LG Optimus G (E970) Teardown (Pics)

Search This thread

g33k3r

Apr 28, 2011
What type of torx did you use to remove the backplate? After removing the backplate and important precautions beside the adhesive tape I need to take note on before removing the battery? Thank you for the post by the way.

T5 torx to remove bottom screws.

Sent from my LG-E970 using xda premium

notown775

Nov 11, 2009
Reno
quick question. there is a crack by the volume rocker. if I purchased a back would the side be good to go??

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364140134143.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364140134143.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 655

mikl0018

Mar 29, 2012
I don't think so

I really don't think that after replacing the back panel/battery cover on this phone that your side volume rocker crack will be repaired. I got sides with the screen assembly I purchased but the back fits on top and into that frame - it does not have sides. I'm pretty positive that will be the case.

On another note does anyone have a better source for a replacement back than this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-LG-...426?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec6cc7402 From an earlier post this vendor appears to be out of stock: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150951735574?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 but may reduce the price back over a decimal point if they get more???

Also here is the best price I can find for the screen replacement - they were out of stock but have some now and they are about $16 less than Ebay http://www.etradesupply.com/oem-lg-...nd-digitizer-assembly-with-front-housing.html - wish they had backs...

Thank you,

So the phone would be back as close to "mint" as possible..

this one X+ feels like a one X

greyDrifter

Apr 13, 2013
Digitizer Replacement

Dropped my phone and damaged the digitizer, screen, and back.
Replacement part arrived six days later, took less than an hour exploring along the way.

What is the best way to do a hardware diagnostic?

I concur with saschlac's assessment the screen is not easy to replace. The phone is built on the framework of the screen.

Observations from the process:

- If the back is cracked the pressure exerted to loosen the back cover will finish the job. Cover it with clear tape before attempting not after and many of the tiny shards will be contained.

- While pen caps are a nice non-conductive pry tool. (Probably the reason why the back looks the way it does.) There is a second row of catches in line with the SD and SIM cards that a longer tool is needed to remove.

-I used a T5 on the bottom and a PH00 for the internal screws. If your PH00 is distorted or thicker than it should be the screws are difficult to break free. The third PH00 I tried worked.

- The foil covering the Synapnes chip will rip.

- When removing the main board, be careful around the camera facing the screen. In the image ...-00362 you will see some brown. where the traces have been lifted away and the solder remained on the main board. That camera is non-functioning atm, reflowing isn't going to fix it. Looks like it should lift with the main board. Also there is a small adhesive ring, possibly foam tape, that attaches the camera to the screen.
Would it be better to pull this out entirely rather that risk an intermittent connection?

- Audio jack / sensor is attached by double stick tape, the easiest way to remove it is inserting a screw driver into the jack and prying upward. Proper application of leverage.

- Battery is secured with double stick tape.

- The traces beneath the motor and speaker are delicate and held down by double stick tape. As is the bar that receives the three buttons. Nervewrecking.

- The three most difficult parts were removing the button bar (delicate), the secondary camera (damaged / blind), and the back cover (blind).

PM me with the best method to upload the 18 images (21.2 MB) if you think they should be added to this thread.

LifeLineRepairs has a video of a portion of the teardown on youtube.
/watch?v=S4uspcvx3f0

Attachments

• IMG-20111221-00372.jpg
    IMG-20111221-00372.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 737
  • IMG-20111221-00368.jpg
    IMG-20111221-00368.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG-20111221-00369.jpg
    IMG-20111221-00369.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 637
  • IMG-20111221-00355.jpg
    IMG-20111221-00355.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 622
  • IMG-20111221-00362.jpg
    IMG-20111221-00362.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 584
Last edited:
Reactions: bleached45

Tyler44346

Does anyone know where the vibration motor is on the Optimus G? I've searched through the pictures and i didnt see anything about it. Last night my phone grew legs and ran half way across the room while i was sleeping. Now vibration wont work. I'm not sure if i should try to restore my phone to see if its a problem within the software, or tinker with the motor, if its a problem with the hardware.

Thanks

350zx6r

Aug 29, 2011
Florida
how do you actually open? Because I see your pictures but it doesnt show how to open. I took a trip down to another country and used their SIM card but it seems that it got jammed and it went all the way in. at&t wont even look at the phone and lg wants me to ship the phone, I dont think is necessary. Will I need any special tools?

tavocabe

Sep 5, 2010
Monterrey
Dropped my phone and damaged the digitizer, screen, and back.
Replacement part arrived six days later, took less than an hour exploring along the way.

PM me with the best method to upload the 18 images (21.2 MB) if you think they should be added to this thread.

LifeLineRepairs has a video of a portion of the teardown on youtube.
/watch?v=S4uspcvx3f0

The LifeLineRepairs video is showing the E975 model I think, is it very similar to the At&t version?

Also, can you upload those 18 images? They will help a lot. My digitizer is dead, and I dont seem to find good tutorials/videos on how to replace it.

greyDrifter

Apr 13, 2013
per request.

"PM me with the best method to upload the 18 images."
Photos taken 07/19/2013 10:50 AM

I hate Captcha.

richx10

Jul 20, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
lefteye.photos
I was recently forced to perform my own screen replacement due to drop damage, and nobody in my country seems to have access to the spare parts or have done this before. From my own reading, many of the tear-down steps shown at iFixit for the Nexus 4 also apply to my E975 Optimus G. You may find also similar videos on YouTube.

On iFixit's page for Optimus G is also a link to a PDF file. This seems to be some kind of service procedure, and it's worked for me.

Photos of my repair work can be found at http(s)www(dot)facebook(dot)com/media/set/?set=a.10151721334369826.1073741827.515234825&type=1&l=3ca1fa7f06. I ordered and used the replacement part from Etradesupply.com which also comes with the front housing, saving me from having to use a heat-gun, which was very promptly shipped to me.

This was the first time I attempted any repair on a mobile phone, and I was very nervous. But these resources have helped me tremendously. I hope you guys will find it useful too.

(As a new user here, I was banned from posting links ... so it was all removed from my message)

tavocabe

Sep 5, 2010
Monterrey
I was recently forced to perform my own screen replacement due to drop damage, and nobody in my country seems to have access to the spare parts or have done this before. From my own reading, many of the tear-down steps shown at iFixit for the Nexus 4 also apply to my E975 Optimus G. You may find also similar videos on YouTube.

On iFixit's page for Optimus G is also a link to a PDF file. This seems to be some kind of service procedure, and it's worked for me.

Photos of my repair work can be found at http(s)www(dot)facebook(dot)com/media/set/?set=a.10151721334369826.1073741827.515234825&type=1&l=3ca1fa7f06. I ordered and used the replacement part from Etradesupply.com which also comes with the front housing, saving me from having to use a heat-gun, which was very promptly shipped to me.

This was the first time I attempted any repair on a mobile phone, and I was very nervous. But these resources have helped me tremendously. I hope you guys will find it useful too.

(As a new user here, I was banned from posting links ... so it was all removed from my message)

I want to buy the same screen with the front housing from etrade too but it says it's out of stock, how could you buy it?

sasoq

Mar 25, 2011
Elk Grove
I see a Canadian version optimus g 13mp rear camera for sale, would it fit in the Lg E970? Does anyone have thoughts or info on this? would greatly appreciate it :fingers-crossed:

endeavor2908

Oct 19, 2012
Wow

Awesome post, definitely a huge thank button for that, I even laugh seeing a SAMSUNG chip on this phone

delacheol

Sep 10, 2013
Screen + Digitizer Replacement completed

It took me a while to make the decision to take the leap and pry open my phone, but I did it and all seems to be working so far... (knock on wood). I was originally going to take it to a local repair shop but they didn't have the parts and short of me looking over their shoulder I can't be sure what they're going to do. In any case, consulting this forum helped me get started in the right direction so thanks to everyone who posted here.

Good news: 2 videos are available on youtube for the E970 (AT&T version) AND etradesupply seems to have restocked the screen + digitizer + case assembly

The first video is more thorough with audio commentary.
Title: LG Optimus G E970 Screen Replacement Repair Guide (by RepairsUniverse)
watch?v=-XCAsHJ6t4Y

In case anything is unclear, as it was for me, consult the second video. The approaches are slightly different.
Title: LG Optimus G E970 Screen Replacement (by LifeLineRepairs)
watch?v=TMFf3CSrTgw

The part that I worked with is the LCD Screen + Digitizer Assembly with Front Housing. This includes the metal front and side metal frame that houses everything minus the back panel. You can save a couple bucks by getting just the LCD Screen + Digitizer Assembly but that requires heating and removal of the display/digitizer from the housing and installing the new one with "adhesive strips" and I didn't really want to down that route.

etradesupply seems to have restocked their supply just days after I ordered mine from ebay so I can't vouch for etradesupply, personally, but they're referenced in numerous places. The seller I ordered from on ebay is eoqkr153 and ships fast and free. The part seems genuine OEM, brand new and in perfect working order. Coincidentally my original LCD had a dead pixel (after I dropped the phone) and it annoyed the heck out of me. Also, etradesupply is cheaper.

* FEW THINGS TO NOTE:
- The part did not come with any tools, but ebay has tons available. I got a set for $3 including expedited shipping and came with 4 torx drivers, the pry tool (flimsy but got the job done) and some other stuff.
- The first video sort of glossed over the removal of the front-facing camera so watch the second video for reference. (Sorry, I didn't have the presence of mind to take pictures during the repair.)
- As the video says, be gentle and patient with the battery. I bent mine ever so slightly, but it survived the transfer.
- The videos don't cover the SIM / SD card door. My part didn't come with one attached so I removed it from the old frame. It's pretty self explanatory and doesn't require any tools.
- When reassembling, be sure to tuck in the antenna wires snug into the frame, especially the shorter black one on the left side (when LCD side is facing down). I didn't do this and the wire was getting in the way of one of the clips when I was trying to put the back panel back on.

Good luck.

Reactions: adfurgerson

Top Liked Posts