disaster after i delete /data/dalvik-cache folder, help !

Search This thread

dalvikna

May 12, 2014
since the inner storage is limited, i want to move dalvik-cache to sd-card, so i delete /data/dalvik-cache, then create a sym link named /data/dalvik-cache there which point to /mnt/sdcard/cache which is also a folder, this appears to works at first, since some dex files are created at /mnt/sdcard/cache folder which is initailly empty, but after i reboot my android phone, it stayed at boot process, even hours.

i wanna repair my phone, there are still some important data there, such as contact data, messages , and communication log.

Facts:
Now i can adb shell to my android device, but failed to run su command, which works well before i delete the folder /data/dalvik-cache, the error message is as follows:
adb shell
$ su // dollar symbol indicates i can connect to my device
su
[1] Segmentation fault su // why i failed to run this su command now?

Questions:
i can still connect to my android phone using adb shell, but i cannot run su command to get root priority now, if i can have root priority, i can delete that sym link named dalvik-cache, and all the things would be well, but how to delete that sym link now?

Last edited:

sachin.parmar100

Jan 19, 2014
Indore
Oh, that's really awkward situation then, what else have u tried?
Tried booting without sd card?
And that's really strange coz i did the same mistake on my previous device (deleting the dalvik-cache folder) but surprisingly it rebooted up normally, took a longer time though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

dalvikna

May 12, 2014
Oh, that's really awkward situation then, what else have u tried?
Tried booting without sd card?
And that's really strange coz i did the same mistake on my previous device (deleting the dalvik-cache folder) but surprisingly it rebooted up normally, took a longer time though.

the difference is that i created a symlink named dalvik-cache there, so that the folder named dalvik-cache could not be recreated when the phone is booting. but when i delete that folder named dalvik-cache using gui, and create a symlink which points a folder in sdcard, it seems works well, since some dex files are created in the that folder in sd card, but the device failed when reboot, maybe the problem is that sd card driver is not loaded that the android os cannot load gui dex from sd card, so that i can only connect to my device using adb shell, and the gui just stayed in the process of booting:(

sachin.parmar100

Jan 19, 2014
Indore
It's because sd card loading takes a bit of time even after boot, while OS requires the dex files during the booting process, that might the causing the issue as it tries to access sd card b'coz of that symlink, but i have no idea of solving this :(

tr3w

Aug 13, 2010
It's because sd card loading takes a bit of time even after boot, while OS requires the dex files during the booting process, that might the causing the issue as it tries to access sd card b'coz of that symlink, but i have no idea of solving this :(

It's not just the fact it takes time, the main problem is it happens way later in the boot process, that's why it won't happen even hours later...

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

since the inner storage is limited, i want to move dalvik-cache to sd-card, so i delete /data/dalvik-cache, then create a sym link named /data/dalvik-cache there which point to /mnt/sdcard/cache which is also a folder, this appears to works at first, since some dex files are created at /mnt/sdcard/cache folder which is initailly empty, but after i reboot my android phone, it stayed at boot process, even hours.

i wanna repair my phone, there are still some important data there, such as contact data, messages , and communication log.

Facts:
Now i can adb shell to my android device, but failed to run su command, which works well before i delete the folder /data/dalvik-cache, the error message is as follows:
adb shell
su

Questions:
i can still connect to my android phone using adb shell, but i cannot run su command to get root priority now, if i can have root priority, i can delete that sym link named dalvik-cache, and all the things would be well, but how to delete that sym link now?

Did you try anything else?
Can you see all the folders?

tr3w

Aug 13, 2010
Last edited:

V.K.A

Jan 7, 2014
Hyderabad

Facts:
adb shell
su

Questions:

try reflashing the stock..!!

dalvikna

May 12, 2014
It's not just the fact it takes time, the main problem is it happens way later in the boot process, that's why it won't happen even hours later...

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

Did you try anything else?
Can you see all the folders?

i can only see some of them, and my adb failed to get root prioirty now,
i cannot cd /mnt directory

tr3w

Aug 13, 2010
i can only see some of them, and my adb failed to get root prioirty now,
i cannot cd /mnt directory

As I wrote earlier, creating your own update.zip can work, because it's not just for files, but you can put scripts in it, which will run when you "install" it.
Search for tutorials in this forum, you can find how you can do that...

smart123123

Feb 27, 2016
Simplest and quickest solution.... move to ur recovery (stock or other).... wipe cache partition... this will reset the path and not delete anything in your phone...