[Q]Should I change to the Xperia S From One X?

Search This thread

ItsMyMama

Nov 20, 2011
Hey guys,

Had the One X for two weeks. The screen in particular is really sharp and nice. Though it uses tegra 3, the amount of lag can still be seen.. and the battery really sucks. Rooted and custom roms doesnt solve all this so...

Have any of you guys used both and can comment if its worth the trade?(Have a friend that wants to trade). I really like Sony and its software optimisations (have the tablet s and used a arc previously )

Please share some opinions on this.

nl2008

Jul 17, 2008
You should change to Xperia S like i did. I'm regret to buy one X. My Xperia S never have any yellow tint issue, just perfect :)

ItsMyMama

Nov 20, 2011

shmoejoe

Jan 9, 2011
Zuid-Holland
Most of us have yellow tint. So if yellow tint isn't an issue for you... then no one is stopping you :D. LOL.

It's not most of us, its 50/50 of the registered users on the forum...

I still have my 12w8 phone, and my partner as well, and we have no sign of yellow tint (both phones above 40 multiple times)

It's pretty much a lottery if you get the yellow tint, but if you do (unless you order the phone from ebay or so) you can get it fixed/replaced.

The signs can vary, to a light blotch to rather large. Sony has in most countries acknowledged the problem, and will fix it under warranty.

Anyways, in the screen problem thread, there's info with pictures around. It seems to not be limited by batch number, and the problems vary between the devices.

Last edited:

somemadcaaant

Apr 28, 2010
Android Wear
OnePlus 7T Pro
I highly highly doubt it's 50% of the phones in current rotation thru out the world, the One X has this issue also, more likely its as Sony has stated a small percentage that has this screen glitch which u can take back for a clean swap.

This can affected nearly all phones.

Cant really comment on the battery performance of the One X but the screen lag happens in all phones, more then likely future roms will lesson the signs of any lag as they experiment with it more, why not give the phone a few months u haven't had it anywhere near long enough to make these kinds of judgments imo.

The Xperia S and One X are great phones, top of the line and brand new.

No screen issues on my XPS 12w9 version here.

-smc

shmoejoe

Jan 9, 2011
Zuid-Holland
that's why i said "Registered users on the forum" ;)

There was a poll done on the forum and it was about 50%, and yea I agree, it isn't anywhere near a majority.

I believe Sony even said it was a small percentage, and it could even be that the percentage on the forum is about the only people experiencing it or even noticing it :p who knows.

Last edited:

idtyu

Dec 5, 2008
If hardware specification ( which is crazy for a phone ) , maybe camera and HTC sense is important for you , don't switch.

But anything else , Xperia wins . The reception(signal) , GPS , screen , sound ( however you will have to play around a bit with the eq) , user-friendliness ( that depends, for me , a LED notification light, the timescape, and the Xperia UI is something i cannot live without) and of course developer support ( which HTC locks its bootloader, and rooting your device will still void your warranty if i am not wrong. Sony doesn't, they will just restore it back ... ) .

But hardware specification still matters to a lot, people have the mentality that quad-core on a phone is so very essential ...

ItsMyMama

Nov 20, 2011
I don't know about others, but I will consider to be most unlucky with this yellow tint case. I'm having my third replacement with yellow tint yet again. Now I'm waiting for parts (LCD Screen) to fix this issue.

@OP, my current phone and my first phone only had the tint at the bottom (as all the users out there who have this issue), but my second phone was the worse with yellow tint at the sides and top right corner as well.

I don't have a One X so I can't comment on that :)

If hardware specification ( which is crazy for a phone ) , maybe camera and HTC sense is important for you , don't switch.

But anything else , Xperia wins . The reception(signal) , GPS , screen , sound ( however you will have to play around a bit with the eq) , user-friendliness ( that depends, for me , a LED notification light, the timescape, and the Xperia UI is something i cannot live without) and of course developer support ( which HTC locks its bootloader, and rooting your device will still void your warranty if i am not wrong. Sony doesn't, they will just restore it back ... ) .

But hardware specification still matters to a lot, people have the mentality that quad-core on a phone is so very essential ...

I like sense tbh. But the software just cant take full advantage of Tegra 3 + the ram.

I highly highly doubt it's 50% of the phones in current rotation thru out the world, the One X has this issue also, more likely its as Sony has stated a small percentage that has this screen glitch which u can take back for a clean swap.

Cant really comment on the battery performance of the One X but the screen lag happens in all phones, more then likely future roms will lesson the signs of any lag as they experiment with it more, why not give the phone a few months u haven't had it anywhere near long enough to make these kinds of judgments imo.

-smc

ROMs will make a difference but HTC themselves thinks that the battery is normal. This is what turns me off.. future updates may or may not improve battery unlike the Xperia which I heard has updates to improve battery.

I guess I will go to the store to see the yellow tint and compare both..

kitsVA

Jan 16, 2009
I used both for a week or two extensively and ended selling both. One X felt too huge, boring look, Sense belongs to Windows Mobile 6.5 world. While there are ways to make it faster and smoother with other launchers and ROMs, i prefer the stock to be one of the best options like Xperia.

Xperia S felt too long than it needs to be for its screen size, too thick, Capacitive buttons that need practice to get right, and the cover to USB port is meaningless.

Waiting for Xperia P even though the dimensions are again too big for 4"screen. I just love/prefer Sony designs and UI.

Sent from my LT18i using xda premium

electrash

Aug 31, 2011
Mali Lošinj - Rijeka
Xperia S is a way faster then One X and less battery cosumption.

To prove that, watch on youtube Xperia S VS HTC One X.
Camera is faster on sxs, browsing is faster on sxs (just to mention we still dont have ICS)
which improve this to things a LOT.

:)

Alfa Kenny One

Oct 12, 2009
Rotterdam
Yellow tint issue

Guys, what i noticed about the yellow tint issue. If you have a device from 12W11 and higher, you won't have the yellow tint issue. Most devices beneath have that issue ****.

If you open your batterycover you'll see an number. for example 12w09 you will most chance of a yellow tinted screen :D

dibdin

Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Guys, what i noticed about the yellow tint issue. If you have a device from 12W11 and higher, you won't have the yellow tint issue. Most devices beneath have that issue ****.

If you open your batterycover you'll see an number. for example 12w09 you will most chance of a yellow tinted screen :D

I had one 12W11 which had both the hotspot and yellow tint. Other users have experienced yellow tint with batches of a later date than W11 too

kdroid79

Apr 19, 2012
Pune

i had a xps from batch 12w12 - yellow tint at the bottom and the top corners. i think at the end of the day its like a coin flip, you either get the tint or not. still waiting on my replacement.

Razje

Sep 7, 2010
I have the Xperia S and my girlfriend has the One X.
Both great phones, but i'm a tiny bit disappointed by the One X

I don't know if it's because of Sense or because of the optimization from HTC.
But it feels like the One X has more lag and stutters than the Xperia S.

Xperia S is always so smooth, it almost never lags or stutters in any way.
And imo the Xperia S has great batterylife for such a powerfull phone.

im_iceman

Apr 7, 2010
Alsager
Sony will replace if you get the yellow tint problem.. Don't worry about that.. I know a couple of people who had both and have both sold the HTC.. Can't go wrong with the Sony.. Quad core seems to add nothing.. and kills the battery!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using XDA Premium HD app

Alfa Kenny One

Oct 12, 2009
Rotterdam
I had one 12W11 which had both the hotspot and yellow tint. Other users have experienced yellow tint with batches of a later date than W11 too

i had a xps from batch 12w12 - yellow tint at the bottom and the top corners. i think at the end of the day its like a coin flip, you either get the tint or not. still waiting on my replacement.

Well then i am lucky then.. In dutch forums i can conclude most people complain about the yellow tint and their devices are from 12w11 beneath:)

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Hey guys,

Had the One X for two weeks. The screen in particular is really sharp and nice. Though it uses tegra 3, the amount of lag can still be seen.. and the battery really sucks. Rooted and custom roms doesnt solve all this so...

Have any of you guys used both and can comment if its worth the trade?(Have a friend that wants to trade). I really like Sony and its software optimisations (have the tablet s and used a arc previously )

well i would suggest u first check what u want in a device... if u want a brilliant screen great camera and dont worry too much about "tons of custom roms" then the obvious choice is Xperia S...

what are u looking for in the device?

-smc

i have 12w11 and dont have yellow tint issues...

battery life of the One X is HORRIBLE... even though it has 1800mAh battery it suck it like crazy... i got fedup and gave the One X to my bro to use :p

to be honest the camera and screen of Xperia S are WAY better than One X

I like sense tbh. But the software just cant take full advantage of Tegra 3 + the ram.

Android cant take full advantage of the hardware... just recently it has started using dual-cores properly...

I used both for a week or two extensively and ended selling both. One X felt too huge, boring look, Sense belongs to Windows Mobile 6.5 world. While there are ways to make it faster and smoother with other launchers and ROMs, i prefer the stock to be one of the best options like Xperia.

Xperia S felt too long than it needs to be for its screen size, too thick, Capacitive buttons that need practice to get right, and the cover to USB port is meaningless.

Waiting for Xperia P even though the dimensions are again too big for 4"screen. I just love/prefer Sony designs and UI.

very good decision!

Camera is faster on sxs, browsing is faster on sxs (just to mention we still dont have ICS)

the video regarding browser is not accurate

Sony will replace if you get the yellow tint problem.. Don't worry about that.. I know a couple of people who had both and have both sold the HTC.. Can't go wrong with the Sony.. Quad core seems to add nothing.. and kills the battery!

quad core is a HUGE battery hog... even while calling the device HEATS up a LOT!!!

Reactions: TiesB

Goobacks

Dec 17, 2009
Arizona
I love my xperia s, have no issues so far, and no yellow that I can tell. But that said I want a one x to play with. So if anybody wants to trade for my xperia s let me know ;) lol

Sent from my LT26i using xda premium

ItsMyMama

Nov 20, 2011
well i would suggest u first check what u want in a device... if u want a brilliant screen great camera and dont worry too much about "tons of custom roms" then the obvious choice is Xperia S...

battery life of the One X is HORRIBLE... even though it has 1800mAh battery it suck it like crazy... i got fedup and gave the One X to my bro to use :p

Android cant take full advantage of the hardware... just recently it has started using dual-cores properly...

very good decision!

quad core is a HUGE battery hog... even while calling the device HEATS up a LOT!!!

I wouldnt care a lot about custom ROMs. Though its fun to flash :D

What I'm looking for:
-Nice screen
-Battery life thats decent (HOX cant even read the battery properly)
-Nice camera
-Nice deisgn
-Fast web browsing.

So whats your opinion on this? I noticed you have both since you made a kernel for the hox and xs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

-smc

very good decision!

Interesting thread. I am one of those who gave up on the OneX after 3 weeks and got an Xperia S. BTW I love Samsung's Galaxy Note but my wife won't give it back to me. Here are some practical comments I would like to share.

My OneX did not have yellow dots but if I pressed a little too hard on the upper left corner, I would see a LCD ripple. Didn't give me much confidence. The camera's pictures was not as good as an iPhone 4 which I suppose is a benchmark. It sure focussed fast but f2.0 didn't help much with motion blur indoors, but that's par I guess. The video was awful and usually I could only get a 20 fps framerate, 30fps required bright sunlight and even then the video seemed choppy. This was at 720p even. But, I will miss: the voice input on the HTC was almost "realtime" - it's amazingly helpful. And also, the sound was really good with the Beats profile, even with other headphones being used. Also, the ability to mount the hard disk easily on a mac was also great. Lastly, the HTC keyboard was very easy to type on. Almost forgot: I got a "loading" wait time every 1 in 20 presses of the home button on the HTC and would have to wait for the launcher to load. And HTC also cluttered up by notes in my contacts list with Sense info. So many annoyances. So ditched it.

So going to Sony, I lose the ability to mount my disk (i am encountering bugs with Sony Bridge on my mac - duplicate folders, messy stuff like that), lose the awesome voice typing, miss Beats audio (not a big deal though). I also miss HTC's Facebook integration, I think it better than the way Sony does it. I liked HTC's camera filters but I guess 3rd party software like CameraZoom would do that too.

I like the Sony's music player simplicity and the studio surround simulation sounded kinda neat for some time on my S4a Klipsch earphones. I love the ability to use the shutter button to take a quick snap, and the pictures are fairly decent, I would say slightly under par with iPhone, but still nice. Video seems to be about as good as you can expect from a phone. The phone is fast enough for most expectations. + I like the coloured notification light! By the way conversations seem to be more clear on the Sony, and the speaker is better too on the Sony. I also like the ease of HDMI out but don't like that the screen has to stay on when using it. But, I get a lot of clutter when using the HDMI when the phone is jumping from different screens - maybe a change of resolution is making the HDMI go crazy (is this normal?). I did not try HDMI out with the HTC.

I thought 4.7" was nicer size than 4.3" screen, but could get used to the difference I suppose. It's all small after using a Galaxy Note.

I don't like that Sony used a different standard on the headphone jack so that my old iphone headsets won't work with it. I don't like having to use a thumbdrive to transfer my stuff to my phone rather than connect directly (with a mac). I thought I could use Google Wallet but doesn't seem to support Xperia (and maybe it's not such a great idea anyways).

As for battery life, I think both are pretty comparable. Neither is very good, but neither was my SG2. My Galaxy Note was the only phone I thought could hold its own on battery life. I know the HTC is supposed to have a new firmware that dealt with battery and the HTC sense crash but I didn't have much confidence in the quality assurance of HTC at this point. My friend has already returned two phones already.

I am rambling. Overall, the Sony will tie me over for now, until the Samsung SG3 gets here! End my review (rant) of practical issues with both phones.

Cheers
    Ken

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

One more comment on the Sony - for some reason - there is no speed dialing and also no groups. I possibly this will change with ICS update?

Rgds
    Ken
    screen showing yellow tints when battery temp reach 40 c deg

Get a replacement, it's free in any Sony store.

Sent from my LT26i using XDA
    i already sent my phone to Sony service centre, i don't know how long it will take, its there since 3 days. i think they will fix it not replace it

Mine originally took 12 days and they Sony replaced it.