try again.

Note: If you changed or deleted anything in /system partition the install will keep failing. You'd have to fastboot flash the system img's from the 4.4.3 firmware.

Thank you for the reply.

Nope, Stickmount is not installed. Not sure what other apps there are that could cause this.

Not sure whether I've changed anything in /system... I don't believe I have, but an app I installed very much could have.

I'll look up this "fastboot flash" you are referring to.

Anyway, for now I am good. I copied the .zip OTA downloaded file to another location, hit the "clear dalvik and cache," rebooted, and I'm back to a working 4.4.3.

Problem solved until I decide to try to get 4.4.4 installed! (which I may never end up doing... Now that Cyanogenmod is officially out for Peregrine, I'm probably going to flash it with that when it gets stable enough (i.e. no RAM issues)).