[PROGRAM] Heimdall - Open-Source Cross-Platform Flashing Suite (1.3.2 Now Available)

Search This thread

sunseaker

Oct 18, 2005
I'm running Heimdall on openSUSE 11.4. I'm getting the following error when trying to print the PIT file using the frontend. The device is detected fine.

Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
ERROR: Failed to access device. libusb error: -3

The logs show.
Code:
Oct  3 12:47:31 suntp001 kernel: [17664.563092] usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 14
Oct  3 12:47:31 suntp001 kernel: [17664.759616] usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=04e8, idProduct=685d
Oct  3 12:47:31 suntp001 kernel: [17664.759624] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
Oct  3 12:47:31 suntp001 kernel: [17664.759631] usb 1-2: Product: Gadget Serial
Oct  3 12:47:31 suntp001 kernel: [17664.806788] cdc_acm 1-2:2.0: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is not a modem.
Oct  3 12:47:31 suntp001 kernel: [17664.806906] cdc_acm 1-2:2.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
Oct  3 12:47:31 suntp001 mtp-probe: checking bus 1, device 14: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-2"
Oct  3 12:47:32 suntp001 mtp-probe: bus: 1, device: 14 was not an MTP device

I've tried different usb ports but the same result.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Last edited:

sunseaker

Oct 18, 2005
OK, I discovered that if I run Heimdall as root I don't get the libusb error. Seems like there is a permission issue somewhere which I'll look into later. Anyway it lead me to discover another issue which I'm not sure if it's a Heimdall or Rom issue.

I tried to flash the CPW version of the KI4 rom from Intratech (with the old bootloader added to allow the jig to work) (GT-I9100_CPW_I9100XWKI4_I9100CPWKH1_I9100XXKI1). It appeared to flash fine but afterwards I was stuck in a boot loop. I deleted the user data as described in the boot loop thread following all the instructions to the letter but every time I flashed the KI4 rom it resulted in a boot loop. Flashing back to my previous KE7 rom each time worked fine.

I was using the PIT file I got from my KE7 rom when flashing the KI4 rom. Is that the right thing to do or should I find a PIT for the KI4 rom?

In the end I resorted to flashing the KI4 rom using Odin on a friend's PC which worked flawlessly. So the rom from Intratech appears to be fine.

So what may be causing Heimdall to not perform the flash properly with the KI4 rom?

cad_2011

Apr 14, 2011
Melbourne
downloaded 1.3.0, installed on OSX Lion
put my SGS2 into download mode
start console and run "heimdall detect"

and have this error:

"Failed to detect compatible download-mode device"

any ideas?

almorsol

May 30, 2011
Costa Rica
I am trying to flash an update using Heimdall.
Let me ask you one problem I have with it.
It is not recognizing the phone when I click on start. To start the flash.
It says: Unable to find compatible device.
I try Lusbs and it finds the android device.

I use Ubuntu. So cannot go Odin.
I know that with Odin, when you are going to flash, you set the phone in download mode, then plug it, and wait for the Odin to recognize it.
What about heimdall? I see nothing that tells me that it has been recognized by heimdall.

Any idea is well appreciated.

sunseaker

Oct 18, 2005
I am trying to flash an update using Heimdall.
Let me ask you one problem I have with it.
It is not recognizing the phone when I click on start. To start the flash.
It says: Unable to find compatible device.
I try Lusbs and it finds the android device.

I use Ubuntu. So cannot go Odin.
I know that with Odin, when you are going to flash, you set the phone in download mode, then plug it, and wait for the Odin to recognize it.
What about heimdall? I see nothing that tells me that it has been recognized by heimdall.

Any idea is well appreciated.

OK a few questions. Are you using the frontend to flash? If so, after you've put your phone into download mode and connected the usb cable have you clicked on the utilities tab and detect device? Did it find the device? If yes then try print the pit file. What is the error message if it fails?

Have you tried running heimdall-frontend as root? You may have a permission problem like I did. Did you compile heimdall yourself or install from the package?

Make sure that your device is infact listed in the rules file (mine is 60-heimdall-galaxy-s.rules located in /lib/udev/rules.d/ (I use openSUSE so your path may be different). My rules file didn't have my device listed which gave me the permissions problem. You can find out what your phone's usb device id is by running lsusb from the console with your phone plugged in.

Reactions: almorsol

almorsol

May 30, 2011
Costa Rica
Thank you man!
I didn't know I had to do that. I will try it tonight.
I am using Front end. But didn't go to utilities and detect device.
I will try it and let you know.

Thank you!

almorsol

May 30, 2011
Costa Rica
Hi again, I was able to flash KI8 on the phone now.

But how can I root it?
I flashed only the insecured kernel using heimdall, and now I have the yellow triangle at start. But no root. What to do?
Also, it didn't installed Superuser or CWM.
Any ideas?
Thank you!

sunseaker

Oct 18, 2005
OK, first.
How exactly did you flash KI8?
Did you use the rom from Intratech's ROM thread and was it one with the old bootloaders?
Did you extract the rom file and flash all the files contained inside? There are normally around eight files inside.
You should have no yellow triangle at this stage.

Second
How did you root?
Did you flash the zImage file from the insecure KI8 Kernel found here.
That should have installed CWM and Superuser. If not then I'm not sure what went wrong.

With regards to the yellow triangle, you need a usb jig to remove that (cheaply available on ebay) but this will only work if you flashed the old bootloader with KI8 (which it should have if you got the rom from Intratech). I'm not sure if there is another way to remove the triangle without a jig as I have always used a jig.

almorsol

May 30, 2011
Costa Rica
Hi, and thank you for your reply.
I did flash the KI8 firmware from Intratech's ROM thread. Not the Frankestain. The stock one.

I then flashed an insecured kernell, but not from the thread you just mentioned.
I got it somewhere else. So the yellow triangle was there. But not the root, so what I did was to replace it with the stock kernel to make the triangle dissapear.
Tonight I will try the root kernel from the site you mentioned.

Thank you again.

PD: Heimdall is not that hard to use once you get the hang of it! :D

Last edited:

sunseaker

Oct 18, 2005
Good. See how it goes with the kernel from the link I sent. It should work - well those kernels from that site always worked for me.

And yes, Heimdall is pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it.

almorsol

May 30, 2011
Costa Rica
It worked. I am rooted now.
However, the yellow triangle will not disappear. It is not something that bothers me a lot.
But out of curiosity, why is that? I flashed the KI8 that was on the thread above.

Thank you

Reactions: AdamOutler

sunseaker

Oct 18, 2005
Yes of course the triangle is being displayed. You flashed a non stock kernel. There are two ways to get rid of it.

1) Buy or make a reset jig. This will remove the triangle and reset the flash counter.

2) Use the method described here. This will remove the triangle but will not reset the flash counter.

EDIT: Just to be clear, the rest jig only works if you use roms from Intratech with the old bootloader added. I don't know how to remove the triangle or even if it's possible for the new bootloaders as I haven't studied that yet.

Last edited:

almorsol

May 30, 2011
Costa Rica
Thanks again man!
I will try that later on. It is not an urgency to me. But it is good to know it can still be removed when this triangle starts anoying me.

Regards and thanks again!

wgery

Apr 2, 2009
Budapest
Hello!

I want to flash a stock rom for my GSII on linux.I've insalled heimdall 1.3.1 and the frontend version of HEIMDALL.

My problem is that if I browse the xxxx.tar file (the rom file contains everything) it starts to extract and decompress it and then...

It says it doesn't finds the frimware.xml

My question is how to get a correct firmware.xml or how to make easily a firmware.xml and where to put in the .tar file?

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Hello!

I want to flash a stock rom for my GSII on linux.I've insalled heimdall 1.3.1 and the frontend version of HEIMDALL.

My problem is that if I browse the xxxx.tar file (the rom file contains everything) it starts to extract and decompress it and then...

It says it doesn't finds the frimware.xml

My question is how to get a correct firmware.xml or how to make easily a firmware.xml and where to put in the .tar file?
...fixed it...:)

Now my problem is that is dropping libusb error: 4 (cannot acces devie) any ideas?

lownoise

Sep 3, 2010
Benjamin,

Thanks for the upgrade from your great tool!
However it looks like there is a little bug in the newest version
If you do heimdall print-pit on linux 32bit you end with a segmentation fault, after restarting your phone you get the computer phone screen. With the heimdall close-pc-screen your phone will boot normaly.
Tested on a sgs-i9000

I'll paste here the log files from version v1.3.1 and v1.3.2
Version v1.3.1 http://pastebin.com/tSZGA3KZ
Version v1.3.2 http://pastebin.com/MQs798i8

Benjamin Dobell

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 1, 2010
Melbourne
www.glassechidna.com.au
Benjamin,

Thanks for the upgrade from your great tool!
However it looks like there is a little bug in the newest version
If you do heimdall print-pit on linux 32bit you end with a segmentation fault, after restarting your phone you get the computer phone screen. With the heimdall close-pc-screen your phone will boot normaly.
Tested on a sgs-i9000

I'll paste here the log files from version v1.3.1 and v1.3.2
Version v1.3.1 http://pastebin.com/tSZGA3KZ
Version v1.3.2 http://pastebin.com/MQs798i8
Hmm, I'll definitely take a look. However, I do all my testing on GT-I9000 and GT-I9100 (because they're the only devices I own) and I didn't encounter this.

Has anyone else encountered this?

intronauta

Aug 29, 2009
Hmm, I'll definitely take a look. However, I do all my testing on GT-I9000 and GT-I9100 (because they're the only devices I own) and I didn't encounter this.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Without problems with Ubuntu 11.10 64bits, heimdall 1.3.2 and my i9100.

PIT is printed fine and without segment fault error->pc-screen.

mai77

Nov 16, 2011
error: -12

My driver installation on Windows went well, but I'm getting "Failed to access device. Error: -12"

Any help? Also, Odin does not see my phone!

same here. In my case it is because I plugged in a Sam Galaxy Y, which is not supported.

I then switched back to the old driver instead of libUSB, and ODIN recognized the phone again. :)

To flash new kernels (boot.img), we usually just dd them to /dev/bml7 after bmlunlock, which can be done while mobile.

it would be very interesting to see a valid PIT file printout. can s.o.please post one ?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Original Thread:

What is Heimdall?
    Heimdall is a cross-platform open-source tool suite used to flash ROMs onto Samsung Galaxy S devices.

How does it work?
    Heimdall uses the same protocol as Odin to interact with a device in download mode. USB communication in Heimdall is handled by the popular open-source USB library, libusb-1.0.

Why “Heimdall”?
    The flashing software Odin is named after the king of gods in Norse mythology. Loke, the software component on the Galaxy S that provides functionality to flash, may also to be named after an important character in Norse mythology, often translated as Loki. As such I have named my flashing software Heimdall, after the Norse god, and guardian of the Bifrost Bridge.

What platforms does Heimdall run on?
    Linux, OS X and Windows (XP, Vista, 7 etc.)

Why use Heimdall when we can use Odin?
    Odin is generally unreliable and only runs on Windows systems. Furthermore, Odin is leaked Samsung software that is not freely available or well understood by the community.

Is Heimdall safe?
    No matter what method you chose, flashing firmware onto your phone has a lot of potential for disaster. We have tested Heimdall with a variety of phones flashing several different firmware versions resulting in a 100% success rate. As such we believe that Heimdall is generally reliable. However keep in mind, just like any flashing software, Heimdall has the potential to brick your phone if not used correctly.

How do Galaxy S phones get bricked when flashing?
    Besides the inherent risks like power outs, accidental removal of the USB cable etc. The Galaxy S appears to be running extremely unreliable USB control software.

A failure to flash does not automatically equate to a bricked phone. However if you're extremely unlucky and the flash fails whilst transferring the primary boot-loader, secondary boot-loader or params.lfs (all quite small) than you've got yourself a paper weight that you're hoping Samsung will replace.

Please be extremely careful mixing files from different firmware releases. Don't do so unless you're certain it will work!

What Galaxy S variants has Heimdall been tested with?
    We’ve tested Heimdall with a Galaxy S GT-I9000 (8 GB) from the United Kingdom and Galaxy S GT-I9000 (16 GB) from Australia. We don’t personally have access to any other devices to test with, however users have confirmed Heimdall functions correctly with the AT&T Captivate, Bell Vibrant, Telstra GT-I9000T, Epic 4G and the Galaxy Tab.

Enough talk, where can we get it?
    The latest release is available here. Please read the instructions and README files included in the archives.

I love you, man. Will you have my baby?
    No, but I will very gladly accept donations. If you appreciate my work and would like to support future development you can make a donation here. If you think you have something else to offer, then feel free to shoot me a PM or contact me via the contact form on the Glass Echidna website.
    Source has been pushed to Github. Let me know how it goes for you Galaxy S II folk.

If you're appreciative of the updates don't forget to donate so I can get myself a Galaxy S II :)
    Heimdall 1.2.0 command line binaries are now available. Debian 32-bit, Debian 64-bit, Windows and OS X (universal) are all available.
    Heimdall Suite 1.3 (beta 1) binaries are now available from here.

If you're a developer or in any way interested in the brand new Heimdall Firmware Package format then this thread may also be of interest. Please spread the word about the packaging format. If mass adopted I think it has the potential to save a lot of accidental bricks!

Oh, and because this is a beta release it's the perfect time for users to report issues. However if you're going to do so please provide as much information as possible and post the issues using the Github issue tracker. Unfortunately just reporting problems isn't always that useful to me. So if you're able to report particular cases in which Heimdall fails but Odin succeeds then that's particularly important. Even better are USB captures of this process taking place!
    How exactly would I flash a PDA file with that? It doesn't have --pda in the help, and I don't really want to guess ;)

Flo

You have to extract the .tar file, inside you will find different things like factoryfs.img, modem.bin, zImage (which is the kernel) etc. Which file is for which option is pretty self explanatory - except maybe kernel (zImage) and secondary bootloader (Sbl.bin). If in doubt, ask here or see if you can find the answer over in the original thread for Galaxy S :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk