[G-Apps][GUIDE] Google Apps on the Kindle Fire -Getting Around the Update 11/30-

Search This thread

Jolleyboy

Dec 30, 2010
Rexburg
There was a silent update pushed by Amazon that breaks market.
Don't Panic!
Fixing it is a breeze if you've already done it once. Just re-follow these instructions to get your market back up and working. Once again, Props go to Bandage for writing these easy to understand and follow instructions.

Prerequisites

Root your Kindle Fire

Download the following apks
GoogleServicesFramework.apk
Vending.apk (Latest Version 3.3.11)
See HERE for .apk downloads (complete GApps zip file)

Root Explorer App (or similar that lets you change ro/rw permissions)

Side Loading Apps activated on Kindle Fire
On the Kindle Fire Settings screen, go to “Device” and turn On “Allow Installation of Application From Unknown Sources”

Instructions

1. Transfer the .apk files to your Kindle Fire via PC / Mac (remember where you put them)

2. Open Root Explorer App, and navigate to the transferred .apk files

3. Select the GoogleServiceFramework.apk and install

4. When complete, click "Done" and return to the file location for Vending.apk

5. Long-press Vending.apk and select the "Move" option on pop-up menu
Navigate to /system/app folder

6. Change mount option from RO to RW (read-only to read-write)
Paste Vending.apk into the /system/app folder

7. Long-press Vending.apk and select "Permissions" from pop-up menu
Change permissions to match all other apps in this folder (rw-r--r--)

8. Install Vending.apk

9. Reboot your Kindle Fire

Once reboot is complete, select Market App and log-in as usual.
Enjoy!

You will most likely notice some familiar apps missing from the market, as this device is lacking certain hardware specifications. However, once custom ROMs start appearing for the Kindle Fire, it is a safe bet it will no longer be the case.

Also, the Market App will not show up in the default Amazon Launcher.
You will need to install an alternate launcher (ie Go Launcher EX, ADW).
Find instructions HERE.
For another option than installing an alternate option, check out this work around also!

Credits
JolleyBoy
mashi
Bandage.

Last edited:

ckong1

Jan 16, 2008
New York
still can't get the market to work... it's driving me crazy. followed all your steps to the T...

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

Also, youtube doesn't seem to have volume control. Unless i'm blind and just missing it.

Jackalx

Sep 21, 2008
still can't get the market to work... it's driving me crazy. followed all your steps to the T...

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

Also, youtube doesn't seem to have volume control. Unless i'm blind and just missing it.

Same Market doesn't work for me either. I followed the steps completley and Market just doesn't work.

ckong1

Jan 16, 2008
New York
when i used vending.apk from my sensation it would open but fc whenever i tried to dl anything. I used the file from your guide and it won't open. Is it possible I made some kind of error rooting? I see superuser and can use root explorer.

Jolleyboy

Dec 30, 2010
Rexburg
Market still force closes for me. Also reader and gmail are not the tablet versions

I can't fathom why its working for me and not for you . . . it took me several tries. I jumped around to a few different market apps, training them, and restarting each time with the different ones. What finally worked was the version posted above, installed clean (by uninstalling the previous versions I'd tried) clearing data, trying to open it, and then restarting the fire.

I haven't tried those. Could you post the tablet versions?

MOPhiPsi

Oct 5, 2010
Wow, awesome thread...I have everything working except the market...I can't seem to get it to work without force closing...

Anyone have a solution?

I even have the new google music up and running!

Jolleyboy

Dec 30, 2010
Rexburg
CKong, I doubt you rooted wrong. This might sound retarded, but try uninstalling the app and reinstalling it with the same app . . . when you do this right market will disappear from the kindle launcher, but its listed when you switch to go launcher

MOPhiPsi

Oct 5, 2010
I have everything but Market...I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling...everything...

No luck...

I would also be interested int he apk's for the tablet version of Gmail and Reader if anyone has them...

zenopzz

Mar 22, 2011
Cincinnati Ohio
I have restarted, both apk's, cleared data and cashe many times, no luck.

What is your system version? Im running 6.1 but I noticed the source code is 6.2 on amazon.com

Last edited:

Jolleyboy

Dec 30, 2010
Rexburg
Then we've reached the end of what my know-how can help with. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. The other thread recommends installing DownloadProvider.apk from http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Barebones

I didn't have to do that, I just fiddled with the previously recommended steps until it worked. It took me most of the day. I hope you can get it going before too long!

Good Luck1

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh
NOt that I"m a kindle genius but this works for other FC issues on ROMS on other devices. Is there a fix permissions script that can be run to fix permissions on the market app? It was one of the recommended fixes for when the new Facebook app would crash on devices without a GPS on board.

MOPhiPsi

Oct 5, 2010
Then we've reached the end of what my know-how can help with. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. The other thread recommends installing DownloadProvider.apk from http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Barebones

I didn't have to do that, I just fiddled with the previously recommended steps until it worked. It took me most of the day. I hope you can get it going before too long!

Good Luck1

Where do I actually find this apk file...it doesnt appear I can download it from that site. I have the market working using the version I put on here but it force closes when I try to download an app...i think this is the reason why...I need this apk and can't find where to download it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There was a silent update pushed by Amazon that breaks market.
    Don't Panic!
    Fixing it is a breeze if you've already done it once. Just re-follow these instructions to get your market back up and working. Once again, Props go to Bandage for writing these easy to understand and follow instructions.

Prerequisites

Root your Kindle Fire

Download the following apks
    GoogleServicesFramework.apk
    Vending.apk (Latest Version 3.3.11)
    See HERE for .apk downloads (complete GApps zip file)

Root Explorer App (or similar that lets you change ro/rw permissions)

Side Loading Apps activated on Kindle Fire
    On the Kindle Fire Settings screen, go to “Device” and turn On “Allow Installation of Application From Unknown Sources”

Instructions

1. Transfer the .apk files to your Kindle Fire via PC / Mac (remember where you put them)

2. Open Root Explorer App, and navigate to the transferred .apk files

3. Select the GoogleServiceFramework.apk and install

4. When complete, click "Done" and return to the file location for Vending.apk

5. Long-press Vending.apk and select the "Move" option on pop-up menu
    Navigate to /system/app folder

6. Change mount option from RO to RW (read-only to read-write)
    Paste Vending.apk into the /system/app folder

7. Long-press Vending.apk and select "Permissions" from pop-up menu
    Change permissions to match all other apps in this folder (rw-r--r--)

8. Install Vending.apk

9. Reboot your Kindle Fire

Once reboot is complete, select Market App and log-in as usual.
    Enjoy!

You will most likely notice some familiar apps missing from the market, as this device is lacking certain hardware specifications. However, once custom ROMs start appearing for the Kindle Fire, it is a safe bet it will no longer be the case.

Also, the Market App will not show up in the default Amazon Launcher.
    You will need to install an alternate launcher (ie Go Launcher EX, ADW).
    Find instructions HERE.
    For another option than installing an alternate option, check out this work around also!

Credits
    JolleyBoy
    mashi
    Bandage.
    Market Opener

I wanted to be able to use the market via the Kindle UI, so I threw together an app that has a market icon and just launches the market. Since some others were wanting to do the same I figured I'd share:

http://munday.ws/kindlefire/MarketOpener.apk

This does not install the market or make it work, that's all up to you. It just launches the already installed market app. If you don't have the market installed, it will just tell you that it can't find the market.

Here's a screenshot to show what the icon looks like:
    market-opener.png
    One important note to installing market with full functionality...

You must move the .apk to system/apps and set permissions correctly, BEFORE installing it. It will continue to FC if you just install it like a traditional .apk.

Do this, and report back...make sure you uninstall any previous installations first....then reboot, then install as I instructed.

My market working 100%
    Where can I download the current calendar apk?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

We haven't gotten calendar to work yet.

---------- Post added at 03:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 AM ----------

Got the calendar working!!! Had to copy googlecalendarsyncadapter.apk to /system/app, and then just installed the calendar apk, rebooted, and bam. calendar working and syncing. will post apks when i get a minute.. definitely need root for this tho.

EDIT: APKs Attached

googlecalendarsyncadapter.apk - copy to /system/app and change permissions to rw-r--r-- (reboot, maybe required?)
    calendar.apk - install like any other apk
    What permissions should the APK be set to?

same as the rest of the apps listed there
    rw-r--r--