ICS Skyrocket Port: Call Echo Issue

Search This thread

Darmokk

Jun 13, 2011
DFW, TX
Flashed the Skyrocket ICS port from Racing, and in addition to the minor issues we've all read about already (screen auto rotation, gallery issues, etc.), This thread is to track the only deal-breaker that can keep this port from being a daily driver IMO, the call echo issue.

If you don't know (or maybe the people you've talked to are too polite to tell you lol) some people are experiencing caller echo on voice calls. Usually the person who is talking to you on the phone hears their own voice echoing back to them, as if you were on a bad cellular connection.

I have got around the issue (somewhat) by using the speakerphone, but obviously that's not a viable longterm fix. I believe if you use a bluetooth headset you can also get around this bug.

Anyone else experiencing this, and if so does anyone know of any work-arounds we could try? Maybe from the play store, or something that's worked on another device?

scuzzbag87

Jul 26, 2011
Tustin
Yea I have this issue. Everyone says they hear an echo from my phone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA

Darmokk

Jun 13, 2011
DFW, TX
Also after some research looks like some people experienced this Call echo bug on their own stock AT&T Skyrockets when they were released.

Many people reported that they could fix the issue by enabling "Noise reduction" in the settings, but I haven't been able to find that option on the T-989.

EDIT: The reason the "noise reduction" option is unable to be found, is because google has removed the feature from ICS. Lots of Galaxy Nexus guys have had issues with call echo and voice quality in general.

Interestingly, a lot of people also got rid of the bug by NOT using their phone cases which seems strange to me. So anyone that has the bug, please try it with and without your case present to see if that helps clear it up.

There are also reports that if turn OFF (uncheck) USB debugging that helps in some cases. I'll test myself and report back

Last edited:

minotauri

Jun 18, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.antdroid.net
i dont think i have this issue. was on the phone with girlfriend for long time as well as tmobile 611 for a while today and no one had issues. i also tried to leave myself a voicemail and it sounded fine. i dont use a case though. i use a ghost armor-like clear film.

Darmokk

Jun 13, 2011
DFW, TX
i dont think i have this issue. was on the phone with girlfriend for long time as well as tmobile 611 for a while today and no one had issues. i also tried to leave myself a voicemail and it sounded fine. i dont use a case though. i use a ghost armor-like clear film.

I'm not using a case at all and still get the echo issue.

As a temporary fix, I've found you can turn speakerphone on and then off real quick and that helps quite a bit (although it doesn't go away completely). the only annoying thing is you'd have to do that each time you made a call or answered the phone.

capcanuck

May 3, 2011
Just tried the usb debugging unchecked, no dice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Darmokk

Jun 13, 2011
DFW, TX
Yeah USB debugging has no effect for me either, nor does using a particular case or not using one at all. Same result.

BlackElvis79

May 2, 2009
SoCal
I don't see how your case would affect the person calling you hearing their own voice on their device. I called myself from my wife's phone, and it really is horrible. But this isn't just an ICS issue. I had the same issue on the GB ROM I was running also.

When I hit mute on my phone (SGS2), I couldn't hear the echo on her phone. Interesting, maybe helps troubleshoot? Also, I couldn't hear it when I covered my earpiece(SGS2). Would that mean its an issue with the mic? Maybe its so sensitive its picking up sound from the earpiece?

I'm not dangerous... RACISM is.

Last edited:

Mudkip

Apr 22, 2009
Springfield
I don't see how your case would affect the person calling you hearing their own voice on their device. I called myself from my wife's phone, and it really is horrible. But this isn't just an ICS issue. I had the same issue on the GB ROM I was running, also.

EDIT: When I hit mute on my phone SGS2, I couldn't here the echo on her phone. Interesting, maybe helps troubleshoot? Also, I couldn't here it when I covered my earpiece.

Its not just a tmobile thing. The original otterbox for iphone had a echo. Some foam would cause reverb and distort mic causing a echo. Many cases for many phones have had this issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

BlackElvis79

May 2, 2009
SoCal
Its not just a tmobile thing. The original otterbox for iphone had a echo. Some foam would cause reverb and distort mic causing a echo. Many cases for many phones have had this issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

I see. I still think its a mic issue tho, because I use a D3O case and I made test calls with and without the case with the same results.

EDIT: BTW, this I tested on both GB and ICS

EDIT2: Did you mean the case on the SGS2, or on the phone used to call it? Just to be clear.

Last edited:

myowin

Apr 4, 2010
turn down incoming volume

I had same problem and found somewhere in the forum that suggesting to turn down the incoming call volume. so I did and the echo was almost dissapear.
I guess this could be temp fix until someone come up with something else. :D

Reactions: Android_Monsters

Darmokk

Jun 13, 2011
DFW, TX
Tried a cheap-o ebay case and my d-30 case (as well as no case at all) and callers experience the call echo regardless. It's really not that bad, but it is JUST bad enough to annoy the hell out of anyone you're talking to for any length of time.

Hope somebody comes up with a real fix soon

Reactions: bbobarino

ElectricBubble

Dec 3, 2011
Lethbridge
I'd try flashing a few modems to see if one reduces or remover the issue for you.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using XDA Premium. Running on M&S's Tuesday.

jshickam

Nov 9, 2006
I covered the noise cancelling microphone on the top with a couple of small pieces of electrical tape (under my case) and it almost went away. I am not sure why covering that mic helps but it seems to. Try putting your finger on it and see if it stops echoing.

chasport

Mar 31, 2012
There IS A FIX for this.

While in call, hit the "Menu" soft-key on your phone and a menu pops up where you can turn off "noise reduction"

1.Do that
2.?????
3.Profit

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have this issue if I have q case on it. The d30 case was horrible. With out a case tho its fine.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium
    turn down incoming volume

I had same problem and found somewhere in the forum that suggesting to turn down the incoming call volume. so I did and the echo was almost dissapear.
    I guess this could be temp fix until someone come up with something else. :D
    Tried a cheap-o ebay case and my d-30 case (as well as no case at all) and callers experience the call echo regardless. It's really not that bad, but it is JUST bad enough to annoy the hell out of anyone you're talking to for any length of time.

Hope somebody comes up with a real fix soon