[Q] Cannot Download OTA

Search This thread

Nilpo

Dec 23, 2013
New Springfield
I have an AT&T HOX+ running stock. It's unlocked via HTC and rooted. I cannot download any OTAs. I learned the hard way that you cannot download OTAs if you have any stock apps disabled so I've re-enabled them. Now it goes through the motions and finds the update, but when I connect to Wifi all I see is a blank message as seen in the attached screenshot.

Attachments

• 2014-01-26_21-59-17.jpg
    2014-01-26_21-59-17.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 549

droids@m

Dec 16, 2012
Bangalore
I have an AT&T HOX+ running stock. It's unlocked via HTC and rooted. I cannot download any OTAs. I learned the hard way that you cannot download OTAs if you have any stock apps disabled so I've re-enabled them. Now it goes through the motions and finds the update, but when I connect to Wifi all I see is a blank message as seen in the attached screenshot.

Maybe Unroot and try.......

ryandroid226

Jan 19, 2014
Atlanta, GA
You must first flash the stock recovery and then relock bootloader using the command "fastboot oem lock" in fastboot. The stock recovery.img can be flashed using the fastboot command "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" where "recovery.img" is replaced with whatever your recovery name is and .img. Make sure you flash the recovery before relocking. Root should not mess up the update although you will lose root after the update. I updated while the device was still rooted!

Sent from my HTC One X+ using xda developers app

Nilpo

Dec 23, 2013
New Springfield
You must first flash the stock recovery and then relock bootloader using the command "fastboot oem lock" in fastboot. The stock recovery.img can be flashed using the fastboot command "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" where "recovery.img" is replaced with whatever your recovery name is and .img. Make sure you flash the recovery before relocking. Root should not mess up the update although you will lose root after the update. I updated while the device was still rooted!

So there's no way to update and run a custom recovery? If I have to relock the bootloader, I can't unlock again without factory wiping.

Why can't HTC just get the bluetooth right from the start? How did they even release a phone when BT doesn't work?

ryandroid226

Jan 19, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Is there a way to unroot without losing data? I haven't found one yet.

It's not the unrooting that will cause you to lose any data or other content on your device. It is the re-unlocking of the bootloader or the running of a RUU. AFAIK, there is no way to keep your device contents while you update the radio and hboot. The only option is to backup contents of SD, backup apps using Google or TiBU, and backup sms and call log. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure this is how it goes. With that being said, it is not mandatory that you upgrade the radio/hboot in order to install a ROM that is sense 5/JB 4.2.2. There are already ROM's out there for AT&T built on this base

droids@m

Dec 16, 2012
Bangalore
Is there a way to unroot without losing data? I haven't found one yet.

Yeah u can unroot using SuperSU App itself from the setting choose Full Unroot........

Unintsall all the root Apps too since it unnecessary to have then without root.......

Flash the Stock recovery and relock the bootloader and then check for updates.....:good:

Nilpo

Dec 23, 2013
New Springfield
It's not the unrooting that will cause you to lose any data or other content on your device. It is the re-unlocking of the bootloader or the running of a RUU. AFAIK, there is no way to keep your device contents while you update the radio and hboot. The only option is to backup contents of SD, backup apps using Google or TiBU, and backup sms and call log. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure this is how it goes. With that being said, it is not mandatory that you upgrade the radio/hboot in order to install a ROM that is sense 5/JB 4.2.2. There are already ROM's out there for AT&T built on this base

If I unroot and install the OTA, and then unlock the bootloader again, with it keep the updated firmware or drop back to factory?

If I'm going through all this trouble, maybe I should be looking at a custom ROM. Any suggestions for a Sense 5 one built on AT&T? I haven't seen one for this phone.

droids@m

Dec 16, 2012
Bangalore
If I unroot and install the OTA, and then unlock the bootloader again, with it keep the updated firmware or drop back to factory?

If I'm going through all this trouble, maybe I should be looking at a custom ROM. Any suggestions for a Sense 5 one built on AT&T? I haven't seen one for this phone.

The unlocking will wipe ur Storage.....but u ll have the update of 4.2.2..

there are few Custom ROMS with Sense 5 u can go through this Forum

Reactions: Nilpo

ryandroid226

Jan 19, 2014
Atlanta, GA

If you update via the OTA then your factory firmware WILL be updated. Maybe you can request that a dev make a ROM that is stock and rooted sense5/JB 4.2.2, you might grab the interest of someone.. That way you could have a "stock" image of the ROM and avoid the radio/hboot upgrade. Otherwise, you will just have to go through the update process, wiping your device. IMO, backing everything up is not too painstaking and it is a good practice to do this periodically anyways. Just my .02!

Sent from my HTC One X+ using xda app-developers app

Nilpo

Dec 23, 2013
New Springfield
Backing up isn't too difficult on JB. I've done it manually as well as with Helium and other apps throughout the rooting/experimenting process. It's been my experience that those app backups don't restore properly and I'm left starting over anyway. The issues could be app specific, but I honestly don't remember which apps didn't work now.

Of course, I suppose it's all a small price to pay to have a phone that actually works when I connect my BT headset.

mrbillishere

Aug 18, 2012
Chicago
Where does one find the stock recovery?

I hope this isn't silly, but I've been running custom recovery forever and I'm blanking as to where to locate/d-load the stock recovery.

thanks!

mrbillishere

Aug 18, 2012
Chicago
Not sill at all. I have an image that I believe is the stock recovery, but how can I be sure?

OK, well after dusting off the cobwebs and reading some threads for the Intl version I learned this... the stock firmware will also contain the radios and stock recovery. So now I'm looking for the correct firmware to match my phone's CID and Modelid. The command to dump these variables out is 'fastboot getvar all'

My AT&T OneX+ reported this:

(bootloader) modelid: PM6310000
(bootloader) cidnum: CWS__001

There's a txt file in the firmware.zip that will contain a list of the applicable CID numbers the firmware can apply to. Evidently since our phones are S-on an entry in the list must correspond to the device's reported CID.

So now I'm searching for an updated firmware.zip

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The unlocking will wipe ur Storage.....but u ll have the update of 4.2.2..

there are few Custom ROMS with Sense 5 u can go through this Forum

If you update via the OTA then your factory firmware WILL be updated. Maybe you can request that a dev make a ROM that is stock and rooted sense5/JB 4.2.2, you might grab the interest of someone.. That way you could have a "stock" image of the ROM and avoid the radio/hboot upgrade. Otherwise, you will just have to go through the update process, wiping your device. IMO, backing everything up is not too painstaking and it is a good practice to do this periodically anyways. Just my .02!

Sent from my HTC One X+ using xda app-developers app
    Where does one find the stock recovery?

I hope this isn't silly, but I've been running custom recovery forever and I'm blanking as to where to locate/d-load the stock recovery.

thanks!